Author Topic: What about "Carlbrook School"?  (Read 91840 times)

Offline Anne Bonney

• View Profile
Re: What about "Carlbrook School"?
« Reply #270 on: May 12, 2010, 01:42:36 PM »
Quote from: "Ursus"
Hmm. Why do you feel compelled to direct others as to how they should deal with their experiences? These are, after all, their experiences, and their parsing of those experiences, at issue here...

Stating the obvious here but......Cuz that's what they're taught to do.  Peer counseling dontchaknow.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
traight, St. Pete, early 80s
AA is a cult http://www.orange-papers.org/orange-cult.html

The more boring a child is, the more the parents, when showing off the child, receive adulation for being good parents-- because they have a tame child-creature in their house.  ~~  Frank Zappa

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #271 on: May 12, 2010, 01:45:08 PM »
Quote from: "Anne Bonney"
Hmm. Why do you feel compelled to direct others as to how they should deal with their experiences? These are, after all, their experiences, and their parsing of those experiences, at issue here...
Stating the obvious here but......Cuz that's what they're taught to do.  Peer counseling dontchaknow.
It was kinda supposed to be a rhetorical question...  :D
-------------- • -------------- • --------------

Offline Anne Bonney

• View Profile
« Reply #272 on: May 12, 2010, 01:46:03 PM »
It was kinda supposed to be a rhetorical question...  :D

:seg2:

The more boring a child is, the more the parents, when showing off the child, receive adulation for being good parents-- because they have a tame child-creature in their house.  ~~  Frank Zappa

Offline formerstudent06

• View Profile
Re: What about
« Reply #273 on: May 12, 2010, 02:02:35 PM »
I said that because if you really were abused, then only a professional can help guide you through that pain, not some fucking kids, many of which are bias in the sense that they also feel they were abused. You guys need to learn some psych for fuck sake. I was just urging people to find an objective point of view, not my own, or anyone else in this forum. An objective professional who has been trained to navigate through people's issues (not a carlbrook staff, but a completely unaffiliated entity that you trust). But obviously seems like a lot of you don't want to do that.

Offline Anne Bonney

• View Profile
« Reply #274 on: May 12, 2010, 02:11:42 PM »
Quote from: "formerstudent06"
I said that because if you really were abused, then only a professional can help guide you through that pain, not some fucking kids,

Hmmmm, but the programs are always telling us that "kids can help kids".  That pesky "peer counseling/therapeutic community" thing again.

many of which are bias in the sense that they also feel they were abused.

Holding the opinion that you were abused makes you biased?  Why would that not apply to the converse?

You guys need to learn some psych for fuck sake. I was just urging people to find an objective point of view, not my own, or anyone else in this forum. An objective professional who has been trained to navigate through people's issues (not a carlbrook staff, but a completely unaffiliated entity that you trust). But obviously seems like a lot of you don't want to do that.

Many of us have....and it's a good suggestion but....we've also found that being able to talk to others who went thru the same or similar places was as helpful, if not more because someone who has actually been thru the programs knows what happens behind closed doors.

Offline Oscar

• View Profile
    • Secret Prisons for Teens
« Reply #275 on: May 12, 2010, 05:04:09 PM »
We pretty much know what happened to Joseph Burns but what did happen do Brendon Patrick Deasey?

Offline Ursus

• View Profile
« Reply #276 on: May 12, 2010, 05:24:53 PM »
I said that because if you really were abused, then only a professional can help guide you through that pain, not some fucking kids,
Hmmmm, but the programs are always telling us that "kids can help kids".  That pesky "peer counseling/therapeutic community" thing again.
Nail. On. Head.

...many of which are bias in the sense that they also feel they were abused.
Holding the opinion that you were abused makes you biased?  Why would that not apply to the converse?
Yup. Touché olé!

You guys need to learn some psych for fuck sake. I was just urging people to find an objective point of view, not my own, or anyone else in this forum. An objective professional who has been trained to navigate through people's issues (not a carlbrook staff, but a completely unaffiliated entity that you trust). But obviously seems like a lot of you don't want to do that.
Many of us have....and it's a good suggestion but....we've also found that being able to talk to others who went thru the same or similar places was as helpful, if not more because someone who has actually been thru the programs knows what happens behind closed doors.
Not to mention that some psych professionals are even of the opinion that therapeutic communities and "positive" peer culture modalities are the latest greatest asset to humanity. Sorry, but that is part of what really messed me up to begin with, and anyone whose mind is already closed to how that can happen, is not liable to be of much help to me.
-------------- • -------------- • --------------

Offline Whooter

• View Profile
« Reply #277 on: May 12, 2010, 05:55:34 PM »
Holding the opinion that you were abused makes you biased? Why would that not apply to the converse?

I think he did when he said “Not Carlbrook Staff”.  Anyone who has touched a program has a bias.  The child whose life was turned around will give their program rave reviews.  The child who didn’t do well or was abused would be biased because of it and tell you that the program was ineffective and abusive.  A staff member will give his or her own biased opinion of the school or industry.  

All the opinions are equally important but the point that formerstudent06 was trying to make (I think) is to allow an unbiased professional navigate the feedback, one who can make an unbiased, professional opinion or assessment of the situation.  They would be better equipped to see the bigger picture and accept both sides of the issue equally and therefore be able to come to a better conclusion.

Offline formerstudent06

• View Profile
« Reply #278 on: May 12, 2010, 06:15:26 PM »
"Anne Bonney wrote:

formerstudent06 wrote:I said that because if you really were abused, then only a professional can help guide you through that pain, not some fucking kids,

Hmmmm, but the programs are always telling us that "kids can help kids". That pesky "peer counseling/therapeutic community" thing again."

- the programs are telling us that kids can help kids, yes. Are these not the same programs that certain people in this forum have accused of being abusive? And kids can help kids, sure, but without the supervision of a professional, whats to stop the kids from sending other kids in a direction that is actually harmful, not beneficial. The reality is that kids are not trained. That is all that I was saying. If there were a professional administrator in this group that was keeping an eye on the direction of conversation, then I would agree that kids helping kids would be appropriate in this place.

Anne Bonney wrote:

formerstudent06 wrote:...many of which are bias in the sense that they also feel they were abused.

Holding the opinion that you were abused makes you biased? Why would that not apply to the converse?

- people who believe they have been abused, especially ones who actually were, usually harbor a profoundly deep anger, which is not always directed in a positive way. It is not uncommon for someone who was abused to attempt to exact revenge on the perceived abuser, which is the feeling that I have gotten from several posts in this forum. When I say biased, I mean that certain individuals could be speaking from a place of uncontrolled anger, such as calling people pedophiles, making outrageous statements, or any sort of toxic remark toward another person. I would agree that people who have been abused can actually share a common perception, which could bring them closer, understand each other better, and be a positive connection on the road to healing. I am just cautioning people about the "banding" together of frustrated, angry victims of abuse without the direction of a professional who can recognize when things start to get uncontrolled.

Ok I'm done with this place. For the people that it helps, I'm glad that it helps.

Offline Pile of Dead Kids

• View Profile
« Reply #279 on: May 12, 2010, 09:38:57 PM »
Pile, you really are fucking sick. The worst I ever felt abused there was by the student's, ones just like you. I will no longer take part in this forum.

Liar.
...Sergey Blashchishen, James Shirey, Faith Finley, Katherine Rice, Ashlie Bunch, Brendan Blum, Caleb Jensen, Alex Cullinane, Rocco Magliozzi, Elisa Santry, Dillon Peak, Natalynndria Slim, Lenny Ortega, Angellika Arndt, Joey Aletriz, Martin Anderson, James White, Christening Garcia, Kasey Warner, Shirley Arciszewski, Linda Harris, Travis Parker, Omega Leach, Denis Maltez, Kevin Christie, Karlye Newman, Richard DeMaar, Alexis Richie, Shanice Nibbs, Levi Snyder, Natasha Newman, Gracie James, Michael Owens, Carlton Thomas, Taylor Mangham, Carnez Boone, Benjamin Lolley, Jessica Bradford's unnamed baby, Anthony Parker, Dysheka Streeter, Corey Foster, Joseph Winters, Bruce Staeger, Kenneth Barkley, Khalil Todd, Alec Lansing, Cristian Cuellar-Gonzales, Janaia Barnhart, a DRA victim who never even showed up in the news, and yet another unnamed girl at Summit School...

Offline just an fyi

• View Profile
« Reply #280 on: May 13, 2010, 09:15:51 AM »
Just for the record:

The contributor with the username "URSUS" is not a Carlbrook graduate. Please do not mistake him for an alumni with a similar name. That person will never be involved in this type of forum.

Just needed to clear that up.

Thank you.

Offline Anne Bonney

• View Profile
« Reply #281 on: May 13, 2010, 10:47:49 AM »

formerstudent06 wrote:I said that because if you really were abused, then only a professional can help guide you through that pain, not some fucking kids,

- the programs are telling us that kids can help kids, yes. Are these not the same programs that certain people in this forum have accused of being abusive? And kids can help kids, sure, but without the supervision of a professional, whats to stop the kids from sending other kids in a direction that is actually harmful, not beneficial.

Exactly my point about programs.  Kids helping kids....peer pressure, groupthink, absolute power and control over others etc.

The reality is that kids are not trained. That is all that I was saying. If there were a professional administrator in this group that was keeping an eye on the direction of conversation, then I would agree that kids helping kids would be appropriate in this place.

Most of us aren't kids anymore and all we're doing is talking about what helped us, individually, heal from the mindfuck.

- people who believe they have been abused, especially ones who actually were, usually harbor a profoundly deep anger, which is not always directed in a positive way. It is not uncommon for someone who was abused to attempt to exact revenge on the perceived abuser, which is the feeling that I have gotten from several posts in this forum. When I say biased, I mean that certain individuals could be speaking from a place of uncontrolled anger, such as calling people pedophiles, making outrageous statements, or any sort of toxic remark toward another person. I would agree that people who have been abused can actually share a common perception, which could bring them closer, understand each other better, and be a positive connection on the road to healing. I am just cautioning people about the "banding" together of frustrated, angry victims of abuse without the direction of a professional who can recognize when things start to get uncontrolled.

And the ones who are 'washed' might be biased FOR programs.  Two sides of the same coin.

Ok I'm done with this place. For the people that it helps, I'm glad that it helps.

There, now that wasn't so hard was it?

Offline free_speech

• View Profile
« Reply #282 on: May 16, 2010, 06:42:44 AM »
There's recently been a group created on Facebook of Carlbrook Alumni for Accountability in the Troubled Teen Field.  I think it's a bit more appropriate, and many people have been pretty objective in their discussion; however, there are also people that now can be victims or have an excuse for actions at and after Carlbrook.  It's such an interesting dichotomy when looking for information, because there is no possible way to get one complete answer.

I would have to disagree with a few of the above posts.  I don't think I'm here to be counseled by peers or get some cathartic experience.  I'm looking for information.  I've chosen to do this process on my own.  As for the comment that we all need to take some "fucking psych," I have taken a lot of formal research psychology as well as counseling classes, and done plenty of my own personal research.  I've made the choice to not seek professional help in this process, because I'd like to do this one on my own; I couldn't allow myself the irony of seeking a professional when my current issues are with professionals in the field.  With a professional also comes another opinion on residential treatment, and I'm ready for my own opinion.  Also, I think that the idea of "trained professionals" is a bit romanticized and formerstudent06 is a bit overzealous in prescribing this for me.

I'm just along for the ride, at the moment.

Offline cooltherapy

• View Profile
« Reply #283 on: May 23, 2010, 12:33:20 AM »
I said that because if you really were abused, then only a professional can help guide you through that pain, not some fucking kids, many of which are bias in the sense that they also feel they were abused. You guys need to learn some psych for fuck sake. I was just urging people to find an objective point of view, not my own, or anyone else in this forum. An objective professional who has been trained to navigate through people's issues (not a carlbrook staff, but a completely unaffiliated entity that you trust). But obviously seems like a lot of you don't want to do that.

lol

I like the new facebook group so much better.

Offline free_speech

• View Profile
« Reply #284 on: June 13, 2010, 10:15:03 AM »
For those of you who care about these advancements, the "Carlbrook Alumni Association" Facebook group has removed students' permission to post on the wall.  The "Carlbrook Students for Accountability and Oversight in the Troubled Teen Field" group has more members than the "Alumni Association."  There is also a former adviser asking for insight into what harmed us in the "Accountability" group.  Despite the emotions regarding what affected us negatively, I still hold the belief that the intentions are wholeheartedly good; in concordance with this belief, our privileges being revoked shows that the administration is listening to the concerns.  It will be interesting to see if there is some sort of staff response.  For those of you who don't care, please continue your day as usual.