Author Topic: Investigation of Draper Utah facilty underway  (Read 2426 times)

Offline nite owl

• View Profile
Investigation of Draper Utah facilty underway
« on: October 12, 2004, 09:07:00 PM »
Lawsuit Filed on Behalf of Teen in Treatment Center
Oct. 11, 2004
John Hollenhorst Reporting

A California girl is observing her 17th birthday in Utah today, claiming she's being held against her will inside a residential treatment facility in Draper. A lawsuit filed by the girl's friend in federal court raises a troubling issue: Should minors be able to overrule parents if they think their decisions are abusive?

Actually, we don't even know if the girl herself is aware of the lawsuit. It was filed by an attorney working for the girl's boyfriend's mother. The lawsuit claims the girl was abducted off the street in Oakland by someone working for her mother and is now being held, incommunicado, in a residential treatment facility in Draper.

Youth Care of Utah is hidden on a private street behind an RV business in Draper. We were politely asked to leave and given no information. Later though, company officials confirmed the status of a California girl who turned 17 today.

David Terbest, Youth Care Spokesman: ?Yes, she is a patient in our facility.?

The growing facility houses and treats troubled teens, usually sent there by parents.

David Terbest: "They might be chemically dependent students, they might be students that have behavioral issues with their family."

But the lawyer who filed suit to get the California teen out says she's there because her mother paid a huge sum of money to have her locked up, something she couldn't legally do herself.

Thomas Burton, Attorney: "No parent can lock up a child for an indefinite period of time in a basement in order to keep them under control. And that's basically what is happening here."

He denies she's a drug user, and says the Utah facility may not be the best place for her.

Thomas Burton: ?She?s of an age to have some say about it.?

David Terbest: "We have a highly accredited staff, masters level individuals. We have therapists, psychiatrists."

The facility is licensed, regulated and inspected by the state. And state officials told us the operation has a good record.

The attorney claims the girls' constitutional rights to liberty and privacy are being violated. But he admits he hasn't even spoken to her.

Thomas Burton: "We wish we could. I went out there and knocked on the door and asked to talk to her. But I was refused."

The attorney says he was hired by the girl's boyfriend's mother who is also is a practicing therapist. He said he believes she's communicated with the girl, but he's not sure how.

Meanwhile, the company that runs the facility says it isn't truly a lockup. The doors open from inside. But they admit an alarm would sound and staff would try to physically restrain a patient trying to run away.

If a nation expects to be ignorant and free, in a state of civilization, it expects what never was and never will be.

--Thomas Jefferson

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2004, 05:41:00 PM »
Something needs to be done in Utah.  What's happening in these programs is outrageous.  It's hard to believe that the kids can't even speak to an attorney. They would have more rights in jail.  It's hard to believe that they can't write and receive mail. Isn't this against the law?  It's no wonder these kids try to escape.  Of course when they do so - they are usually locked up - even though they are not prisoners......

Offline hurleygurley

• View Profile
    • http://www.thetroublingtroubledteenindustry.org
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2004, 07:21:00 AM »
I very familiar with this case. Just wanted to let you know that things are cooking. Obviously  /can't say too much but I'd bet this is going to be a good thing for us. When the hearing is over I will report the news.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2004, 10:35:00 AM »
Thankyou for all you are doing A child as artistic and musically gifted has no business in Youth Care.

Offline hurleygurley

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2004, 06:33:00 PM »
to the anonymous poster who is obviously clued in to specifics, it is disturbing to read your posts without knowing who you are. The posts regarding help you may have are particularly disturbing because you offer no way to contact you and you have not left a private message. Further comments like this I will consider harrassment rather than help. I would love any REAL help that you or anyone has to offer but I won't reveal anything further about the case here or with anyone who cannot prove their interest in the case.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2004, 05:51:00 AM »
hurleygurley I am unable to leave a private message for you. You must be registered with this site to do so...my only interest in the case is to get her out. is there any where else I could leave a private message for you? Or call you?I am sincere in my wanting to help and am not trying to freak anyone out. I will tell you my name but not on a public message board.

Offline hurleygurley

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2004, 02:34:00 PM »
To my would be helper:  I am one of the "owners" of the blog
http://www.troubledteenindustry.blogspot.com.  any comment you make (doesn't matter which posting you comment from)will be forwarded to my personal email. No one will see your name. Just go to the blog, click on comment for ANY posting. I think this is the best way to handle this.

Obviously, I can't leave a phone number or personal email address for you (and the rest of the world).

Please contact me soon.[ This Message was edited by: hurleygurley on 2004-10-23 11:54 ]

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2004, 10:09:00 PM »
Nite owl, could you please post a link to the article?

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
gt;>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Hidden Lake Academy, after operating 12 years unlicensed will now be monitored by the state. Access information on the Federal Class Action lawsuit against HLA here: http://www.fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?t=17700

Offline hurleygurley

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2004, 07:10:00 PM »
Now that the case is public, I can report on some of the details which I will do at my blog starting tonight. This is an extremely important case. If it's relevant to your situation and you want more information email me through my blog -you may be anonymous but of course, I will be more circumspect if you are.

Major media is ready to jump on this (without any prompting)once I can speak freely.

http://www.troubledteenindustry.blogspot.com

Also this is the link to the Deseret story on this (with inaccuracies)

http://deseretnews.com/dn/view2/1,4382, ... eld=Burton[ This Message was edited by: hurleygurley on 2004-10-29 16:14 ]

Offline hurleygurley

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2004, 01:04:00 PM »
Judge dismisses bid to release teen from youth home
Parents' rights: The wishes of the girl's mother trump a friend's concerns
By Elizabeth Neff
The Salt Lake Tribune

"Citing parents' rights to decide what is best for their children, a federal judge this week dismissed an effort to get a California teenager out of a Utah youth treatment program against her mother's wishes.
   Elisabeth Feldman, of the San Francisco Bay Area, says she is a close friend of a 17-year-old girl sent to the Draper-based Youth Care of Utah. Feldman, who claims to be acting in the girl's behalf, contends the teen was taken against her will to the wrong place to get the help she needs.
   Attorney Thomas Burton on Monday asked U.S. District Judge Paul Cassell to order the girl brought to court to be heard, but the judge dismissed the case.
   Cassell said Feldman, the mother of the teen's boyfriend, had not proved she had the right to bring the court action. The judge also ruled writs like the one Burton filed can be used to protect against actions taken by the government - not private programs like Youth Care.
   "I find that parenting decisions should not be litigated in the federal courts," Cassell said.
   The judge said his ruling "does not leave children unprotected" as any complaints of abuse should be reported to the state's Division of Children and Family Services.
   But Burton said the ruling ignores larger   constitutional questions about the liberty interests of minors, and whether they can object to being held against their will. He questioned whether such reasoning creates a "new kind of mafia."
   "Because these people operate privately they are untouchable?" he asked.
   The girl's mother, who attended Monday's hearing along with Youth Care officials, said Feldman has violated her family's privacy and that her daughter "is where she needs to be."
   The mother said the teen attends school during most of the day and receives group and individual therapy in the program. The two had dinner Sunday night, and her daughter is doing well, she said.
   "This was the most difficult decision I have made in my life," she said of enrolling her daughter.
   The girl is not permitted to speak with anyone not on an approved list at the facility. But Feldman, a retired psychotherapist, has said the girl told her she wanted out during a conversation on a cell phone someone had smuggled into the facility.
   Both sides referred to the teen as exceptionally bright. But while Feldman says she is depressed, the girl's mother says her daughter was "struggling emotionally across the board" before she was expelled from her high school.
   A   California judge has issued a restraining order against Feldman, which Cassell cited in his ruling Monday. Feldman says she never had notice of the proposed order or the chance to fight it in court before it was issued.
   Burton and Feldman argue the program's secretiveness leads to questions about its treatment of teens. Youth Care attorney Dayle Jeffs said the program's restrictions on contact are necessary for treatment.
   Burton and Feldman say they will appeal the decision, either taking the matter before a federal appeals court or a Utah state court judge. Earlier in the hearing, Burton had quickly disproved a claim by Jeffs that Burton was not   admitted to practice in Utah's federal court."

Please read my post here: http://fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?topic=7251&forum=9 for more on this.

[ This Message was edited by: hurleygurley on 2004-11-26 10:06 ]