Author Topic: My Opinions  (Read 21008 times)

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
My Opinions
« Reply #60 on: March 25, 2005, 03:44:00 PM »
On 2005-03-24 21:06:00, Anonymous wrote:

And besides, if it helps countless alcoholics and drug addicts, desprate to survive the night without a beer or a hit, then who are you to criticize and judge a tool that helps them.

But what if it doesn't? What if, instead of actually helping countless people, it actually only makes a few of them them dependent on the group, convinces them that it doesn't get any better than that while proving useless and harmful to most others?

That's what I hear from a lot of former steppers, anyway. And the numbers bear it out. Their stunning success rate only holds up if you consider attendance alone (not abstinance or moderation) and if you characterize roughly half as "stunning succes".

Again, I'm not any other poster but myself. I don't need for you to confess to haveing been harmed. Don't even want it. Am much relieved that you seem to have come through it all very well.

My concern is for kids who might get sent to a WWASP program based on their parents believing that your outcome is the usual story. I really don't think that it is.

All our liberties are due to men who, when their conscience has compelled them, have broken the laws of the land.
--William Kingdon Clifford

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline Perrigaud

• View Profile
My Opinions
« Reply #61 on: March 25, 2005, 03:45:00 PM »
Timoclea,
  You will see that both of us agree with you as far as the kids that are sent for no good reason.

Anonymous: You who has the audacity to call my opinions b/s. You who cannot show respect. I gotta tell you that that's quite the reaction. Niles and Antigen even Timoclea don't aggree yet they still show respect. You could learn from that. A genuine person feels no need to call other's opinions and views b/s. You can say it however bare in mind what it looks like to others. Good luck

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
My Opinions
« Reply #62 on: March 25, 2005, 03:55:00 PM »
Amada said
"I didn't love every moment there. It was a challenge. A challenge I think most of you who hate it might fear more than try. No one has ever made me do anything. If that was the case and I was brainwashed then how come after i came home, I relapsed into a horrible binge of drugs and sex and alcohol? How come the success rate is so low? How come I've had to watch the friends I made there slowly relapse into meth and alcohol and all that? It's because it is a choice."

This is actually what I'm trying to talk about.

You might not know it, but what you're saying is extremely common among people who have been in coercive TCs. Most do not do well. Many or most have problems afterward directly attributable to the method. For many, it's just a waste of time and money. The parents are happy for awhile. They've paid for and gotten the illusion of having done the right thing and of their child having benefitted. But it doesn't hold up for long.

But don't take my word for it. Just look over the people you know who have been through a WWASP or similar program and look over the medical description of PTSD.

Truth in matters of religion is simply the opinion that has survived.
--Oscar Wilde

10/80 - 10/82
Anonymity Anonymous
Some days, it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps.
"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline Perrigaud

• View Profile
My Opinions
« Reply #63 on: March 26, 2005, 04:58:00 AM »
Antigen,
 You brought up another good point. A common reason why relapse occurs is because they have become too dependant on the program. They have a therapist at hand all the time. The worst that could happen is that they go to isolation for a few days. They still have food, water, shelter, clothing, and such. They may even drop a few levels. They have staff members and girls to talk to all the time. It's too easy for them to become dependant. That is one thing that the program needs to work on. I was told that this was a common occurance. This in turn motivated me to work my ass off to gain independance. I knew that once I was out I was out. If I screwed up the consequences were worse. I refused to become dependant on the program. When I went back to the facility to visit I told the girls that they needed to gain as much knowledge and prepare for the real world. We were all told to make a support system to help us when we went home. Otherwise we'd have a hard time and may relapse. So true. I was ready to come home and succeed. And succeed I did. Don't get me wrong I still made bad decisions. However, I worked through them. That is another thing I think the program needs to work on. Teaching the kids to be independant. Teaching them not to need 300 people, staff, and therapists around them at all times. Again, we were told to take in as much as we could because once we were out we were on our own. The girls that did succeed realized this sooner or later and took charge of their life.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
My Opinions
« Reply #64 on: March 26, 2005, 12:05:00 PM »
Ok, this is to the annonymous person who wrote to ashley and me. It might take a while to respond because of the length of the response and Its harder for me to make a point in writing because I cant write as fast as I think so here goes.
I know you wrote that kids whose parents can pursuade them should go. But how many kids do you know at a teenage level are strong enough to admit they have a serious problem with drugs and should get help? I mean its even hard for 40 year old people to admit that even though those around them know they need it. I know because my mother in law is a serious drug and alcohol addict and needs help. But because she believes that AA or therapy wont work for her, shes been drugging and drinking as long as Ive known my husband, which is since high school and I know shes done it his whole life.
I know that you think alot of these kids have yet to hit rock bottom and therefore should not have to go. But I know that alot of the kids I knew there were not there for mere behavioral problems. they didn't just skip school, or drink sometimes, or disrespect their parents. they were drug addicts, sex addicts with multiple partners, told their parents to f#@% off every day and even were physically abusive to their parents, and there for needed and extreme form of help. Short term outpatient therapy did not work for them.
And trust me, any alcoholic or drug addict doen not want to go to treatment. Why do you think that is? Because they dont belong there? No. Its because they want to keep living the way they are comfortable living. They want to keep doing drugs, having sex, smoking ciggarettes, what not. There are people who understand after years of doing that to themselves that they might need help. But alot of people dont get to that point and by then they feel that its too late for them and they just give in to their addiction.
Also say a child isnt totally out of control and you choose not to send them to get help, and they end up getting worse and worse. What then? Say that program could have been something that could have helped that child. But when their 18 it's too late. then they have to go out and be ina an adult world and have no tools to deal with it.
You are right though. Parents have a responsibility to teach their children and communicate with them. But I know you must know that you can be the best mom in the world and do most everything right and your child can still turn out to have behavior problems and drug problems.
The program I went to had many different kids in it. Bi polar, add, depression, ect. Also there was an array of people with different issues. Rape, death of a family member or friend, drugd, alcohol, sex, co dependancy, eating disorders, physical abuse, ect. And some had many of these issues. But Iv'e never seen a therapist there who was unprepared to deal with an array of different issues. thats why they go to school forever. Becuase they are traind to help those with many differnt issues.
About the punishment reward thing. my friend Jules wants to work in a recovery program for her career. She has had 6 years of Colorado Colledge to prepare her for it. She went to work at this program for troubled teens where the idea was no matter how these girls treated oyu you were to always respond with positivity and no consequenses. They didnt really have rules and threw desks at her, called her a cunt bitch, a slut, told her to fuck off and were generally just rude and disrespectful. She said it was the most pointleess and ridiculous thing she ever did. So only rewarding and trying to always be kind in response to unkindness does not work for a pissed off teenager in alock down facility. Nad even in the outside world. I know no matter how many times I would throw things at my mom andsay I hated her and wanted her to die, she always tried to apologize and be kind to me. But I was so far gone that I didn't care. It actually made it worse, because I was so miserable and hated myself and distrusted myself so much that I didn't believe her or any one that tried to be nice to me.
And people with bipolar and other diseases have different therapy than I did for obvious reasons. And most of the people that had it were on medication to balance them out. But most of the time, Id say a kid knows the difference between righ tand wrong and just chooses the selfish choice even though they know the consequences.
So are you saying we are mearly able to function in society now? I think that is totally off. Not only can I function, I have self esteem, a subject very foreign to me before the program. And I have tools that help me on a daily basis to communicate with my husband and my parents, and with peple in general. The things you learn there are not just how to not do drugs or that stuff. They help you to feel good about who you are and have hopes and dreams for the future.
My brother actually happens to be completely blind. He went blind when he was 13 from a retina detaching in his left eye which over the course of 5 years and after 6 surgeries made him completely blind. We lived in Atlanta when that happend and my Mom knew that in CO there was the Deaf and Blind school. It was a live in school to help these kids learn mobility, sign language and all that. He went and now my brother has graduated with a 4.0 from the Univerdity of Colorado at Colrado Springs with a masters in teaching. He is an incredible person. Do I think he would be successful if my parents hadn't spen the money and time to move there and take him to that school? No. He would still be amazing but he needed more help than my parents could give him. I know the situation is different, but you arent helpless with kids with disabliltlies or mental disorders. It just takes a different approach sometimes.
To be fair to those "idiot" parents, they did try alot of different approaches before they sent their kids there. Do you think my mom was just like "oh amandas doing bad. Lets send her off wehre we are unsure if she will get better and spend a large amount of money." No. they sent me to countless therapists, depression medicaiton, antibuse, ect. I did that for 4 years, but the day I ran away from home after my parents caught me doing drugs was when they realized that wasnt going to work for me. Now if that works for othwr kids, more power to them. Right on! Thst means that those kids got better a different way and I'm happy for those parents and those teens. But not everything works for everyone and I'm glad many different treatment facilities are out there so the ones that work can work for many people.
Many of the kids that thoght they sholdnt be there were lying to their parents about the program. I know because I was there. And their parents took them out and now the kids are back to the same old stuff. When your so oppositional defiant, of course oyu are going to hate rules. Many of them had NO rules at home at all. They could do what htey wanted or they just didn't listen to their parents and disobeyed the rules. What a shame they actually had to follow some rules for once in their life. What a travesty! What abuse! I mean come on! Kids need boundaries and rules. If not their ego takes over ned they do what feels good. Any one who has studies child psychology or any psychology knows that! Without rules people do what they want, so saying rules are mean or wrong is just not accurate. Rules help a pareson learn how to set boundaries for themselves. And thank god i learned how to do that in a safe environment.
And trust me, in my program no one was being abused or mistrated. if anything it is those childrens parents who were being abused and mistreated by them. There was no physical abuse, no sexual abuse, nothing of that kind. If oyu consider setting rules and boundaries abuse then you are right. But I certainly dont think that stting rules is abusive.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
My Opinions
« Reply #65 on: March 26, 2005, 12:13:00 PM »
But what if? I happen to know alot of alcoholics and addicts(being one myself and having gone to AA ALOT) and I know that it does help them. YOu cant argue with results. If it dosnt work for you, then dont do it. It is as simple as that. My therapist never told me I had to talk like that. I just did. it helped me. Have you ever heard of AA? It is a group of people who all have similar conditions that get together and deal as a group woith their issues. So yes, you do get "dependant" on a group. Well dependant isnt the right word, more like you use the group to help you. And I know alot of peopel with 40 yearws of sobriety under hteir belt that say it is a damn good thing they had AA and the group or they wouldnt have made it.
 i dont think the success rate of AA has anything to do with need ing the group to survive. i think it has to do with personal coices and the fact that you have a disease called alcoholism that is a hard thing to recover from. And when you start to slip up, when you relapse it is usually because you dont want help anymore nad oyu dont care. Not becuase it dosnt work.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
My Opinions
« Reply #66 on: March 26, 2005, 12:25:00 PM »
Have you ever heard of the word addiction? It is a strong powerful need to do something in excess. Addiction is so complicated that you can get help and do well and still relapse. It dosnt have anything to do with the program working or not. It has to do with the fact that drugs and alcohol(especially alcohol cuz its legal) are hard to escape from. Especially if oyu factor in that it can be a genetic disease. My family is full of alcoholics on both sides. I feel I have more of a chance of being on e than others becuase of that. But when I relapsed, it wasnt because I somehow realizes that the program didnt work for me anymore or something and the "brainwashing" wore off. It was because I made the choice to no longer talk to those who supported me in my life and started making friends with drugies again. And I stopped going to AA, calling my sponsor, sterted lying to my family and friends again, started to do shit I know was wrong for me. I know the whole time i stretd to slip that I had a choice and I knew what I was doing was wrong. But I didnt care nad I chose drugs instead. I actually have a concious now so I know when I 'm doing something unhealthy. I am ok now. And I know it's because of what I learned in the program that I didnt stay "out" as long a sI could have. I made a choice to stop and did it(with help). Now I'm not saying all programs are perfect. I'm sure that alot of them arent' But i know mine worked. I also know that alot of peopel want a solution to the youth drug and alcohol and sex problem, but are unwilling to work wiht the soulitions that we have (treatment programs) Society thinks jail is a much better soulition. DO you? I think treatment facilities work for people. Not all the time but would you take away a bunch of peoples recovery and happiness from the positive effects the program had on them just because a few defiant people who dont like rules complained about the program?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
My Opinions
« Reply #67 on: March 26, 2005, 01:44:00 PM »
http://orange-papers.org/orange-interpreted.html

The doctrine that you are "powerless over alcohol" is really bad, and has killed a lot of people. It is a formula for disaster that is often a self-fulfilling prediction. When people really believe that they cannot control their own drinking because they are powerless over alcohol, then they don't. They tend to go on prolonged binges, imagining that they have no choice in the matter. (Well, it sounds good when you are drunk.) The idea that you are powerless over alcohol and can't help yourself is an alcoholic's ready-made rationalization for taking a drink whenever the urge comes along. In one controlled study of A.A.'s effectiveness, court-mandated offenders who had been sent to A.A. for several months were doing five times as much binge drinking as the other alcoholics who got no such Alcoholics Anonymous "help".

http://orange-papers.org/orange-addmonst.html

Fortunately for you, the higher you who is reading this, you are more powerful and more intelligent than base brain. You can over-rule base brain, and make it obey your orders. Base brain won't like it, though, and he won't make it easy. Base brain would like to get rid of you, just like a bad-tempered horse who wants to buck off its rider. But you can still win. You are not powerless. You are not powerless over alcohol, or your addictions, or any of that stuff. Quite the contrary, you are very powerful. You are much more powerful, and much, much smarter than base brain. You can fight the cravings. You can dispute the addictive voice that is alternately begging you and ordering you to drink or use. And the more you do over-ride the addictive voice, the weaker it becomes, and the stronger you become.

Offline Perrigaud

• View Profile
My Opinions
« Reply #68 on: March 26, 2005, 02:14:00 PM »
Are you an alcoholic "base brain" preacher? Have you had a serious addiction.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
My Opinions
« Reply #69 on: March 26, 2005, 02:21:00 PM »
Convincing a person that they are "powerless" is a sure-fire way to make them powerless. This has been proven time and time again.

But, of course, that doesn't really matter to Perrigaud. After all, it's not in line with what she was told in her seminars, so it must be wrong.

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
gt;>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Hidden Lake Academy, after operating 12 years unlicensed will now be monitored by the state. Access information on the Federal Class Action lawsuit against HLA here: http://www.fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?t=17700

Offline Perrigaud

• View Profile
My Opinions
« Reply #71 on: March 26, 2005, 02:58:00 PM »
Anonymous: I'm not an addict. Never had a problem with drugs or alcohol. I was asking you a question and you couldn't answer it.
Is that all you can come up with? You don't even have any points except to mock me. How original and childish. Keep throwing your assumptions they only make you look rediculous. At least have the balls to come up with something valid or just keep doing what you are doing. I asked a simple question. One you couldn't even answer. How pathetic.

Offline alternativa

• View Profile
My Opinions
« Reply #72 on: March 26, 2005, 02:59:00 PM »
The deconstructive analysis of the 12 steps was at best a C-. Certainly the author could not be confused with Jacques Derrida, who was quite clear that all western culture and philosophy was logocentric--so obviously, AA would fit as another entity with the logos as its center.

That said, here's the problem with AA. Back in the day, it was a voluntary program--in fact, it was pretty much the only program that had any degree of success whatsoever. Courts didn't send people to AA. They only wanted you if you came on your own, and nobody came on their own until they were so down and out they couldn't stand it any more and were willing to do anything to get sober. Times changed. The rehab business began to flourish and AA became mixed into that.  Rehabs and courts and behavior modification programs all used AA as a sort of core, doctored with psychology (talk about logocentric), reprogramming techniques, etc. etc.

But AA on its own is a very odd cult. It has no leader. It doesn't ask for money (ok--a dollar in the basket is nice), it doesn't exclude people or shun them. A lot of what passes for AA now is stuff from Hazeldon literature or corrupted interpretations.  No one should ever be forced to go to AA. It's a waste of time. In fact, I'm beginning to think no one should be forced to do a damn thing they don't want to do.

Offline Perrigaud

• View Profile
My Opinions
« Reply #73 on: March 26, 2005, 02:59:00 PM »
Another thing anonymous. They didn't say anything to me about addiction or powerlessness. Nice try. You're just reaching for nothing and talking out of your ass. :wink:Have fun ASSumer.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
My Opinions
« Reply #74 on: March 26, 2005, 03:38:00 PM »
Powerless ness over alcohol dosnt kill people, alcohol kills people. Alcoholism is a progressive disease. Just look in any psychology text and you will see countless studies on this subject. Trust me I know. i am a psychology major. And I have reaseerched the subject on neumerous occasions for projects and what not. Not to mention the fact that i happen to be one so I understand it.
And its not like AA says , "ok, you are powerless and therefore there is nothing you can do to help yourslef so why dont you just go and drink". They say you admit powerlessness and that your life has become unmanagable. And therefore you need the help. IF all i had to do was to just stop because I knew i needed to i would just stop. If that were the case, all of us could see something is bad for us and just not do it. Some can. But many of us cannot. We need to admit we need help and cant do it on our own. I know even though I dont go to AA all the time anymore, without my friends to talk with about these issues (sober friends, not those still using) I could not make it. I need a support group. And many others do too. I believe I have a daily choice of whether to drink or not, but I dont believe that I can change the fact that when I drink, I always drink excessivly and when I drug i always drug excessivly. i dont have a part of me like others that says ok this was fun to have one or two drinks lets call it quits. My brain says hey what do you mean last call? To hell with that! I need at least 15 more drinks to feel good. I know that I will always have a problem with drugs and alcohol. i cant believe that one day I will drink like a normal person or be able to take a few hits of a drug and be ok. i know I will always do these things in excess. And if you look at an alcoholic mentality, usually it is not just in the area of alcohol or drugs that we excess, it is in many different areas that we are excessive people. In relationships, in eating, in Tv usage, in working, we are always  so excessive. I know I watch Tv too much, I smoke too many cigarettes, I eat too much sometimes. I have an excessive personality and I dont think i can change that. What I can change is how I deal with that excessivness> I can choose to give in to it, or i can choose to deal with is, acknowledge it and move foreward. Alcoholism is a constant struggle. Are you an alcoholic? Have you ever done drugs in excess? Had a true addiction? If oyu had than I would think you would understand that it is way more complicated than just "not doing it". YOu wuold know that everything can go well for you in your life and you stil have cravings for these things. That is why AA exists. So that when you have these cravings, oyu can go to a place where there are people that understand and dont say just dont do it anymore. I believe in the higher self, but anyone that believes that must know that humwan beings are imperfect. we falter on a  constant basis, and anyone who says ythey have it allfigured out and have no problems and know how yto deal with everything life throws at them is lying. No one knows how to deal with everything. That is why we are searching for that higher self. it takes years to discover an enlightened self. It takes dedication and a lifetime. And I know that if I truly believed that I was in control of my life and I never needed help and things never happen for a reason, then my life would suck booty. Because its that exact mentality that screwed me up in the first place. I thought I knew motre than anyone else nad that I knew everything I did was right because I didn't listen to anyone. i ttried to control everyting and it all fell apart because I cant control everything. some things no one has control over. Like if someone close to you dies OYu may not have control over the situation, but you can control how you handle it. Aditude is a choice. oyu can have the shittiest life ever and still be a nice person. My husband has had an incredibly hard life and he is the sweetest man alive. Hes kind and gerneous and sweet. But he still has problems with addictions that haunt him and he chooses not to get help. So he stays that way and believes that it will not work for him. But he wont even try it. Now that is a true version of someone who feels powerless. You look for any reason you can so that something wont work for you so you just give up. At least alcoholics are trying something to help them improve their lives. At least they arent just saying I;m powerless so I cant do anything about it. Do you know how hard the alcoholics I know work every day to stay sober? They work on self improvement more than anyone else i know. They are constantly searching to be a better person and to spread that positivity to the world around them. That to me is a really incredible thing. I know many people that may not have addiction problems or anything, but they are still crap heads to others and to themselves. And they never try to improve themselves or love others. They are self pitying losers, who only spread negativity and fear. But the truth of the matter is, every person is different and no thing is right for everyone. It's like Christianity. I have a predominatly Christian family, but I'm not. I dont agree with many things about it, but I'm not going to go around and tell my Christian friends and family that the way they are doing things is wrong and that because I dont believe it that is the only truth. I respect them enough to let them believe what they want and actually I embrace the parts of Christanity that I think are right on and the parts I dont agree with I dont embrace. Its like with anything. You dont have to believe all of it is right to believe it. All Im saying is that it seems like you are a little bit judgemental about this without even going through it yourself. How can you speak so strongly about somewhere youve never been? Something youve never done? I would never go up to a veteran and start spouting off my view on the war they went through and try to tell them that what they did was stupid.. How could I know what that was possibly like? For instance my brother is in Iraq right now. I hate this war and its greed inspired nature, but I'm not going to tell him that. I support him in his decision to be there. He feels it is his duty. Same thing with my Christian relatives (back to that) Im not going to sit and tell my super conservative Christian brother his whole belief system is stupid, because that is what works for him and who am I to say it's wrong for him just because I dont agree? In the same respect, who are you to say that if a program works for someone that it is wrong? How could you know if youve never been or tried it yourself?