Author Topic: A history of abuse and what Joy Margolis had to say  (Read 1759 times)

Offline `

• View Profile
A history of abuse and what Joy Margolis had to say
« on: March 16, 2005, 02:28:00 PM »
[note type in bold regarding unreported suicide attempts]

Times Publishing Company  
St. Petersburg Times (Florida)

View Related Topics

July 31, 1991, Wednesday, City Edition

SECTION: NATIONAL; Pg. 1A

LENGTH: 873 words

HEADLINE: States take hard look at Straight

BYLINE: DAVID BARSTOW

BODY:
 In Massachusetts, authorities say a youth is punched in the face by a staff member of Straight Inc., the controversial drug treatment program based in St. Petersburg.

In Virginia, a 13-year-old Straight client is molested by a 19-year-old client, but the incident is never reported to state officials.

In California, state officials refuse to license Straight, citing evidence of "unusual punishment, infliction of pain and humiliation."

These are troubled times for Straight, which in happier days won praise from Nancy Reagan and President Bush as one of the nation's best drug treatment programs for adolescents.

Under intense criticism from state regulators, Straight pulled out of California last year and Virginia this week. In March, Straight's treatment program in Texas was placed on probation by a major accreditation commission. Last month, Massachusetts regulators refused to renew Straight's foster care license, which could make it difficult for Straight to continue business there because the program requires clients to live with "host families" while undergoing treatment.

"We had very severe concerns about what was going on there," said Betty McClure of Massachusetts' state Office for Children. She cited the case of a child with scoliosis curvature of the spine who was forced to sit on a floor for 10 hours and was physically restrained by other children.

Straight officials deny the allegations of mistreatment.

"We don't abuse kids," said Joy Margolis, Straight's spokeswoman in St. Petersburg. "If we abused kids do you think parents would want to have their kids here?"

Margolis said two-thirds of the children who complete Straight's long-term therapy remain drug-free for at least two years.

"We do a lot of good," she said. "We save lives. We reunite families."

Straight currently operates treatment programs in five states Texas, Michigan, Florida, Georgia and Massachusetts. Straight officials claim to have treated more than 50,000 family members since the drug treatment program was established in 1976.

Straight offers an intense five-phase program in which clients must adhere to strict rules: No living at home. No TV. No school. Limited contact with anyone outside the program. Gradually, as progress is made, the restrictions are relaxed and teen-agers are l l returned to families and schools.

Over time, Straight has refined and revised many of its more controversial methods, Margolis said. Now only trained counselors are allowed to restrain clients who become violent. "Oldcomers" no longer lead "newcomers" around by their belts. They link arms instead. "It's a bonding technique," Margolis explained.

One state where regulators are pleased with Straight's recent performance is Florida. Straight has programs in Orlando and St. Petersburg.

In 1989, the state Department of Health and Rehabilitative Services (HRS) threatened to yank Straight's license unless it fixed several problems. For example, HRS officials were concerned by accounts that clients were allowed to restrain other clients.

Straight corrected the problems, HRS officials say.

"They're in good standing with our department here," said Bob Holm, HRS' substance abuse coordinator for Pinellas County. "They've done well."

Officials in other states tell different stories.

Jacqueline M. Ennis supervises licensing for Virginia's Department of Mental Health, Mental Retardation and Substance Abuse Services. She said that in July 1990 Straight officials signed a consent agreement promising to correct several problems. But when Virginia officials inspected Straight six months later, they found 76 violations, she said.

Some violations were minor, such as paper work errors, she said. Others were potentially life threatening. Several children attempted suicide while staying with host families, but the attempts were not reported and the children were not treated, Ennis said. And Virginia officials learned that a Straight client had molested a younger client from news reports.

Ennis also criticized Straight for persisting with "dehumanizing" treatment techniques. Some teen-age clients were forced to reveal their sexual fantasies during group sessions, she said. Others were subjected to what she called "spit therapy," where children would spit on each other to reduce their egos.

Straight spokeswoman Margolis said Virginia officials overreacted to "unsubstantiated claims" made by disgruntled clients. She said Straight complied with all Virginia regulations and had been lauded by state officials for making improvement.

So Virginia's decision in January not to renew Straight's license was a surprise, Margolis said. Rather than fight Virginia regulators, Straight officials decided this week to move the program about 30 miles north, to Columbia, Md.

Ennis said Maryland regulators have been warned. "I think the folks in Maryland know what they're getting," she said.

LOAD-DATE: November 12, 1992
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline PerfectStraightling

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2005, 05:27:00 PM »
On 2005-03-16 11:28:00, formerly known as wrote:

""Oldcomers" no longer lead "newcomers" around by their belts. They link arms instead. "It's a bonding technique," Margolis explained.
"

I'm sure this was how they decided to make the transition from humiliation and control to having a bonding experience. :roll: [ This Message was edited by: JMA on 2005-03-16 14:28 ]

Offline `

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2005, 08:37:00 AM »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2005, 01:39:00 PM »
Actually I was in the program during this time and we still held people captive by their pants and never once did staff restain a client. Another load of crap from a Straight spokesperson...isn't that surprising? :roll:

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2005, 01:52:00 PM »

"We don't abuse kids," said Joy Margolis, Straight's spokeswoman in St. Petersburg. "If we abused kids do you think parents would want to have their kids here?"

Sure.  A lot of them knew what was going on (being host parents and all) and thought it was great that the no-good druggie kids were finally being suffficiently punished for their rebellious teenage behavior.  Anyone ever thought of suing host families?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2005, 04:52:00 PM »
Did I ever mention the time I fucked Miller's wife, Ruth Ann? I was on 3rd phase and going to school at Mirror Lake in St. Petersburg, when one day, after school, I heard an older female voice call from behind me. I turned around, surprised to see Ruth Ann Newton.
"I'm giving you a ride today", she said, flashing that sexy smile of hers and indicating a large Cadillac with tinted windows.
"Thanks Mrs. Newton" I replied, holding her door open for her. I went around to the other side of the car and was shocked to see a bottle of Cutty Sark and a couple of shot glasses in plain sight, right next to a tray of sensimilla and a mirror with two fat, white rails laid out on it.
"Don't be nervous" she said, "we'll just have a little party here. It'll be our little secret." She uncapped the Cutty and took a long pull, then passed me the bottle. I tilted my head back for a long draw of scotch, and heard her snorting up a line as I felt her hand groping at my cock and balls. I took another deep draw from the bottle as fear, revulsion ,and a sick sense of desire filled me.
"It's OK" she said, "here--do a line"
I took the mirror she handed me, and the rolled up $100 bill, and bent down to see my wild-eyed reflection in the mirror as she unzipped my pants.
"I've never done coke before" I said, kind of nervously.
"Oh, that's not cocaine, silly boy, that's PCP. It's very decadent. Miller and I like to do it when we watch bestiality movies we made on our honeymoon".
"Oh", I said, feeling my dick reluctantly getting hard to her touch and a buzzing noise in my head.
"Why don't you roll us a joint?" she said, right before she bent down and swollowed my engorged prick and began skillfully fellating me.
"Sure" I said, feeling hazy yet strangely aroused as she continued inhaling my shaft.
Suddenly she stopped sucking, sat up, and told me to light up the joint I had barely been able to roll. As I lit it up and took a deep toke into my lungs, she pulled down the black polyester slacks she was wearing to reveal that she had no panties on. She took the joint from me, hit it a couple of times, thenthrew herself over the seat, with her ass in the air.
"FUCK ME ! FUCK ME IN THE ASS LIKE THE SLUT I AM!" she screamed, and I plunged my drug-crazed dick into her bung hole, feeling her convulse with joy as I buried my dick in her ass.
She passed the joint back to me and I hit it again and again as I continued probing her anus with my johnson. Sweat poured down my face and I continued to pump her butt as I wiped the perspiration of my forehead. She began screaming again, making wild animal noises, and just as I was about to cum, she yelled out "Look over your shoulder RIGHT NOW!"
Startled, I did as she said, and what I saw when I did was a sight I will never foget. Over my shoulder I saw Miller Newton, dressed in a torn Girl Scout uniform, furiously masturbating himself as he watched us. Then he pulled out a bible, and opened it up so he could ejaculate within it's pages.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2005, 06:13:00 PM »
Margolis is a cunt

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2005, 02:00:00 PM »
On 2005-06-02 15:13:00, Anonymous wrote:

"Margolis is a cunt"

I concur.  Saw the bitch on some news show gloating over the Supreme Court decision regarding med mary jane.  What a fucking putrid pile of slime.  She and the rest of those DFAF types should be injected with AIDS and hep C, then left to wallow in their own misery, occasionally being kicked in the kidneys by a pot-smoking straight survivor.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2005, 02:00:00 PM »
sorry--I'm confusing her with Calvina Fey---they should be subjected to the same stuff, though.

Offline Dr Fucktard

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2005, 10:31:00 AM »
Eat shit, druggie...

Wonderful ladies, both of them.

Offline Nihilanthic

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2006, 08:07:00 PM »
On 2005-03-16 14:27:00, Perfect Straightling wrote:

"

""Oldcomers" no longer lead "newcomers" around by their belts. They link arms instead. "It's a bonding technique," Margolis explained.

"

I'm sure this was how they decided to make the transition from humiliation and control to having a bonding experience. :roll: [ This Message was edited by: JMA on 2005-03-16 14:28 ]"

Oh come on now, humiliation, power exchange, and terror are commonly used methods for bonding in BDSM couples and clubs.  :lol:

Of course it works! The issue is if its ok to mindfuck kids with that goal in mind or not.

At present there is not a single credible established religion in the world.
--George Bernard Shaw, Irish-born English playwright

DannyB on the internet:I CALLED A LAWYER TODAY TO SEE IF I COULD SUE YOUR ASSES FOR DOING THIS BUT THAT WAS NOT POSSIBLE.

CCMGirl on program restraints: "DON\'T TAZ ME BRO!!!!!"

TheWho on program survivors: "From where I sit I see all the anit-program[sic] people doing all the complaining and crying."

Offline Rock&Roll Nigger

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2006, 08:13:00 PM »
On 2006-02-12 17:07:00, Nihilanthic wrote:

"

On 2005-03-16 14:27:00, Perfect Straightling wrote:

"

"

I'm sure this was how they decided to make the transition from humiliation and control to having a bonding experience. :roll: [ This Message was edited by: JMA on 2005-03-16 14:28 ]"

Oh come on now, humiliation, power exchange, and terror are commonly used methods for bonding in BDSM couples and clubs.  :lol:

Of course it works! The issue is if its ok to mindfuck kids with that goal in mind or not.

At present there is not a single credible established religion in the world.
--George Bernard Shaw, Irish-born English playwright

"

Sounds like you speak from experience.  Do tell.
aby was a black sheep. Baby was a whore.
You know she got big. Well, she\'s gonna get bigger.
Baby got a hand; got a finger on the trigger.
Baby, baby, baby is a rock-and-roll nigger.