Author Topic: Death of Jack S. Johnson  (Read 2501 times)

Offline Mrs. Doubtfire

• View Profile
Death of Jack S. Johnson
« on: March 09, 2005, 07:17:00 PM »
The following obituary was published in the Stuart (Florida) News today.  I thought it incrediby sad that the person who wrote the obituary for Jack Johnson proudly listed that he was a graduate of Provo Canyon School.

For those of you who knew him, my condolences. Sadly, there was no mention of how he died.

The following is what was printed.

"Jack S. Johnson, 19, died March 6,2005 at his home.

He was born in New York City and lived here for the past two years, coming from Katonah, N.Y.

He was a graduate of Provo Canyon School in Utah and a student at Indian River Community College. He enjoyed football and his friends.

Survivors included his mother, Teddy Wainwright of Stuart; father Richard Johnson of New York City, brother, Whitney Rutherfurd of Hyde Park, Vt; and sister Annan Rutherfurd of Wheelock, Vt.

Services: Visitations will be from 2 to 3 pm March 10, followed by a celebration of his life in the chapel of Martin Funeral Home & Crematory, Stuart. The Reverend L. C. Campbell, Jr. will officiate."
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Death of Jack S. Johnson
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2005, 09:03:00 PM »
I wonder if it was from suicide. There is a high suicide rate from survivors of these programs due to the abuse they endure and witness - most have severe post-traumatic stress syndrome.  So sad....

Offline Mrs. Doubtfire

• View Profile
Death of Jack S. Johnson
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2005, 10:04:00 PM »
I don't know, but his age was stated at 19 which means his tenure at Provo could not have been long ago.

I did not know the boy, but thought I would post it on the chance he had some friends from Provo who would like to know what happened.

To lose a child is tragic; to lose a child who was incarcerated in a WWASP dungeon is criminal.

May his journey with the angels be sweeter than his hell at Provo.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Death of Jack S. Johnson
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2005, 06:56:00 PM »
too sad  :cry:

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Death of Jack S. Johnson
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2005, 08:38:00 PM »
it was actually a drug overdose/asphixyation.

Offline cherish wisdom

• View Profile
Death of Jack S. Johnson
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2005, 10:47:00 PM »
People suffering from Post Traumatic Stress Syndrom often dull the pain by self medicating with drugs and or alcohol. PCS is a very brutal behavior modification program that has left hundreds of young adults with scars that wont heal. Many survivors of PCS claim to have nightmares and panic attacks as a result of the maltreatment and abuse they either witnessed or experienced first hand.  This is a very sad ending, but unfortunately this happens to often to those who suffer the endless nightmare that is Provo Canyon School.

Sacred cows make the best hamburger.  
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/external-search?tag=circlofmiamithem&keyword=mark+twain&mode=books' target='_new'> Mark Twain

If you lack wisdom ask of God and it shall be given to you.\"

Offline Mrs. Doubtfire

• View Profile
Death of Jack S. Johnson
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2005, 02:17:00 PM »
I just hope other people consider what could happen to their children after they have been "treated" at these facilities.

Sadly, this young man apparently was not able to escape the nightmares while alive.

What still astonishes me is that his family posted that he attended "PCS" as if it were something to be celebrated, akin to if he had graduated from an Ivy League University. The mention of PCS is what caught my eye initally.

I posted his obituary in the event he had people who still cared about him and might be looking for him.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Death of Jack S. Johnson
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2005, 12:33:00 PM »
Provo exists because of the failures of society. Jack was a cherished son, an only son, not a throw-a-way child. Society does not know how to deal with pain, with "different". Society only knows how to medicate feelings with more material stuff. And so, when the public schools, and the private schools, and the institutions gave up on Jack, only Provo offered his parents hope. We will never know what happened there. But we do know what happened in his "loving" community when he needed help... NOTHING.

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
Death of Jack S. Johnson
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2005, 01:00:00 AM »
Sounds like you knew the kid. Let me say that you have my deepest condolances.

But this topic is well worth talking about. Parents and families often don't understand the risk they take when they send a kid to one of these places. The impact can be profound!

And stories like these seem to be a lot more common than the glowing success stories just about anywhere you look, except for industry advertising. The next generation of potential program kids deserve to have the other side of the story available to their parents.

What are politicians going to tell people when the Constitution is gone and we still have a drug problem?
--William Simpson

10/80 - 10/82
Anonymity Anonymous
Some days, it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps.
"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline Fletcher

• View Profile
Re: Death of Jack S. Johnson
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2011, 06:21:21 PM »
I was a close friend of Jack. He was an amazing person. He is resting in paradise now. I miss him.