Author Topic: It is ok to relapse  (Read 25950 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
It is ok to relapse
« Reply #30 on: February 27, 2005, 02:01:00 PM »
On 2005-02-27 10:44:00, Anonymous wrote:

"

On 2005-02-27 09:32:00, Anonymous wrote:

"All that bothers me is how sad you are Ginger. Every vitriolic post of yours shows that so clearly. As far as traditional therapy for treating addiction, you surely must know that individual therapy, based on Freudian THEORY is sadly lacking. Psychology is an ever evolving, extremely young "science". And it is usually conditional on sinking into and trying to understand the neuroses instead of learning to get past it and be successful and thrive. Anyone who hangs onto their bitterness and pain, however justified by going through a place like Straight or KIDS, is in need of compassion and caring to get past it and move on, hopefully to help others. "

"

Oops, I posted that while I had to rush to the bathroom to throw up, Sorry.
 ::bwahaha::
I feel much better now, thank-you.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
It is ok to relapse
« Reply #31 on: February 28, 2005, 03:06:00 PM »
On 2005-02-27 10:51:00, Anonymous wrote:

"

"All that bothers me is how sad you are Ginger. Every vitriolic post of yours shows that so clearly. As far as traditional therapy for treating addiction, you surely must know that individual therapy, based on Freudian THEORY is sadly lacking. Psychology is an ever evolving, extremely young "science". And it is usually conditional on sinking into and trying to understand the neuroses instead of learning to get past it and be successful and thrive. Anyone who hangs onto their bitterness and pain, however justified by going through a place like Straight or KIDS, is in need of compassion and caring to get past it and move on, hopefully to help others. "

::puke::

Oh, gawd, spare us, spare us

::puke::

Freudian Theory?  Where the hell did THAT come from?

:idea: "

On 2005-02-28 10:48:00, Antigen wrote:

"Yeah, it's not a bad idea to seek council informally from friends. But bear in mind that the 'tie that binds' us is that we were all exposed to the same toxic cult. Some of us are even more fucked up than most shrinks, and in my view that's sayin' something. But I'd be happy to get to know you and if there's something I can say help, well all the better. But, in all honesty, either way it's sort of a crap shoot.

Distrust all in whom the impulse to punish is powerful.
--Friedrich Nietzsche

"

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
It is ok to relapse
« Reply #32 on: February 28, 2005, 04:42:00 PM »

All that bothers me is how sad you are Ginger.

Good news! Your troubles are over! I'm not sad at all. That's right! Even though I never graduated, even though I reject the Program philosophy, I have not been met w/ a life of missery and failure. In fact, I've got just about everything I ever wanted. Thanks for your concern and all, but I really don't need it.

Properly read, the Bible is the most potent force for atheism ever conceived.
--Isaac Asimov, Russian-born American author

"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline Rachael

• View Profile
It is ok to relapse
« Reply #33 on: March 02, 2005, 01:10:00 AM »

"As far as traditional therapy for treating addiction, you surely must know that individual therapy, based on Freudian THEORY is sadly lacking. "

Oh dear "Higher Power of my choosing", please tell me that this evidently misguided soul doesn't actually believe what he just wrote. Does he truly think that the concept of individual therapy was only developed during the time of Freud? He must be joking, surely.
Justice, Justice shall you pursue.

Deuteronomy 16:20

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
It is ok to relapse
« Reply #34 on: March 02, 2005, 10:33:00 AM »
Sadly, he probably believes it. Sadder still? He probably doesn't even know that that same bogus rant goes all the way back to Art Barker's Seed and even Chuck Deiderich's Synanon.

But Vause said it, he believes it, that settles it!

If they can get you to ask the wrong questions they don't have to worry about the answers

--Thomas Pynchon, Gravity's Rainbow (Proverbs for Paranoids)

"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
It is ok to relapse
« Reply #35 on: March 02, 2005, 05:28:00 PM »
On 2005-03-01 22:10:00, Rachael wrote:

"

"As far as traditional therapy for treating addiction, you surely must know that individual therapy, based on Freudian THEORY is sadly lacking. "

Oh dear "Higher Power of my choosing", please tell me that this evidently misguided soul doesn't actually believe what he just wrote. Does he truly think that the concept of individual therapy was only developed during the time of Freud? He must be joking, surely."

Rachael, my mother, father and stepfather are all registered psychologists in Alberta. I have a pretty good idea about the concept of individual therapy. I studied psych at university. I have also studied sociology and anthropology. I was simply pointing out that most forms of modern therapy evolved in the last century and a half, based on theory, and in very real terms have taken the spiritual aspect out of the teachings of early pioneers like Jung and Freud. As such, people languish for years and even decades excavating painful memories and never learning tools to cope with life. and when it comes to treating addiction in young people, individual therapy, usually conducted by a therapist who knows very little about addiction, and is seen as just another authority, it is not only useless much of the time, but dangerous. Thanks for encouraging me to expand on my first post, it was lacking in clarity.

Offline Hamiltonf

• View Profile
It is ok to relapse
« Reply #36 on: March 02, 2005, 06:51:00 PM »
On 2005-03-02 14:28:00, Anonymous wrote:

"

"

Oh dear "Higher Power of my choosing", please tell me that this evidently misguided soul doesn't actually believe what he just wrote. Does he truly think that the concept of individual therapy was only developed during the time of Freud? He must be joking, surely."

Rachael, my mother, father and stepfather are all registered psychologists in Alberta. I have a pretty good idea about the concept of individual therapy. I studied psych at university. I have also studied sociology and anthropology. I was simply pointing out that most forms of modern therapy evolved in the last century and a half, based on theory, and in very real terms have taken the spiritual aspect out of the teachings of early pioneers like Jung and Freud. As such, people languish for years and even decades excavating painful memories and never learning tools to cope with life. and when it comes to treating addiction in young people, individual therapy, usually conducted by a therapist who knows very little about addiction, and is seen as just another authority, it is not only useless much of the time, but dangerous. Thanks for encouraging me to expand on my first post, it was lacking in clarity."

Unfortunately,  only a portion of Psychologists have a thorough, and I mean thorough, understanding of psychopharmacology, which is what you are dealing with when your talking about addiction.    It's useful in checking the credentials of psychologists to see how much of a basis they have in the hard science of the brain which is to be found more in the B.Sc stream than the B.Ed or B.A stream at the undergraduate level.  
This "anonymous" writer, of course, can say anything he wants without anybody being able to check out its veracity. But in any event he betrays considerable ignorance when he assumes that we are talking about people in AARC having been diagnosed as "addicts".  
Perhaps he should read PIHKAL by Alexander Shulgin and the many excellent tomes on the use of entheogens if he wants to talk about the spiritual.  Again, with his other soft science background of sociology I doubt if he would take anything but a moralistic view on anything critics of AARC would post here.  Moreover, AARC like all the AA & NA or 12 step programs are most unreliable in the statistics they quote, because they are very selective.  Oh, sure, their "successful" graduates  can say, "well it worked for me" but really, you don't see the control group, the 90% who never went to AARC, survived and "succeeded" in life.  
Dr Kalant, probably one of the world's leading experts on drugs who is often trotted out by the Crown in drug prosecutions freely admits that the  types of programs that make these claims of success are very skewed and selective.  "self-slective" in fact, and not subject to peer review.  So... our anonymous AARC supporter friend can't produce any peer reviewed research anywhere that supports AARC's fantastic claims, and that really causes me to doubt the credentials of his relatives that  he keeps bringing up, but never disclosing in private messages though repeatedly promising to do so.  This guy and his arguments are highly suspect, as I'm sure you already realised, Rachael.              

[ This Message was edited by: Hamiltonf on 2005-03-02 16:16 ]
uote of the Year
The Bush administration has succeeded in making the United States one of the most feared and hated countries in the world. The talent of these guys is unbelievable. They have even succeeded at alienating Canada. I mean, that takes ge

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
It is ok to relapse
« Reply #37 on: March 02, 2005, 10:31:00 PM »
On 2005-03-02 15:51:00, Hamiltonf wrote:

"

On 2005-03-02 14:28:00, Anonymous wrote:

"

"

Rachael, my mother, father and stepfather are all registered psychologists in Alberta. I have a pretty good idea about the concept of individual therapy. I studied psych at university. I have also studied sociology and anthropology. I was simply pointing out that most forms of modern therapy evolved in the last century and a half, based on theory, and in very real terms have taken the spiritual aspect out of the teachings of early pioneers like Jung and Freud. As such, people languish for years and even decades excavating painful memories and never learning tools to cope with life. and when it comes to treating addiction in young people, individual therapy, usually conducted by a therapist who knows very little about addiction, and is seen as just another authority, it is not only useless much of the time, but dangerous. Thanks for encouraging me to expand on my first post, it was lacking in clarity."

Unfortunately,  only a portion of Psychologists have a thorough, and I mean thorough, understanding of psychopharmacology, which is what you are dealing with when your talking about addiction.    It's useful in checking the credentials of psychologists to see how much of a basis they have in the hard science of the brain which is to be found more in the B.Sc stream than the B.Ed or B.A stream at the undergraduate level.  

This "anonymous" writer, of course, can say anything he wants without anybody being able to check out its veracity. But in any event he betrays considerable ignorance when he assumes that we are talking about people in AARC having been diagnosed as "addicts".  

Perhaps he should read PIHKAL by Alexander Shulgin and the many excellent tomes on the use of entheogens if he wants to talk about the spiritual.  Again, with his other soft science background of sociology I doubt if he would take anything but a moralistic view on anything critics of AARC would post here.  Moreover, AARC like all the AA & NA or 12 step programs are most unreliable in the statistics they quote, because they are very selective.  Oh, sure, their "successful" graduates  can say, "well it worked for me" but really, you don't see the control group, the 90% who never went to AARC, survived and "succeeded" in life.  

Dr Kalant, probably one of the world's leading experts on drugs who is often trotted out by the Crown in drug prosecutions freely admits that the  types of programs that make these claims of success are very skewed and selective.  "self-slective" in fact, and not subject to peer review.  So... our anonymous AARC supporter friend can't produce any peer reviewed research anywhere that supports AARC's fantastic claims, and that really causes me to doubt the credentials of his relatives that  he keeps bringing up, but never disclosing in private messages though repeatedly promising to do so.  This guy and his arguments are highly suspect, as I'm sure you already realised, Rachael.              

[ This Message was edited by: Hamiltonf on 2005-03-02 16:16 ]"

Sad that my reply gets deleted.....

Offline Hamiltonf

• View Profile
It is ok to relapse
« Reply #38 on: March 03, 2005, 12:02:00 AM »
Anon is clearly a dissembler.
uote of the Year
The Bush administration has succeeded in making the United States one of the most feared and hated countries in the world. The talent of these guys is unbelievable. They have even succeeded at alienating Canada. I mean, that takes ge

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
It is ok to relapse
« Reply #39 on: March 03, 2005, 12:07:00 AM »
Or a Sembler

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
It is ok to relapse
« Reply #40 on: March 03, 2005, 12:07:00 AM »
And a liar