Author Topic: Story about AARC  (Read 4552 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Story about AARC
« on: December 02, 2004, 05:10:00 PM »
I'm a journalism student at SAIT and I'm writing a story about AARC for an assignment.  I'd like to talk to both pro and anti-AARC graduates, so if your interested, please email me at [email protected]

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Story about AARC
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2004, 06:56:00 PM »
Hello again
I've only gotten one reply, so I'm hoping that I'll get more if I post my questions on here. You can either answer them on this forum or email me, but I do need your (first and last) name in order to use your comments in my story. (My teacher and I are the only person who will know your name--it won't be published)

1. Do you believe that AARC helped you or harmed you? Why?
2. What are your opinions of the staff at AARC?
3. How seriously addicted were you when you entered AARC?
4. What is the best and the worst thing about AARC?
5. Are you still affiliated with AARC in any way?

Thanks

[email protected]

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Story about AARC
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2004, 09:49:00 PM »
What about those who weren't "addicted"
Why don't you ask about Charter violations based on the following?
 7. Everyone has the right to life, liberty and security of the person and the right not to be deprived thereof except in accordance with the principles of fundamental justice.
Search or seizure       8. Everyone has the right to be secure against unreasonable search or seizure.
Detention or imprisonment       9. Everyone has the right not to be arbitrarily detained or imprisoned.
Arrest or detention       10. Everyone has the right on arrest or detention

a) to be informed promptly of the reasons therefor;
    b) to retain and instruct counsel without delay and to be informed of that right; and
    c) to have the validity of the detention determined by way of habeas corpus and to be released if the detention is not lawful.

Proceedings in criminal and penal matters       11. Any person charged with an offence has the right

a) to be informed without unreasonable delay of the specific offence;
    b) to be tried within a reasonable time;
    c) not to be compelled to be a witness in proceedings against that person in respect of the offence;
    d) to be presumed innocent until proven guilty according to law in a fair and public hearing by an independent and impartial tribunal;
    e) not to be denied reasonable bail without just cause;
    f) except in the case of an offence under military law tried before a military tribunal, to the benefit of trial by jury where the maximum punishment for the offence is imprisonment for five years or a more severe punishment;
    g) not to be found guilty on account of any act or omission unless, at the time of the act or omission, it constituted an offence under Canadian or international law or was criminal according to the general principles of law recognized by the community of nations;
    h) if finally acquitted of the offence, not to be tried for it again and, if finally found guilty and punished for the offence, not to be tried or punished for it again; and
    i) if found guilty of the offence and if the punishment for the offence has been varied between the time of commission and the time of sentencing, to the benefit of the lesser punishment.

Treatment or punishment       12. Everyone has the right not to be subjected to any cruel and unusual treatment or punishment.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Story about AARC
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2004, 11:23:00 AM »
I don't really know what to say... I realize that my questions probably are "loaded"-- i'm asking people to tell me about (what some of you consider to be) a traumatic experience.  

I appreciate people taking the time to tell me about their experiences, but I'm not forcing anybody to answer my questions.

I'm not going to base my story on the Charter of Rights and Freedoms-- but if any of you are interested in telling me about your experiences and/or why you feel your rights and freedoms were violated, it would be very appreciated.

So far I've only been contacted by a pro-AARC grad, so I'm actually looking for someone who feels that AARC was a negative experience.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Story about AARC
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2004, 12:43:00 PM »
It would be if you go visit AARC yourself and interview EACH inmate IN PRIVATE.  And of course, you will never be allowed to do that because of the brainwashing.  Even David Suzuki's visit was set up to see only what AARC wanted him to see.  View Velvet's numerous posts and ask questions based on her experiences.  
  Are AARC parents aware that their children are being tortured with the EXACT methods deemed torture by the International Red Cross?

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/11/30/polit ... f=login&th

Red Cross Finds Detainee Abuse in Guantánamo
By NEIL A. LEWIS

Published: November 30, 2004

WASHINGTON, Nov. 29 - The International Committee of the Red Cross has charged in confidential reports to the United States government that the American military has intentionally used psychological and sometimes physical coercion "tantamount to torture" on prisoners at Guantánamo Bay, Cuba.
The finding that the handling of prisoners detained and interrogated at Guantánamo amounted to torture came after a visit by a Red Cross inspection team that spent most of last June in Guantánamo.
The team of humanitarian workers, which included experienced medical personnel, also asserted that some doctors and other medical workers at Guantánamo were participating in planning for interrogations, in what the report called "a flagrant violation of medical ethics."
Doctors and medical personnel conveyed information about prisoners' mental health and vulnerabilities to interrogators, the report said, sometimes directly, but usually through a group called the Behavioral Science Consultation Team, or B.S.C.T. The team, known informally as Biscuit, is composed of psychologists and psychological workers who advise the interrogators, the report said.
The United States government, which received the report in July, sharply rejected its charges, administration and military officials said.
The report was distributed to lawyers at the White House, Pentagon and State Department and to the commander of the detention facility at Guantánamo, Gen. Jay W. Hood. The New York Times recently obtained a memorandum, based on the report, that quotes from it in detail and lists its major findings.
It was the first time that the Red Cross, which has been conducting visits to Guantánamo since January 2002, asserted in such strong terms that the treatment of detainees, both physical and psychological, amounted to torture. The report said that another confidential report in January 2003, which has never been disclosed, raised questions of whether "psychological torture" was taking place.
The Red Cross said publicly 13 months ago that the system of keeping detainees indefinitely without allowing them to know their fates was unacceptable and would lead to mental health problems.
The report of the June visit said investigators had found a system devised to break the will of the prisoners at Guantánamo, who now number about 550, and make them wholly dependent on their interrogators through "humiliating acts, solitary confinement, temperature extremes, use of forced positions." Investigators said that the methods used were increasingly "more refined and repressive" than learned about on previous visits.
"The construction of such a system, whose stated purpose is the production of intelligence, cannot be considered other than an intentional system of cruel, unusual and degrading treatment and a form of torture," the report said. It said that in addition to the exposure to loud and persistent noise and music and to prolonged cold, detainees were subjected to "some beatings." The report did not say how many of the detainees were subjected to such treatment.
Asked about the accusations in the report, a Pentagon spokesman provided a statement saying, "The United States operates a safe, humane and professional detention operation at Guantánamo that is providing valuable information in the war on terrorism."
It continued that personnel assigned to Guantánamo "go through extensive professional and sensitivity training to ensure they understand the procedures for protecting the rights and dignity of detainees."
The conclusions by the inspection team, especially the findings involving alleged complicity in mistreatment by medical professionals, have provoked a stormy debate within the Red Cross committee. Some officials have argued that it should make its concerns public or at least aggressively confront the Bush administration.
The International Committee of the Red Cross, which is based in Geneva and is separate from the American Red Cross, was founded in 1863 as an independent, neutral organization intended to provide humanitarian protection and assistance for victims of war.
End of Article
So, going back to the three P's --the Prosecutor, the Policeman and the Psychologists who sent their kids to AARC we should of course add the Politicans.  So could the Four Horsemen of the Apocolypse be the four P's --- sure sounds like it me.

Your questions are otherwise entirely too superficial and based on questionable assumptions.  that beg an answer eg  

3. How seriously addicted were you when you entered AARC?

If people have been brainwashed into believing that they were indeed addicted, how do you expect them to have the insight to answer that question?

I read that 55% of Americans believe:
a) in Creationism
b) that Saddam Hussein had weapons of mass destruction
This is delusional thinking on a massive scale.  It is also the result of Journalists who don't ask the right questions.
The parents who get their kids into AARC are not asking the right questions and are, in my submission, delusional.

Ancient Chinese curse
"May you live in interesting times."
We do indeed live in intereting times and AARC is one aspect only of the massive deception that characterises this Brave New World

Oh, and by the way AARC is not the only institution in Alberta that uses these brainwashing methods,  There are more and some that may be far worse.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Story about AARC
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2004, 01:34:00 PM »
It is so horrible, evil and disasterous that
1. no news organization has uncovered the plot, probably due to the far reaching nature of the conspiracy
2. no law suit has been launched, even though close to 300 albertan families have been through treatment there (even the prisoners from Afghanistan and Iraq have sued the US gov.)
3. law enforcement ignores the "human rights abuses", as of course, they are part of the conspiracy
4. parents and prisoners of Kids of Bergen County who have seen the facility like what they see
5. AARC has flown under the radar of any NGO like the Red Cross that would investigate alleged abuses for 12 years despite huge fundraising events, articles in all media outlets and a discussion board where people make unsubstantiated claims - often people who were never clients! Sneaky buggers!

Offline velvet2000

• View Profile
Story about AARC
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2004, 02:16:00 PM »
1) News programs and a documentary have interviewed survivors of AARC and uncovered the "plot".
2) Lawsuits have been launched. One former Kids of Bergen County client did succeed in court however she accepted a gag order in settlement.
3) Much of law enforcement is ignoring the problem, however some are trying to investigate. Social services has been investigating on its own and has tried to reason with AARC by laying down new guidelines.
4)Parents and clients from "Kids" who associated with AARC while still programmed later left and now denounce it.
5)AARC is still being watched while officials decide what to do. I've spoken with everyone from ombudsman to child and youth care and everyone has agreed that AARC's process is wrong and something needs to be done, but the youth need to press criminal charges before movement can be made.

6) The solution is simply youth need to be informed of their rights and provided security (safe housing away from family who may still be involved with AARC) and connected with those who are able to properly guide them and/or represent them.

However the anonymous poster I am replying to is using a shining example of how AARC works. Keep saying the same thing over and over again despite the fact that it's not true, and maybe people will start repeating the mantra.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Story about AARC
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2004, 02:51:00 PM »
On 2004-12-04 11:16:00, velvet2000 wrote:

"1) News programs and a documentary have interviewed survivors of AARC and uncovered the "plot".
Do tell! That would be great to see! Which news programs and documentary are you referring to specifically?

2) Lawsuits have been launched. One former Kids of Bergen County client did succeed in court however she accepted a gag order in settlement.
I believe I was referring to AARC, not Kids

3) Much of law enforcement is ignoring the problem, however some are trying to investigate. Social services has been investigating on its own and has tried to reason with AARC by laying down new guidelines.
Really! And for more than 12 years of being allowed to operate, social services has yet to do any more than "reason" with AARC. Wow, AARC is powereful!

4)Parents and clients from "Kids" who associated with AARC while still programmed later left and now denounce it.
Really! I'd love to see that on tape or in writing!

5)AARC is still being watched while officials decide what to do. I've spoken with everyone from ombudsman to child and youth care and everyone has agreed that AARC's process is wrong and something needs to be done, but the youth need to press criminal charges before movement can be made.
After only a decade. I guess you wouldn't want to rush into anything! An of the hundreds of people who have been through the program, including you, none have pressed charges?

6) The solution is simply youth need to be informed of their rights and provided security (safe housing away from family who may still be involved with AARC) and connected with those who are able to properly guide them and/or represent them.
But I thought anti-AARC people were against safe house for youth like the PCHIP program? But you are for it for someone who leaves AARC? God knows we need to keep 15 year old prostitutes out on the streets!

However the anonymous poster I am replying to is using a shining example of how AARC works. Keep saying the same thing over and over again despite the fact that it's not true, and maybe people will start repeating the mantra.  "

Funny how when someone disagrees with you, they are "brainwashed" and "repeating the mantra". But I am ok if I repeat the Mantra "aarc is evil". Well, I am still waiting for someone to do something if AARC is so evil. Talk is cheap.

Offline Hamiltonf

• View Profile
Story about AARC
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2004, 03:28:00 PM »
Nobody ever said, as far as I can see that AARC was a conspiracy.  
Simply put, like any private organization that sees a "niche" for its "services", AARC has done a very good job of "selling" itself by appealing to fear and some of its clients' worst nightmares.  That makes it enterprising in much the same way as the Hard Christian Right and the Bushites have managed to seize power in the United States.  If 55% of Americans believe in Creation, that doesn't make them right, it makes them deluded.  If the inmates of AARC think they have been "saved" from a fate worse than death by a methodology of brainwashing that defies some of the most fundamental tenets of freedom of thought and association, that doesn't make them  free, it makes them prisoners.
It's not a conspiracy when the Chancellor of the University of Calgary, and MLA Marlene Graham come out in supprt of AARC.  They've been targetted, and they've succumbed to very skilled propaganda.  
You should read the history about a movement called "Moral Rearmament" which emerged prior to the 2nd  World War and how it supported Naziism.  They sucked in some very important people all around the world.
The parallels are significant --- the origins and methodology learned at Kids of North Jersey.
Everthing that I saw on the CBC & CTV broadcasts that featured AARC (even though David Suzuki was and continues to be "impressed" by AARC he's not a psychologist or a lawyer)convinces me that the pathway to hell is paved with good intentions.  And no matter what the good intentions of AARC'S  sponsors might be, it continues to be a process that, like the war in Fallujah is designed to destroy people in order to "save" them.

And when you say, "why haven't there been any lawsuits," consider this, given the immensity of the problems of evidence, the need for expert psychological evidence, the massive amount of disclosure that would be required who is going to bankroll a lawsuit that could cost in excess of $250.000.00 ?  
What lawyer would be able to accept a retainer of anything less than $1000.00 up front?  And considering that AARC has some of the most prominent lawyers in Calgary on it's payroll and is able to fundraise up to $6,000,000.00,  who, pray tell, is going to be able to face that?

Cockney song
"It's the same the whole world over...
It's the rich as gets the pleasure, and the poor as gets the blame"        
           [ This Message was edited by: Hamiltonf on 2004-12-04 13:38 ]
uote of the Year
The Bush administration has succeeded in making the United States one of the most feared and hated countries in the world. The talent of these guys is unbelievable. They have even succeeded at alienating Canada. I mean, that takes ge

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Story about AARC
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2004, 03:43:00 PM »
Sounds like you think you've got the answers to everything from---how to raise kids---design school programs--end war---pick the politically correct form of religion for everyone else---

Hey maybe you're one smart dude--or maybe you're a bagof real hot air,pissed that the world doesn't see fit to recognize how clever you are

I don't know for sure---but reading your posts I get the sense of an old flower child type hunkered down with her stash blissfully high, lamenting the world as it passes by---and hostile to anything like AARC that tries to help kids be real and motivated and succesful---well of course--- it's a personal assault on your life and world view

Offline Hamiltonf

• View Profile
Story about AARC
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2004, 04:43:00 PM »
Typical response.  I got a real chuckle from that red herring.
uote of the Year
The Bush administration has succeeded in making the United States one of the most feared and hated countries in the world. The talent of these guys is unbelievable. They have even succeeded at alienating Canada. I mean, that takes ge

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Story about AARC
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2004, 06:20:00 PM »
I'll weigh in too -
to paraphrase
"can't sue -it's too expensive"
"intelligent people aren't part of a conspiracy, but victims of skillful propaganda"
"David Suzuki (not a psychologist or lawyer - huh?)has good intentions, but sadly has been duped."

No proof of wrong doing. No vocal witnesses who will sign an affadavit. Allegations that sound like what REAL victims who went through at Kids and Straight.
Around 300 families who are pleased with the results - where is the evidence that says otherwise? People like my family - parents are psychologists. They were very pleased with the result - me! Happy, prosperous, father, husband, volunteer. But I guess we are an anomaly.

You mention the war in Iraq - I think you are still looking for weapons of mass destruction in AARC. Good luck!

Offline Hamiltonf

• View Profile
Story about AARC
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2004, 09:54:00 PM »
Your obvious ad hominem attacks do not detract from the harm done by AARC.  I personally know some of the intelligent people you speak of who are supporters of AARC, and would suggest they refer to Professor Barry Beyerstein's significant questions he raised in the most recent CBC program on the subject.  Also:
http://search.netscape.com/ns/boomframe ... ecklst.htm
and his comments on Straights certainly has to apply to AARC
http://search.netscape.com/ns/boomframe ... raight.htm
uote of the Year

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Story about AARC
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2004, 10:13:00 PM »
And here's what someone else has had to say:

I don't know. I do know that my parents paid religious fanatics to fix the problem child' in the early 80s in Ontario. I was over age and hadn't done anything criminal yet was in forced solitary as a private citizen. No free speech, no speech at all unless to praise jesus..now sober 13 years at the age of 39 im still recovering from being forced to forego my comfortable surroudings, endure being told I was wrong, premitted to go to a local school but not interact as I was being watched, no excercise, no TV limited reading material, hauled out of school and falsely accused of something I didn't do and forced to ride an excercise bike at a high gear until my confused mind twigged that maybe I should confess. How did I get there in the first place? Expelled from private school twice (2 different ones) for smoking cigarettes, drinking, drugs and I didn't even like dope and boys! Normal by today's standards. In consequence my inward fight to remain sane left me socially backward and withdrawn with booze being my only escape. I'm only just beginning to 'feel' now...all I can say is that everyone's response to a percieved 'bad' situation is different. Sure I'm on Zoloft and hate christians of the born again kind but there must be alternatives....for me I resented being disbelieved when in fact I was telling the truth. It still bugs me. I lash out at forced societal things like political correctness and false memory syndrome. I have PTSD and am still defrosting...

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Story about AARC
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2004, 11:03:00 AM »
On 2004-12-04 19:13:00, Anonymous wrote:

"And here's what someone else has had to say:

I don't know. I do know that my parents paid religious fanatics to fix the problem child' in the early 80s in Ontario. I was over age and hadn't done anything criminal yet was in forced solitary as a private citizen. No free speech, no speech at all unless to praise jesus..now sober 13 years at the age of 39 im still recovering from being forced to forego my comfortable surroudings, endure being told I was wrong, premitted to go to a local school but not interact as I was being watched, no excercise, no TV limited reading material, hauled out of school and falsely accused of something I didn't do and forced to ride an excercise bike at a high gear until my confused mind twigged that maybe I should confess. How did I get there in the first place? Expelled from private school twice (2 different ones) for smoking cigarettes, drinking, drugs and I didn't even like dope and boys! Normal by today's standards. In consequence my inward fight to remain sane left me socially backward and withdrawn with booze being my only escape. I'm only just beginning to 'feel' now...all I can say is that everyone's response to a percieved 'bad' situation is different. Sure I'm on Zoloft and hate christians of the born again kind but there must be alternatives....for me I resented being disbelieved when in fact I was telling the truth. It still bugs me. I lash out at forced societal things like political correctness and false memory syndrome. I have PTSD and am still defrosting..."

Was this about AARC? No.....