Author Topic: Reality according to mother  (Read 867 times)

Offline Carmel

• View Profile
Reality according to mother
« on: December 02, 2004, 02:03:00 PM »
I am curious if anyone else suffers from this parental woe.

My mother, over the years has developed a completely altered version of the past, present and possible future.  For lack of a better term, she makes alot of shit up.  I dont mean she lies per say, she truly beleives the things she talks about.  However, she rewrites history quite frequently.  

She tells me stories about my childhood to me that I know never happened.  Or she skews the events so badly that I have to correct her repeatedly.  She forgets constantly, and if you call her out in any conversation...she will proceed to completely re-route her story to fit yours.  That way I guess she thinks she can never actually be wrong.  Example:

I will tell her my opinion of something, she then tells me hers, I tell her I disagree with her, she then tries to convince me that what she meant was really exactly what I was saying.  She makes comments about things she remembers seeing a long time ago, that werent in existence.  She told me the other day she remebered when the house on the corner was being built.  Nevermind she didnt even live in this city when it was built, nor was I born yet.  But if you tell her she is wrong, she wont beleive you.  She tried to explain to me the other day why certain areas of town were being worked on and others not, talking about all kinds of construction and so forth.  SHE DOESNT EVEN LIVE HERE.  How the hell would she know.  I guess I can just tell when she is making shit up.  This coming from someone who cant even remember to get her keys out of the car before she locks it, at least twice a week.

All this along with the excuse that every bad decision she ever made is because either 1) No one told her differently and 2)Someone told her differently and is subsequently responsible for leading her astray.  Namely my father and stepfather.

There isnt one area of town she wasnt " looking to buy or invest in, but your DAD wouldnt let me, I would be a millionaire by now blah blah".  The worst is, when I talk to her about how things were for me when she was fucking up my life as a child....she actually rants on about how much she agrees with me, as if she werent a hair responsible for any one it.  I called her out the other day on that.  She kept talking about how she would yell at my stepfather about how bad he was and how their whole relationship was messed up, how she told him she was leaving him and so on.  I had to remind her that she NEVER ACTUALLY DID.  She shut up and acted all hurt.  

Anyone else observe this phenomenon in the family?

For the most part we inherit our opinions. We are the heirs of habits and mental customs. Our beliefs, like the fashion of our garments, depend on where we were born. We are molded and fashioned by our surroundings.
--Environment is a sculptor -- a painter.

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
...hands went up and people hit the floor, he wasted two kids that ran for the door....."
-Beastie Boys, Paul Revere

Offline GregFL

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2004, 02:15:00 PM »
Are you my sister?

:grin:
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline mental torture made me li

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2004, 07:07:00 PM »