Author Topic: Alternatives to Behavior Modification Facilities- The Educat  (Read 2507 times)

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
Alternatives to Behavior Modification Facilities- The Educat
« on: October 14, 2004, 12:03:00 PM »
I?m going to put on the Ed Con hat for a moment and share some valuable information for parents who are searching for an alternative for their unhappy kids.
At the link below, one will find an alternative to behavior modification programs. If your child is showing obvious signs of not functioning well in public schools, pull them out and find a school like this. You can?t force square pegs into round holes and it?s my firm belief that most of the problems kids deal with stem from a home and school environment that does not respect and appreciate them for the intelligent and creative human beings they are. It?s an insult to them and can set them on a course of apathy, boredom, self-destruction. Every child should be afforded such an ?education?. It should be their right.
An extensive list of democratic schools:
http://www.educationrevolution.org/liso ... california

From one of the schools listed:
http://www.houstonsudbury.org/

The Need for a New Model of Education
The traditional system of education was originally designed for the perceived needs of the Industrial Age. The main emphasis was on a regimented curriculum to prepare students for work in industrial type vocation. Creativity was not emphasized so much as ability to function effectively in authoritarian style organizations.
We have left the Industrial Age and entered the Information Age. New ideas appear constantly, changing the way things are done. The ability to thrive in the Information Age is based more and more on the ability to think creatively and take responsibilty for one's life. What type of educational model best suits this need?
The Sudbury Philosophy
The Sudbury philosophy is perhaps best stated by Daniel Greenberg, one of the original Sudbury founders, who stated, "The starting point for our thinking is the simple revolutionary idea that a child is a person worthy of full respect as a human being."
The Sudbury educational philosophy is that an environment of freedom, respect and responsibility best supports a child's creative potential. A child has the freedom to explore his or her world, develop theories about it, and come to his or her own conclusions, and to become the leader of his or her own life.
To allow children this freedom, it is necessary to give them the same respect you would an adult. Our philosophy says a child's ideas are as important as anyone else is.
With freedom and respect comes responsibility. In a Sudbury school we recognize the importance of other to exist peaceably. If a student is unhappy or bored then it is their responsibility to change their situation.
To create the environment of freedom, respect and responsibility, Sudbury schools have the following characteristics. There is no mandatory curriculum or tests. Students are responsible for finding their own interest and pursuing them. The school is governed democratically with students having an equal vote with adult staff members.
We are saying that our school is a great place to train for being the leader of your life, in the forefront of our culture.

Take a virtual tour here:
http://www.houstonsudbury.org/tour_files/frame.htm
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
gt;>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Hidden Lake Academy, after operating 12 years unlicensed will now be monitored by the state. Access information on the Federal Class Action lawsuit against HLA here: http://www.fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?t=17700

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2004, 11:01:00 PM »
Just curious Deborah - Have you been to any of these schools, or are you getting caught up in the slick advertising and great websites?  

What I read, and saw, is absolutely something to look into for kids that haven't yet become addicted to a destructive lifestyle which includes drugs.  It does look like a place that would be great for ADDers or others that are not thriving in our public schools - I'll read more, but I didn't see anything about parent education.

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2004, 10:17:00 AM »
It's an option for those who don't subscribe to incarceration and behavior modification.
A radically different approach that suggests that the demonstration of respect, and trust in a child to learn by pursuing their passions results in a dramatic shift in a child's perspective of themselves and the world. Amazing what genuine respect will do.
Behavior Modification on the other hand, is potentially damaging and while it may appear to work in the short term, research show it does not have long-term effect.
Hidden Lake Academy, after operating 12 years unlicensed will now be monitored by the state. Access information on the Federal Class Action lawsuit against HLA here: http://www.fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?t=17700

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2004, 07:46:00 PM »
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/4032449.stm

Poor diet linked to bad behaviour
Children who have a poor diet are more likely to become aggressive and anti-social, US researchers believe. The University of Southern California found a lack of zinc, iron, vitamin B and protein in the first three years caused bad behaviour later on.

At eight years old, children fed poorly were more likely to be irritable and pick fights than those fed healthily.

Aged 11, they swore, cheated and got into fights, and at 17, they stole, bullied others and took drugs.

The researchers analysed the development of more than 1,000 children on Mauritius, an island in the Indian Ocean off the cost of Africa, over 14
years.

They found the more malnurished the children were, the greater the anti-social behaviour later on.

The team took into account factors such as social background, health and education, the American Journal of Psychiatry reported.

Report co-author Adrian Raine said parents could prevent their children developing bad behaviour by ensuring they get better diets.

"Poor nutrition leads to low IQ, which leads to later anti-social behaviour.

"At a societal level, should parents be thinking more about what kids are eating?

"There's more to anti-social behaviour than nutrition, but we argue that it is an important missing link.

Offline hurleygurley

• View Profile
    • http://www.thetroublingtroubledteenindustry.org
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2004, 11:55:00 AM »
As I'm building my site I'm looking for alternative programs for parnts who, for whatever legitimate reasons, need alternatives for their kids. I will check into the Sudbury and Demo schools and report back.

I know from nearly first hand that Anastazi Wilderness in Utah is a program based on - get this ridiculous notion - LOVE!

Also, Theresa Heinz Kerry's son runs a buddhist school for "troubled teens" called Tinicum in Pennsylvania. There's a heavy focus on arts and strong academics. I have no first hand knowledge of the school. http://www.tinicumartandscience.org

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2004, 07:13:00 PM »
What'sthe name of Barbara Walter's daughter's program?  She started one and my take on it is that she spent 2+? years in a program and started her own.  Maybe she uses what worked for her and has modified or left out things that didn't

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2004, 07:15:00 PM »
Does this Anassazi place have their "wilderness" programs in the 120 degree heat in the summer time? That's love??

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2004, 09:20:00 PM »
On 2004-11-26 08:55:00, hurleygurley wrote:

"As I'm building my site I'm looking for alternative programs for parnts who, for whatever legitimate reasons, need alternatives for their kids. I will check into the Sudbury and Demo schools and report back.

I know from nearly first hand that Anastazi Wilderness in Utah is a program based on - get this ridiculous notion - LOVE!

Also, Theresa Heinz Kerry's son runs a buddhist school for "troubled teens" called Tinicum in Pennsylvania. There's a heavy focus on arts and strong academics. I have no first hand knowledge of the school. http://www.tinicumartandscience.org"

Here's a great resource:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/links/teen ... ction.html

Offline hurleygurley

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2004, 12:15:00 AM »
THESE ARE NOT ALTERNATIVES! This is just another cover site. Whoever posted this is a troll.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2004, 02:42:00 PM »
I don't think so - troll that is, this site has a lot of alternatives, but just happens to include behavior mod programs too.  GOod luck in finding something that works in your local communities that don't include residential placement.  Been there, done that, doesn't work for kids already addicted to behaviors or drugs.  They can work for ADD/HD if you can even get in.   Long waitlists here.

Offline hurleygurley

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2004, 03:04:00 PM »
I'm well aware of the lack of resources but whatever alternatives DO exist should be foregrounded, at the very least, as alternative models for dealing with kids who have serious behavioral/substance/psychiatric/family problems.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2004, 04:10:00 PM »
Elisabeth Feldman, MFT
Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist in San Francisco, CA (415) 273-5833. [email protected]. As a seasoned psychotherapist in practice for 15 years, I use compassion, insight, humor and practical common sense to address a wide variety of issues including women's issues with a focus on being single or divorced, single parenting, evaluating current relationships, body image, assertiveness, and health; relationship difficulties in couples (straight, lesbian or gay), families and step families, struggles at work, career transitions, depression, anxiety, self-esteem, teen struggles.

I guess I'm confused.  If this is you, then wouldn't you already have access to all the resources that are out there for troubled teens?  It's one of your specialties.  Maybe you can start something that would be acceptable and then you can make the money instead of the other programs??  Basically what you're saying is that your practice is ineffective?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2004, 04:14:00 PM »
http://www.sltrib.com/utah/ci_2457263
 :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:

Judge dismisses bid to release teen from youth home
Parents' rights: The wishes of the girl's mother trump a friend's concerns
By Elizabeth Neff
The Salt Lake Tribune  

Citing parents' rights to decide what is best for their children, a federal judge this week dismissed an effort to get a California teenager out of a Utah youth treatment program against her mother's wishes.
   Elisabeth Feldman, of the San Francisco Bay Area, says she is a close friend of a 17-year-old girl sent to the Draper-based Youth Care of Utah. Feldman, who claims to be acting in the girl's behalf, contends the teen was taken against her will to the wrong place to get the help she needs.
   Attorney Thomas Burton on Monday asked U.S. District Judge Paul Cassell to order the girl brought to court to be heard, but the judge dismissed the case.
   Cassell said Feldman, the mother of the teen's boyfriend, had not proved she had the right to bring the court action. The judge also ruled writs like the one Burton filed can be used to protect against actions taken by the government - not private programs like Youth Care.
   "I find that parenting decisions should not be litigated in the federal courts," Cassell said.
   The judge said his ruling "does not leave children unprotected" as any complaints of abuse should be reported to the state's Division of Children and Family Services.
   But Burton said the ruling ignores larger   constitutional questions about the liberty interests of minors, and whether they can object to being held against their will. He questioned whether such reasoning creates a "new kind of mafia."
   "Because these people operate privately they are untouchable?" he asked.
   The girl's mother, who attended Monday's hearing along with Youth Care officials, said Feldman has violated her family's privacy and that her daughter "is where she needs to be."
   The mother said the teen attends school during most of the day and receives group and individual therapy in the program. The two had dinner Sunday night, and her daughter is doing well, she said.
   "This was the most difficult decision I have made in my life," she said of enrolling her daughter.
   The girl is not permitted to speak with anyone not on an approved list at the facility. But Feldman, a retired psychotherapist, has said the girl told her she wanted out during a conversation on a cell phone someone had smuggled into the facility.
   Both sides referred to the teen as exceptionally bright. But while Feldman says she is depressed, the girl's mother says her daughter was "struggling emotionally across the board" before she was expelled from her high school.
   A   California judge has issued a restraining order against Feldman, which Cassell cited in his ruling Monday. Feldman says she never had notice of the proposed order or the chance to fight it in court before it was issued.
   Burton and Feldman argue the program's secretiveness leads to questions about its treatment of teens. Youth Care attorney Dayle Jeffs said the program's restrictions on contact are necessary for treatment.
   Burton and Feldman say they will appeal the decision, either taking the matter before a federal appeals court or a Utah state court judge. Earlier in the hearing, Burton had quickly disproved a claim by Jeffs that Burton was not   admitted to practice in Utah's federal court.

Offline hurleygurley

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2004, 05:43:00 PM »
Jeez, what is going on here? First of all, I'm no longer in practice nevertheless continue to be involved in mental health issues. Any websites referring to me as a therapist are at least over two years old. My contact with the troubled teen industry came from a purely personal relationship with a friend, who is my son's girlfriend, as well. (that email address and phone number died years ago)

What does my collecting resources have to do with being an effective therapist, anyway? I would assume the opposite. One thing a therapist should be is a good resource for all sorts of things including educational alternatives.

What does ineffective therapist mean, anyway? Who are you? What are you implying? I am simply trying to gather information for my own non-commercial website which will not be selling any service or product whatsoever.

I also don't understand why the awful grinning things next to the article posted about the case? It's actually an awful situation which was grossly mishandled in court. Neither you nor anyone except a very, very few people know anything about the details of this situation. If I were you, I would ask question before making assumptions.

I will request that you be banned from this list, if possible. [ This Message was edited by: hurleygurley on 2004-11-27 14:49 ]

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2004, 10:00:00 AM »
Hurley Girlie - I guess I'm not clear either on why you think you know more about what this girls needs than her own mother.  Are you wanting to get your son's girlfriend back to him or what?  You say you are retired from practicing therapy, how old are you?  How old is your son?  Why are you no longer in practice?  

Keep on doing what you're doing.  If nothing else, it may provide some effective alternatives to the already effective RTC's or B/M facilities and we wouldn't need to send outr kids out of the local community.  They need to stay in the community so they can continue the relationships they have with their current friends, etc.  

Tell us about why is mother would file a restraining order?  "A California judge has issued a restraining order against Feldman..."
Do California judges do this lightly?  Or is there harrassment, etc., involved?