Author Topic: Let's get this Blog Mobile together tear up the streets  (Read 1421 times)

Offline 85 Day Jerk

• View Profile
Let's get this Blog Mobile together tear up the streets
« on: November 12, 2004, 08:44:00 PM »
First of all, I don't know what the hell a Blog is.  It sounds like a huge chunk of that welfare baloney they have on sale at Winn Dixie.  Secondly, if it don't come on a pre made CD-rom disc I am screwed.

I am pretty sure that Verizon gave me some bandwith to do crap on, but without instructions I have no idea what I am doing.  I usually go online during the 6 to 7:30 pm newshour and can be reached thru Yahoo Messenger.  I will do this blog shit once I know how, but I personally dont have the energy to teach myself all this egghead computer stuff.  My Yahoo Messenger name is [email protected] or just plain chongo_spfl so you can send me instructional crap to get started on.  Right now I am cleaning out my file boxes and stuff so I will leave the pc on in hopes there is intelligent life out there that can walk me through this Blog stuff.

For those who have enjoyed my writing over the years, you are welcome.  I have always treasured being able to come in here and vent, and it is therapeudic for me in alot of ways.  If other survivors don't get anything from these boards, you are either trying to hard, or covering up.  We all went through the same experience, yet it all depended on the almighty dollar just how your program went.  We were all just a bunch of insects trapped in a hive.  Some were made Soldiers, while most remained Workers.  Some were made Queen while others became Mutant.  An unfortunate few were favored by staff and became Killers in order to perpetuate the cycle of abuse.  These traits were instilled in us and a brave few have struggled to regain their humanity through Counseling and Therapy and Understanding, while the tortured souls of the rest retain the mindset of the insects we all once were and fly in and out of here like a wasp trapped inside a kindergarten classroom, stinging the fuck out of anything that crosses their path.  See, if I knew this Blog crap I could include music and graphics.  If it can be done on a pc, let's rock!
I have a 533Mhz with 256Ram hooked up to limited drain DSL service that made it unscathed through 4 major hurricanes.  I don't have any problems with service.  I am completely in the dark so someone turn the damn light on please!!!
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
Inside a warehouse behind Tyrone Mall
we walked in darkness, kept hitting the wall.
I took the time to feel for the door,
I had been \"treated\" but what the hell for?

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2004, 08:53:00 PM »
Blogs are for you! They're cool as shit, really. It's basicaly a web form system (very much like this forum) where you can post articles, either of your own writing or commentary on other material, and invite comments.

I haven't looked into them in awhile. Couple of years, at least. But here's a good search on 'blogs tech support'.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=& ... ch+support

Just look around and see which one looks best and go for it. Believe me, it's well within your ability to set one up. If you need spare space, ask anyone you know. Most access accounts come w/ some free space and most people aren't using theirs.

I would definitely read your blog and be helpless not to pass along the best of it to friends.

Holler if you need anything (except for bandwidth, I'm over maxed out right now).

If they can get you to ask the wrong questions they don't have to worry about the answers

--Thomas Pynchon, Gravity's Rainbow (Proverbs for Paranoids)

10/80 - 10/82
Anonymity Anonymous
Some days, it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps.
"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2004, 09:53:00 PM »
85DJ,

You say you have some webspace so that may be a good place for you to start... Take a minute to peruse verizon's page and see if you can find something on there like "web publishing" or something like that. I just looked at their main page and didn't see much, but you might find something if you login..

Starting a webspace is usually as simple as clicking a few links to activate it, and maybe uploading a file named (by you) index.html to it.

At that point you'd want to download some FTP freeware and use it to start putting stuff on there.

Offline Froderik

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2004, 09:54:00 PM »
That was me...forgot to login.
See? If an idiot like me can do it, so can you. :lol:

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2004, 12:37:00 AM »
Yes, this is very, very true. And, truth be told, a blog is nothing more than a forum w/ different labels for the functions and slightly, very slightly different labels for viewing the content. But it's got something that forums haven't got; buzz.

Your free space, and that of your friends, is just dandy for storing the big byte content. But being listed as a blog is practically priceliss what with all the free publicity and all. The only other crucial ingredient is the ability to write in a way that draws the reader in. Either or both of you could do this, and so could a lot or others. I'd do it if I could take on another project, but I can't right now.

Understand that legal and illegal are political, and often arbitrary,
categorizations; use and abuse are medical, or clinical, distinctions.

--Abbie Hoffman

"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline Woof-a-Doof

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2004, 07:19:00 AM »
85DJ
A blog is simple, really. I use a blog site to archive my images ( http://woof-a-doof.blogspot.com/ ), and the simplicity is amazing. There are a few blog hosting sites out there, I use "blogger"

Go to http://www.blogger.com/start and follow the instruction, no html, no other coding need be done...simple.

You can post via e-mail, post directly, post by cell phone, post images and you can even post by phone and leave a "Voice Post" which is actually an mp3 of your message. I have an icon on my "Google Bar" that while viewing a site, I click the "B" button and that site addy is automatically posted to the blog.

All in all it's pretty simple and pretty robust..its the web site for those that dont have the time or desire to create thier own site....plus it's free!

Hope this helps!
What is right is not always popular...What is popular is not always right

Offline Scarstruck

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2004, 08:32:00 AM »
be sure and post the link to the blog for us sir...if you have any tech questions plz PM me and Ill be happy to help you out man ..
b] KATHY DAVID IS A CHILD MOLESTOR[/b]
\"You knew I was a snake when you picked me up\" ~S.S

Offline Froderik

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2004, 10:48:00 AM »
(In response to Woof-a-Doof)

Right, but he would still need a place to store those files, wouldn't he? A blog just links to things, doesn't it? Are you saying that they provide webspace?

Offline Froderik

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2004, 10:49:00 AM »
the ability to write in a way that draws the reader in.

Well, he's cedrtainly got that covered...

Offline Woof-a-Doof

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2004, 01:27:00 PM »
On 2004-11-13 07:48:00, froderik13 wrote:

"(In response to Woof-a-Doof)

Right, but he would still need a place to store those files, wouldn't he? A blog just links to things, doesn't it? Are you saying that they provide webspace?"

At the time I signed up for my blog with "blogspot" there were NO space restrictions/requirements and it came with a nifty lil program called "Hello" which will load image files up for ya. The "Hello" program is by a company called Picasso (sp) and can be likened to a FTP client...and if memory serves me correctly this is all under the "Google" name, so it is "Google" approved, for whats thats worth. Of course its been a few months since I set my blog up, it would never hurt to read the FAQ's and such on blogger.com just to be sure
What is right is not always popular...What is popular is not always right