Author Topic: Re: Straight in Plymouth, MI 1987  (Read 23878 times)

Offline glassgroupie

• View Profile
I was in Cincy and Michigan 85-86
« Reply #30 on: November 01, 2001, 11:56:12 PM »
I was also one of the people who came over from Cincy to start the Michigan Straight program.  I was on 5th phase and (from what I found out later) just weeks from 7th stepping, when I left the program by simply walking out of my house.  My parents called the police, who came and said there was nothing they could do.  This, of course, would be unheard of in Cincinnati - I would have been tackled by everyone in the room, or kept in by locks, etc.  I was also restrained on the floor in Cincinnati and saw the many people who tried to escape being tackled to the floor by anyone near them, so I was brainwashed to try and physically stop people who tried to leave the Michigan program.  I remember grabbing one girl's arm who tried to leave and Staff told me that I had to let go.  As messed up as the entire Straight program is (I have been reading various posts about the violence and holding people against their will that took place in the different Straight programs and certainly remember similar things firsthand) I feel fortunate that I got to go to Michigan when its program first started because many of the laws were on our side then.  We actually had some fun and quite a bit of freedom when the program first started.  Group sessions were shorter, we went on outings, had groups in people's homes until the building was ready.  We really got to know each other and I felt like we were "normal kids."  Having missed out on things like my prom, highschool friendships, graduating highschool with anyone I knew because of Straight, this particular period in Straight is one that I remember relatively fondly.  I guess I can only say that it was fun because I came from Cincinnati where it was anything but fun.  I guess the leaders of the Michigan program were able to manipulate the Michigan laws as well because it sounds like it wasn't long before it became the same as Cincinnaiti was.  I left before the restraining laws came into effect, but it wasn't long after the Michigan program started that the verbal abuse and other tactics were used and I finally left (this was my only, but last cop-out attempt - don't ask my why it took so long, fear I guess).  It sounds like some of you were there the same time I was.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline 2dogs2

• View Profile
welcome
« Reply #31 on: November 02, 2001, 01:01:33 AM »
Hey whats up glass?  When did you split MI.?  I was there in 86'. I knew a bunch of the folks who came up from Cinncy.    There is another web site for EX-straightlings that I think you might like...Yahoo groups.straight Inc. alumni Check it out...... 2-dogs

Offline LESTAT49203

• View Profile
Re: welcome
« Reply #32 on: November 01, 2001, 08:52:48 AM »
Hello!  About time you found this place.  I came up from Cincy as well.  Do you remember Jeff Best, Jenny Bowers, or Todd Barron?  How about Dawn Shanna or Tim Tokarz?  Evan though the program was still a mind @#%$ when it first opened in Michigan, I must agree with you.  It was nice not having the same restrictions and restraining laws that the other programs were being subjected to.  It definitly made for a different group atmospher than the one I remember in Cincy.  Glad you found the board, hope to hear back from you.  By the way, whats your name?

Offline glassgroupie

• View Profile
Thanks
« Reply #33 on: November 01, 2001, 05:04:21 PM »
Hi.  Lestat, I posted a message to you through the yahoo board.  Did you get it?  I figured out who you are through that board and remember you well.  I also remember all of those people you listed in the past and previous posts.  Do you hear from any of them?  

2dogs, I saw your name in earlier posts and it sounds so familiar, but I left in April 1986 as a fifth phaser so if I was there when you were, I was probably not in group much to know you.  What month did you come in?

Offline LESTAT49203

• View Profile
Re: Thanks
« Reply #34 on: November 01, 2001, 05:04:21 PM »
I think I remember you too.  Were you there when we all went to the Moon?  If I am remembering right you were there when I took abunch of 5th phasers to go sleding.  We cooked out over a bonfire and actualy had some fun.  One of the few days I can remember enjoying while I was there. lol   Anyway, I can't see the executives in Cincy letting me take you guys to one of my old party places like the executives did in Michigan.  Oh wait, I didn't tell them I use to party there when I asked. lol    Do you remember that, or am I thinking of someone else?

Offline glassgroupie

• View Profile
The Moon
« Reply #35 on: November 01, 2001, 11:05:16 PM »
Yes.  I was there!  That was the fun outing I was talking about.  Actually that may have been the only one that we went on, but considering what it was like in Cincinnati, it seemed pretty major at the time.  What about some of the people you mentioned earlier.  Do you keep in touch with anyone?

Offline 2dogs2

• View Profile
Missed ya
« Reply #36 on: November 01, 2001, 06:08:16 AM »
Missed ya by a few months. I got there in Aug. 86' We probably knew some of the same people and went through similar hells. Bet I hated some of the same A. S. S.  holes you did.  LOL.

Offline GILLY

• View Profile
MICH. STRAIGHT
« Reply #37 on: December 01, 2001, 01:19:30 PM »
I WAS IN THE MICH STRAIGHT ABOUT 87-88  CONTACT ME AT [email protected]

Offline GILLY

• View Profile
86-87 MICH STRAIGHT
« Reply #38 on: December 01, 2001, 02:03:10 PM »
[email protected]

some names i remember...**.lori wagner/warner*  *jen *?  and *jennie phichollie *?sp...chris fisher,percy mealing,**laura ?**....*Amy higgimbothom*..*erin lyinch* ,sally coon      stars are for long term people    there was a Dax.. a girl Katie that rebelled the whole time...wow its been a while!  I am Gillian Cenami was there 10 months copped out w/parents help boy that took some work , got dropped 2 x's before i got threw to my mom.. some staff i remembeer...Will, Peter,Joe,Deanna (all graduates)       COOL DUDE..LOL GET IN TOUCH IF YOU WANT!!           (druggie slang)

Offline LESTAT49203

• View Profile
Re: Straight in Plymouth, MI 1987
« Reply #39 on: December 01, 2001, 06:54:41 AM »
Hey Gil, sorry all I can do is torment you.  I was there up till Sept 86.  I wouldn't know many of the people you were on your program with, but I bet I know a lot of the @#%$'s that helped you to see the way to True Sobriety.   lmao!!!!!!!  Iam on Yahoo Instant Messenger.  My ID is lestat49203.  Get with me if you want to bullshit about the place.  Later

Offline 2dogs2

• View Profile
MI. Straight.
« Reply #40 on: December 01, 2001, 05:52:10 AM »
Hey Gilly. I was there also when you were. Aug.86' Dec. 87'.  My real name is Joe Pechette.  Do you have last names of any of the people you mentioned? I'm on Yahoo mess. too.   There I'm "Joey95685". Let's yak.   Have you checked out Straight Inc. alumni (yahoo groups) yet? There's like 120 members.   Later.............Joey

Offline 2dogs2

• View Profile
What up "G"
« Reply #41 on: December 01, 2001, 07:54:40 PM »
Just wanted to keep this subject near the top , in case any of my old friends cruise by.  "Love ya's".........JOEY

Offline jeff belflower

• View Profile
Newton
« Reply #42 on: December 01, 2001, 01:55:26 PM »
I was in St. Pete for three and a half years in the early eighties. Dr. Newton was God to me for the entire time. I really wish I could tell you all the3 stories I have to tell. I use to see this man torture lots of kids and abuse the @#%$ out of them. I remember peanut butter diets and having five people sit on you at a time beating your chest and hurting the @#%$ out of you in humanity and legalization. We were all druggies in a bad situation, worse yet really young. I am almost 38 years old now. I blame them for screwing me up and my whole family life, which includes support and unqote love. I don't even like the wqrd love now. Maybe one day we will all get together like a weird dream I have. Peace, Love and maybe happiness with love used in the right way.

Offline jeff belflower

• View Profile
straight
« Reply #43 on: December 01, 2001, 02:01:17 PM »
I am laughing now because if you were in Straight you would be blasted out of the room and spit on and maybe sat on. You have great courage and I totaly respect you for that. Keep up the greatness and may peace and love be with you.

Offline bellalu

• View Profile
Cinci 84
« Reply #44 on: December 01, 2001, 04:30:50 PM »
How odd to find this site!  It was actually my Mom who told me about it. I was in Cinci from 84 at the age of 14 until they opened in plymouth and transferred me there, I believe in 96 or 97?  I have lived with much anger and resentment that the emotional and physical abuse that I endured was considered "therapy".  I was abandoned by my parents until I reached 18 because they didn't see the brainwashing.  Anyway my name is Ali Jeffries and my brother Shaun was there along with me. Anyone out there remember us?