Author Topic: The Origin of All this was The Seed  (Read 14493 times)

Offline 90's Guy

• View Profile
The Origin of All this was The Seed
« on: February 12, 2005, 10:55:00 PM »
Did u guys know that Peterman was a Seed volunteer Mom in the early 70's. That is where she started. She then started working at Straight, but all the ideas came from The Seed. That is where I went to The Seed. The ideas at Growing Together and Life were not from Straight. They were from The Seed, who originated the whole concept, even Moral Inventories.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2005, 11:11:00 PM »
Yes indeed, I DID know that.  Life and GT never took on that "military" style that Straight used.

Offline 90's Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2005, 11:15:00 PM »
But Anon, you keep saying "Straight" and I'm telling you it was not Straight. The concepts originated from Seed, which was not military in nature. I think if you really learned about The Seed, you would be shocked how much more authentic and real it was than all the copy cat programs, like Life/ growing together.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2005, 11:29:00 PM »
On 2005-02-12 20:15:00, 90's Guy wrote:

"But Anon, you keep saying "Straight" and I'm telling you it was not Straight. The concepts originated from Seed, which was not military in nature. I think if you really learned about The Seed, you would be shocked how much more authentic and real it was than all the copy cat programs, like Life/ growing together."

The reason I mentioned STRAIGHT, is because the majority of Posters on Fornits seem to come from there, and lump ALL treatment programs together relating them STRICTLY to STRAIGHT.  That's why the reference.  I was in LIFE.

Offline 90's Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2005, 11:33:00 PM »
I know, but what you and a lot of people here do not even begin to realize is that the origin was not Straight. The original, authentic program was The Seed by Art Barker. Beleive me there was no other, and unofrtunately, Life was a cheap copy cat of that program. There was not real love or committment like at The Seed. Straight tried to duplicate The Seed, but it was not able to.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2005, 11:45:00 PM »
Ok - yes, I was NOT in the Seed, but I do know a lot about it and some people that were involved in it in the '70's.  I was in LIFE and felt the program was tough, but good and I learned a lot there, and have no "gripes" about it.  Took what I needed from it and moved on.
  What year were you at the SEED?  First name?

Kim

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2005, 11:55:00 PM »
Kim, are you from St Pete? How old are you and what school did you go to?

The seed sucks.

Offline 90's Guy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2005, 12:03:00 AM »
See what you odo not realize is that u were all a part of a copy cat program, not the real thing.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2005, 12:05:00 AM »
On 2005-02-12 21:03:00, 90's Guy wrote:

"See what you odo not realize is that u were all a part of a copy cat program, not the real thing."

THe real thing sucked too.  The was little difference, 90 guy. In fact, straight was started by all seedlings, and Life was a direct copy.

You are kind of barking up the wrong tree. In order to believe these places were so different (and there not, i have visited the modern day programs and they all have the same cultic "love") then you have to believe that Art was somehow special.

He was not.

Offline Helena Handbasket

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2005, 12:11:00 AM »
On 2005-02-12 20:33:00, 90's Guy wrote:

"I know, but what you and a lot of people here do not even begin to realize is that the origin was not Straight. The original, authentic program was The Seed by Art Barker. Beleive me there was no other, and unofrtunately, Life was a cheap copy cat of that program. There was not real love or committment like at The Seed. Straight tried to duplicate The Seed, but it was not able to."

Yep.  And it was the Seed that begat Straight, Inc., which begat LIFE.  Helen Peterman was a Seed parent, then on staff at Straight before she formed LIFE with George Ross.

http://thestraights.com/the-straights/t ... hts-fc.htm

I'll admit, LIFE was a cheap copycat ... of anything - especially of anything resembling "treatment".  But then again, so was the Seed and Straight.
uly 21, 2003 - September 17, 2006

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2005, 12:16:00 AM »
The Seed was noht a copy cat of anything, except some of the philiosphical concetps of A.A., but shapeb by Art Barker for adolescents. YOu are so blind to beleive that Peterman and the rest of these quacks had even one ounce of the charisma that Art had. You were not at The Seed, so u do not know. Beleive me I recognize The Seed was not perfect, but it was more authentic and much deeper than these other copy cats.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2005, 12:24:00 AM »
the seed "copied" much of their techniques from the synanon and AA.

Also, many of the techniques are similar to cults lke the moonies, hari krisnas and Scientology. Further, other programs using the techniques predated the seed such as CEDU.

Original? Don't make me laugh.  The seed was bullshit and you seem still suckered by it.

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2005, 12:32:00 AM »
On 2005-02-12 21:16:00, Anonymous wrote:

"The Seed was noht a copy cat of anything, except some of the philiosphical concetps of A.A., but shapeb by Art Barker for adolescents. YOu are so blind to beleive that Peterman and the rest of these quacks had even one ounce of the charisma that Art had. You were not at The Seed, so u do not know. Beleive me I recognize The Seed was not perfect, but it was more authentic and much deeper than these other copy cats."

So this is about charisma?  So what?  The FACT[/i] is that Peterman started in the Seed, passed thru Straight and came to LIFE.  What the fuck does "Charisma" have to do with anything?

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2005, 12:40:00 AM »
You know what?  

I don't know what scares me worse:  the fact that these gulags and charlatans are still in operation and infecting the minds of kids whose parents were duped in the first place (about the "great war on drugs) ...

OR

The fact that there are now 30 years worth of devotees and apologists for methods that have been proved harmful, and still propogate in yet larger numbers, messing up even more lives.... and the people that don't regard their lives as hindered by these people, are simply unable to think for themselves - effectively becoming drones.

Thank you, but I'm HAPPY to be a "cop out"!

Offline Thom

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2005, 01:10:00 AM »
let me get this Straight....it was the Seed that begat Straight, which begat LIFE. Helen Peterman was a Seed parent, then on staff at Straight before she formed LIFE with George Ross. Just exactly how did Peterman and Ross form LIFE? Did the Seed come Straight from Ross, and were their spouses aware of the relationship? If Ross' Seed begat Straight's LIFE, how then did Art's charisma and AA/CEDU/etc. spawn the original Seed's LIFE Straight from Ross' Seed which was a product of Art's charismatic LIFE?  I just hope Peterman and Ross dealt Straight with their formation of Life in their moral inventories (which, by the way, pre-date The Seed by either approx. 1900 years (Bible), or around 40 years(AA), depending on how you believe, believe it or not. Not Peterman, Ross or Art, but the art of moral inventory taking, that is) And that's the Straight stuff.
 ::argue::

I think I know where I got off track! I thought the 11th step said 'Sought through beer and medication to remove our conscious contact w/ God...I plead lysdexia!
Who wants to say why we sing jingle bells?[ This Message was edited by: Thom on 2005-02-12 22:16 ]