Author Topic: weird daydream  (Read 7328 times)

Offline hedwigfan

• View Profile
weird daydream
« on: September 19, 2002, 08:04:00 PM »
This will sound really stupid, but I remember sitting in group on 1st phase, daydreaming about busting out the side doors, running down Austell Road, and finding someplace where I could eat some birthday cake. I don't know if it's because of all the little games the kitchen workers would play with food rations or if I was truly nuts...
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
ll this world is but a play
Be thou the joyful player
\"Maya\"  The Incredible String Band

Offline Tampa survivor

• View Profile
weird daydream
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2002, 07:57:00 PM »
Austell road fantasies were often centered around food if I remember correctly.  We had like all Po' Folks all the time for a while.  God did it suck.  Good chicken every now and then, but egad, how much is enough...
I felt that way about birthday cake too, as I turned 15 after 18 mos in program, was misbehaving, and the staff wouldn't let me have any of the rather expensive cake for group my parents bought.  Two birthdays in a row and neither time was I allowed to have any. T2wisted jerks.  
Bill
Bill H
St Pete & Atlanta, never surrendered!
12/80-12/82

Offline hedwigfan

• View Profile
weird daydream
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2002, 09:01:00 PM »
I also remember this bizarre thing people would do with their peanut butter and jelly sandwiches...At your oldcomer's, you'd get that economy-sized bucket o' peanut butter, and slather it on as thick as your oldcomer would permit. At lunchtime, you would try to make it last as long as you could by picking off all the bread until there was nothing left but a thick slab of peanut butter...Absolutely twisted. I wonder how many eating disorders blossomed while sitting in group...
ll this world is but a play
Be thou the joyful player
\"Maya\"  The Incredible String Band

Offline Hagrid

• View Profile
weird daydream
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2002, 10:16:00 PM »
I was over 18, on 5th phase, and I got set back for not letting my nuke, a misbehaivor, eat the cake, before I searched it for contraban, in the car on the ride home.  First phase set back for this?!?!?

Offline kpickle39

• View Profile
weird daydream
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2002, 02:41:00 PM »
ah yes, day dreams.......I remember sitting on front row in the St. Pete Building looking out of the roll up doors at the Park Avenue overpass that ran near Tyrone Square Mall.   I used to fantasize that I would be in one of those cars that were traveling on the overpass taking me to freedom.   Last year, my wife and I visited the old building in St. Pete.  One of the roll up doors was open and we went inside and just walked around.   It was very strange. I then went out front of the building by the parking lot and stared at the overpass for a good long time.   On the way home my wife drove on the overpass and I caught a glimpse of the building as we drove by.  FINALLY, MY FANTASY CAME TRUE........IT WAS TRULEY AMAZING!!

Offline ladyjerrico

• View Profile
weird daydream
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2002, 09:23:00 AM »
My first few weeks at Straight were nothing more than wondering what was for dinner.. lol. Wondering "what host home will I be sent to next?".
After a few months I was staying in the same place during the week and had the same old comer. I was pretty annoyed by that because my old comer was a bit mean and she would always take us in her basement every morning so she could curl her hair and make us freeze our butts off waiting for her. (her name was Erin Sower, in case anyone remembers her).
I began to realize that it would be the same old place and then starting to wonder where would I end up on the weekends? If nothing else I got a great tour of Michigan and practically know where places and cities are located.
I also paid attention to where they were taking me, most of the time I would end up in Lansing on weekends, quite a ways from my home in Sterling Hgts. but I looked forward to long car rides because I could finish my MI and not worry about it, sometimes I would do a day in advance and people wouldn't even know it.. lol
usan Minns

Offline kosmonaut

• View Profile
    • http://www.5minutestolive.com/qtGIMME.html
weird daydream
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2002, 03:27:00 PM »
On 2002-09-20 16:57:00, Tampa survivor wrote:
Austell road fantasies were often centered around food if I remember correctly.  We had like all Po' Folks all the time for a while.  God did it suck.  Good chicken every now and then, but egad, how much is enough...

I felt that way about birthday cake too, as I turned 15 after 18 mos in program, was misbehaving, and the staff wouldn't let me have any of the rather expensive cake for group my parents bought.  Two birthdays in a row and neither time was I allowed to have any. T2wisted jerks.  

Bill

blegh!  The dinners were always the worst.  At least lunch wasn't so bad cause it's pretty hard to screw up a pbj and an apple.
AR CRASH TURNS FROWN UPSIDE DOWN

Offline str8isabuse

• View Profile
weird daydream
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2002, 05:19:00 PM »
do any of you remember the "hash" they fed us in st. pete?  it was a mixture of tiny cubes of potatoes, eggs, and "meat" that resembled cat food.  they also gave us a pile of mashed potatoes with a few "meatballs" and gravy on it.  another healthful dish was beans and franks.  remember the fake butter pats on paper?  to this day, i don't like eating with plastic utensils.

hedwigfan, i remember doing the same thing with pb&j!  i'd forgotten about that strange way we ate those sandwiches.  which straight and what years were you in?

btw, what kind of doc are you? i'm a doc, too, but now stay home with my kids.

Offline Tampa survivor

• View Profile
weird daydream
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2002, 10:21:00 PM »
ACCCKKKK....I had forgotten that wonderful hash the strange bitch in the kitchen at st pete would whip up.  How about that nasty cool aid syrup shit that if some dumb 2nd phaser mixed wrong was just like glucose tolerance test syrup.  Lovely hypertonic drink on a fine 96 degree Florida day.  
I remember those Atlanta bag lunches too...I got busted so many times putting "too much" pnut butter on them that staff required my oldcomers to make em thin for me.  Misbehavior diet was pnut butter 7-24 for me, and the last stretch I did first phasing, I would eat my apple ,if lucky enough to get one, completely, core,seeds, and stem.  Pretty bad to know you are starving at 15.  Worse was getting caught peeling the baseboard plastic in St Pete (GandyABC rooms)and chewing the glue they used to stick 'em to the stucco.  Some staffer asked what I was doing after a snitch ratted me out....I got stood up, told em that the glue got me high, and was started over.  I noticed a few days later another hell raiser doing it too.  Sucker believed it when I had just been bored and jerking them around.
Bill H
St Pete & Atlanta, never surrendered!
12/80-12/82

Offline ladyjerrico

• View Profile
weird daydream
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2002, 09:38:00 AM »
Straight in Plymouth didn't have emergancy food so to speak, we made our lunches from our host homes and brought them in. However, if we didn't make one or didn't have time, we were stuck eating "ghetto" pb and jelly. A few times lunches were brought in by host parents and there were a few times that they were short on a couple and I ended up sharing a lunch with someone, which wasn't bad. As far as "rations" we may have had some, but we wern't allowed to look in the cupboard to find out, they were off limits, so I don't know if staff had a stash or not, it seems like they didn't because if we didn't have food, it seems like we were SOL. They had some cupboard space, what was in those cupboards, I have no idea.
usan Minns

Offline enough

• View Profile
weird daydream
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2002, 06:05:00 AM »
When I got into the program in Dec of 83, we had po Folks on Sundays only. It always seemed like they dug around in the bottom of the fryers to find the most disgusting piece of grease laden chicken to send out to the program. I believe the program got a big discount by accepting substandard food, the chicken was never hot- a serious food bore illness risk and the rest of the meal was generall inedible.

For dinner the rest of the week we ate food from some awful caterer. It was like prison food, I think, there was pretty much the same thing week after week, the greens were the worst- Collards and other bitter greens served with no seasoning, cooked till they were mush.

Sometime in  mid summer of 84 I think a Mom took on the kitchen, they got it remodeled, and mananged to start serving their own food, it was a damn sight better than the catering. But then there was the whole 'KP' drama- people touching knifes, should I cop out while taking out the garbage? etc.

I can't remember the name of the home but in at least one host home we were basically starved. They took the food that newcomer paretns sent and fed their own kids with it adn left the rest of us in the home to go to bed hungry. I can remember this bitch of a woman telling me that they had no obligation to give me any food except a lunch and at breakfast. we were allowed a bagel for breakfast, and only the famous PBJ sandwich for lunch.

How many times were people told that food was  distraction from their drug problems? Who knows.

Offline Capt. Marti

• View Profile
    • http://www.tampabayfishing.info
weird daydream
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2002, 10:09:00 AM »
Man I remember that nasty food. How about the wonderful SPAM. My spouse bought it once I saw it in the cubbard got real angry and threw it out. My spouse said "Guess I wont buy spam anymore".
Or does anyone remember those god awful stale donuts in the morgan yaught building. The ones you could use as a hockey puck. How about the fact that you had five minutes to eat and then "pass it down" if you werent done too bad..
I am the faster eater on florida's west coast still. Im done with my dinner at home before anyone else even manages to pick up their silverware.

Offline ladyjerrico

• View Profile
weird daydream
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2002, 09:40:00 PM »
LoL, it doesn't stop there for me, I have 15 minutes to eat at work and that's it.. since I'm only part time I have to scarf my food quick
usan Minns

Offline Sophie

• View Profile
weird daydream
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2002, 09:45:00 PM »
Oh my gosh... It never occurred to me that I eat like a maniac because of that place.  That's right we did have to eat fast. (shaking my head) what a mind fuck.

Offline ladyjerrico

• View Profile
weird daydream
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2002, 09:47:00 PM »
Wouldn't that cause indigestion and heartburn? hmm.. I see some medical problems that Straight is to still blame for now .. (evil grin)

[ This Message was edited by: ladyjerrico on 2002-10-15 18:47 ]
usan Minns