Author Topic: For the parents... you should be concerned about your kids!  (Read 2400 times)

Offline **PIXIE DUST**

• View Profile
For the parents... you should be concerned about your kids!
« on: October 08, 2004, 05:35:00 PM »
parents, if you have a kid enrolled at ANY CEDU school, you should get them out of there as soon as you can!  i just graduated from BCA in may 2003, and if you have any questions about the abuse that goes on there or if you just need the truth about the places, you can call me.  my name is Lizzie, and my phone number is 301-676-2805.  or you can e-mail me at [email protected]  [ This Message was edited by: **PIXIE DUST** on 2004-10-09 11:07 ]
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
Being considerate of others will take [you] further in life than any college degree\" -Marian Wright Edelman-

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2004, 07:24:00 PM »
Keep it real Pixie. You are doing the right thing.
Parents, do not send your children to CEDU. You will probably never forgive yourself. You will probably not help the world or your child. You will probably cause more harm than do good. Search for other alternatives. You'll thank us if you do!

Offline **PIXIE DUST**

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2004, 09:44:00 PM »
:smile:  thank you anon, and yes, you will thank us later.  by talking to myself, and with other people here, you will come to find that the people on this site are only looking out for you and your child, and hopefuly prevent your child from becoming damaged by CEDU even more than they already have.  i encourage you to give me a call, and to talk with the other people here on this site.
Being considerate of others will take [you] further in life than any college degree\" -Marian Wright Edelman-

Offline former CEDU therapist

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2004, 02:46:00 PM »
Parents are desperate for a solution to their problems. The issue here is what works best? Many of these schools do not have outcome studies. And if there is a study - say, how is the student doing 3 years later and how was the adjustment afterward - what about a control group? A control group is a group that you don't do anything to.

The problem is that you can't conduct such a study. You can't take 1,000 troubled kids and send half to a school and do nothing with the other half. And there aren't studies showing specific schools' outcomes vs other treatments. So, parents don't know what to do.

Based on all of your experiences, what would you suggest to parents? It's one thing to say what NOT to do... can you think of alternatives? What about behaviors that could harm the teen for the rest of his/her life? So, what would you suggest here? Every situation is certainly different, but there are a lot of smart people in these boards with a lot of experiences. I've seen a lot of wise posts here. Let's give parents some tools!

Offline **PIXIE DUST**

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2004, 02:07:00 PM »
YAY!!  i had some one call me today!  and i'm hoping for the best!

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2004, 04:26:00 PM »
On 2004-10-09 11:46:00, former CEDU therapist wrote:

The problem is that you can't conduct such a study. You can't take 1,000 troubled kids and send half to a school and do nothing with the other half.

Aren't there plenty of kids who these programs would identify as "troubled" and who don't land up in a program? Can't 500 of these kids be interviewed at intervals as a control group?

Don't worry about temptation--as you grow older, it starts avoiding you.  
-- Old Farmer's Almanac

"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2004, 04:58:00 AM »
Parents,

Here's some treatments that have been shown to be effective:

Parent Management Training (PMT)
- for adolesents & children
- works with parents
- alters parent-child interactions at home
-childrearing practices & coercive interchanges

Multisystemic Therapy (MST)
- for adolescents
- works with family
- comboination of multiple treatments to address the multiple domains that may be affecting the child

Cognitive Problem-Sovling Skills Training (PSST)
- for adolescents (older children over 10-11 yrs old)
- that are impulsive, aggressive
- changes the thought processes that influences social behavior

Functional Family Therapy (FFT)
- for children and adolescents
- involving family members
- to increase family functioning

Brief Strategic Family Therapy (BSFT)
- mainly effective for hispanic families
- involving entire family
- concrete strategies used to promote improved patterns of interaction within the structure of the family.

These treatments have all shown to be effective in their specific population.  Now that I have given some alternatives, PLEASE do not send your beloved children to these horid types of places.  I speak from experience.  Please ask about these therapies and take them into consideration.

If you want more information, look at the book "A guide to treatments that work - 2nd edition".

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2004, 03:29:00 PM »
i was a counselor/abuser at cedu way back and we were told to abuse the kids to make it look like we were "confronting" them.  when you are dealing with cedu types and their clones keep the following in mind.  Every time they accuse the kid of something  it is really they who are doing the same thing.  the excuse we were told to give if caught lying by a parent who taped us was that "we have to lie, because most kids that leave want to come back"   it is really  just a scam to keep the money going to the wasserman klan who do not give a shit about anything but money and telling your kids lies about you so they will not leave before they have been brainwashed.

Offline **PIXIE DUST**

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2004, 07:19:00 PM »
then why don't you help us put an end to all this crap that's been going on?  if you really are who you say you are, you have a lot of insite, and could really help parents out by giving them the truth they deserve!