Author Topic: Former staff forgivable??  (Read 14618 times)

Offline ladyjerrico

• View Profile
Former staff forgivable??
« Reply #60 on: October 22, 2002, 06:33:00 PM »
Quddus, you are one of the few and rare staff that I recall in Michigan that was compassionate. As I think more and more about your name, I do remember more and more about you and your being on staff.

There were many raps you lead that you did not veer in the direction of humiliation, yelling or make someone feel like crap. As I recall you were a gentle person and someone with a sincere and forgiving heart.

I'm not sure how you accomplished that when a few other staff memebers (not to mention names) were unlike that.

I have had much time to look back on this and you as well, now that I recall you were not one of the people I remember that were harsh on others. :smile:
Thank you for the things you've done to try to go above all others and not give in.

[ This Message was edited by: ladyjerrico on 2002-10-22 15:35 ]
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
usan Minns

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 29, 2002, 11:03:00 PM »
I didn't know how to deal with the anger and hurt, so I avoided it until I forgot.  Then this site. Does that mean I'm asleep?
TM
Bill I remember you, glad you're still around

Offline Tampa survivor

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 29, 2002, 11:28:00 PM »
Thanks.  I rather glad and amazed that I'm still around too!
  Are you from my atlanta or St Pete days?  Glad your here now.  Take the banter between people lightly...the best stuff is in the old posts where scrolling through topics made my "sleepiness" fall away.
Bill
Bill H
St Pete & Atlanta, never surrendered!
12/80-12/82

Offline the other anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 31, 2002, 12:26:00 AM »
That's because the federal government is putting more aggression stuff in the water supply to get the nation pumped for war.

Offline Sophie

• View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 21, 2003, 10:01:00 PM »
Sorry this is so late.  That is correct!  We were told not to read newspaper articles about straight even after second phase.

Offline Froderik

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 21, 2003, 10:19:00 PM »
Man, talk about raising the dead...this thread is older than dirt.  :eek:

Offline SilmarilOne

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 22, 2003, 01:12:00 AM »
I'm ashamed to say I went on staff partly as a way to escape the hell of being a phaser more quickly.  I was recruited and very afraid to say no, as well.  I quickly learned it wasn't better, only a little different. The humiliation, abuse, fear, etc, happened in the staff offices then I had to go out and pretend to have it together OR ELSE.  I used to get confronted by senior staff constantly for not being tough enough, confronting people, etc.  I just wasnt' good at that stuff.  I got put in straight at age 13 and abandoned there by my parents, who left the country.  I'm not sure, but possibly being one of the youngest there had some significance, I dunno.  It was hell from start to finish and everything I did was out of fear.

-thomas-
o trees have been harmed in the sending of this message.  However, several thousand electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Offline mithygato

• View Profile
    • http://mithygato@aol.com
« Reply #67 on: October 22, 2003, 02:59:00 AM »
quddas,

we all vent here in our own ways.
I have always personally felt that this is a place for people who suffered there to try talk with others who understand, and hopefully get the M.I.'s flowing (sorry, couldn't help myself).
Seriously though, most come here just to talk about common experiences we shared, how we have fought (or not) through them, and how our lives are today.
Just please understand that alot of us are still suffering even 20 years later, no one we know around us physically has a clue, and alot of us live in alot of pain and are misunderstood.
We should not be told to just get over it - it's not that easy . . .

Mithy
The way in which a man accepts his fate and all the suffering it entails, the way in which he takes up his cross, gives him ample opportunity-even under the most difficult cirumstances-to add deeper meaning to his life.  It may remain brave, dignified an

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
« Reply #68 on: October 22, 2003, 03:14:00 AM »
I would have done the same, I'm sure. I never wanted to be on trainee. But I din't want to get set back for having a bad attitude about the program if I said no. Did anyone ever say no? I doubt it. It was an offer you couldn't refuse.

Did you ever crib from other trainees in the obs book? I did. Wtf was I supposed to write about people, anyway? I was in school on the weekdays most of the day, off was it 4 days a week? I don't think I ever sent up a coc on anyone for anything the whole time. Now I had to dream something up? Sure, you could write positive stuff, but that was risky. What if staff was about to start them over or something? And you couldn't write only positive stuff, that might get you in trouble too.

The whole thing was a nightmare.

As your attorney, it is my duty to inform you that it is not important that you understand what I'm doing or why you're paying me so much money.  What's important is that you continue to do so.
--Hunter S. Thompson's Samoan Attorney

"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline Don Smith

• View Profile
    • http://straightincalumni.com
« Reply #69 on: October 22, 2003, 07:37:00 AM »
got put in straight at age 13 and abandoned there by my parents, who left the country. I'm not sure, but possibly being one of the youngest there had some significance, I dunno. It was hell from start to finish and everything I did was out of fear.

I had forgotten about this, but reading the above statement made me remember it.  It seemed that some people were choosen to be Staff members because of the number of drugs they did (Dave M. shot up drugs and was considered one of the worst druggies) Some because they were in prison before coming in. (I won't mention anyone specific but I knew a Senior who did time in prison before coming in.) And others because of the drastic changes they made in their lives after coming in (like Andy S.)

Just a thought

Don
t\'s not for me to question How God will provide for my needs. I only have to Know that He will.

Offline Don Smith

• View Profile
    • http://straightincalumni.com
« Reply #70 on: October 22, 2003, 07:40:00 AM »
Did anyone ever say no? I doubt it. It was an offer you couldn't refuse.

Yes, Keith Ellis went through the PT Class then the night before he was going to be promoted, retracted his Resume and told Staff he wasn't interested. :wave:   Less than a month later, he 7th Stepped.

Don
t\'s not for me to question How God will provide for my needs. I only have to Know that He will.

Offline Dee Verry

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: October 22, 2003, 09:20:00 AM »
So nice to see all the post :wave: Hey so glad you all made it.This made my morning and it's great your awake.I am from Elan but,we all can relate and see the programs were not that different.I hurt for your pain and that gives me strenth,forgive?I don't forget. I have moved on.I don't let anger rule me,cause then I would not be free.I come here to say it!It's a wonderful freedom for me.say it you'll like it.

Offline Dee Verry

• View Profile
« Reply #72 on: October 22, 2003, 09:23:00 AM »
We were children from a era were you didn't say no.Being sent to a cult we really had no choice.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #73 on: October 22, 2003, 02:31:00 PM »
People who said they wanted to be on staff moved very quickly through their phases. They were the same people who never got in trouble for doing the same thing another person would do because they wanted to be on staff.  :flame:

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
« Reply #74 on: October 22, 2003, 04:41:00 PM »
I'll cop to that. I'm sorry if I hurt you. I'd been living this role all my life up to that point.

If you want to talk about complicity and retribution, where do we draw the line? Every teacher and school faculty member who didn't do anything to protect us? All the law enforcement people who maintained the perimeter in our little prison without walls? All the pop shrinks and all the talk show hosts and all the audience members who do their part to re-enforce the doctrine?

A lot of people have taken umberage at my comparing forced treatment to Stalinist reeducation, the Program and DARE to Nazi Hitler Jugend, area drug taskforces to storm troopers and those 1-800-BEA-SNITch anonymous tip hotlines, Citizens On Patrol and police organized neighborhood watch programs to the Nazi Stazi.

But no one, so far, has shown me any real serious flaw in the comparison. Even the prima facia evidence that there has been no mass execution of drug war prisoners is starting to fall apart as we see more and more often headlines about malnutrition, food poisoning and forced labour in our prison system where roughly half of the inmates are drug war POWs.

If it's accurate to say that the core of the Program is totalism philosophy, then the Program is so deeply entrenched in our society that it's a part of who we are. Like the German people since WWII, we're going to have to come to terms with this ugly reality and find ways to forgive eachother or go on hating.

As a society, we are almost all complicit in this nightmare. We're all in it together. We're not going to punish our way out of this.

"If only there were evil people somewhere, insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them. But the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?"--Alexandr Solzhenitsyn, Gulag Archipelago

Are staff members forgivable? Infinitely so! Staff was just another phase of the Program. There are far worse crimes committed every day in this war. At least you don't have to live with having shot an unarmed kid like some of our law enforcement officers do or having sent a hundred young kids to prison for decades like a lot of our judges and prosecutors do. I wonder how they sleep at night!

for it is a truth, which the experience of all ages has attested, that the people are commonly most in danger when the means of insuring their rights are in the possession of those of whom they entertain the least suspicion.    
--Alexander Hamilton

Straight South (Sarasota, FL)
Anonymity Anonymous
"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes