Author Topic: Death in Texas at "On Track" Wilderness  (Read 17245 times)

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
Death in Texas at "On Track" Wilderness
« on: October 17, 2002, 10:55:00 PM »
Newshawk: Suzy Wills
Pubdate: 10-17-02
Source: Dallas Morning News
Author: TANYA EISERER
Webpage Reference:
http://www.dallasnews.com/localnews/cit ... tyouthcamp
2.682ea.html
Death of teen at therapy facility investigated Richardson 17-year-old died being restrained by staff in Hill Country
10/17/2002

By TANYA EISERER / The Dallas Morning News
Authorities are investigating Monday's death of a 17-year-old Richardson youth who died while being restrained by staff members at a rural Hill Country program for troubled youths.

Charles "Chase" Moody died on the grounds of On Track, a private therapeutic program on a 6,000-acre former exotic-game preserve near
Mason.

"We all want to ... understand what happened so this never happens again," said
Marguerite Sallee, president and chief executive officer of The Brown Schools,
a company based in Nashville, Tenn., that owns and operates On Track.

Law enforcement officials could not be reached for comment Wednesday
night.

Charles Moody, the boy's father, said he has many unanswered questions. "I want the truth to come out," said Mr. Moody, a Dallas lawyer. "I certainly wonder whether it could have been prevented." He said his son, who had been having drug, alcohol and anger management problems, had been in the program for about a week.

Company officials said two staff members put the teen into a "physical hold" after he became physically and verbally aggressive. Staff members then called 911 for help.
By the time officers arrived, the youth was having difficulty breathing and paramedics were called, but he died before they arrived, company officials said.

Ms. Sallee said she thinks the preliminary investigation indicates that staff members followed proper procedures. She said she has met with a Texas Ranger who was investigating the death.

Mr. Moody's parents were immediately notified, as were the parents of the six
other youths at the facility, company officials said.

On Track is a 28-day program for struggling youths between the ages of 13 and 17. The camp usually accommodates between five and 15 youths.

E-mail http://www.tdprs.state.tx.us/Child_Care ... fessionals
/mncity.asp

Other interesting links:
CEDU acquired by Brown Schools
http://www.strugglingteens.com/archives ... ews03.html

Chris Kocurek of Austin created On Track
http://www.strugglingteens.com/archives ... een02.html

In 2000 Kocurek at SageWalk Wilderness Program in Bend, Oregon
http://www.strugglingteens.com/archives ... een01.html
http://www.strugglingteens.com/archives ... ews02.html

Bingo...here's the connection between Kocurek and Wardle
http://www.strugglingteens.com/archives ... een03.html
WARDLE HIRED BY SAGEWALK
(April 15, 2000) Chris Kocurek, Director of SageWalk, in Bend, Oregon, 800-877-1922, announced they have hired Mark Wardle for wilderness operations. Wardle had been Director of OnTrack Wilderness in Texas.
A year later Wardle is at Skyline Journey.
http://www.strugglingteens.com/archives ... een01.html

And remember, Sagewalk employed Aaron Bacon's murderer, Eric Henry during a 9 month diversion agreement following Bacon's death. Then went on to Obsidian Trails where another death occured.
http://www.contac.org/contaclibrary/tragedy28.htm
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
gt;>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Hidden Lake Academy, after operating 12 years unlicensed will now be monitored by the state. Access information on the Federal Class Action lawsuit against HLA here: http://www.fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?t=17700

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2002, 10:23:00 PM »
http://www.austin360.com/statesman/edit ... ews_1.html

How ironic is it that the father of the deceased defended Brown Schools in the 1988 restraint death of Brandon Hadden. Then his ex-wife sends their son to Brown's On Track Wilderness Program without his knowledge, where he is killed by an illegal restraint???  Too weird.

Excerpts:

Moments before a 17-year-old died in their care last week, employees at a Mason County wilderness program held the youth in a restraint outlawed a year ago because of its lethal potential, officials at the camp said Tuesday.

Charles Chase Moody is at least the fifth youth to die in Texas since 1988 after being restrained in a facility or program run by the Brown Schools. Officials for the Nashville-based company acknowledged the deaths and the fact that Moody had been placed facedown in a prone position.

Moody, who is divorced, said he did not know that his son, who was taking medication for anger issues and had been in a treatment facility before for drug and anger problems, had been sent to the On Track wilderness program in Mason.

The first death occurred in 1988 at South Austin's Healthcare Rehabilitation Center, which has since been renamed. An 18-year-old, Brandon Hadden of East Texas, died after being restrained in a straitjacket and held facedown on a bed, according to Michael Slack of Austin, who represented Hadden's mother.

"He started to vomit in their presence . . . and choked to death with two staff members continuing to hold him down," Slack said.

Charles Moody (father of the deceased), who was the defense lawyer for the Brown Schools in that case, settled it during trial in 1997 for an undisclosed amount.

But critics such as Jerry Boswell, president of the Austin chapter of the Citizens Commission on Human Rights, say these cases are occurring too frequently.

"The more you look at a situation like this, the more incensed you get," Boswell said. "How many children have to die . . . before you lose a license in this state?"

[ This Message was edited by: Deborah on 2002-10-23 19:24 ]
Hidden Lake Academy, after operating 12 years unlicensed will now be monitored by the state. Access information on the Federal Class Action lawsuit against HLA here: http://www.fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?t=17700

Offline Leah

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2003, 09:47:00 PM »
As you can plainly see from the dates on the links you gave, Wardle had left On Track a couple of years prior to the death there.  I think trying to link the two deaths ( On Track and Skyline Journey) is a STRETCH!!! Please.  Is this a witch hunt?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2003, 10:34:00 PM »
Is this a witch hunt?

I suppose so, if you want to refer to yourself as such. Personally, I could come up with somewhat stronger terms.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2003, 10:37:00 PM »
How ironic is it that the father of the deceased defended Brown Schools in the 1988 restraint death of Brandon Hadden. Then his ex-wife sends their son to Brown's On Track Wilderness Program without his knowledge, where he is killed by an illegal restraint??? Too weird.

I don't think it's that weird at all. Think about it. Where do these people draw professional services? Generally, from the TOUGHLOVE parent groups and other supporters. It's as natural a consequence of the whole sick, twisted cult mentality as the tragic death of Patrick Dorismond.

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2003, 11:49:00 PM »
Camp staff is accused of abuse in teen death
If upheld, state's finding will keep 3 employees out of child-care work
By Jonathan Osborne

AMERICAN-STATESMAN STAFF

Saturday, January 4, 2003

State investigators have accused three Hill Country wilderness camp employees of physical abuse and neglect in connection with the
restraint-related death of a teenager in their care, an official with the Texas Department of Protective and Regulatory Services said Friday.

According to a Travis County autopsy report, 17-year-old Chase Moody died Oct. 14 of traumatic asphyxia, which investigators said occurred
after he was physically restrained in a prone position by the camp's staff. Officials with the Brown Schools, the Nashville-based company
that owns and operates the On Track wilderness program, have disputed the medical examiner's ruling.

Each of the accused staff members, whose names have not been released,will have two opportunities to appeal the investigators' findings -- first with the regulatory department's administration and then with the
state office of administrative hearings.

If the reviews uphold the accusations, the three staff members' names would be entered into a central registry as having been cited for abuse
and neglect of a child, department spokesman Geoffrey Wool said.

"Everyone who is involved in licensed child care in Texas, their background is checked on this central registry," Wool said. "The finding
of physical abuse would basically prohibit you from ever being employed in licensed child care in Texas. That's just a hands-down ruling."

Brown Schools spokeswoman Diane Huggins said Friday she had not yet learned of the findings and could not comment.

State investigators also are looking into whether the Brown Schools violated any state regulatory standards, which prohibit certain kinds of
physical restraints, in connection with the incident. That investigation is expected to be wrapped up within the next two weeks.

The findings, which are part of a report that has not been released, are separate from an ongoing criminal investigation. Ronald Sutton, the
McCulloch County district attorney with jurisdiction over Mason County, said he plans to take that case to a grand jury sometime within the next few months. He said the regulatory department's report would be helpful.

"It's interesting," Sutton said. "I'd like to read the findings."

The Brown Schools operates residential treatment centers, wilderness camps and boarding schools that for the most part focus on treating
troubled or disabled youths. Huggins said her company is cooperating fully with authorities.

The camp in Mason County is marketed as a 28-day therapeutic adventure program.

On Nov. 5, Brown Schools officials voluntarily stopped admitting children into On Track until the investigation into Moody's death is
resolved. In December, the company lost its lease to the land it used -- 6,000 acres owned by Texas Parks and Wildlife Department.

Ron George, deputy director of the department's wildlife division, said the termination of the lease was unrelated to Moody's death.

"There was a series of cases of On Track not delivering services they said they would provide -- building things, clearing brush -- those kind
of things," George said. "The review of the contract was already in place before that incident took place."

Moody, who lived in Richardson with his mother, had been sent to the camp primarily to work out anger issues, his parents said.

According to Huggins, Moody lashed out at one of the counselors on the night of his death. Staff members then placed him in what's known as the
"team control position," where they interlock legs, pull back the person's wrists and cup their hands on the shoulders. In the struggle,
they fell forward and continued to restrain Moody on the ground while using a cell phone to call for help.

Sutton has said it was his understanding that at least one of the staff members was sitting on Moody when sheriff's deputies arrived. Department
standards prohibit any pressure being applied to a youth's back when being held in a prone restraint.

Huggins has repeatedly said that no weight was placed on Moody's back and that the On Track staff handled the situation appropriately and
followed all the proper procedures.

The company also hired Bexar County Chief Medical Examiner Vincent DiMaio to review the autopsy report. DiMaio, who disputed the Travis
County medical examiner's findings, has said he believes Moody died of "excited delirium." In other words, Moody's highly excited state,
combined with the antidepressants he was taking, caused his heart to stop. The Travis County autopsy found that he suffocated.

The boy's father, Charles Moody, a former defense lawyer, represented the Brown Schools in a 1988 restraint-related death. He's now a
plaintiff's lawyer who specializes in medical malpractice.

He said he learned of the investigator's findings on Friday. "It certainly comes as no surprise given the lack of answers or information
I've been given based on very specific questions I posed to (officials at the Brown Schools)," Moody said. "They can't possibly, in good
conscience, in my mind, say that they handled this situation appropriately in every facet. There's just no way. You just don't have
this outcome."

[email protected]; 445-3621

Offline FaceKhan

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2003, 02:32:00 PM »
Considering the place like most fad treatment programs was falsely advertising its and its staffs qualification to treat kids in the first place, it should not even be a qestion as to what kind of restraint was used. Any restraint at these places should be considered assualt and deaths resulting from them should be considered felony murder (fraud and child abuse being the underlying crime) and the perpetrators should get a needle in their arm.
All of the darkness of the world cannot put out the light of one small candle.\"

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2003, 09:14:00 AM »
http://www.strugglingteens.com/news/ontrackclosure.html

CLOSURE OF ON TRACK
THERAPEUTIC ADVENTURE PROGRAM

(January 9, 2003) - We recently received notice that the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department will not renew the lease of their property to the On Track Therapeutic Adventure Program in Mason, Texas. Therefore, we have reluctantly decided to close the program.

We are gratified that On Track has had many significant successes in their work for families with children struggling with emotional and behavioral issues. Over the past five years, On Track has served 500 children and their families.

On Track is a therapeutic adventure program for struggling adolescents, ages 13 - 17. The program is located on a 6,000-acre former exotic game preserve in the Texas Hill Country.

[email protected]

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2003, 11:46:00 PM »
I am Chase Moody's sister, and I do not appreciate what you are posting on this site.  Your facts are clearly not correct.  I ask that you refrain from posting more about my brother without my family's permission or the correct facts.  You should not make your opinion on a tragic issue public.  You know nothing about what happened and your insight is NOT appreciated!

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2003, 08:22:00 AM »
Dear Anonymous,
With all due respect, I fail to understand your comment, "your facts are clearly not correct".
Most of what is posted here are news articles and people's opinions about the facts reported. If they are inaccurate, then perhaps you might want to shed some light on the subject.

Unfortunately, when a teen dies at a program, that is a public matter. To my knowledge citizens do have a right to post news articles and discuss and debate the details of any tragic event without permission from the family.

No one really knows what happened that night, only what the program and law enforcement reported to the papers. That is what we are discussing here, with the assumption that the facts were reported accurately.

Out of compassion for your suffering, I'd be willing to consider editing anything specific in  my posts that you find offensive to your family.
And, I'm sure we'd all appreciate a posting of any later articles that might be more accurate.
Deborah

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2003, 09:18:00 AM »
>>I think trying to link the two deaths ( On Track and Skyline Journey) is a STRETCH!!!

Leah,Leah,Leah,
Linking the deaths was not my intention. That was your defensive and inaccurate interpretation.
You might have asked first, instead of publicly displaying your ignorance with that erroneous assumption.

I find it curious and interesting that Wardle was associated with an abusive program prior to opening Skyline. It speaks volumes to ME about his character.

The relationships of Program people are fascinating to me. How they move around, where they have worked, their relationship with abusive programs, the amount of money they give politicians, how long they work in the industry before they start their own program. Kinda like a public resume.

I imagine you're not a member of the Enquiring Minds Club...and probably resent me because I am.
Deborah

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2003, 01:07:00 PM »
They seem to think that the cult rules extend to the world outside the cult. Just a week or so ago, I had some joker trying to get me to edit or add an adendum to a published news item claiming a the newly named organization had nothing to do with the same organization under it's previous name.

He that will not reason is a bigot; he who cannot is a fool; and he who dares not, is a slave.
--William Drummond (1585-1640)

"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2003, 12:54:00 PM »
After reading all of the insights, I must agree with "Anonymous"...who I am assuming to be A.M.  People with no knowledge of the family and Chase himself have no right to post any comments on the situation. The pain that the family has endured in the past months has been more than any family should have to go through and gossip such as that being posted here does not do anything to relieve the situation, but instead adds to the stress of all of those involved.  Instead of gossiping about Chase, be thankful that you have your family safe and intact.  Then, go play basketball.

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2003, 02:38:00 PM »
"Gossip"?  We must have a different definition.
"Adds to the stress of all of those involved"  Sorry I can't see your point. Are the family members visiting this site? If they are, wouldn't that be a form of self-tourture? If indeed these posts bothered them.
I have much empathy for their personal suffering. I knew a teen who was killed in a program.
I feel it's very important to talk about these tragedies, and let other parents know the risks they are taking when they abdicate responsibility for their offspring.
Sorry to disappoint.

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2003, 01:55:00 AM »
The Austin American Statesman is running a series of articles on illegal restraint, wilderness, Zaffarini's bill, and specifically Moody's death.
The father has hired Johnnie Cochran!!! Another important point that is made- the lack of monitoring and regulating by State agencies. I'm now of the opinion that Wilderness programs, by their nature, can not be adequately monitored and should just be banned.
Deborah

http://www.statesman.com/asection/conte ... ews_2.html

When discipline turns fatal
Texas lacks tough law on prone restraint that's banned in three states

By Jonathan Osborne and Mike Ward

AMERICAN-STATESMAN STAFF

Sunday, May 18, 2003

MASON --The deputy's headlights broke the middle-of-nowhere October darkness as he rolled down the red-dirt road to a campsite.

He fixed his cruiser's spotlight on the scene: tent silhouettes, a small fire and -- as Mason County Deputy Harold Low would later describe in
his official report -- 17-year-old Chase Moody chest-down, pinned to the ground by three camp counselors.

Low handcuffed one arm and flipped the boy over. That's when he saw the vomit and realized that Chase wasn't breathing.

The Richardson teenager did not make it off the hilltop alive that night, and he wasn't the first to lose his life this way.

Moody was one of thousands of Texas children and tens of thousands nationwide who have become part of a booming $60 billion industry that promises to reform teens who have veered off the path of acceptable behavior.

Whether they have serious psychological problems, rebellious streaks or parents who have lost their patience, these children soon find themselves at the mercy of a system for which there is scant oversight or accountability and spotty record-keeping.

And there is no easy way for parents to compare the track records of various programs.

The inability to rein in the widespread use of improper physical restraints, such as the one the state investigators believe was used on Chase Moody, is emblematic of efforts to regulate the industry itself.

That night, at the On Track therapeutic wilderness program, Chase Moody became one more name on a list of what are believed to be hundreds of youth and adults in this country who have died in the past decade after being held in a physical restraint in a residential care setting.

Chase Moody also became at least the 44th youth or adult in Texas to die under similar circumstances since 1988. And in the aftermath of his death, Chase has become the latest reminder of state lawmakers' unwillingness to pass tougher laws governing restraint that could prevent other people from dying this way or even to better track the body count.

"How many more kids have to die before they do something about it?" Chase's father, Dallas lawyer Charles Moody, asked.

In 1998, at the request of the Hartford (Conn.) Courant, the Harvard Center for Risk Analysis estimated that 50 to 150 adults and children
die each year during or shortly after being placed in a restraint. The analysis was based largely on data from the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services and New York, the only state that in 1998 investigated all deaths in institutions.

The Courant confirmed 142 restraint-related deaths of adults and children since 1988. The true death count, according to the Courant,
could be three to 10 times higher because many cases are not reported to authorities,according to the statistical estimate.

In 1999, a report from the U.S. General Accounting Office pointed out the government's deficiency. (Read more about the GAO's findings about the lack of regulation and adequate record-keeping of the use of restraints at statesman.com/specialreports/restraint/).

Four years later, no one knows the toll, largely because efforts to track or research such deaths have not taken hold in every state or at the federal level.

At least two more youths have died this year after being restrained: one in Colorado, the other in California. Chase Moody was at least the third youth to die in Texas last year.

Just two days before Chase's death, on Oct. 12, Maria Mendoza stopped breathing moments after being placed in a restraint by staff members at
Krause Children's Center in Katy, according to a Department of Protective and Regulatory Services investigation. The Harris County medical examiner's office ruled that the 14-year-old died of "mechanical" or traumatic asphyxiation. In simple terms, that means external pressure or the position of her body prevented her from
breathing.

In February 2002, 15-year-old Latasha Bush died several days after being restrained by staff at the Daystar Residential Center in Southeast
Texas, a DPRS investigation concluded. Again, the medical examiner listed mechanical asphyxiation as the cause of death.

Travis County Deputy Medical Examiner Elizabeth Peacock ruled that Chase Moody died the same way, choking on a last supper of macaroni and green
beans as crushing pressure on his torso forestalled any draws for air.

The Brown Schools, which owned the camp and based its administrative operations in Austin, have disputed the autopsy with their own expert,
who contends that Chase died from excited delirium, which means he became so agitated and enraged that his heart stopped. (Read more about
the medical argument of traumatic asphyxia vs. excited delirium at
statesman.com/specialreports/restraint/.)

Regardless, critics say the tragedy could -- and should --have been prevented. As Charles Moody told the state Senate Health and Human
Services Committee in April, Chase "choked on his own vomit, and nobody even knew it."

Little enforcement

Prone restraints, such as the one Chase Moody wound up in, are discouraged in Texas and many other states, and entirely banned in at least three.

Texas prison officials consider such restraints so dangerous that they ban guards from employing the techniques on even the most violent inmates.

Prison rules prohibit pressure from being applied to a convict's neck, back, chest or stomach and mandate that "the supervisor shall ensure the
offender is continuously monitored to identify breathing difficulties, loss of consciousness or other medical concerns, and seek immediate
medical treatment if necessary." They also mandate that offenders shall be placed onto their side or into a sitting position "as soon as
practicable."

"Once they go to the ground, there can be problems," said Larry Todd, spokesman for the Texas Department of Criminal Justice.

Texas also is one of a handful of states with strong regulations limiting the use of restraints in therapeutic settings. However, regulators lack effective means to enforce their own rules. And in Texas, even watered-down legislation to ban the potentially fatal restraints has little chance making a difference, even if approved.

The Texas Department of Protective and Regulatory Services, the agency responsible for regulating the use of restraint in private 24-hour
residential settings for youth, licenses nine therapeutic wilderness programs and 77 youth residential treatment centers statewide. The
agency's residential child-care licensing division, which receives a budget of $2.2 million annually, also is responsible for 65 emergency
shelters and the state's thousands of foster and adoptive homes.

The division's 27 inspectors and 12 investigators visit 24-hour care facilities, which include wilderness programs and residential treatment
centers, every 5 to 12 months and every time a report is received related to child abuse, neglect or other violations.

The only available records from the DPRS, which run from 1998 to the present, show that at least six youths have died during or shortly after
being placed in a physical restraint, including an additional death at a facility owned by the Brown Schools.

Much of the agency's investigations are kept confidential, and the documentation released to the American-Statesman is far from complete;
often missing are dates of death, ages, circumstances and any supporting documentation for the findings.

In one instance, a letter summarizing a 2000 restraint-related death at a Brown Schools center in San Antonio was a terse four paragraphs that
gave few details. More details from that file were in an attached press release from the Brown Schools.

In it, the Brown Schools called "natural" the death of a 9-year-old boy who, according to court documents, was held to the ground until he
vomited and stopped breathing.

Independently, the Statesman has verified -- through media reports, court documents and watchdog groups -- at least 10 more juvenile deaths that occurred between 1988 and 1998 in other Texas facilities, some of which were licensed and regulated by the DPRS, including three more restraint-related deaths at facilities owned by the Brown Schools.

More deaths have been reported by various advocacy and watchdog groups, but the details of those could not be independently verified.

Previously, some restraint-related deaths were simply ruled natural and the details never passed on to any agencies. That happened in the case
of 16-year-old Dawn Renay Perry, who died in 1993 after being placed in a restraint at the Behavior Training Research center in Manvel near Houston. Last summer, after a review, the Harris County medical examiner switched the cause of death from natural to accidental. The girl's mother has since sued the facility's owners.

Current legislation aims to clean up the reporting process, as well as to standardize the rules on restraint for every facility that uses the technique.

The bill would outlaw restraints that obstruct a person's airway, impair breathing or interfere with someone's ability to communicate.

It would restrict, but not prohibit, the use of prone restraints or restraints that place a person on his or her back. It also would
establish a multi-agency committee to write new regulations governing the use of restraints and to develop a better system to collect and
analyze data related to it.

But the bill, sponsored by state Sen. Judith Zaffirini, D-Laredo, stops short of ascribing criminal penalties, something advocates have long
asked for and an oversight parents of the dead are demanding.

"This bill does nothing," said Charles Moody, who would like to see violators face felony charges. "It's a joke. All it does is create a
focus group to talk about this issue."

Or as Jerry Boswell, president of Texas chapter of the Citizens Commission on Human Rights, a mental health watchdog group, said, "It
deceives the public into thinking something meaningful has been done, and it hasn't."

Aaryce Hayes of Advocacy Inc., a federally funded nonprofit group with the mandate to review potential cases of abuse and neglect involving
people with disabilities, said the bill would at least lay the foundation for future legislation.

"It's a start," Hayes said. "If it did (have criminal penalties), we wouldn't be able to get the bill passed, just like the last two sessions."

Similar restraint bills have died in the House twice before amid opposition from some medical and psychiatric groups, as well as from
corporate lobbyists, whose ranks once included Gov. Rick Perry's chief of staff, Mike Toomey, a former lobbyist for the Brown Schools who
worked his way through college in a Waco residential treatment center for troubled youth.

Zaffirini said she would have preferred criminal penalties but that because such penalties could send more people to prison, the potential
fiscal impact in budget-cutting season would kill the bill.

"It's been controversial in the past, and I don't quite understand why," Zaffirini said. "It's confounding."

The Democrat House members' protest over redistricting last week only lessens the chances of the bill's passage.

A last-resort tool

In the world of therapy, from wilderness camps to private treatment centers, restraint is supposed to be a last-resort emergency tool for residents who pose a danger to themselves or others.

Instead, Hayes said, "What we find quite often is, it wasn't an emergency until staff intervened."

State reports show that in these facilities, the use of restraint is widespread. Records also show that restraints are used as a form of punishment, for the convenience of staff or to simply take control of a situation.

For example, at a youth ranch outside Brownwood, state documents show, children were being restrained for crying or simply for moving their
hands. At least one resident was restrained for refusing to go to school.
In another instance, a 16-year-old boy was belittled, threatened with the suspension of home visits and grabbed in the face before staff
members took him to the ground, where he died in 1999, according to a DPRS report.

The report says there is strong evidence that the boy "stopped struggling with staff -- and was largely unresponsive -- long before the
restraint was terminated."

The report also says it wasn't the first time restraints were misused at the New Horizons Ranch.

"Serious incident reports indicate that the staff sometimes used restraint

as punishment, for their convenience or when the child was not necessarily a danger to themselves or others," the state report says.

Such reasons all violate DPRS regulations but not the law. And the punishment for breaking the rules is tantamount to forcing the violators
to promise that they'll try not to do it again.

The state's December 1999 response to each of the findings at New Horizons: Correct the violations immediately.

"After that November investigation, we went out four times during the course of calendar year 2000," said Geoffrey Wool, the agency's director
of public relations. But the facility was not placed on any kind of probation.

New Horizons has not received any serious citations since at least January 2002.

When deaths occur, in Texas or elsewhere, rarely are they prosecuted. For families of the lost, civil lawsuits often are the only recourse.
But most of those get settled for confidential sums outside the courtroom and beyond public scrutiny.

In the past five years, the time span for which records are available, no restraint-related death has led to the revocation of a facility's
license in Texas. And the DPRS has levied no fines against offenders.

"What we are trying to do is work with all these providers to make sure they provide the care these kids need," Wool said. "We're not out to
hammer providers. We want to help them so they're there to help our kids."

When a facility is cited for any violation, the operators draw up a "corrective action plan." And, typically, that's it.

There's no "simple way," Wool said, to determine how many improper restraints that did not result in death were investigated or whether they led to serious injuries.

However, inspection and complaint investigations since January 2002 have recently been put on the agency's Web site and can be searched at
http://www.tdprs.state.tx.us.

An American-Statesman review of those records shows that statewide over the last 17 months, the DPRS has handed out at least 150 restraint-related citations for violations ranging from minor paperwork infractions to causing serious injury.

A 'seminal event'

Before Chase's death, On Track had never been cited for using improper restraints, although its training methods have been called into question
in prior complaints filed with the state that were later verified.

Yet after the onslaught of media attention surrounding Chase's death, state licensing investigators issued a scathing report that cited On Track for 28 violations, ranging from improperly restraining Chase as punishment and using a prohibited method of restraint to improper record keeping and numerous procedural violations.

Officials with the Brown Schools have repeatedly said the incident was handled properly.

However, former Brown Schools CEO Marguerite Sallee recognized the gravity of the situation. She told a meeting of reporters and editors at
the American-Statesman on the day the state's report was released that Chase's death could be the "seminal event that could bring the whole
company down."

Not six months later, she has left the company to become staff director for the United States Senate subcommittee on Children and Families in
Washington, a move she said was unrelated to the Chase Moody incident.

It's unclear what would've happened to the wilderness program had it remained open for business.

The company closed On Track in December after losing the lease to the 6,000-acre exotic-game ranch where the camp was located. Several months
later, it sold off all its residential treatment centers in the country, including facilities in San Marcos, Austin and San Antonio. Company
officials say the plans to sell the facilities were made before Chase's death.

A dispute over the state's findings is the company's only lingering business with the Texas agency.

That argument centers on whether the restraint used on Chase was performed the right way and for the right reasons.

In their report, state investigators contend that it was neither.

On Oct. 14, the day's activities had ended. According to Mason County Sheriff M.J. Metzger, Chase and other boys had been told to stop talking and go to sleep.

Mason County Chief Deputy Sheriff Bill Price said that according to his investigative notes, Chase wouldn't be quiet and was told to sleep
outside as punishment.

Words were exchanged. Chase, according to a police report, aimed racial slurs at the Hispanic counselors.

Brown Schools officials, without giving specifics, say Chase then became violent and lashed out at the staff, placing both himself and the others at risk.

The sheriff's investigation tells a more detailed story. According to Price, who based his comments on official statements from all those involved in the incident, Chase was arguing with one staff member, and the other two were standing a few steps away.

According to the statements, Price said, Chase walked toward the lone counselor and "kind of shoved him out of the way." The actual nature
of the physical contact, Price said, was described by different witnesses as a bump, shove or push.

"We've got different stories," Price said. "I think everybody agreed there was physical contact."

The counselor Chase confronted, along with another staff member, then placed Chase in a physical restraint referred to in the industry as the team control position, wherein staff members interlock legs with the subject, pull back the wrists and cup their hands on the person's
shoulder.

From there, all parties agree, they fell forward. Price said the third staff member then joined in the restraint.

"On all these statements here, the staff keeps asking him to comply and they would let him up, but he kept resisting," Price said, describing
the details in the affidavits.

"We have one resident saying he heard Chase saying he couldn't breathe; we've got two of them saying that."

After he was contacted by radio, it took Deputy Low about 13 minutes to wind his way back through the ranch to the campsite.

In the incident report, Low wrote that when he aimed his spotlight at the scene, he "saw three counselors sitting on the subject, lying face
down," Price said.

The Brown Schools has repeatedly denied that any pressure was placed on Chase's back.

The state's findings in the separate licensing investigation question whether the situation qualified as an emergency and accused the staff
members of taunting Chase with remarks that included, "Boy. Who you calling boy?"

In addition, the report says: * Chase was "subjected to cruel and unnecessary punishment when he was restrained for talking."

* The restraint was "inappropriately implemented, as it employed a technique that is prohibited by obstructing the airways of the child,
impairing his breathing."

* The staff "did not follow the facility's policies and procedures in handling the misbehavior of a resident, which resulted in a restraint and death of the child."

* The staff "did not document the total length of time the child was restrained."

"The bottom line: Chase Moody did not pose an emergency to himself or anybody else when he was put in this restraint," said David McLaughlin,
a lawyer working with the Cochran Firm, who is assisting high-profile lawyer Johnnie Cochran on the potential civil suit. "These three people
in the take-down . . . I'm not going to call them victims, but they were put in circumstances without the proper tools or skills to handle the
situation."

Sallee called the findings disappointing, one-sided and inaccurate.

"All they were doing was trying to protect themselves and the others,"

Sallee said of the staff members who placed Chase in the restraint. "The child was violent that night and had a history of violence."

Howard Falkenberg, a spokesman for the company, responded Thursday with this prepared statement:

"The death of a student last year in the On Track program is a tragedy that profoundly saddens us, and our sympathies remain with his family. At the same time, we know that our staff acted appropriately in very difficult circumstances. These are caring men who were devoted to
helping the young people in their charge, and they were properly trained to do their job."

An attorney's quest

The Brown Schools have been involved in four other restraint-related deaths over the past 15 years. And the company has received dozens of
improper restraint and licensing violations at its various residential treatment centers, according to an American-Statesman review of
licensing records. The last youth to die before Moody after being restrained in a Brown Schools program was 9-year-old Randy Steele, whose
death was written up in the four-paragraph memo from the DPRS.

Like many children with attention-deficit disorder, Randy was bored with school, too smart for his own good and constantly in trouble. When he was diagnosed as bipolar, his father enrolled him in short-term therapy in Las Vegas.

But Randy needed more, and Nevada doesn't offer long-term care.

The youngster was sent to the Brown Schools' San Antonio treatment center, Laurel Ridge, which was supposed to correct his hyperactivity and behavioral problems. According to court documents filed by a lawyer for the boy's mother, Randy was restrained at least 25 times in less than 28 days.

He died after the last one in February 2000, after orderlies physically restrained the boy, who had launched into a toy-tossing temper tantrum after refusing to take a bath. According to court records, the orderlies held Randy chest-down until he began to wheeze and vomit. They then turned him on his side and realized that Randy had lost his pulse.

No criminal charges were filed in the case. The DPRS did not cite Laurel Ridge for any violations. And Randy's mother never learned the details of what really happened that night.

Like other families who have lost children this way, Randy's mother, Holly, turned to the civil courts. The case was headed for a jury in
October.

"The day we were supposed to start trial, the Moody incident happened," Holly Steele said. A few months later, she settled the suit with Brown outside of court for an undisclosed amount.

The district attorney in charge of Mason County, Ron Sutton, is considering prosecution of the Brown Schools. If that happens, advocates
would consider it a legal breakthrough in restraint cases.

Sutton has said he plans to take the case to a grand jury within the next few weeks.

In the past, grand juries have been reluctant to go after staff members for their role in restraint-related deaths. For example, a grand jury earlier this year declined to indict staff workers involved in the restraint-related death of Maria Mendoza, who died at the Katy facility
Oct. 12. The medical examiner ruled the death a homicide.

Contemplating charges against a company, however, is a legal move rarely attempted in these situations. It would, on the simplest terms, require Sutton to prove a pattern of dangerous and deadly behavior that continued right up until Chase's death.

If the law were different and a restraint-related death could clearly lead to criminal penalties, that at the very least might make some of
these facilities and their staffs think twice before taking another child to the ground, advocates say.

But in Texas, as is the case throughout the country, that is unlikely to change for the time being. On the night Chase died, Charles Moody fell asleep on the couch toward the end of the Monday night football game.

The phone rang shortly after midnight.

Since, Charles Moody has been searching for justice somewhere, somehow.

He's held meetings with prosecutors and legislators. He's even gone as far as hiring Cochran, the same lawyer who successfully defended O.J. Simpson, to potentially take civil action against the Brown Schools. And he's shared tearful embraces with other parents, such as Holly Steele, who have been through all this already.

What Moody knows all too well, though, is that this crusade will not bring Chase back.

"The main thing I want," Moody said at his Dallas law firm shortlyafter his son's death, "I can't have."

[email protected]; 445-1712