Author Topic: i feel like im going crazy  (Read 6986 times)

Offline velvet2000

• View Profile
i feel like im going crazy
« Reply #30 on: November 25, 2004, 05:25:00 PM »
Good to see you respond.

If you are not an addict or alcoholic (like I said before, I don't know you so I won't make any judgements) then what will probably happen with your life is this scenario: As the years go by and you adjust to "normal" society again you'll shed all of the things that AARC taught you. You won't feel like an outsider looking in all the time. You won't feel passionate about sobriety OR alcoholism, because neither of those things apply to you. If your family understands that AARC is not benefiting you and you have moved on in your life from it, then they will over time also forget about AARC's ways, especially after they see you consecuitively thriving without it. There will inevitably be a time period however where they worry that you are not spending enough time with AARC people or at meetings etc. That's when you need to show them the non AARC people who are strength in your life, and the positive ways that you are spending your time.

In the meantime you are very much in recovery, because you're deffinately recovering from a traumatic event. Fill your apartment with the things and people who make you happy. Do you feel overwhelmed easily? If you're still dealing with depression then you probably do. Most of us do after AARC. AARC people handle this by constantly "spilling". Others can go off the deepend without help. If you need to take baby steps, take baby steps. Cut out anything that is unecessary stress.

I'd just like to say something that I was thinking about recently. When I was in AARC I spent a lot of time during raps, or before falling asleep at night, thinking about all of the wonderful things I would be doing if I weren't there. A lot of those fantasies were simply waking up in my own apartment and enjoying coffee while looking out the window, or sleeping in, or anything that involved having time to NOT be rushed and just enjoy the moment. The other night I was front row at a concert for a band who's CD was not AARC approved and taken away from me until graduation (it diddn't have drug refferences, they'd just never heard of the band. I cried to a peer about it at the .... aww!). I thought at the time about how great it was that lately I've been able to enjoy all of the things I dreamed about back then. For a while I lost all of those little things that I loved to do. So my question to you and every other AARC survivor, are you taking advantage of your freedom? Do you remember how wonderful it is to have it, like the way you felt the day after you graduated when you slept in and called all of your friends?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline JessicaM

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 26, 2004, 10:03:00 AM »
Yes Velvet, I am definitely enjoying my freedom.  It's true sometimes you can forget what it was like.  Occassionally I read through old journals from when I was in aarc and it reminds me of how my mind wasn't my own and makes me so grateful for the freedom within my own mind...

Offline Polarbear

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 27, 2004, 08:17:00 AM »
"Yeah, it took them a good 4 hours to break me down and get me to sign, too. I didn't believe the 'two week evaluation' lie, but I did believe they could get a 2 year court order and that I could get out faster than that by one way or another.

I would determine addiction in a child or adult by observing physical withdrawal symptoms. And I would suggest treatment by a licensed medical professional who would come up w/ a plan for withdrawal or maintainance. Also, lots of accurate education about the drug to which they're addicted and the withdrawal methods and drugs from a variety of sources.

But locking someone down w/ a bunch of zealots who think teenagers who try different fashions, make new friends and need privacy like a toddler needs their binker are all addicts and who 'treat' this alleged addiction through shaming and isolation is just .... medieval."
-Antigen

Antigen- I gotta say, the more I read what you write, even when I disagree with you, I'm impressed by how well you do it. :smile:  I think you're right on this one.  The official symptoms, at least here in the US, can easily be construed as the normal angst and awkwardness of growing up IN the US.  I was tested and re-tested growing up.  They made all sorts of guesses about my problems as a 13 year old.  But the problem with observing something is that you tend to change it by observing it.  I was no exception.  For the original author of this thread I can only add my opinion.

I'm sorry you feel bad.  It sounds like you're carrying a lot of weight on your shoulders.  I bet you're not that dull.  Maybe you should pursue what interests you.  You may not relate to the people you used to know, but by doing what interests you you will find new people who share those interests.  You may be at a point where you're moving beyond them and haven't replaced them yet.  
I have a wide variety of interests and hobbies.  I pursue them and I talk about them and other people respond.  I've discovered some of the most interesting people in the world just through my interest in fine tobacco.
Enjoy-Polarbear

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 11, 2004, 11:31:00 AM »
http://www.aarc.ab.ca/

MOST of these "symptoms" are normal teenage behavior but if you see FOUR of these in your child you MUST need AARC. :roll:  :roll:

Our mission is to successfully treat adolescents and their families suffering from the disease of alcoholism and/or drug addiction, through a cost-effective, research-based, clinically validated treatment model, and to provide current, relevant information and perspectives on adolescent chemical dependency to as many individuals and institutions as possible throughout our community.

research based, clinically validated treatment model[/b]????????  I'd like to see those stats!!!!!!

Offline Anne Bonney

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 14, 2007, 05:32:50 PM »
:o
traight, St. Pete, early 80s
AA is a cult http://www.orange-papers.org/orange-cult.html

The more boring a child is, the more the parents, when showing off the child, receive adulation for being good parents-- because they have a tame child-creature in their house.  ~~  Frank Zappa

Offline Anne Bonney

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 14, 2007, 06:09:37 PM »
Quote from: ""Guest""

MOST of these "symptoms" are normal teenage behavior but if you see FOUR of these in your child you MUST need AARC. :roll:  :roll:

Our mission is to successfully treat adolescents and their families suffering from the disease of alcoholism and/or drug addiction, through a cost-effective, research-based, clinically validated treatment model, and to provide current, relevant information and perspectives on adolescent chemical dependency to as many individuals and institutions as possible throughout our community.

research based, clinically validated treatment model[/b]????????  I'd like to see those stats!!!!!!

Our mission is to convince as many parents as possible that they child is ADDICTED and will DIE unless they receive my special brand of "treatment".  Never mind I received my training from a convicted child abuser who now owes millions of $$$ in judgements to victims.  Never mind that I have a phony degree from the same diploma mill as my fellow bullshit artist, Miller Newton.  Never mind that we use the same treatment methods taht got Newton's programs shut donw for abuse.  Every single one.

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

:roll:
traight, St. Pete, early 80s
AA is a cult http://www.orange-papers.org/orange-cult.html

The more boring a child is, the more the parents, when showing off the child, receive adulation for being good parents-- because they have a tame child-creature in their house.  ~~  Frank Zappa