Author Topic: Here's an idea  (Read 2040 times)

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
Here's an idea
« on: March 21, 2005, 09:54:00 PM »
I'm considering actually doing some work; making some code changes to the forum.

What I want to do is make it so that everybody's got a link to tie anon posts together. It won't be perfect. If the post came through a proxy, you'll only see all posts (or a reasonable number of them) that came through the same proxy. That's useless information if it's a popular proxy. But, in many cases, it'll clear up some confusion. You'd be able to take together all posts that come from the same IP w/o seeing the IP.

That would spoil some fun for some of our favorite trolls. You'd be able to tell who posts as which troll, so it might not be such a good idea. But then again, it might be worth it. I can't decide. What do ya'll think?

The German Nazis and the Russian Communists came very close to us in their methods, but they never had the courage to recognize their own motives. The object of persecution is persecution. The object of torture is torture. The object of power is power.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0451524934/circlofmiamithem' target='_new'>O'Brien, the apparatchik

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Here's an idea
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2005, 10:35:00 PM »
This would affect the trolls that log in? In this case I think I'd be against it. Couldn't you somehow implement it to affect anons only?

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
Here's an idea
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2005, 11:38:00 PM »
Yeah, I could do that. So then you'd only see all the anon posts from the same IP.

Nothing is denied to well-directed labor, and nothing is ever to be
attained without it.
--Joshua Reynolds (1723-1792)

Offline `

• View Profile
Here's an idea
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2005, 08:30:00 AM »
interesting. why do this? wouldn't it take something away?  would this mean that anon posts would be connected to usernames? anon posts can be annoying but i understand that there are times and situations when a person wants to post anonymous.*  i get the feeling that for some people, completely anonymous posting is the only way they would post, and if those people are posting memories or information on the Survivors' forum, they are extremely useful and i would not want them scared away. yes of course the logic is that they could log in.

also, would this turn out to be more exposure for someone who lived in, say, North Dakota, where there wasn't anyone else on the ISP? would this be less exposure for dial-up users whose IP address changes all the time?

who knows what powers that be watch the forums, another good reason not have all the anon posts from one IP address be connected.

*for example, when bringing up subject matter that is better not coming from a specific personality, or slanderous posts against the criminal scum. also, i have noticed more than once that someone talking about suicide wants to be anonymous. for this reason alone the anon feature should remain as is. i think a lot of survivors have a hard time getting help when suicidal because of the Baker act or whatever similar thing in their state might get them locked up and a lot of us probably are more terrified of being locked up than the average person.[ This Message was edited by: formerly known as on 2005-03-22 05:58 ][ This Message was edited by: formerly known as on 2005-03-22 06:01 ]

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Here's an idea
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2005, 08:57:00 AM »
interesting. why do this? wouldn't it take something away? would this mean that anon posts would be connected to usernames? anon posts can be annoying but i understand that there are times and situations when a person wants to post anonymous.

As far as this first bit- I think the idea is to link all anon posts together, no usernames involved. The anon above [me] asked, "Couldn't you somehow implement it to affect anons only?" So there would be no breach of anonymity, just an indication that the same anon posted 'this' and 'that.' I would have no problem at all with this.

As far as that second bit- Ginger said it wouldn't be perfect, and yes, I do think you have a legit objection as far as this part goes...in other words, it doesn't seem fair that it would affect some anons moreso than others. Still, I remain undecided on this despite that.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Here's an idea
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2005, 11:51:00 AM »
*for example, when bringing up subject matter that is better not coming from a specific personality, or slanderous posts against the criminal scum. also, i have noticed more than once that someone talking about suicide wants to be anonymous. for this reason alone the anon feature should remain as is. i think a lot of survivors have a hard time getting help when suicidal because of the Baker act or whatever similar thing in their state might get them locked up and a lot of us probably are more terrified of being locked up than the average person.

A very good point. I wouldn't have seen it either- it just so happened that I decided to scroll back..............

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Here's an idea
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2005, 06:02:00 PM »
On 2005-03-22 05:30:00, formerly known as wrote:

*for example, when bringing up subject matter that is better not coming from a specific personality, or slanderous posts against the criminal scum. also, i have noticed more than once that someone talking about suicide wants to be anonymous. for this reason alone the anon feature should remain as is. i think a lot of survivors have a hard time getting help when suicidal because of the Baker act or whatever similar thing in their state might get them locked up and a lot of us probably are more terrified of being locked up than the average person."

Maybe you could just tie together all the anon posts on the same thread that are from the same IP address.

As a matter of interest, what proportion of posts come from fixed IP addresses and what proportion come from people like me who are still in the age of steam?

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
Here's an idea
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2005, 04:57:00 PM »
Oh, I wouldn't even venture a guess and don't feel like counting.

All thinking men are atheists.
--Ernest Hemingway, American author

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Here's an idea
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2005, 08:09:00 PM »
I am against it. It infringes on the right of people to not be identified. I like that you let people choose to post with or without a user name. Better or for worse, but the spamming  of the board is wrong.

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
Here's an idea
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2005, 06:21:00 PM »
Oh, I'm not talking about revealing IPs. Just thinking of providing a link to other posts from the same location.

And it would be totally worthless in some cases, such as dialup accounts where every session comes from a different IP and proxy connections where dozens of different people share the same set of IPs.

Anyway, it was just a thought. It's not looking like such a good idea anymore.

In war, the stronger overcomes the weaker. In business, the stronger imparts strength to the weaker.
--Frederic Bastiat