Author Topic: Organized Religion  (Read 966 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Organized Religion
« on: October 14, 2004, 10:53:00 AM »
Very simply, the Catholic Church, which does not fall under cult status (like other legitimate religions) does not through peer pressure control your personal life, such as psychologically/emotionally persuade you (or leave) to make decisions in your personal life to include your marriage. I witnessed specific prescriptive requirements for married people at The Seed. The Catholic church does not control your every behavior. Basically, you are free to come and go as you please in the Catholic church. -- Free is the key word. . .you come to God with freewill. Even if you do not agree with the Church, there is the concept of freewill. On another note, if you see a therapist and he/she helps you to get you life back, there is absolutely no pressure or expecttion from that person of lyalty or any other status where that person is above you. At The Seed, there was an inherent beleif that some were better than others as if the more wise or intellegent ones (for no apparent reason, by the way) had the "Truth" about you.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline GregFL

• View Profile
Organized Religion
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2004, 12:27:00 PM »
The catholic church has been described innacurately by right wing penecostal churchs as a cult. A cult to some is any group you dont agree with. To an outside observer The catholic church can seem a little odd with all the ritualistic chanting and repeating after the minister on cue, et al.

That being said, cult like behavior is far different than  cohersive cults.

Cohersive cults use deceptive recruiting tactics, restrict your contact with the outside world, create an us or them mentality,  a leader who is loved and reverred who sees himself as a savior of people or spokesman for god, have unquestioning doctrines, public confessionals, isolation, love bombing, severe punishments for questioning, mystical revelations, higher purposes, expelling and banishment for questioning the doctrine,special language or manipulation of existing language to impart special meaning, restricted diets and sleep time, control of bodily functions.  There are more, but you get the idea, it has little to do with voluntarily religious organizations like the Catholic church.

And before one goes accusing me of bias, I am not a member of the catholic church and never have been.

Also I am not a member of Any organized group including the Freemasons (capt america, get a grip on this fact).
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »