Author Topic: 14 Year old Dies at THAYER LEARNING CENTER  (Read 71823 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
14 Year old Dies at THAYER LEARNING CENTER
« Reply #405 on: March 23, 2005, 10:02:00 AM »
What about the dalmation puppies?  :lol:
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile

Offline TLCNOMORE

• View Profile
« Reply #407 on: March 23, 2005, 01:31:00 PM »
You people aren't funny with your Cruella and your puppy jokes. And further more if she does decide to leave her child there you, the ones of you who treated her like shit just for coming on the forum for advice can thank yourselves for pushing her away. Thayer is very nice to parents and you people treat those same parents like shit. Figure it out. Who would you listen to and have faith in. The one who is being nice to you or the one who is treating you like shit? I'm a parent so I know how convincing Thayer can be. Yeah It's a big manipulation but if you don't know them and what they're doing you don't have a clue that they are lying. And there's you people talking mean to this woman. You just pushed her right into the arms of the devil so to speak. Congradulations! I think whoever you are that asked about Cruella has a lot of nerve. You're probably one of the ones who pushed her away. Well BRAVO everybody. Another child probably not saved. Some of you might try softening up your approach with people or saying nothing at all. Thayer tells people that everybody on this forum is either a disgruntled ex fired employee or a pissed off parent who took their kid out early and the program didn't work for their kid because they didn't complete the program. This is what I was told by many different people at Thayer when I asked about fornits and why all these people would be saying these things. I have to admit that I was confused by the conflicting stories. Well it's a lucky thing that I never posted on here before I took Julia out of Thayer because I'm pretty sure if you people would have treated me the way you treated Cruella I would have gotten my feelings really hurt, not believed you maybe even believed Thayer and never came on the forum again. Who knows. Julia might even still be there had I got comments from some of you before I went there. Go ahead and get mad at me all you want because I could care less about what you think of my bluntness. You need to hear it again. Everybodies goal is to save the kids from hell but just remember honey gets you a lot more than vinegar. Pia

Offline terrified_mother

• View Profile
« Reply #408 on: March 27, 2005, 05:46:00 AM »
I've had a Google news alert set up for Thayer since last August and this article did not appear in any alert.  Perhaps you have not seen it either.
 Posted on Sun, Jan. 23, 2005

Referral agency's connection to boot camp angers parents

By STEVE ROCK

The Kansas City Star

Several parents who sent their troubled teens to Thayer Learning Center in northwest Missouri were referred to the school by what they thought was an independent agency.

In fact, the Parent Help referral service is operated by the same people who run Thayer, a military-style boot camp where a 15-year-old California boy recently died. The death triggered a state investigation and prompted former students and employees to come forward with allegations of physical and emotional abuse of students.

The connection between the two businesses, less than 15 miles apart, angered several parents who spoke recently with The Kansas City Star. They said the relationship was never disclosed during conversations with Parent Help employees.

?I was very emotional and desperate in a way,? said Vicki Young of Ohio, who sent her son to Thayer in July 2003. ?And I thought this was a parent help group.

?I didn't have any hint they were related.?

A leading business ethicist said the relationship between the two businesses is clearly a conflict of interest, while a child welfare agency official said such a connection is not uncommon, but should have been disclosed.

Three former employees of Parent Help told The Star they were coached to send as many children as possible to Thayer. Two of those former employees said they never disclosed to callers that husband and wife John and Willa Bundy ran both businesses, and one of them said a fellow staff member said not to mention it.

The Bundys ? who opened Thayer Learning Center Boot Camp and Boarding School in Kidder, Mo., in 2002 ? have offices at the Parent Help building in Gallatin, Mo., according to former Parent Help employees.

The Bundys declined to take questions from The Star, referring inquiries to their attorney, Ed Proctor. Proctor didn't respond to several messages left with his office.

But Wally Kerr, sales manager at Parent Help, said Thayer is one of about 15 facilities nationwide that Parent Help represents. The Parent Help Web site last week listed eight in addition to two Thayer programs. Kerr said no greater emphasis is placed on sending kids to Thayer than to other schools.

?We try to get the best program possible for (the children),? he said in a telephone interview.

When asked whether Parent Help employees disclose the connection between Parent Help and Thayer to parents, Kerr said they only refer them to Thayer's Web site. The disclosure, Kerr said, ?comes through having them look at the Web site.?

Separate Web sites for Thayer and for Parent Help include an identical section describing the Bundys as the owner of each. Each site briefly mentions the Bundys' connection to the other business.

Some of the parents contacted by The Star, however, either don't remember being sent to Thayer's Web site or never saw the mention of Parent Help.

?We're proud of the fact that the Bundys have established a school and that they've established a parent help operation,? Kerr said. ?There's nothing to hide here.?

One parent said she called the Missouri attorney general's office to complain that there wasn't full disclosure but was told to put her complaint in writing. Scott Holste, a spokesman for that office, said the Consumer Protection Division hadn't received any formal, written complaints about Parent Help. His office would look into any complaints lodged, he said.

Thayer, located about 50 miles north of Kansas City, houses about 100 teens.

At the request of the Caldwell County sheriff's office, the Missouri Department of Social Services is investigating the November death of Thayer student Roberto Reyes to determine if abuse or neglect was involved. Gus Kolilis, deputy director of the department's legal division, said an investigative team has interviewed ?numerous? people.

?We're not leaving anything unturned,? he said.

No charges have been filed in connection with Reyes' death. Caldwell County Prosecutor Jason Kanoy said he was awaiting results from the state investigation, which could come as early as this week, before deciding whether his office would take any action. After Reyes' death, a panel of county and state officials charged with reviewing child deaths said earlier medical treatment ?may have prevented this fatality.? The Jackson County medical examiner's office said the probable cause of death was a spider or insect bite.

The review by county and state officials ? coupled with police reports and allegations made by former students and employees ? painted a disturbing picture of life at Thayer.

A Dec. 19 story in The Star cited police reports and interviews with seven former Thayer employees and students that alleged physical and emotional abuse of students, such as one being forced to eat her own vomit, medical neglect and another student being forced to sit in a tub of urine.

In a written response to The Star in December, Thayer officials called the allegations ?ludicrous and false.?

Since the story was published, at least two children have been removed from Thayer by their parents.

Now some parents are raising questions about the manner in which their children wound up at Thayer in the first place.

Parent Help hot line

Some former Parent Help employees said they were reluctant to publicly discuss their experience there because they fear legal retribution from John and Willa Bundy.

Thayer Learning Center has filed at least one lawsuit against former Thayer employees, alleging defamation and other things.

But conversations with three former Parent Help employees, as well as relatives of six children who have been at the school, offered insight into the placement process.

Several parents said they found the Parent Help hot line number on the Internet. John Bundy is listed on an online site that registers Web domains as the administrative contact for several sites, such as http://www.troubledteen.com and http://www.teenprogram.info. Neither of those sites clearly identifies their connection with the Bundys or Thayer Learning Center, but both sites mention Thayer as a ?featured school.?

Both of those sites, and others, encourage parents to call the same 800 number. One parent said she called the number, then never went back to the Internet to do further research.

?Why would I?? the parent asked. ?Parent Help said so many wonderful things about Thayer.?

The 800 number is answered by employees at the office in Gallatin, in a building that has no obvious signs identifying Parent Help. Kerr said the business, which has about six employees, gets from 50 to 150 calls a day and additional inquiries via e-mail.

The employees who answer calls to the 800 number are not counselors, two of the former employees said, but salesmen who get commission for placing students at Thayer or other facilities. They ask the parents, many of whom are distraught about their child's behavior, various questions about the child and tell them they'll find the facility that best fits him or her.

According to the former employees, though, the Parent Help representative recommends Thayer, where costs can exceed $50,000 a year, to as many parents as possible.

?If you called and your kid was over 12, I was sending you to Thayer,? said one former employee who did not want to be identified.

Matthew Turley, who said he worked for Parent Help from July to October 2004, said: ?You would try to put the kid into Thayer, or suggest that one over any other one.?

Turley said he never felt awkward pushing Thayer.

?To me, it never felt like I was trying to keep something under wraps,? he said. ?I just felt that Thayer was one of the better ones ? from what I heard.?

Besides, both he and Kerr said, not every child is sent to Thayer. There are some children ? those younger than 13 and older than 17, for example ? that Thayer typically won't take.

So some kids are sent to places such as Bonneville Canyon in Maine.

?They have been very good to us,? Michelle Tibbetts, who works in admissions for Bonneville Canyon, said of her organization's relationship with Parent Help. Tibbetts said she was unaware of the connection between Thayer and Parent Help.

Kerr said employees aren't coached to send kids to Thayer but ?to get them into the correct program.?

?We don't follow a script,? he said.

As far as the connection between Parent Help and Thayer, Turley said that unless asked specifically, ?we would never tell (the parents) that.?

That infuriates W. Michael Hoffman, executive director of the Center for Business Ethics at Bentley College near Boston.

?I've heard of a lot of conflicts of interest, but this is way over the top,? he said. ?To say the least, it's clearly unethical ? especially when you're dealing with children, children who obviously need help.?

Joe Healy, director of residential services for the Child Welfare League of America, based in Washington, D.C., said it's not uncommon for agencies to operate a referral center and a placement facility.

?For those that do, it would be typical that it's clear to everybody that they do both and that the referral might be to one of their own programs,? Healy said. ?It would seem to me, ethically, that you would disclose that.?

Angry families

All Young wanted to do was help her son, now 18.

Her teenage son had become defiant, and Young wanted a military-type school for him, a structured and regimented environment that also had an educational component.

Young scoured the Internet, eventually finding the Parent Help Web site, which states: ?We help parents with troubled teens.? She filled out a questionnaire and waited for a phone call, which she believed would be from an independent referral service.

The person who returned her call recommended Thayer.

?He said he had actually been to that facility to see what it was all about and that he was very impressed,? Young remembers. ?He said there were several programs, but specifically recommended Thayer Learning Center.?

Based on the recommendation, Young and her husband drove their son from Ohio to Thayer in July 2003.

The grandmother of a different child also didn't realize there was a connection between Thayer and Parent Help. Jacqueline Payne, a Texas resident, desperately wanted to help her granddaughter. She found the Parent Help hot line number on the Internet and said she spoke with a Parent Help employee at least five or six times.

Not once did the connection between Thayer and Parent Help come up.

?I was real specific about what I wanted,? Payne said. ?He just said, ?It sounds like Thayer is the school you want.' He really talked them up and said the owner, Willa Bundy, had a lot of experience with kids. It sounded like the perfect match.

?There was never, ever any indication that they weren't an independent company. There was a curtain of dishonesty there.?

Payne's granddaughter was at Thayer for less than four months in 2003.

Parent Help Inc. was registered in Utah in February 1998. John Bundy, 47, is listed as the registered agent in Utah secretary of state filings. Thayer Learning Center LLC was registered in Missouri in August 2002, and lists Willa Bundy, 43, as the registered agent.

Ricky Parker wishes he knew about the connection between the two facilities before he sent his son to Thayer in November 2003. The Parent Help representative he spoke with pushed Thayer ?the whole way,? he said.

?I thought I was talking to an organization that would help me choose, out of maybe several schools, where to send my child,? said Parker, who removed his son in January 2004. ?It was like, ?Hey, man, I worked there for a time. They really know what they're doing. They're very caring.'

?I thought they were advising me.?

His thoughts now?

?I'm out about $20,000,? he said.

To reach Steve Rock, call

(816) 234-4338 or send e-mail to [email protected].

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

First glance

? A northwest Missouri military-style boot camp and a referral agency that recommends the school are run by the same people.

? Some parents who sent their children to Thayer Learning Center are angry because they thought the referral was coming from an independent agency.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Finding the right fit

Ruth Ehresman, policy director of Citizens for Missouri's Children, a nonprofit child advocacy group based in St. Louis, says parents need to ask tough questions when looking for a home for their troubled teen.

If dealing with a referral service, ask whether the service has any

affiliations with the schools it represents. When dealing directly with the facility, Ehresman suggests asking questions such as:

? Is the school credentialed, licensed or accredited? If so, by whom?

? Are staff screened? What kind of training is required of staff?

? Is there a written discipline policy?

? What's the provision for medical care?

Offline terrified_mother

• View Profile
« Reply #409 on: March 27, 2005, 05:56:00 AM »
This evening I Yahoo searched Thayer, what I found is troubling.  The first 2 pages of site results are owned by the Bundys.  A few newspaper articles show up at around the 100 hit marker.  The first hit for the Fornits Forum is at 184 and it dumps you at the search page.  The second hit for Fornits is at 239 and it dumps you into the Straight Inc topic titled Candace's Law dated 2001-12-24.  I searched past the 500 marker on Yahoo and did not see a hit for http://www.ISACCORP.COM.  If anyone has a suggestion as to how one might go about getting the truth on top of the pile I'd like to hear it.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #410 on: March 27, 2005, 07:39:00 AM »
On 2005-03-27 02:56:00, terrified_mother wrote:

"This evening I Yahoo searched Thayer, what I found is troubling.  The first 2 pages of site results are owned by the Bundys.  A few newspaper articles show up at around the 100 hit marker.  The first hit for the Fornits Forum is at 184 and it dumps you at the search page.  The second hit for Fornits is at 239 and it dumps you into the Straight Inc topic titled Candace's Law dated 2001-12-24.  I searched past the 500 marker on Yahoo and did not see a hit for http://www.ISACCORP.COM.  If anyone has a suggestion as to how one might go about getting the truth on top of the pile I'd like to hear it."

For a start, use a better search engine.  A Google on "thayer learning center" brings up ezboard at 2, nospank at 3, Fornits at 5, Kansas City Star at 6, National Youth Rights Association at 8, the8thstep at 11, ISAC at 18, and HEAL at 23.

I have noticed that search engines seem to pay a lot of attention to the contents of the title bar and headings.  One thing Ginger might do if she has got the time and inclination is put the topic in the title bar and sub topic in heading tags.  My bet is it will make the relevant Fornits posts a lot more findable.

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
« Reply #411 on: March 27, 2005, 02:03:00 PM »
On 2005-03-27 04:39:00, Anonymous wrote:

One thing Ginger might do if she has got the time and inclination is put the topic in the title bar and sub topic in heading tags. My bet is it will make the relevant Fornits posts a lot more findable.

That's a really good idea! I don't know if I can pull it off easily or not. I'll just have to go and see how complicated it will be to grab that data before building the page header. If I remember right, I took a stab at it once and found it to be non-trivial. But maybe I've learned a trick or two in the mean time.

Here's another idea. Please feel free to copy and paste any and all content that you find relavent all over the net w/ links back (to here, to ISAC to one of the lists of Maia Szalavitz's writings or to whatever you want to promote)

And you're right about the search engines. I quit using Yahoo years ago. As soon as they started charging for guaranteed listings, the signal/noise ratio just started to hit the skids.

But then, I think it reflects on the mentality of someone who would buy into the troubled parent industry. I think you have to want to be sold, or be predisposed to buy into bullshit.

Reminds me of the bad old days when I was so desperate for a paycheck that I spent my days and evenings trying to sell people pre-need funeral arrangements. It was never about good taste or even common decency. There's no good way to call up a stranger and say "Hey, Mr. Jones, would you like to put down that pork chop and plan your funeral right now?" It's just a numbers game and, believe it or not, about 1/100 will say "Sure, why not?" regardless of what you're selling.

Not a place upon earth might be so happy as America. Her situation is remote from all the wrangling world, and she has nothing to do but to trade with them.
--Thomas Paine

"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
« Reply #412 on: March 27, 2005, 02:34:00 PM »
It was right there all the time! It's a little inelegant, as I just ditched the page title entirely (overly long titles make google suspicious) so, if we've got a topic, it's there, otherwise it's not.

Thanks! Oh, if you have any more bright ideas, please send email or post to the "Web Forum Hosting" forum, as I may or may not find it in a discussion thread.

Thanks again!

A student burst into his office.  "Professor Stigler, I don't believe I deserve this F you've given me."  To which Stigler replied, "I agree, but unfortunately it is the lowest grade the University will allow me to award."
--Professor Stigler

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #413 on: April 04, 2005, 09:27:00 PM »
I just wanted to make sure no one has forgotten what a terrible place Thayer is.  The physical abuse and the mental abuse which is so much worse.  Several children have nightmares in the middle of the night wake up crying and standing at attention in their sleep.  What horrible people could possibly do this to a child and feel good about themselves.  I guess the Bundy's, they've made a living at it.

DON'T FORGET ROBERTO REYES !!!!

REST IN PEACE AND GODD BLESS

Offline Mrs. Doubtfire

• View Profile
« Reply #414 on: April 05, 2005, 02:37:00 PM »
I have to admit I too am stunned... as soon as Ginger gave Thayer a dedicated site, everyone disappeared.  The Bundy's must be thrilled; hell, no wonder people like that win at terrorizing our children.

Two of the saddest words in the English language are ignorance and apathy. Apparently it has reached epidemic proportions here.

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
« Reply #415 on: April 05, 2005, 05:36:00 PM »
I'm really upset about this too. I thought I was doing something helpful here, but it seems I've not done that.

No laws, however stringent, can make the idle industrious, the thriftless provident, or the drunken sober
--Samuel Stiles

Offline Cayo Hueso

• View Profile
« Reply #416 on: April 05, 2005, 05:50:00 PM »
On 2005-04-05 14:36:00, Antigen wrote:

"I'm really upset about this too. I thought I was doing something helpful here, but it seems I've not done that.

No laws, however stringent, can make the idle industrious, the thriftless provident, or the drunken sober
--Samuel Stiles

"

Not quite sure why you would attribute that to anything you've done, but give it time.  Like anything else around here, it all comes out in the wash.

Government operates best when it allows all messengers to offer their views, allowing the American people to decide which take root and which wither away.
--Harold Furchtgott-Roth, member of the Federal Communications Commission

t. Pete Straight
early 80s

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #417 on: April 06, 2005, 04:21:00 AM »
This is just a guess but if lawsuits are being prepared it could be that the lawyers have told their clients to hold their peace.  They might want to keep their powder dry.

Offline tlcrescue

• View Profile
« Reply #418 on: April 06, 2005, 10:25:00 AM »
It has nothing to do with lawsuits.  I don't know why it has quieted down.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #419 on: April 15, 2005, 01:55:00 PM »
maybe because people have realized theres nothin you can do?I've been working at this since DEC 2003, and STILL nothing has happened, so I guess I'm just going to give up.I just stop in here like once a week now.