Author Topic: ABC Brat Camp  (Read 37182 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
ABC Brat Camp
« on: April 30, 2005, 01:10:00 PM »
The ABC version of Brat Camp is set to air soon:

http://www.realitytvworld.com/index/art ... php?s=3452

Sometime in July, ABC will debut its other two summer reality series -- Brat Camp and Welcome To The Neighborhood.

Like Dancing With The Stars, Brat Camp is based on a United Kingdom program of the same name created by Twenty Twenty Productions. Produced stateside by Arnold Shapiro and Allison Grodner (the same folks responsible for the last four editions of CBS's Big Brother, UPN's The Road To Stardom With Missy Elliott, Bravo's Blow Out, etc.), Brat Camp will follow six families that decide to send their troubled teenagers to the Sagewalk Wilderness Therapy Camp, a therapeutic wilderness intervention program located in the high desert country of Central Oregon.

"This show will feel more like a documentary than most reality shows," said Wong told Daily Variety when the network first announced plans for the show back in January. "It won't feel as fabricated."

If the concept sounds familiar to some diehard reality viewers, it should -- the network's ABC Family cable channel aired broadcasts of the original UK Brat Camp series earlier this year.

According to Variety, the nine participants range in ages between 14 and 19, and while they're not delinquents, Grodner stated that "virtually all of them are doing illegal things involving drugs and alcohol."

Despite the fact that ABC describes Sagewalk as a "boot camp-style program" in its press announcement, Grodner had stressed to Variety that the program wasn't an adolescent boot camp. "This is not about yelling or screaming at kids. It's not a military camp," she told the trade paper. "It's about taking kids out of their comfort zone, getting them back to basics and helping them learn how to face their issues."
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
ABC Brat Camp
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2005, 01:30:00 PM »
I feel like I woke up in Orwell's 1984 recently.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
ABC Brat Camp
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2005, 08:56:00 AM »
http://www.thefutoncritic.com/cgi/pr.cg ... 50526abc03

ABC TO PREMIERE A NEW REALITY SERIES, ?BRAT CAMP," WEDNESDAY, JULY 13
Released by ABC

What would you do with a teen that curses at you, breaks the law in your house and doesn?t listen to anything you say? That?s the dilemma facing six families with out-of-control teenagers in ABC?s new reality series, ?Brat Camp,? announced today to premiere with a two-hour special broadcast, WEDNESDAY, JULY 13 (8:00-10:00 p.m., ET) on the ABC Television Network. The six families make that tough choice and decide to send their kids to Sagewalk Wilderness Therapy Camp, a boot camp-style program in the wilds of Oregon, in the desperate hope that, once it?s over, they will get back the children they once knew and loved.
 ::puke::

?Brat Camp? is from Shapiro/Grodner Productions and Twenty Twenty Productions with Arnold Shapiro, Allison Grodner, Peter Casely-Hayford, Jamie Isaacs and Claudia Milne serving as executive producers.

Offline Nihilanthic

• View Profile
ABC Brat Camp
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2005, 12:17:00 PM »
Orwell? you betcha! Nothing like doublespeak.

"This is not about yelling or screaming at kids. It's not a military camp," she told the trade paper. "It's about taking kids out of their comfort zone, getting them back to basics and helping them learn how to face their issues."

It is not about breaking them down... oh, it IS about breaking them down. Both states at once... so its quantum bullshit?  :lol:

Now, this little gem of a line here makes me laugh:
The six families make that tough choice and decide to send their kids to Sagewalk Wilderness Therapy Camp, a boot camp-style program in the wilds of Oregon, in the desperate hope that, once it?s over, they will get back the children they once knew and loved.

So, it IS a boot camp? LOL. Aaanyway... why do rational human beings listen to bullshit such as "we desperately hope that once its over, we'll get back the children we once knew and loved."

So, no idea about how it works, no details whatsoever, except it is what it isn't, and it isn't what it is, and these teenagers are going to just MAGICALLY turn back into the kids they once knew? Hallelujah! What a lovely innocent way to say that they want their kid 'broken down' and regressed into a childlike state. Hmm, where have I seen that before?

Oh yeah, psychological regression is brainwashing, and the north koreans pioneered this bullshit, and we've been messing with it in various forms (SEED, Straight, et all) for decades.

To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical.
http://laissezfairebooks.com/product.cfm?op=view&pid=FF7485&aid=10247' target='_new'> Thomas Jefferson

DannyB on the internet:I CALLED A LAWYER TODAY TO SEE IF I COULD SUE YOUR ASSES FOR DOING THIS BUT THAT WAS NOT POSSIBLE.

CCMGirl on program restraints: "DON\'T TAZ ME BRO!!!!!"

TheWho on program survivors: "From where I sit I see all the anit-program[sic] people doing all the complaining and crying."

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
ABC Brat Camp
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2005, 03:51:00 AM »
Just wanted to point out that it appears you are confusing TWO DIFFERENT TELEVISION SHOWS.  

The original "Brat Camp" was an English show featuring SIX familes who sent their kids to a 'bootcamp' in the States...it won some awards in Europe, and had a repeat airing several months ago on the ABC Family Channel (hence the confusion).

The UPCOMING "BRAT CAMP" is produced by Shapiro/Grodner Productions and sends NINE kids to a camp in Oregon called Sagewalk, which, for the record, is NOT a bootcamp...but is indeed an award winning wilderness therapy program, where certified clinical therapists try to help troubled teens deal with the difficult issues of their lives.  No one is yelling at these kids or telling them to "drop and give me 20!"  No double-speak intended, it just may be that your definition of a "bootcamp" is different than mine.  

This new "BRAT CAMP" is a well-made, uplifting and emotional series...and you might want to watch an episode or two before making premature judgements based on incomplete 'research.'  

I'm not trying to brainwash you or anything...it's just that you might actually like it!  I hope you do anyway.  It was a labor of love for all involved.  And I'm very proud of this show.

Sincerely,

John Platt
Co-Executive Producer, "Brat Camp" (the new American one...!)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
ABC Brat Camp
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2005, 04:12:00 AM »
On 2005-06-04 00:51:00, Anonymous wrote:

"Just wanted to point out that it appears you are confusing TWO DIFFERENT TELEVISION SHOWS.  

The original "Brat Camp" was an English show featuring SIX familes who sent their kids to a 'bootcamp' in the States...it won some awards in Europe, and had a repeat airing several months ago on the ABC Family Channel (hence the confusion).

The UPCOMING "BRAT CAMP" is produced by Shapiro/Grodner Productions and sends NINE kids to a camp in Oregon called Sagewalk, which, for the record, is NOT a bootcamp...but is indeed an award winning wilderness therapy program, where certified clinical therapists try to help troubled teens deal with the difficult issues of their lives.  No one is yelling at these kids or telling them to "drop and give me 20!"  No double-speak intended, it just may be that your definition of a "bootcamp" is different than mine.  

This new "BRAT CAMP" is a well-made, uplifting and emotional series...and you might want to watch an episode or two before making premature judgements based on incomplete 'research.'  

I'm not trying to brainwash you or anything...it's just that you might actually like it!  I hope you do anyway.  It was a labor of love for all involved.  And I'm very proud of this show.

Sincerely,

John Platt

Co-Executive Producer, "Brat Camp" (the new American one...!)"

There is nothing "uplifting" about promoting these programs on TV! There is nothing "uplifting" about knowing that people will be duped into thinking that sending their children to these programs is a good idea-- BECAUSE OF YOUR SHOW!

How can you people live with yourselves? Do you realize how many children died and how many children are being abused at this very moment at various wilderness and residential programs? Promoting such programs in the media is like promoting poison-drinking for sport.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
ABC Brat Camp
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2005, 04:16:00 PM »
You are just plain wrong.  Please do some research on Wilderness Therapy, SageWalk and the numerous other wilderness programs before you make statements like the below. :???:

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
ABC Brat Camp
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2005, 06:29:00 PM »
On 2005-06-06 13:16:00, Anonymous wrote:

"You are just plain wrong.  Please do some research on Wilderness Therapy, SageWalk and the numerous other wilderness programs before you make statements like the below. :???: "

You are just plain wrong.  Please do some research on Aaron Bacon, North Star and the numerous other wilderness deaths before you make statements like the above.  SageWalk was happy to employ one of Aaron's killers. :???:

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
ABC Brat Camp
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2005, 08:25:00 PM »
Don't waste your breath. You're talking to a damned tv producer. How do they live w/ themselves after producing and airing Nestle commercials? Easy! They simply don't bother to educate themselves about the people who pay their freight. Ignorance is bliss!

The internet interprets censorship as damage and routes around it.
--John Gilmour

"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
ABC Brat Camp
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2005, 01:24:00 PM »
Look what RedCliff Ascent put on their website about the show's message board. What a bunch of manipulative creeps. People can't even think their approach isn't good without them attacking them as "vulgar youths." How about "abusive adults"??

We are saddened by some of what we see posted on the ABC Family Channel website message board. We appreciate those who have voiced their support for the cause of helping teens. We are most concerned by the youth who have taken over much of the message board and use it with vulgar comments, disinformation and lack of respect for others.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
ABC Brat Camp
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2005, 04:12:00 PM »
http://abcfamily.go.com/bratcamp/home.html

Go post some more, vulgar youths!! Happy posting!

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
ABC Brat Camp
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2005, 05:10:00 PM »
On 2005-06-09 13:12:00, Anonymous wrote:

"http://abcfamily.go.com/bratcamp/home.html

Go post some more, vulgar youths!! Happy posting!"

Unfortunately, the board is censored, not as badly as the original Channel 4 one but it definitely is censored.  One person (who I suspect is spirithelps) has had all of her posts deleted.

Actually, the most disheartening thing about the majority of the posts is that it is the teenagers who seem to be least concerned about these places.  They seem to be more interested in which of the participants is the most good looking.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
ABC Brat Camp
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2005, 05:04:00 PM »
I worked on the American series, Brat Camp, and I have to say I am very ashamed to have done so.

The families and kids and Sagewalk were misled, to varying degrees, by the network and the producers.

I hope the public can see through the transparent hype that this show is in any way altruistic.  I am permanently out of the 'reality tv' 'business' now.

I would leave me name, but fear being sued by people with more money and less morals than myself.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
ABC Brat Camp
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2005, 05:33:00 PM »
"I worked on the American series, Brat Camp, and I have to say I am very ashamed to have done so."

I don't know if I believe that you worked on the show... and if you did Im sorry it left such a bad taste in your mouth.

I worked on the show and thought what was going on there was really different.  It wasn't reality show.  It was a reality doc.  There was minimal producer interferance.  The heart of the show was hepling the kids and nothing  too horrible happened to them and who knows maybe they even grew up a little..

BTW what was nic-name for the lovely town where our crew stayed...??

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
ABC Brat Camp
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2005, 05:47:00 PM »
I forget the nickname of the crew camp.

But maybe this will suffice:

Bi-Polar Bears
Phantom Dook
The romance between LBB and MW (passing wind)