Author Topic: Sign petition to close an abusive program  (Read 2975 times)

Offline cherish wisdom

• View Profile
Sign petition to close an abusive program
« on: April 28, 2005, 01:56:00 AM »
About 500 former students-patients, their family members and human rights activists have signed a petition to close Provo Canyon School. The petition asks the authorities to shut down this facility that has a "history of torturing America's youth." Many have made comments about there abuse which includes, forced drugging, denial of necessary medical care, punishment with isolation and seclusion, sleep deprivation and other physical, emotional and psychological abuses. If you'd like to view the petition it can be found at:
http://www.beyondbusiness.net/closepcs.htm
The signatures can be viewed at:
http://www.heal-online.org/sign.htm
This is the MOTHER OF ALL ABUSIVE PROGRAMS. If you think WWASPS is bad - this is where the founder of WWASPS - Robert Lichfield - learned the ropes of abusive behavior modification. He dropped out of college to be the Residential Director of Provo Canyon School. Of course he is now a mega-millionair as a result of his savy in the teen-industry. I call it the teen-torture-mindcult industry.

Please Sign if you have not done so    

The trouble with practical jokes is that very often they get elected.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0380768089/circlofmiamithem' target='_new'>Will Rogers, American humorist, political commentator and cowboy philosopher

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
If you lack wisdom ask of God and it shall be given to you.\"

Offline wiseup

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2005, 09:33:00 PM »
lon woodbury   so called educational consultant and self proclaimed charlatan and destructive cult leader michael allgood  received kickbacks for every victim they could coerce and deceive into being railroaded to this place.  allgood is now trying to sell his phony school posing as cult called cascade school in whitmore, ca.  investigate michael allgood  and get a restraining order to stop him because he is lying and trying to manipulate as usual.  he only cares about those he can manipulate.  he is trying to cover up so he will not be arrested and he will try to twist things around to make himself look like

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2005, 10:40:00 PM »
Yeah I've heard some pretty nasty stories about Provo.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2005, 12:09:00 AM »
17 years after being released from Provo Canyon School, I still occasionally wake up with night sweats and panic attacks that I began suffering after my experiences at the school.  From 9 DAYS WITH 2 SHOWERS IN ISOLATION FOR A FAULTY URINE SAMPLE (My parents were told that I admitted to purchasing pot on a ski lift while on a visit, even though I was CROSS-COUNTRY SKIING with my father in full view!) to Dr. Gwilliam verbally attacking me when my brother and father arrived for a visit to the point my brother said "I am not going to sit hear and listen to you bash my sister."  I had no warning that "Dr." Gwilliam would turn on me.  

Both my brother and father were concerned that I was on so many medications that my hands shook and my speech was slurred.  Dr. Gwilliam indicated that I needed to be highly medicated to keep me from being violent - even though I had no history at the school of violence, only depression which I was punished for (not adjusting well on the reports – so no privileges).  When I had complained to the medical doctor, he only upped my dosage.  I was forced to take extremely large doses of medication but was punished for wanting to know what I was taking and wanting off.  Considering the issues the FDA is now reporting in such medications as Xanax and other MOI’s and SSR’s, I consider it gross negligence that my concerns were brushed aside as being trivial.

After working steadily for the hotel and school cleaning, to receive a check for only $70 after one year was an outrage. I was told that money had been taken out for outings and personal items, however my mother was paying bills for those same things.  She was also being charged quite a bit of money for items that she herself had bought me.  No one goes through 2 boxes of tampons a month if there is not a serious medical problem.  

And in the end was anything accomplished other than my mother being bilked out of her money?  No - because they never addressed any of the issues that had resulted in the total breakdown of my relationship with my parents.  No family counseling.  I carried the anger with me for another 12 years after leaving before making any changes on my own.  I even called to have my medical and psychological records sent to another counselor.  After 1 year, all Dr. Gwilliam had wrote fit onto less than 7 sheets.  Nice intensive counseling.  And after Dr. Gwilliam’s turning on me I did not trust him to tell him anything – just continued to keep it buried as I had before everything came crashing down.   No therapeutic, rape trauma, eating disorder or drug abuse counseling provided.  No program to help me develop positive and healthy ways to deal with problems.  Just intimidated into proper behavior and told that I was the problem over and over and over.  Let it be known that after my experience at Provo Canyon School, not only did I immediately revert to my prior self-destructive behavior with a vengeance, but I also began to suffer severe and debilitating panic / anxiety attacks not experienced prior to my admission.

Oh yes - and their "education" was so great that many of the classes taken at PCS had to be retaken at my next high school even though I had passed the classes.  I had to retake Algebra II with Trig (same book) because PCS lumped it under "Algebra".

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2005, 05:40:00 PM »
The use physical punishment, forced confinement, and other punishment is inappropriate unacceptable at this school. Testing attitude and future intentions by the use of a lie detector is offensive and inhumane.As a human rights advocate and a parent, I demand that this institution be shut down immediately. The individuals who have run this institution and supported these practices should be punished and barred from ever having a role that can impact young people again.We must send a message that prisons treating adolescents inhumanely will not be tolerated or condoned.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2005, 01:12:00 AM »
My friend went through Provo. He said they would make you sit on a stool for 96 straight hours and if you fell asleep they would spray you with ice water or near boiling water.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2005, 01:12:00 AM »
My friend went through Provo. He said they would make you sit on a stool for 96 straight hours and if you fell asleep they would spray you with ice water or near boiling water.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2005, 11:50:00 PM »
At the age of 13 I was sent to Provo Canyon School in 1999.  It's 2005 and I am still haunted by that place.  I had just turned 13 years old.  I felt as though i was being held prisoner.  What had I done to deserve this?  Everything I did there was considered to be "wrong".  Nothing was ever good enough.  The floor was never clean enough.  The sheets were never tight enough.  The toilet was never shiny enough.  There was still dust on the window sill after having cleaned it 3+ times.  I remember one time a peer (who has also signed this petition) and I cleaned the isolation rooms, both on our knees scrubbing the hard concrete floor.  I was not allowed to talk to my parents and the 10 minute phone calls that I did have every other week were monitored.  The staff and therapists made me carry around a coin and with every statement that I said I was made to flip the coin; the side of the coin determined whether I was lying or not.  I had to do this for at least a week.  What they had done is a very high level form of cult abuse.  Their whole program is inhumane.  I'm sorry, but being stripped down of your clothes, tranquilized, and strapped to a bed then told by one of the staff members that you are "ruining her night because she was supposed to meet up with her friends to go somewhere" is not what I think of as humane.  We were punished for everything.  I kept quiet for a very long time.  There is so much more shit that went on that i struggle to talk about today.  I was looking through this petition and found at least 4 names of girls that were at Provo Canyon School with me.  That, in itself is helping me to realize that everything that I remember is true and did happen and that Provo Canyon School should be shut down.  I am in shock that it is still running today.  I do not understand how the United States of America can overlook such a place and just let it stand as though it is doing no harm.  Provo Canyon School should be done away with.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2005, 01:33:00 AM »
My daughter was tortured while a patient at Provo Canyon School. The abuse she experienced was horrific. Provo Canyon School must be investigated. PCS is a very dangerous place for children and destructive to families. It is extremely punitive and uses abusive behavior and emotional modification.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2005, 11:28:00 PM »
I mean if it was all so bad why did you put her there?  Did you send her without looking into the school first?

Offline cherish wisdom

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2005, 01:05:00 AM »
My own child was abused at Provo Canyon School for about one month. She tried to escape and it was then that we learned the magnitude of the abuse she both witnessed and experienced.  She was drugged with a horse dose of Haldol, isolated excessivly, forced to sit and stare at a wall instead of going to school. The list goes on an on. Worse - she was denied emergency medical care when she had a severe reaction to the doping with Haldol.  If you have any experiences - please post them. I encourage anyone who was abused at PCS in the last few years to notify the authorities in Utah.  [ This Message was edited by: cherish wisdom on 2005-05-20 22:08 ]
If you lack wisdom ask of God and it shall be given to you.\"

Offline mudbone357

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2005, 11:58:00 PM »
I was at Aspen in '94 and RMA from 94-96, and we thanked our lucky stars every night that we weren't at Provo.  The staff at RMA  sometimes used stories of their abuses as not-so-subtle intimidation every so often.
I would be astonished that it is still in business if I didn't read the news every day, and not just from a ticker at the bottom of a t.v. screen.  This whole goddamn place is plague riddled.
ever Again

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2005, 12:25:00 PM »
I truly believe they think they are helping those who enter PCS, but they really are making things much worse off for the "patients."

I lost two years of my life at Provo Canyon School.

To quote a staff that was working while I was there during my stay "I wonder if we are helping you guys, I mean you guys have become so dependent pretty soon you will have to be asking if its okay to be wiping your own butts"

I left PCS with a dependence on people more than I ever had before. I didn't do anything with out asking if its okay, and it damaged me and lowered my self-confidence with myself. Believing that I had to have someone showing me and guiding me through every thing in order for me to be able to do a job, etc.

They also knew nothing about the issues regarding why I was there in the first place. I was at the school for family issues...and self harm. The school could not help me in my family situations b/c my parents lived states away, so instead of making my family situation better, it made it worse. After two years of being locked up, i went home to my family, feeling like a over-staying guest. As for my self-harm issues, they taught me better ways to hide my self injury, and punished me for my only way I knew how to cope. Instead of taking the time to teach me better coping skills, etc.

The list goes on and on about how this place impacted me in the worst way possible. I know for a fact that many of the girls that I keep in contact with that were there at the same time as me...feel the same way.

This place really should be shut down.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2005, 01:07:00 PM »
Provo Canyon School should be closed. Reports of horrific patient abuse have been disclosed for the past thirty years. The same stories of prolonged isolation, forced drugging, takedowns, and other abusive acts have been reported by hundreds of students over the course of the last thirty years.  Something must be done to permanently put an end to all of this.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2005, 01:21:00 PM »
NOT A SCHOOL. Provo Canyon School is not a school. My child was not only restricted of his civil rights but fell behind one whole school year in Academics because he was not taught on his school level.  My son was in fact drugged and locked in most of the time watching videotapes or climbing rocks all day.  Most of the things he did learn was how to curse and how to survive the system.