Author Topic: Lets Get Small........  (Read 2302 times)

Offline 85 Day Jerk

• View Profile
Lets Get Small........
« on: December 11, 2004, 09:45:00 PM »
I remember an old Steve Martin routine called "Let's Get Small," where he replaced the word stoned with the word small.  Well, sad to say, I am not gonna do that or even try to be funny.  I just needed a title for what I feel like writing about right now.  I think in the end we will all feel a little smaller, and if all goes well, just a little bit uncomfortable.

I have been a member of this forum for 3 years or so and there has only been ONE instance that I know of that a PARENT actually came onto the board and expressed themselves.  Their handle was Snow White I believe.  She expressed deep regret at the harmful effects that the program had placed on her son, got some advice and then moved on.  I bet she sleeps pretty damn good too.

How about your parents?  Do you even talk to them, or is it more like you see them mostly during the holidays out of some perverse sense of "owing" it to them, or to give off the impression of being a 'good normal family.'  One in which it was 'okay' to house the rebelious teens in a warehouse until they "got with the program, cut their hair, brought them grades up and made a parent proud?"  

"Golly Gee Willikers Mom, this is the best stuffing ever!"  "Hey dad!,I can't believe you actually bought a Segway,"  "The Jone's don't stand a chance against you!"  And we all kick back our heads like giant Pez dispensers and laugh, and laugh.  Then, through the power of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, the alarm clock rings and pulls me abruptly out of the nightmare.

In the real world, my step-mom would probably say something stupid to set me off and try to disguise it as "simple curiousity," and would be sitting there gurgling like a fish because she has a face full of butternut squash and dad is at the head of the table practicing his Thousand Yard Stare while I do a much better re-make of the Animal House Cafeteria Food Fight.

Now I don't know about the rest of you, but my family is pretty much in denial of the whole issue of Straight.  I sent my dad a post card and sent one to the older sister as well.  With my sis, I left her my e-mail, but hav'nt heard nothing yet.  I don't call them, because the sound of their voice makes me wanna pound beers like I'm a college pledge during Rush Week.  I have seen alot of folks throwing their two cents around about Documentaries, Film Projects, Court Cases, Morgan Colling and Gilbert and lastly Montel Williams.  After all that is said and done, I just got one thing to ask.........  What about Mom & Dad?  Do you trundle over to their house for that primo Michelob and Heineken?  All that free food, and fancy appetisers?  How much alcohol does it take to drown your pride and douse the fire where your self respect once burned bright?  

I would LOVE to see double postings of parent to Survivor, just for the sheer trippiness of it.  Holy Dogshit! imagine Animal's parent coming in here, or our dear Powerful Attitudes mommy come in and scold him for his twisted sexual ineundo's,
and for the grand prize, maybe a few parents actually OUTING some of these loftly ANONYMOUS posters, maybe dredging up some funny shit like the time they caught them burning themselves with a soldering iron so they could get out of group with "Chicken Pox."

Hey, the sky's the limit, but the buck stops here when it comes to family gatherings.  Oh you'll hear them say, "Because it's Christmas,"  Does this mean I can come up to the house at 90MPH and smash the livin shit out of every relatives car and yell, "Because it's NASCAR!!!!!????"  I better stop, now because there is just no stopping how much I hate the holidays.  Please don't feel bad for me, feel happy, because this really is therapuedic,  (trust me it is....)
Merry Christmas, Bob in St. Pete
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
Inside a warehouse behind Tyrone Mall
we walked in darkness, kept hitting the wall.
I took the time to feel for the door,
I had been \"treated\" but what the hell for?

Offline GregFL

• View Profile
Lets Get Small........
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2004, 10:24:00 PM »
Just to let you know Bob, my mom always hated the seed. In fact it put her in the hospital with a "nervous breakdown". She said something about posting here, but frankly she is old and sick and the subject gets her so worked up Id rather she didn't.

My father and his wife are a different story. Several years ago he did an online interview with Wes, Ginger, and about 10 other seed/straight survivors. He was on the founding  board of directors of  straight, Inc. He has always been in denial of what occured, but during this interview he became visibly upset and I had to gently tell him it was okay before he would continue.

What he got upset about was not anyone questioning him but just asking him if he knew how it affected the kids. He actually apologized to me shortly afterwards, but  He has since stopped talking to me about it and has once again said to other family members that the seed "saved my life",  again ducking into the realm of comfortable denial.

Happy holidays to you to Bob.  Anyone who hasn't resolved this with their family needs to. Don't expect them to change, just change yourself and go talk to them unemotionally about what occured. Give them the intellectual argument and bow out if they get upset.  The problem as I see it is I always broached the subject with him as a child/adult conversation. I was stuck there emotionally on this topic. Once I gave him the adult/adult intellectual, factual story he just couldn't come back with anything.

You can do it too. All of you.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Lets Get Small........
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2004, 10:29:00 PM »
Sometimes when I'm Talking to my mom she'll ask me,
Are you still sober??  I say, aaaaa yea.. :smile:
Between Midland and Colorado Springs I stayed with my parents in Las Cruces, NM for a couple of weeks.  I played a solo show at the Las Cruces Hilton and my mom came to watch.  I was so happy when she left because I could start drinking beer.  I got so fucked up that night I went and stayed the night at my brothers house, who, thank God, also lives in Las Cruces.  :lol:

Offline shady grove

• View Profile
Lets Get Small........
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2004, 11:30:00 PM »
I dunno greg.

I am impressed that you have approached the 'rents with this. I honestly think my dad couldn't take it. He is  a frail old man with parkinson's disease, and struggles every day to survive. I'm sure if asked he would still say "god bless straight" as he did for several years after I was withdrawn. He was not one of those "warehousing-type" parents. He really thought he was doing the right thing and agonized about his decision. Then of course, once we were in there, the brainwashing began on him. He was broken down, his wife just died and kid was in real trouble, business failing...he was, and still is, a mess. I seriously think it would do him harm to discuss this, and I have no need to do that to him.

Bob, my Dad and I will never communicate sanely. Straight, drugs and mental disease have ruined that. No matter what I say to him, he will never fully hear what I am saying...like the interpreter is getting like every 5th word correct. And everything he says to me sounds like disapproval. Actually often it is! And step mom, everytime I bring up straight to her she reminds me how fucked-up I was in there. Then tells me they had no other choice.

I talked to an old friend about straight last week out on my awesome fishing boat. She said that when I used to tell her about straight back when we were in high school, it made her cry. People on the outside of this really think it's fucked-up!

Offline GregFL

• View Profile
Lets Get Small........
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2004, 08:24:00 AM »
Shady Grove, looks like you got it worked out pretty good. Don't  force the old guy to stare this down if it will harm him.

:tup:

Offline ginabobina

• View Profile
Lets Get Small........
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2004, 09:58:00 AM »
I read your post Shady and yours Greg and I am grateful my parents are of sound minds and see that while in their eyes Straight kept me alive that there were travesty's that occured in there that they were blind to. When I came to them with the links to Wes's site they were open minded and horrified that any child ever had to be a part of that and that they had put me there. But I am alive today whether I would have been without Straight we will never know. Would I have all the self critcism of myself without Straight and my odd view points who knows...It was nice to see that you all dont appear to be aggressively angry for the decidions that they made.

Offline PerfectStraightling

• View Profile
Lets Get Small........
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2004, 02:01:00 PM »
Hmmm, I don't think I've ever to this day talked about what went on at straight with my father. I think he 1) wouldn't understand what the hell I was saying because 2) it is too bizarre and 3) he feels too uncomfortable with emotional conversations. I have yet to meet anyone who I felt like really understood what straight was like, not by any fault of their own, I really believe it's a you have to see it to believe it type deal. With my mom, I remember answering a couple of questions afterwards, she said something about how I had done drugs, and I struggled then with how much can I defend myself without being dishonest about what I HAVE done. I'm really sad I felt so guilty about everything. It's such a waste and I wish I could go back and undo everything. But I did tell her a few bits of information about it and then made the decision not to ever bring it up again. It's so strange how I did that. I had such a weird control over my thoughts. Now I guess it just seems like too much to bring up, I don't know how she could ever make me feel better about it all. [ This Message was edited by: jane on 2004-12-13 11:03 ]

Offline mental torture made me li

• View Profile
Lets Get Small........
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2004, 10:00:00 AM »

Offline PerfectStraightling

• View Profile
Lets Get Small........
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2004, 01:10:00 PM »
On 2004-12-14 07:00:00, Pietra wrote:

"
Well, at least I have brothers and sisters who I am still close to, that is something. But I am very happy to spend the holidays by myself"

I know how you feel. I still do see, mostly my dad, on holidays, but it always feels like...maybe I would be happier if I didn't come over here trying to be "normal." Whatever that means. But then I think, I'm being too hard on them and I should just make the most of it. It's better than no family. Obviously--I haven't resolved this issue.

Offline 85 Day Jerk

• View Profile
Lets Get Small........
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2004, 10:35:00 AM »
It is always hard to write about my family, yet I can't help getting slammed in the face with it every holiday season like a wild game of Dodge Ball where 2 or more balls are in play at once.

I don't want for anyone out there to be drying their eyes with the corner of a hanky over my bitterness towards my family, simply becouse that is not the whole story.  I still had immense family support after my program.  People just don't know about it because I don't talk about it much.

I touched briefly on it awile back.  I had a secret pact with my Grandfather going all the way back to 3rd phase.  When I was kicked out of the house at the age of 19, he let me live in his garage for 45 days or so until my induction date for the Army.  Even after I got drummed out of the service on a section 8, he still helped me out and welcomed me into his home.  I even got an apartment the next street over.

The Thanksgiving dinner of 1986, was especially memorable, because I WALKED to grand dad's house and watched the rest of the family drive up and pile out of the car.  For once, I sat on the porch and answered the door and THEY were the guests.  Grampa even shut off the A/C so he could watch runnels of sweat drops coarse tiny plow tracks through the wicked stepmother's make-up!
He even had a small desktop fan strategically placed to blow on grandma so that she never noticed that the air was off.  We would glance at each other during dinner, exchanging secret smirks as we watched the others fidget.  My grandparents were my rock, and provided a much more solid foundation than my father ever could have dreamed of doing.  They made family gatherings bearable.  It was only after they died, that I came to realize that there just was'nt anything solid anymore when it came to my dad.  As it stands now, there is nothing to act as a buffer.  I am sure that if I had children, things would no doubt be different.  My dad would be able to reach me through them.  There is still time, so I guess that's something.
Inside a warehouse behind Tyrone Mall
we walked in darkness, kept hitting the wall.
I took the time to feel for the door,
I had been \"treated\" but what the hell for?

Offline animals all of us

• View Profile
Lets Get Small........
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2004, 12:33:00 PM »
bump