Author Topic: YES CEDU IS BEING SUED BY 24 PLUS PARENTS?KIDS  (Read 17401 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
YES CEDU IS BEING SUED BY 24 PLUS PARENTS?KIDS
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2004, 10:30:00 AM »
It's been posted here - more than once - that he did NOT respond to a query as to how an ex-staffer would be legally protected. That's going to be a problem as far as getting ex-staff and ex-therapists to help, don't you think?

On 2004-11-18 15:53:00, Anonymous wrote:

"All the ex-CEDU therapists I hear about here are afraid to use their names--how are they going to appear in court?"
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2004, 05:49:00 PM »
Former Staff Therapists, Students, and aware parents Call Attorney, Todd Reed, at 208-263-3529
And ask to be summoned to testify against BCA, RMA - You saw the Abuse - I will see you there and back you up.
Just one of many therapists who was screwed for protecting kids from abuse and tyrants like LaTresa Pemp, Bill Brown and Marc Travelpiece.

Again ---- This is the Article:

Suits allege abuse at two schools
Private CEDU academies treat troubled teens
Kevin Taylor
Staff writer
October 29, 2004

More than two dozen parents and former students at Rocky Mountain Academy and Boulder Creek Academy ? two expensive private schools for troubled teens ? have filed four lawsuits claiming a pattern of neglect and abuse inflicted upon kids by staff or by other students running out of staffers' control.

The four lawsuits can be grouped into two categories, Todd Reed, attorney for the plaintiffs, said Thursday. Two of the suits recount allegations of misconduct and breach-of-contract issues from Boulder Creek Academy near Bonners Ferry in the mid- to late-1990s; the others concern students more recently enrolled at Rocky Mountain Academy, which is near Naples, Idaho. Boulder Creek typically houses 70 students. Rocky Mountain, which typically enrolls nearly 40 students, currently has 30.

Among the allegations listed in the lawsuits filed at the Bonner County Courthouse in Sandpoint:

--
One boy was forced to dig a grave, crawl into a coffin in the grave and have dirt thrown on it by staff.

--
A girl was called "fatty" by staff even as she was being counseled by other staffers for bulimia.

--
Another girl was called a "whore" and forced by staffers to wear a derisive sign advertising oral sex.

Another suit alleges a student at RMA was hazed, beaten and insulted constantly and with impunity by other students because staffers were not in the dormitories and didn't seem to care enough to stop the beatings when they did find out.

"We believe these allegations have no basis," Julia Andrick, marketing and communications director for CEDU Family of Services Inc., the parent company for both Rocky Mountain and Boulder Creek academies. "The charges are groundless and we are going to go ahead and litigate as appropriate."

Reed said the lawsuits focus on poor staffing levels, poorly trained staff and a lack of supervision that led to verbal and physical abuse.

"We are not asserting that all staff are bad at Rocky Mountain Academy ? my impression is that fine people work there," Reed said. "We are asserting there is a struggle between two differing thought processes ? the old CEDU and the new CEDU."

The old CEDU was verbally abusive, he said, while the newer approach "focuses more on the therapeutic process." The schism, Reed said, is problematic: "My concern is there is a lack of direction. From our perspective, the problem was RMA was going through school directors so quickly nothing has been consistent."

Andrick said Rocky Mountain Academy in September hired its third director in 10 months and fourth since 2001. She was unable to provide numbers on staff turnover, but did agree the approach at the schools has been changing in recent years because the students are changing.

Students at Rocky Mountain Academy today typically are dealing with drug or alcohol problems in addition to the types of behavioral or emotional issues ? "school failure, low self-esteem, families in turmoil" ? that drew students in the past, Andrick said.

More staffers are drug and alcohol counselors than in previous times when students were typically taken into the wilderness to either perform various tasks or suffer "natural consequences," Andrick said, citing the example of getting wet if a student re-fused to pitch a tent on a hiking trip.

"It's not a schism. It's been an evolution," she said. "We are changing with the times and changing with society's needs."

The lawsuits allege families typically pay $5,500 a month ? sometimes up to $16,000 for special six-week programs ? with promises from CEDU that their children are "cared for, taught and treated by high-quality staff."

The high price should not equate to students being forced to use scissors to cut large areas of lawn in July while dressed in winter clothing, be routinely told by staffers "your parents don't love you," or to suffer sexual assaults from other students while staffers, according to the court papers, did nothing.

CEDU is no stranger to such lawsuits. In November 2002, the company paid a $300,000 settlement to two former students who had alleged CEDU hired poorly trained, abusive staff. The students said the situation was what led to a student riot at Rocky Mountain Academy in 1997. Five students and staffers were injured in the riot.

Reed said a second lawsuit against CEDU in North Idaho also was settled, but the amount of the award has been sealed.

"You pay outrageous amounts of money and send your kid to a location where it is represented that your child is safe," Reed said, "And instead your child is exposed to alcohol and drugs and sex at that location, and couple that with abusive actions directed at children by staff," showing that the academy staffers were poorly trained and supervised, he said.

"We keep detailed records on students and their activities and therapy and counseling and academic records," Andrick said. "We do have information and we do feel these are groundless lawsuits. It's sad, but we will battle it out in court."

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2004, 07:23:00 PM »
anybody want to know who how and why they were taught to do what they do

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2004, 03:02:00 AM »
Okay - so how do you answer the issue raised that Todd WOULD NOT assure me that I would be legally protected if I testify. I want NO money. Understand what I am saying - HE WOULD NOT RESPOND! It causes me to question how much I can trust him. CEDU is rich and powerful. I don't need ANY problem with them! I almost had PTSD from working there. So, I would like to help, but count me out!

On 2004-11-21 14:49:00, Anonymous wrote:

"Former Staff Therapists, Students, and aware parents Call Attorney, Todd Reed, at 208-263-3529

And ask to be summoned to testify against BCA, RMA - You saw the Abuse - I will see you there and back you up.

Offline CEDU IS A CULT

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2004, 10:56:00 AM »
Some of us are willing to put our ass on the line to help the innocent.  You should never have been a therapist in the first place, because you are not one of those people.

COUNT ME IN!!! (310)756-4534

Offline blownawaytheidahoway

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2004, 11:10:00 AM »
Bryan, even though we have never met you know who I am. I shared that with you because I respect your need for absolute honesty...about everything. I try to be the same. But I wouldnt' put my real name on here and it's not just because of RMA. As a matter of fact, I think by putting my name here I would be able to help generate a larger pool of testimonials from "legit" ex students who want to talk about their experience whatever it was. And I want to do that. It's the other part of the privacy issues raised that I hesitate. Reed knows who I am and I urge him to stay in touch with me. I am still working on my own strategies and for that right now I need anonymity. Also if time tells, I will know based on the experiences I have posted and my opinions of some of these deplorable players whether fornits/ or the internet itself, is to be trusted with personal information. Thanks again for that Cedu. It's deep and we'll do that later... but also with the few people I have been in contact with from this site, to know that there is the reciprocity of respect and time...
I can certainly be counted on to give publicly a testimonial of my experience during those YEARS and also written form. I'm not scared of CEDU, I'm scared of fanatical cultists.
Life is a very wonderful thing.\' said Dr. Branom... \'The processes of life, the make- up of the human organism, who can fully understand these miracles?... What is happening to you now is what should happen to any normal healthy human organism...You are being made sane, you are being made healthy.
     \'That I will not have, \' I said, \'nor can understand at all. What you\'ve been doing is to make me feel very very ill.\'
                         -Anthony Burgess
                      A Clockwork Orange

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2004, 01:15:00 PM »
On 2004-11-23 08:10:00, blownawaytheidahoway wrote:

Also if time tells, I will know based on the experiences I have posted and my opinions of some of these deplorable players whether fornits/ or the internet itself, is to be trusted with personal information.

In a word, no. The net in general and this forum in particular are very, very public places. You see a lot of very private, personal information thrown around here and there. But it's entirely up to the individual what you want to divulge. So if you have your reasons for keeping anonymous, please ignore any leftover pressure to divulge, it is completely invalid, even if it makes some others uncomfortable at time (sometimes, especially so!).

The line separating good and evil passes not through states, nor between classes, nor between political parties either, but right through every human heart.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0060007761/circlofmiamithem' target='_new'>Alexander Solzhenitsyn

"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline CEDU IS A CULT

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2004, 07:01:00 PM »
Just for others information.  Yes, me and Blownaway know who eachother are, and we've formed some trust, I believe.

Man, I don't say these things to pressure you or anyone.  I've placed my true name and number on this site deliberately, in hopes that by doing so it would help others to get over the fear of that place.  You know that.

Some of us have very good reasons to remain anonymous.  Some of these reasons may even be because of some of the psychos that were there with us.  Of course I understand that.

I'm just in a position right now, where I don't need to fear anything that CEDU or its affiliates could do.  There is nothing they could do to harm me without harming themselves.

Take care, my friend and give me a call any time.   Time to get Selasie Eyed.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2004, 09:21:00 PM »
Look, Annymous,

How many times do I have to say it?
Staff or not--You don't need legal protection.
You can't be punished for giving court testamony.
By doing so you are doing your civil duty.
You can't be sued, harassed or punished for testifying in court.

I will no longer respond to any more people who just don't get it no matter how many times you explain it.
aaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhh
Max

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2004, 10:05:00 PM »
Max who? did you go to BCA?

Offline Polarbear

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 24, 2004, 01:25:00 AM »
Hey yall, been gone a while but it looks like you have been very busy.  I was surprised to hear RMA was down to 30 students.  WOW!  Times have changed since 93'.  Prior to the funny farm opening up there must have been a couple hundred of us there.  
Just out of curiousity, has anyone checked into the statute of limitations and how it relates to your case?  
Enjoy-Polarbear

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 24, 2004, 06:50:00 PM »
Um... gee, Anonymous Max. I didn't see your response before. Really. Missed it. You can understand how I would freak out when he responded to my first email offering to help and then did not respond to TWO followup queries regarding protection. Don't mean to aggravate you, man, but you can understand how this would cause concern!

Jon

On 2004-11-23 18:21:00, Anonymous wrote:

"Look, Annymous,

How many times do I have to say it?

Staff or not--You don't need legal protection.

You can't be punished for giving court testamony.

By doing so you are doing your civil duty.

You can't be sued, harassed or punished for testifying in court.

I will no longer respond to any more people who just don't get it no matter how many times you explain it.

aaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhh

Max

"

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 26, 2004, 07:27:00 PM »
We need your help exposing abues call Todd Reed

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 29, 2004, 04:33:00 PM »
Antibody says: I don't even know who you are let alone what you are talking about.

My advice: Realize - nothing is about you. It's about CEDU

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 29, 2004, 04:44:00 PM »
I would love to be a part of the lawsuit against CEDU.  But if you know anything about the law you know that the moment you open your mouth you become a target for a counter suit.  That is the way the game is played.  

If I had the money to defend myself against what would suredly be an long, expensive battle, I would do it in a heartbeat.