Author Topic: another bad thing  (Read 3527 times)

Offline hedwigfan

• View Profile
another bad thing
« on: September 10, 2002, 05:12:00 AM »
Another thing I remember is having to exercise all day when the group was in a bad  place. Of course, we didn't get to go outside, and to make things even more interesting, we'd be herded into the smallest room possible that would fit all of us, the thermostat would get turned up to make it hot, and we'd have to do calisthenics and run in place until condensation formed on the walls! The people on peanut butter diets would be passing out. we didn't get to have water.
  I wonder, did Straight have to get accreditation from JCAHO during the 80's?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
ll this world is but a play
Be thou the joyful player
\"Maya\"  The Incredible String Band

Offline Tampa survivor

• View Profile
another bad thing
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2002, 07:03:00 AM »
Straight had an amazing array of connections regarding HRS type stuff.  I remember one time in 81 we got chewed on to be nice for the "observers", and misbehaviors dissapeared for a few hours.  Where they went, I do not know, but some suits came to back of group, then left.
Bill
Bill H
St Pete & Atlanta, never surrendered!
12/80-12/82

Offline enough

• View Profile
another bad thing
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2002, 10:06:00 PM »
There were several times that misbehavers were taken away in Atlanta.

Kris- I recall being crammed into the carpet room, something like 250 people? And doing those running in place raps till the walls were sweating.

I also remember beign forced to sit 'indian style' for hours at a time, and my doctors have confirmed that it is the likely cause for muscle and nerve damage that I have in my Glut areas.

Offline ClayL

• View Profile
another bad thing
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2002, 09:51:00 AM »
I also strongly suspect that sitting "Indian Style" is the reason I can barely walk some mornings and why if I am playing ANY sports I have to eat Aleive like candy.

CL

Offline Carmel

• View Profile
another bad thing
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2002, 10:15:00 AM »
We were only made to sit Indian style for about an hour or two every morning until everyone got to the building.  Other than that we were in chairs.  To this day I still sit straight up in my chair, just by habit.  Although I have to remember not to put my hands on my knees all the time.  

Except for lately, I am 7 months pregnant and I sure as hell have a hard time just sitting up, much less sitting up straight style.  I am taking full advantage of my nice big leather chair!

We had a lady who was an aerobic instructor come in once a week for a while to do an hours workout with us.  I hated those days.  We had to do them unless we had "medical permission" not to.  How the hell you got that I will never know.  But man did it suck doing high impact aerobics for an hour in jeans.
...hands went up and people hit the floor, he wasted two kids that ran for the door....."
-Beastie Boys, Paul Revere

Offline kaydeejaded

• View Profile
another bad thing
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2002, 12:43:00 PM »
Sitting indian style in the exec raps was torture extreme. I was only 14yrs old and could not sit like that for so long. I definately pity anyone who was older sitting like that.
 in Boston our group was in such a "bad" place they sent all us misbehaviors to safe homes for two weeks while they got the group back in a "good" place. I for one enjoyed the vacation.
or those who understand, no explanation is necessary; for those who don\'t, none will do

Offline LIFE 82

• View Profile
another bad thing
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2002, 08:24:00 PM »
At Sarasota L.I.F.E. we were also taught to play "sit indian style".I did not like to play that game.When "sit indian style" was anounced I would begin to play my favorite game "kick everybody in the face newcomer style".Even today I sit only the way I choose.

Offline Tampa survivor

• View Profile
another bad thing
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2002, 08:50:00 PM »
ROTFLMAO...
what a riot
Bill H
St Pete & Atlanta, never surrendered!
12/80-12/82

Offline ladyjerrico

• View Profile
another bad thing
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2002, 09:31:00 PM »
Ugh, I remember those LONG exec raps that would last 2-3 hours sitting on nasty smelly greasy carpeting in what was called "the carpet room" I have no idea why it was called that because it was the room with the most windows in it facing Ann Arbor Rd.
I remember after getting up, my legs would be numb and had a difficult time standing straight up with my feet together waiting to be seated again in the main room.. ugh
usan Minns

Offline ClayL

• View Profile
another bad thing
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2002, 01:34:00 PM »
By the time the afternoon rap was over and we got sent back into the main room I could barely stand. I remember getting confronted on time and being made to sit back down and go last for not getting up quickly enough.

Also, I got called on in exec. rap one time and immeadiately told to have a seat for not getting up fast enough. I'll bet, even though I don't remember, I earned nothing that night. Most likely for being disrespectful to the execs. For some reason this makes me terribly angry.

CL

Offline METALGOD8

• View Profile
another bad thing
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2002, 11:45:00 PM »
I remember quite vividly what it felt like to be sitting indian style on the tile floor jam packed inside a fuckin 10X10 room with no ventilation at all for at least 3 hours with 30 fellow newcomers. Apparently some asshole had brought a tylenol into group and they wanted to know who it was. Of course, we were fuckin newcomers, so how the hell were we supposed to do it? Seems like they should have had the oldcomers in there too. The worst part, aside from the extreme knee pain, was the fact that after about an hour, the sweat on the walls had accumulated on the floor in sweat puddles that deepened with time and when we were allowed back into group, our pants were all soaked with each other's sweat. HOLY SHIT! IF that aint a fuckin nightmare, nothin is! Executive raps were the worst. Indian style for 3 hours, sit up straight, get confronted for stretching legs, numb asses, that's rediculous to have us sitting like that. PERIOD!   MG8

Offline ladyjerrico

• View Profile
another bad thing
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2002, 09:33:00 AM »
I still refuse to sit on the floor to this day, going over a friends house or if there is nowhere to sit, I'll just stand there and lean on the wall or something.. lol.
usan Minns

Offline gduncan

• View Profile
another bad thing
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2003, 12:06:00 PM »
I remember these from my days in St Pete.  The air conditioning was turned off and we would start exercising.  The sun would pound on the metal roof and pretty soon it would get very hot and humid.  Sometimes the fans were turned on and all that did was blow hot air around.  A staff would yell, "We're doing 200 jumping jacks...and if anyone gest out of line we're starting over..."  I can't tell you how many times 200 jumping jacks turned into 500 or more because a misbehaver decided to get out of synch with the rest of the group.  One of the worst parts was having to sit in sweaty clotes all day.  I grew up playing sports and never had a problem with jock itch until I came to Straight.

Offline Don Smith

• View Profile
    • http://straightincalumni.com
another bad thing
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2003, 01:07:00 PM »
By the way, I believe a lot of my lower back problems started while on Fifth phase. 10 hours a day is a long time to stand on a tile floor. We were never able to sit even for a minute. And to make matters worse, we were not allowed to enter the building without our tie on. Talk about annoying. Even if they had us cleaning the open meeting room, we were to wear ties.

I have never heard of having to wear a tie.  

When I was on 5th Phase I was suprized at how much pain I was in.  I worked cutting grass all day and so I naturally thought I would adjust to being on my feet on 5th Phase.  But when you have to stand in place for 2+ hours, that's was a different story.  I still can't stand in one place for very long.  I do pace back and forth when I'm on the phone.  I wonder what that's all about.

Don
t\'s not for me to question How God will provide for my needs. I only have to Know that He will.

Offline JDavid

• View Profile
    • http://www.myspace.com/moondiggum
another bad thing
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2003, 02:34:00 PM »
I went to Northside Hospital's mental ward twice while on first phase.  I was also in another place called Rapha for 2 months after I withdrew from Straight.  Both of those places had long hallways.  I paced those halls every chance I got... sometimes for a solid hour.  Everyone thought that's just part of why I was nuts and in a mental ward.  Yeah they were right.  I was nuts from being in Straight.