Author Topic: Why WWASP is so dangerous!!  (Read 6184 times)

Offline BuzzKill

• View Profile
Why WWASP is so dangerous!!
« Reply #30 on: May 03, 2005, 05:42:00 PM »
Very few parents (that have never bee in a program) want them shut down from what I'm reading. //

There are plenty of program parents who want wwasp stopped.   Plenty of us who believe the principal parties ought to be in prison. Some of us post here, but most don't.

//WWWASPS has never had a death at the hands of staff or even in direct relationship to anything they did. //

And how do you know this? Your guru tell you so?
I believe you are wrong. I believe the kids who have died, might very well have died, as a direct result of what WWASP did to them.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 03, 2005, 08:20:00 PM »
Sorry to sound harsh, but duh on the message board you can say anything you like, and you can say it anonymously. Not so in programs where you are basically told what to think, say, do, etc. So there's that question. And did you know the NIMH after analyzing the research announced that these types of programs were NOT EFFECTIVE. They found family therapy to be more effective than tough residential groups like this.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 03, 2005, 11:17:00 PM »
On 2005-05-03 14:22:00, Dolphin wrote:

"Break them down and build them up again?  Okay, so tell me what the public and private schools are doing when they break down the kids that are "different", like AD/HD?  They don't even attempt to build them up again.  

Please do correct me if I'm wrong here.  The people that want programs shut down are actually the kids that have been there.  Or people that don't want programs to exist because they might get sent to one.  Very few parents (that have never bee in a program) want them shut down from what I'm reading.

So, here we are, reading forums that in essence are here to brainwash people into thinking the worst.  It's based on fear and isn't that what you say Teen Help does?  Difference is that the parents already know they need serious intervention.  

How many kids are dying or have no ambition because their parents are afraid to get program help?  A whole lot less than could ever die at the hands of any program.  Just a reminder.  WWWASPS has never had a death at the hands of staff or even in direct relationship to anything they did.  

Put that in your pipe and smoke it.   :razz:  "

I don't buy it.

There are good public and private schools for special needs kids like kids with ADHD.  There are ways to learn to advocate for your child to get your kid's educational needs met.

If you have a really lousy school system, and you don't want to take them to due process hearings or can't prove they're foot dragging, there's homeschooling.

How many kids are dying that are not in the programs?  Well, given that there are 296 *million* people in the US, at any given time there are a lot of teens dying from everything from car wrecks that are someone else's fault to accidental drownings to suicide to cancer.

What a weasel wording to say kids haven't died *directly* because of anything the programs have done.

Without *effective* treatment, bipolars have a 20% fatality rate from the disease.  *With* effective treatment, that rate drops to 11%.  NIMH says that the programs, which put mentally ill kids alongside juvenile delinquents, do the mentally ill kids more harm than good---that the programs are *NOT* effective treatment.

Well, that would work out to for every ten bipolar kids the program takes in who come out scared of treatment and very reluctant to go to psychiatrists for ongoing treatment, statistically one of those ten will die needlessly.

We *know* from program survivors on here that their program experiences make them *very* reluctant to trust psychiatrists, or to go in for any kind of psychiatric treatment.

A facility that is *ineffective or harmful* at treating mentally ill children, as NIMH says many of them are, that nonetheless takes in those children anyway---a facility that releases those children back into the world so skeptical of mental health care that they avoid it like the plague---that's not a prescription for "saving" your mentally ill teen.

That's a prescription for doubling his/her risk of dying over what it would have been if you simply continued with conventional treatment OR put your non-medication-compliant child in a mental health facility that operates on a medical model rather than a behavioral model.

You can say your favorite program, whatever it is this week, doesn't *directly* kill kids all you want.

The fact remains that NIMH says programs that put mentally ill children alongside juvenile delinquents do more harm than good.

And when those mental illnesses have fatality rates that are reduced by *effective* treatment, doing those children more harm than good, in statistical quantities of children, equates to more (needlessly) dead kids.

Sure, okay, so your program staff (whichever program(s) you're cheerleading for) don't *directly* kill kids.  Fine.  I'll accept that for the sake of argument, that they don't directly kill kids.

But dead is dead, "direct" or not.

Timoclea

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 04, 2005, 12:41:00 AM »
Historically, cults have thrived during times of societal vulnerability. When people are at a loss to make sense of the rapid changes around them, and are forced to rethink much of what they once held as true, they are fertile ground for cult membership.

Thanks for the great read, this quote stood out in my mind. You notice a lot of the program parents are always saying how much 'worse' things are 'these days.' How they didn't do the things teens do today when they were teens.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 04, 2005, 12:50:00 AM »
On 2005-05-03 14:22:00, Dolphin wrote:

"Just a reminder.  WWWASPS has never had a death at the hands of staff or even in direct relationship to anything they did."

So what is your point? If a program is able to keep it's staff from murdering a student, it should be allowed to operate unquestioned? As long as no murders take place, everything is fine? That is ridiculous.

No one has ever complained on the boards about their kid being murdered, have they? Why the reminder.. ?

WWASP has been accused of keeping kids in dog cages for weeks, kneeling in dirty cement buildings for months, pepper spraying a kid for months everyday, beatings, sexual abuse, and this list continues on, not to mention the suicides. Yes there have been a couple at the facilities.

What type of professional training do the staff have at WWASP facilities? Answer: None.

Is there a doctor present? Nope.

Licensed therapist? Only for the select few who's parents pay extra. One hour a week.

It's almost like we need a generic response for you WWASP apologists. We all know the horrible atrocities these facilities create and enable sadistic staff to perpetrate on youth. You can try to flood the boards with your BS, but it won't hide the truth.

The only arguments you can make are: " I was so fucked up before I went in.. man, I would be dead or in jail if my parents didn't send me!" "Only people who didn't graduate complain about the program.. they're jelous they didn't graduate, they are disgruntled students!" " We aren't the liars, thieves and brainwashers, you guys are!"

Well, these are pretty damn thin arguments, and I for one know how deep the bullshit is in your respsones. I hope parents who are considering sending their kid do as well.

Offline Perrigaud

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 04, 2005, 03:10:00 AM »
Wrong. CCM has licensed therapists. One for each group. Check what you say before you say it and look foolish for being misinformed. However yes, Casa and TB didn't have that. I'm not sure about the others.

$$$? Dang I'm really wealthy than aren't I. Wow. Crazy. No I'm not getting money for any of this. As I've stated before I just want to express my experience. Plus I'm also here to gain insight on what else goes on. You see, in order for me to learn more about the world around me I am to listen to all different facets. I have learned a lot since I have joined. I will not lie to you all. I will continue to stick by what I have said. Years down the line I will still feel the same way I do as I do right now about my experience.

Next you'll all be saying that I am one of the WWASP workers undercover. That and all your false accusations are amusing. However, I can understand why you all come up with those conclusions.

Yes I know what Lifespring is. No I wasn't in a cult. No you don't need to talk down to me either. That's quite condescending of you. Why, you are just being like the so-called cult I have joined. Breaking me to build me back up with your insults. Hmm[ This Message was edited by: Perrigaud on 2005-05-04 00:12 ]

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 04, 2005, 03:44:00 AM »
On 2005-05-04 00:10:00, Perrigaud wrote:

"As I've stated before I just want to express my experience. Plus I'm also here to gain insight on what else goes on."

Then why do you troll the boards day in, day out trying to discount other kid's experiences  :question:

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 04, 2005, 04:29:00 AM »
Wrong. CCM has licensed therapists. One for each group. Check what you say before you say it and look foolish for being misinformed.

I find that hard to believe. WWASP is not known for its high professional standards. They are, however, known for their lies.

$$$? Dang I'm really wealthy than aren't I. Wow. Crazy. No I'm not getting money for any of this. As I've stated before I just want to express my experience. Plus I'm also here to gain insight on what else goes on.

So why do you try so hard to discount the experiences of others? You keep saying "I'm just stating my experience", but you hide behind that saying so you could invalidate and discount anything that counters your experience.

You see, in order for me to learn more about the world around me I am to listen to all different facets. I have learned a lot since I have joined.

I'm glad to hear that.

[/quote] I will not lie to you all. I will continue to stick by what I have said. Years down the line I will still feel the same way I do as I do right now about my experience. [/quote]

Don't be so sure about that. You seem to see the discussions here as some sort of war-- someone tells about abusive incidents which you say you never experienced, and the regular responseo ut of you is always, "Oh, yeah? Well, hon, there's no reason to believe you because *I* never saw that!". You phrase it differently, of course, but the message is the same.

Yes I know what Lifespring is.

That's good. Do you know that your beloved seminars are in fact Lifespring seminars?

No I wasn't in a cult.

Yes, you were. Still are. WWASP is a cult.

No you don't need to talk down to me either. That's quite condescending of you.

You talk down to anyone who disagrees with you. Do not be surprised if you are treated in the same manner. This is not the program. You can't treat people like shit and get away with it because they're afraid of talking back.

Why, you are just being like the so-called cult I have joined. Breaking me to build me back up with your insults.

Again, this is a discussion, not a war. No one is trying to "break you down". Why are you taking it all so personally? Do you really think words on a message board can destroy you and break you down in the same way words spoken in group sessions in the program can reduce a child to tears?

Offline Perrigaud

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 04, 2005, 08:39:00 AM »
"You talk down to anyone who disagrees with you. Do not be surprised if you are treated in the same manner. This is not the program. You can't treat people like shit and get away with it because they're afraid of talking back."

Um, I'm not treating anyone like shit. If they feel that way I'd hate to see what would happen if they were really put into a situation where someone truly is treating them like shit.

"I find that hard to believe. WWASP is not known for its high professional standards. They are, however, known for their lies."

Acutally yes CCM has LLC therapists. I'll get the info to back up what I say. The other facilities don't have therapists.

"So why do you try so hard to discount the experiences of others? You keep saying "I'm just stating my experience", but you hide behind that saying so you could invalidate and discount anything that counters your experience"

Or could it be that I say that that is my experience so as to not discredit others. I am aware that abuse has happened. I just never saw it. If I didn't say that it was my experience you would give me some bullshit about how just because I went through the program doesn't mean others had a different experience than me and that I should speak for myself and not others. Come on now. You people just twist shit around so much. If I thought others were lying I would just come out and say it. "That person's experience was full of lies." Is what I would say.

And again I'm not trolling. Believe what you want to.

"That's good. Do you know that your beloved seminars are in fact Lifespring seminars?"

Precious. Ah yes, because I DON'T remember ever saying anything about the seminars being so dear and essential. Cute though.

"You talk down to anyone who disagrees with you. Do not be surprised if you are treated in the same manner. This is not the program. You can't treat people like shit and get away with it because they're afraid of talking back."

It's not the program? Hmm I didn't know that. Hey thanks for telling me....Please. I don't mind if someone comes up with an opposing view. As long as they can back it up I'm ok with that. Oh and I am aware this is not the program. Hey but thanks for pointing that out to me. [ This Message was edited by: Perrigaud on 2005-05-04 05:49 ]

Offline bandit1978

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 04, 2005, 08:45:00 AM »
How much time did you spend with this "licensed therapist"?  

What about the direct caregivers?  Are they licensed?
egan Flynn
RN
Survivor- Provo Canyon School

Offline Perrigaud

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 04, 2005, 08:53:00 AM »
The licensed therapist I spent 6 days out of 7.

Caregivers...well that's where Amanda and I aggree that they need reformation (they is the program). The staff weren't certified. We think that because of this abuse would rear it's ugly head. Staff weren't properly trained in restraining kids or how to deal with different situations.

Offline bandit1978

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 04, 2005, 09:29:00 AM »
Hmmm..."perception"..."guess everyones perception is different"...well I guess my "perception" is that no program should be implemented by unlicensed, untrained people, EVER!  Any nurse or doctor (worth their license) would agree.

You see, nurses and doctors and other licensed people are held ACCOUNTABLE for our actions at work.  If we fuck up, we would be investigated, and could have our license taken away, and could not practice anymore.

These unlicensed workers are not monitored and are not held accountable for any of their unprofessional and non-theraputic behaviour (mostly, I guess because they don't know any better).

I don't mean to sound like some snob, or that I think I'm so smart or great cause I went to college for a few years.  I don't.  But I can see just how dangerous it is to have these idiots working with adolescents in these sorts of programs.
egan Flynn
RN
Survivor- Provo Canyon School

Offline Nihilanthic

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 05, 2005, 12:22:00 AM »
IMO, a program should be nothing more than a damn retreat, a business that keeps them safe and removed from their problems - but doesnt FORCE isolation from the rest of the world! They also shouldnt do Behavior Modification on kids, and either need to cut out the seminars ENTIRELY, or somehow make them into something other than clumbsy therapy at best, extremely stressful and humiliating at worst.

Blaming it on perception to make it the kids or parents fault for the seminar being harmful to them isnt valid! It shouldnt be forced and required!! Something is wrong with the SEMINAR if it causes this in a percentage of people - and it seems to be rather high from the apparently high rate of emotional reactions out of it. I said apparent, not proven, intentionally, btw.

Anyway... get rid of this crap, which seems to be what makes a program a program, and you are left with a retreat with therapy, NOT a prison! Punishment and austere circumstances, level systems and BM, and seminars, are unnecessary, and harmful.

For something that has spread with all the forethought of kudzu, the Internet isn't half bad."
-- Newsweek, 2/27/95

DannyB on the internet:I CALLED A LAWYER TODAY TO SEE IF I COULD SUE YOUR ASSES FOR DOING THIS BUT THAT WAS NOT POSSIBLE.

CCMGirl on program restraints: "DON\'T TAZ ME BRO!!!!!"

TheWho on program survivors: "From where I sit I see all the anit-program[sic] people doing all the complaining and crying."

Offline Perrigaud

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 05, 2005, 03:17:00 AM »
I aggree Niles. The fact that there are kids that are harmed by the seminars is not good. They may need to be taken away completely.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 05, 2005, 11:59:00 AM »
The seminars are a joke. They are not treatment or therapy.. not sure how to describe them, but I doubt  they are benificial to anyone. Sure, it makes people feel better to admit their bagage in front of other people with similar problems, but that euphoria does not last long.

I went through about half a dozen treatment facilities before I ended up at a WWASP camp.. school.. jail whatever you want to call it. WWASP is totally different than the others, it's like they put hicks from the local town put in charge of a treatment facility. Honestly, that is what it feels like. It feels like people who have no idea what they are doing are in charge of your entire life. It's physically and emotionally stressful the entire time you are there. The only good thing one can take from a WWASP program is having the confidence to survive fucked up situations. It makes you a stronger person (if you didnt break) in the end, but this argument can be made with any negative experience. There is no reason to pay for one!

WWASP is such a bad program I believe it should just be scrapped. There is no reason to improve it, it needs to be shut down. Their entire philosophy is based around those seminars. The rest of your stay is based around those seminars. Without the seminars, they would just have prison camps.

Forcing teenagers to change is the most ridiculous thing I've experience. They scarte the shit out of  the kids, and put them under contract to obey. If they don't comply they go back to private prison. It's not complicated.

WWASP could easily change the structure of the program to be less emotionally damaging. It's the whole goddamn structure of the program. Too many details to list, bu this is not therapy. There are much better models for treatment out there. I've been through MANY facilities, WWASP does not even compare. They are a joke. A scam, money-making joke.