Author Topic: Forced Rehab won't work. -- Grand Prairie youth  (Read 1721 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Forced Rehab won't work. -- Grand Prairie youth
« on: April 09, 2005, 06:24:00 AM »
Source: Daily Herald-Tribune, The (CN AB)
Copyright: 2005 The Daily Herald-Tribune
Details: http://www.mapinc.org/media/804
Author: Fiona Isaacson
Bookmark: http://www.mapinc.org/rehab.htm (Treatment)

BREAKING ADDICTION MUST COME FROM WITHIN

Recovering Addict Says Forced Rehab Won't Work

A local recovering drug addict says he wasn't ready to break free until he made the decision himself to get help.

"You can only help people that are willing to help themselves.  That's the only way it can work.  Because if you want it bad enough it will work," said John Senenko.

Senenko, 29, first began using drugs at age seven.

It started with some marijuana, supplied by some older cousins, but progressed to cocaine, heroine, crystal meth - basically anything that he could get his hands on to get high.  He used to take heroine to calm down so he could sleep.

He's been clean for "some time" ever since he decided to seek help.  Although things aren't perfect, he says he can at least now deal with his problems and get on with his life.

"It was an every day thing for about 20 years," he said.  "That's all you knew.  The street life and getting all messed up, that's the thing, you didn't really know anything else."

"If I wouldn't have stopped when I did I'd be in a pine box for sure.  Because that's where I was going," said Senenko.

As an addict you don't deal with life "on life's terms because you're too scared.  It's not really the drugs or the alcohol.  You're just using that to fill the void of what's inside," he said.

An Albertan MLA is hoping to help addicts like Senenko, by catching them early.  Conservative Red Deer MLA Mary Anne Jablonski introduced a private member's bill that would allow parents to put their drug-addicted kids in drug rehabilitation centres for up to one year.

Bill 202 passed its second reading on March 22, but some reports have indicated that it might fail as Justice Minister Ron Stevens suggested the issue was too complicated to be dealt with in a private member's bill.

Senenko says enforced treatment wouldn't have worked in his teenage years because he didn't have it within himself to get help.

"If you're going to force it on people it may not work because they're not doing it for themselves.  They're doing it for somebody else."

His parents would have probably tried to make him go, he said.

Senenko did, however, think forced drug treatment might be good for youth who were involved in crime.

"They might find something different," he said.

Now in recovery, Senenko turned to the Grande Prairie Friendship Centre and with them and a 12-step fellowship program he's been clean ever since.

"I had to help myself.  I had to do it myself, they just helped me along the way," he said.

Senenko said he had moments over the years where he did try to get help, but had difficulty finding the resources or people willing to listen.  "Some people would look down on you like you're piece of dirt," he said.

But, he added, people are becoming more aware.

Before getting help, Senenko describes his state as being dead inside.

"I did look like I was dead and just didn't notice it," he said.  "Doing drugs is just a slow way of committing suicide because eventually you'll die.  You're just slowly killing yourself."

He was 89 pounds when he was on drug but now is a healthy 185 pounds.  It takes a lifetime to recover but Senenko seems determined to never look back.

"I'll always be an addict for the rest of my life but I'm a recovering addict so that's different," he said.

It was a struggle when he took the first step, he cried almost every day, but he wanted to do it.

Now he's involved in a youth entrepreneurship program, has taken up mirror etching and is working with youth, because he can relate to what they are going through.

"If I can help even one, it's an accomplishment," he said.

"Now that I've cleaned up I have a fuller and meaningful life ahead of me and it's just beginning.  And everybody can do it," he said.

"I'm happy to be alive.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anne Bonney

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2007, 05:28:28 PM »
Quote from: ""Guest""

A local recovering drug addict says he wasn't ready to break free until he made the decision himself to get help.

"You can only help people that are willing to help themselves.  That's the only way it can work.  Because if you want it bad enough it will work," said John Senenko.

It started with some marijuana, supplied by some older cousins, but progressed to cocaine, heroine, crystal meth - basically anything that he could get his hands on to get high.  He used to take heroine to calm down so he could sleep.

He's been clean for "some time" ever since he decided to seek help.  Although things aren't perfect, he says he can at least now deal with his problems and get on with his life.

"It was an every day thing for about 20 years," he said.  "That's all you knew.  The street life and getting all messed up, that's the thing, you didn't really know anything else."

"If I wouldn't have stopped when I did I'd be in a pine box for sure.  Because that's where I was going," said Senenko.

As an addict you don't deal with life "on life's terms because you're too scared.  It's not really the drugs or the alcohol.  You're just using that to fill the void of what's inside," he said.

An Albertan MLA is hoping to help addicts like Senenko, by catching them early.  Conservative Red Deer MLA Mary Anne Jablonski introduced a private member's bill that would allow parents to put their drug-addicted kids in drug rehabilitation centres for up to one year.

Bill 202 passed its second reading on March 22, but some reports have indicated that it might fail as Justice Minister Ron Stevens suggested the issue was too complicated to be dealt with in a private member's bill.

Senenko says enforced treatment wouldn't have worked in his teenage years because he didn't have it within himself to get help.

"If you're going to force it on people it may not work because they're not doing it for themselves.  They're doing it for somebody else."

Senenko did, however, think forced drug treatment might be good for youth who were involved in crime.

Now in recovery, Senenko turned to the Grande Prairie Friendship Centre and with them and a 12-step fellowship program he's been clean ever since.

"I had to help myself.  I had to do it myself, they just helped me along the way," he said.

Senenko said he had moments over the years where he did try to get help, but had difficulty finding the resources or people willing to listen.  "Some people would look down on you like you're piece of dirt," he said.

"I did look like I was dead and just didn't notice it," he said.  "Doing drugs is just a slow way of committing suicide because eventually you'll die.  You're just slowly killing yourself."

He was 89 pounds when he was on drug but now is a healthy 185 pounds.  It takes a lifetime to recover but Senenko seems determined to never look back.

"I'll always be an addict for the rest of my life but I'm a recovering addict so that's different," he said.

It was a struggle when he took the first step, he cried almost every day, but he wanted to do it.

Now he's involved in a youth entrepreneurship program, has taken up mirror etching and is working with youth, because he can relate to what they are going through.

"Now that I've cleaned up I have a fuller and meaningful life ahead of me and it's just beginning.  And everybody can do it," he said.

"I'm happy to be alive.

Forced or coerced therapy is not only illogical, its immoral.
traight, St. Pete, early 80s
AA is a cult http://www.orange-papers.org/orange-cult.html

The more boring a child is, the more the parents, when showing off the child, receive adulation for being good parents-- because they have a tame child-creature in their house.  ~~  Frank Zappa

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2007, 08:35:20 PM »
Quote from: ""Anne Bonney""
Quote from: ""Guest""

"I'm happy to be alive.

Forced or coerced therapy is not only illogical, its immoral.

Yet no matter how illogical or immoral something may be, if it works, then somebody MUST be doing something right.

Offline hanzomon4

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2007, 09:55:39 PM »
Who says it works? Every bit of reliable data says that not only doesn't it work but it causes serious harm, so......
i]Do something real, however, small. And don\'t-- don\'t diss the political things, but understand their limitations - Grace Lee Boggs[/i]
I do see the present and the future of our children as very dark. But I trust the people\'s capacity for reflection, rage, and rebellion - Oscar Olivera

Howto]

Offline Hamiltonf

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2007, 12:02:50 AM »
Quote from: ""hanzomon4""
Who says it works? Every bit of reliable data says that not only doesn't it work but it causes serious harm, so......

I agree with Hanzomon.  Being familiar with Grande Prairie, I can assure you that in my personal experience
a)  Attempts to force treatment on certain individuals in Grande Prairie has ripped families apart when better alternatives were available, and
b) Jablonski's law has resulted in the alienation of children from their parents where social workers and parents routinely misrepresent minor and relatively inconsequential use of marijuana as a MAJOR DRUG PROBLEM necessitating confinement way beyond what is necessary.

We have two pieces of legislation in Alberta in the Child Welfare area that are forcing treatment where treatment may not be necessary:
PCHAD -- The protection of Children Abusing drugs Act.  -- In this case, parents can have their children confined fro up to 72 hrs for assessment.  This is being used as a lever to get kids into "Temporary Guardianship"  for many more months where treatment is mandated -- and the kids may only have been smoking pot.

DECA the Drug Endangered Children Act  -- this legislation is ostensibly aimed at circumstances where children's health may be at risk as a result of meth labs and grow ops.  It arises as a result of the targeting of Alberta Law Enforcement by the DRUG ENFORCEMENT AGENCY  and a series of workshops put on by the DEA at Jasper which resulted in Corporal Sanderson of the RCMP spearheading a campaign to "make our children safe".  Not only that, but a "hanging judge" in the Child Welfare area from Santiago, CA was invited to address  an assembly of law enforcement officials and judges about his "tough love " approaches to Child Welfare issues.  His solution to cases of drug usage by parents was to have their children removed and or send them to jail if they "relapsed"  I attended his presentation.  It seems this approach may not have been adopted entirely by our drug court , but certain members of the child welfare judiciary seem to favour this approach as far as they are able.  
The key fault to this legislation is that it is seen as being entirely too draconian in situations where less serious exposure to drugs are an issue.  For example, in a specific case I was dealing with (even not using the legislation) a child was apprehended from a mother where a lodger in the house had been subjected to an illegal search because of an unpaid ticket.  The search had revealed an empty baggy with traces of crystal meth and a crack pipe in the purse of the girlfriend of the lodger, who wasn't even residing there.  Result -- removal of the child.  At no time was there any evidence that the child was endangered or that the mother was actually involved in using the drug.  yet she was forced to go through the humiliating experience of being drug tested to prove her innocence, before the child could be returned to her.  This sort of use of the Child Welfare legislation to fight a "war on drugs" is reprehensible and  in many cases is victimizing people who may or may not be already marginalized by poverty.

As Senator Larry Campbell said on CBC (the Lens) tonight "John Walters (US drug czar)  is an idiot"    It is the DEA and moral entrepreneurs  like Sembler, Newton and Vause  and the DARE program that are fuelling the hysteria that is generating these crusades and making things worse.  

I don't know when our legislators in Canada( and judges in Alberta) are going to get the message -- but American methods have failed abysmally, and in particular should not be emulated in Alberta.

RON STEVENS, PLEASE TAKE NOTE!
[/b]
« Last Edit: October 25, 2007, 10:36:37 AM by Guest »
uote of the Year
The Bush administration has succeeded in making the United States one of the most feared and hated countries in the world. The talent of these guys is unbelievable. They have even succeeded at alienating Canada. I mean, that takes ge

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2007, 11:26:11 AM »
ive been in the building a couple of times with my friend who went through, i didnt see a lot of forced therapy. no one was getting 'beat up' or restrained or anything, in fact, they were playing basketball and eating food. it looked more like a social club with a games room and a huge dining room. i dont eat that well at home!

Offline hanzomon4

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2007, 12:03:05 PM »
Did you see open meetings, blasting raps? Did you see kids asking permission for each square of toilet tissue, each bite of food, each word they spoke, each place they moved from other kids who could deny their requests because they were on zero club? Did you see kids locked in the bed rooms or basements of the homes of oldcomers(other kids) with bars on the windows and no heat in the winter? Did you see kids being raped?

I didn't think so, but that is AARC.

Read this
i]Do something real, however, small. And don\'t-- don\'t diss the political things, but understand their limitations - Grace Lee Boggs[/i]
I do see the present and the future of our children as very dark. But I trust the people\'s capacity for reflection, rage, and rebellion - Oscar Olivera

Howto]