Author Topic: Who knows Dean Vause - lets have some facts here too  (Read 34629 times)

Offline TheFACTS about DEANV

• View Profile
Who knows Dean Vause - lets have some facts here too
« on: October 19, 2002, 08:06:00 PM »
I found this site when doing a search on AARC. There is an incredible amount of false information about Dean Vause in the messages on this list serv. Who are the ones that have posted the absolute crap I have seen. I suggest the person(s) who think they know who Dean Vause is and what his career and academic path have been AT LEAST get their facts straight before they make comments. They might do a LITTLE work by checking out

1) what the UNION Institute really is.

2) search the UMI database of all published PhD and Masters dissertations to get your fats straight about what exactly his grad work was!

3) what exactly did happen for and to Dean VAuse when he went down to New Jersey. You have not a clue what that was about - why he went there, what happened and how AARC evolved in Calgary. Miller Newton has never been on the Vauses' Xmas card list. Maybe his lawyer's for awhile but not his.

These are a few comments right now. I'll be happy to fill you in on the facts for the 3 points above.

BTW, in case someone, again, alleges that Dean would waste his time reading what a couple unhappy clients had to say here - I don't think he is even aware this site exists but if he did .  . . well really I know it not like him to bother or lose sleep over something like this. Some of his staff may have found this site but I can just hear his reaction to them telling him about it - he is very good with the hilarious retorts about people that have it out for him.

I have known him since high school. He is one of the funniest, fun, ethical, genuine and hard-working people you could meet. He has always tried to make up for his *little guy* who was being bullied by soembody or some sort of social oppression. His passion for helping adolescents has driven his career. One reason is because, i think it is part of his nature but another is likely because of the exploitation he experienced at the hands of adults with power over him when he was in his teens. I have always been very honored to have him as one of my good friends, he is a definite asset in any group of friends. If anything, he is the funniest guy I know. No one with his sense of humour could ever take themselves too seriously. So if you think by some warped reason that he thinks he is some kind of god. YOU REALLY DO NOT KNOW WHAT HE IS MADE OF. He is driven by passion for helping kids and their families and if along the way he has not given the right attention to some angry self-centered person, I think they need to just get over it!!!! and find another more positive attitude towards their life.

It is a known fact that when someone sticks their neck out and applies themself to help others there are always people who don't do anything but put down the person that does.

I think I'll come back and fill in some facts here so it is a little balanced since I see there has been a father that wrote in and tried to stick up for AARC!!

Jem

PhD, Health Poliy Research

(PhD from a traditional university!!)

[ This Message was edited by: TheFACTS about DEANV on 2002-10-19 17:22 ]
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline velvet2000

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2002, 09:54:00 PM »
When you post on this board or on any internet forum, we insist that you tell the truth for varius reasons. There are two AARC boards up and running right now, and there was one more before that. The reason why these boards are up and running, and why I have never had to go to court for hosting this board or for any of the posts I've made regarding AARC and Dean Vause, is because the posts have been truthful. If my posts were not truthful regarding Dean he could very easily sue me for "slander".

The very facts that you are accusing us of not having researched, I can't see how you could possibly have researched them yourself. I am familiar with TUI because I have spoken with them on the phone regarding Dean's education and was given a description of his Thesis and how it was graded. My opinions regarding the school as a whole is based on their website and catalog, and I've quoted their own words from those things.

I encourage anyone to search for Dean's psychology lisence, and when you come here to tell us that he has one, then please provide us with a phone number and address for where you've found such information. As a matter of fact, let me go to my address book and double check on who informed me that Dean is not licensed in Alberta and therefore not able to opperate as a psychologist there.

BRB.

Offline velvet2000

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2002, 10:07:00 PM »
I have a letter from a Gail Leicht from the College of Alberta Psychologists confirming that he was not found in their registry and "cannot use the title psychologist". I've had contact with varius people in the College of Alberta Psychologists regarding Dean but unfortunately have not kept all of their names. I have also searched for a lisence under G.P's and Psychiatrists, and I have searched for those in Alberta, Saskatchewan, British Columbia, and New Jersey because those were the places I was aware of him having residence.

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2002, 05:37:00 AM »
Sorry velvet that doesn't cut it (in terms of an argument that you are telling the truth about him - the reason you have not been in court is because the person you are slandering could not be bothered. He is the only one who can initiate that sort of legal action. So have a little thought about that one and like I suggested - go do a Little work to get your facts straight BECAUSE you, very obviously, have not.

And your 2nd paragraph really is an out and out lie. No University whether Union or not, will talk to someone, who just happens to call up, about the specifics of some previous student's work there. It is like you calling up his GP and his/her office giving you the run down on what the diagnosis was on a bronchial cough he had and what antibiotics he was prescribed.

Regarding your last paragraph - see my response to 'Anonymous' under subject heading 'Who knows Dean variation' subheading 'I Do'.

Last point re: "The very facts that you are accusing us of not having researched, I can't see how you could possibly have researched them yourself." Uhhhh, I didn't research anything, I have know the guy since high school and because he is a close friend of mine, he knows what I have done over the years and I certainly know what he has done, experienced and a lot of personal things that friends share! You know - good friends, trust, understanding, acceptance - therefore you got the goods on them and they have the goods on you!!!! Besides, I have done a PhD, I have had similar experiences with people like Miller-Newton, so it is a pretty easy transfer of information between him and I. Plus, I was on the UMI website one night and happened to do a search on his Masters and PhD dissertations out of curiousity - I wanted to see how many pages his PhD was because I knew it was more than the usual number. So, i got a great laugh when I saw it was something like 1100+. That is the Dean I know - incredibly competent and hard working. Most doctoral dissertations are from 200 - 350 pages, but as I said in the post I just referred to  - his committee chair had to get him to stop because she said he had done enough work for 4 doctoral dissertations.

jem

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2002, 05:58:00 AM »
In regard to your second post on this subject re: some letter from Gail somebody:

You know Velvet I don't think you understand even what being registered as a psychologist means and your obsession with that could likely be because you don't understand what doing a PhD is about esp. when it is exactly on the very thing someone is carrying on with in their career.

People can do a PhD in Philosphy on something like the Dialectic of Scrates, how does that relate to Chronic Diarrhea or do a PhDD on something in Political science and work in Health Policy because they have a certain perspective that is different than others that have studied in those areas and it adds another dimension to some work they are doing with health policy researchers. It is usually, but not always in the basic sciences where someone will do a PhD on something like examining the phosolipids in the subcutaneous membrane of frog lips and continue there entire career on that and just that. Even in pyschology, someone can do a PhD or Masters on Anger and Attention Deficit Disorder in children from the ages 6-10. But the rest of their career is being the resident psychologist for a huge Forestry Company. In Dean's case he did a PhD on the area he worked in and continues to work in - substance abuse treatment for adolescents (not even substance abuse treatment for adolescents and adults and pigmies from the pacific island of samoa, rathert JUST treatment for adolescents). Unfortunately, for you ?? I think, your obsession with his registration with some professional association is misguided i.e. your criteria for measuring Dean's competence in his area is, for lack of a better word - irrational.

Offline velvet2000

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2002, 05:05:00 PM »
I'm sorry to argue with you that you do or do not know someone, but what you are doing is saying that I need to do my research even though you refuse to do any, and then argueing that I must have lied about doing my research, even though you refuse to check up on it! Again, I encourage you to go ahead and call TUI and ask who they give their information too. Because I was a patient of Dean's I was allowed that information.

I've always acknowledged that Dean does have a PH.D, and stated what he did in order to gain it. However when I was under Dean's care he claimed to be a psychologist, and he is not allowed to call himself a psychologist. He is allowed to say that he has a Ph.D. under educational psychology. I discredit the work that he put into it because I know people who helped write those many pages, which became the AARC workbooks, and feel that when I am under a doctors care I am in better care when the doctor completed their schoolwork themselves.

It is clearly not an "obsession" about someones educational history when you feel that you've been mistreated by a proffesional. It's no different than seeing a G.P. who turns out to have only recieved their doctorate in homeopathic.

Like we've stated on this board before, if you feel that you know him so well and you are eager to stand up for him, what harm would it possibly do you to make a few five minute phone calls?

Regarding the slander, no time for this  board thing, Dean has come to these boards and posted and viewed the site over three times a day, simple as that. Of course it would be of his interest to sue me if I was slandering him because it would be bad for business, and because if I was slandering him here in print for the whole world to see it would be a quick and easy case.

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2002, 06:39:00 PM »
...how Velvet came about the decision to move the AARC forum over to Fornits to begin with. Remember, Dean? When you or one of your cult members fraudulently claimed copyright on the acronym, "AARC", causing CoolBoard to shut down the forum?

What's the first and most impotent rule, Deany Weenie?
"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2002, 04:55:00 PM »
Good luck girls you are going to go far . . .  to where is the question!!!!

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2002, 07:01:00 PM »
I agree with the above positive characterization of Dean. I was in treatment when he did he did his Phd. In fact I know the accredited psychologist who veted it very well. I watched Dean work on that thesis day and night, run 3 or more raps a day for 7 days a week. I met all of the phds who were on his clinical committee, acclaimed academics like Dr. Lewis Andrews. Dean worked extremely hard to get where he is and continues to do so. But then again character assassinataion by the anonymous is always the burden of the successful. Who am I? I am an AARC graduate, 10 years sober, a father, husband, tax payer, successful business man and active AA member. God Bless.

Offline velvet2000

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2002, 09:32:00 PM »
Then you also know the other kids who spent a lot of time working on those workbooks/thesis. Next time you go to your G.P. or any other doctor ask them how they feel about that way of obtaining a doctorate.

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2002, 01:39:00 PM »
All the way down in the Mid Mon Valley, a chorus of voices chanting "LA LA LA LA LA LA LA!" I wonder if they actually plug their ears while they do that?
"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2002, 08:09:00 AM »
I was in KIDS of Bergen County and was there when Dean came to NJ for his "training" from Newton.  I also know that Dean apparently refused to follow Newton's rules, yet a few years after the program (AARC) opened up, I went to an open meeting, anonymously!  Surprise, the open meeting format, the 'love you's', the parent mic 'lectures' were all the same as KIDS.  
A close friend of mine that went on staff at AARC (a former KIDS client)went to Dean for help after he'd relapsed.  Dean turned him away saying that this guy had let him down too many times.  Funny how he was always there when Dean needed him???  Shortly after that he killed himself.  Go figure, where was the unconditional love then?  Dean had the guts to stand up at his funeral and talk about how great this guy was.  To stab someone in the back and then speak on their behalf at their funeral is cruel and sickening.  KIDS was/is all about control and AARC is the same way.  AARC may be more passive about their control tactics, but regardless it is still just as damaging.  Just ask Dean about Brian Neil (RIP).  Maybe his intentions were "good" in the beginning, but it is obvious that he is becoming more and more like Newton everyday.  Facts are I don't know Dean's side of the story, but when person after person comes out of AARC with similar stories as to what happened at KIDS it can only make you wonder what happens behind those locked doors.  
On a positive note, I hear that AADAC (a reputable drug addiction centre) is trying to get on the board of AARC, so that they can insist on regulating the treatment provided to teens.  AADAC does do counselling for people that were in AARC and KIDS, they help to de-program people and help with the post-traumatic stress issues that people in these programs experience after leaving these treatment centres.  Does it really matter what education someone has?  If they abuse it, the damage is done!
Bye

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2002, 08:51:00 AM »
Ps) Wanted to say one more thing... After reading some of the other posts on the BBS.  I know that BN broke into AARC and was caught.  We were living together at the time and when he didn't come home for a few days I figured he was in jail.  However, I want to make it clear that it seemed to me that BN did these things to get back at Dean.  He never did anything to him until Dean betrayed him.  I know that doesn't justify his behaviours, but it does give some insight to where BN's head was at during this time.  
Bye

Offline velvet2000

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2002, 10:18:00 PM »
Thanks for posting here. It's interesting the things that you said about AADAC. I'm also glad that you posted about Brian (as I am glad that anyone who was close with him when he passed over has posted here). What you said about the scenario is exactly what I thought happened. I guess the most upsetting part is that you probably know more than one person who has gone through these programs who have taken their own lives, and all of us are probably going to know plenty more.

Thought it's years later and I don't believe I've ever met you - Sorry for your loss.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2002, 01:48:00 PM »
I think you need to check your facts. Dean bent over backwards for Brian. Brian worked for him in a position of authority and trust for over 2 years. Dean promoted him and gave him raises. He recommended Brian for the job in Nanaimo, which Brian wanted. I visited Brian out there and he was holding on, but not going to meetings. Dean put his reputation with the BC government on the line to get Brian that job. How Brian handled it was his issue. When Brian was let go, he came back to Calgary, and I know Dean tried to help him out, he just could not give him a job. Brian got an AA and AARC acquaintance to loan him the money to move his stuff and he never paid him back. He started using at some point, but still many people involved with AARC tried to reach out to him, including former KIDS clients. When he broke in, this was a terrible blow to Dean and to the rest of us who loved him. I knew Brian from my first day at AARC. He was my peer for most of treatment. He saved my ass several times when I was ready to quit or use. We stayed close after my graduation and worked on staff together. He rarely talked about his using past (except in group)and never about present day problems. I loved Brian and was devestated when he killed himself. I know Dean was too. I saw his reaction in several places. Al-Anon teaches about detaching with love. Hard to do, but those of us who were sober could not do much for Brian when he started making bad choices. I always thought there must be something from his past, either when using or from KIDS that he kept secret, was just too painful to talk about. I'm sorry he couldn't reach out. But his death is nobody's responsibility but his own.