Author Topic: St. Joseph Article - March 14th  (Read 3845 times)

Offline tlcrescue

• View Profile
St. Joseph Article - March 14th
« on: March 14, 2005, 12:22:00 PM »
Does anyone have access to the St. Joseph News paper online?  There is an article in today's paper titled "Families Fighting to Close Thayer" with a snippit that says:

Parents of two teens who attended Thayer Learning Center are concerned about the treatment the youths have received there. Another couple, Gracia and Victor Reyes, have filed a wrongful death lawsuit against the center after their son died less than a week after enrolling.

Mothers of two former students at the Thayer Learning Center near Kidder, Mo., vow to support shutting down the military-style boot camp for teen-agers.

I can't access the remainder of the article because I don't have a subscription.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline ExSgtRocha

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2005, 07:54:00 PM »
FAMILIES FIGHTING TO CLOSE THAYER
By Ray Scherer
[email protected]
Mothers of two former students at the Thayer Learning Center near Kidder, Mo., vow to support shutting down the military-style boot camp for teenagers.
Thayer has been at the center of controversy since opening its doors in 2002.  A California couple, Gracia and Victor Reyes, filed a wrongful death lawsuit in Buchanan County in early February, claiming their son, 15-year-old Roberto Reyes, didn't receive medical care in a timely manner last fall.  Roberto died less than a week after enrolling at Thayer, with a state child fatality review panel initially ruling his death resulted from a brown recluse spider bite.  State officials continue to investigate circumstances around Roberto's death, with a report by a state legal team in the Missouri Department of Social Services still pending.  
Thayer officials said they6 have been cooperating with the state in the investigations, but have so far declined to speak about the Reyes' lawsuit or the complaints.
The fact that someone died while in the facility's care has served to deepen the cause of parents who assert their children were mistreated at Thayer.
Many people around the country, such as Joanie Nations of Henderson, Texas, decided the school was the last resort to instill discipline in her 13-year-old son, Anthony.  She enrolled him in Thayer last summer to the tune of $47,000.00 in tuition.  
"I thought I was seeing it all, but it turned out I proably wasn't," Ms. NAtions said of her personal research into the center's offerings.  "I knew it would be tough, because it was a boot camp.  I didn't do it for anything but love for him.  Now there's a dead child.
A red flag came up when a Thayer official told her Anthony was suffering from what was a labeled a minor ear infection.  But the supervisor failed to follow up on informing Ms. Nations of the treatment.  
She received a phone call later from St. Joseph resident Tim Rocha, who was working at the center at the time. Mr Rocha had earlier told the News-Press the story of his own brief work experience at Thayer.
"You need to go and get your boy," she recalled Mr. Rocha saying in the conversation.
initially disbelieving, she eventually convinced herslef to make the 11-hour drive to rural Caldwell County to bring Anthony back home.
On the return trip to Texas, he told her the ear infection was more serious than what she was told, and that officials didn't remove him from the facility's daily regimen of exercise.
"He never got a moment to rest," Ms. Nations said.
The bloddy drainage from his ear soaked his pillow, and he was kept from using the restroom on other than assigned breaks despite drinking a large amount of water as ordered by camp leaders.
Ms. Nations said she's convinced that Thayer has other motives besides rehabilitating troubled youths.  She is in the process os securing a publisher for a book she wrote on her son's experience and to express concern for studetns' welfare.
"They need to be shut and the people that run it need to be jailed," she said.  "They're in it for the money."
Another mother, Karen VanZant of Seattle, also took it upon herself to learn more about Thayer after her ex-husband told her that he had enrolled their 16-year-old daughter Sarah, in the camp last summer.
"The more poking around I did, the more panic-stricken I got," Ms. VanZant said.  "I was so frightened for my daughter that I asked my mother to drive down there.  She was held at bay by a security guard."
When Ms. VanZant finally received a phone call from Sarah, months after not talking with her, the reports on Thayer were glowing.  Sarah called Thayer co-founder Willa Bundy "the most wonderful person in the world," she said in recalling her daughter's words.
Willa Bundy owns the school along with her husband, John.
A former Thayer teacher, Connie Szczepanik of St. Joseph, said she witnessed abuse at the center last spring and was fired after receiving notes from a student that were to be passed on to the family.  She hopes that eh facility will be forced to shut down and that officials face prosecution.
"It was misreprentsented to me completely," Ms. Szczepanik said of her before-and-after impressions of Thayer.  "It was extremely negative.  That poor young man had to die to bring it (abuses) to the surface.  I hope somebody gets something done, finally."

Courtesy of Tim Rocha

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2005, 08:36:00 PM »
good job timothy

*as a reward, anonymous blowjobs ExSgtRocha*

:smile:

Offline ExSgtRocha

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2005, 10:49:00 PM »
This is a subject matter which I take very seriously.  We can do without your lewd and crude comments.

Offline terrified_mother

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2005, 12:29:00 AM »
Thank you for posting the article Tim.  But, more than that, thank you for caring for our children.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2005, 12:29:00 AM »
The article hardly touches the reality of it all. There are a bunch of us with children who were abused at Thayer at least as bad as these kids who are written about with the exception of Roberto Reyes, bless his soul who lost his life. Any little bit of publicity that we can get is great but please don't forget the five kids who had to drag Roberto to the latrine and hose him down. Yhat's mental abuse big time. And the child who had his foot broken and the girl who had to brush her teeth for four hours and all the kids who had to get up in the middle of the night and roll around in mud and exercise for hours an then go back to bed dirty. I could go on and on but you get my point. My daughter Julia has a permanent shoulder injury that can never be fixed not even with surgery. It's a torn muscle and the doctor says with luck over the years it will heal its self. Oh yeah! Let's not forget her injured knee but that's not to big of a deal if you consider that pretty much every kid who goes through boot camp will have an injured knee. How could they not with the type of exercise they are forced to do and their bodies are still growing. The exercise alone is abuse on their growing bodies causing many children permanent injuries. I talked to one girl who can't play basketball anymore due to bootcamp and she was only in bootcamp for 2 months. Basketball was going to help her through college, scholarship I guess. Well I hope there's a reporter out there who's interested in all of our stories and our childrens stories. Please contact me at [email protected]. Thank You Pia

Offline Mrs. Doubtfire

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2005, 09:50:00 PM »
Tim:  
Consider the source - the person who wrote the lewd comment did not have the nerve to sign their name???

You are the hope of these children; some one with the IQ of room temperature certainly doesn't define who you are or what you do. Besides, we all know who it is - don't we?

Without you, Pia, Julia, et. al. these children wouldn't have a safe place to fall. Don't give up on them.