Author Topic: Turn-About Ranch, Boy on the Run, Night/Cold/Rough Country  (Read 7005 times)

Offline spirithelps

• View Profile
Turn-About Ranch, Boy on the Run, Night/Cold/Rough Country
« on: October 04, 2004, 10:40:00 PM »
It's now an hour after sunset and Turn-About Ranch has a boy who ran at 5:30 still out there in the Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument, alone, barefoot and on his own.  This is some of the roughest desert on Earth, canyons, straight down cliffs, no roads.  It's getting close to freezing at night, depending on where he is.

I went looking but that's like a needle in a haystack.  Turn-About has one guy on horseback (probably back by now, though) and another on foot (I know he was coming back) and the rest in vehicles along the main roads.  But it's a heck of a long way between those canyons and the main roads.

I'm praying.  If anyone else is so inclined, I'm sure he could use it right now.  I feel so helpless in this whole awful mess of an industry.

Toni
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2004, 11:02:00 PM »
So where are the helicopters with search lights?
A human life seems at least as important as a beached whale.
gt;>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Hidden Lake Academy, after operating 12 years unlicensed will now be monitored by the state. Access information on the Federal Class Action lawsuit against HLA here: http://www.fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?t=17700

Offline spirithelps

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2004, 12:20:00 AM »
Just back again from driving the roads.  It's beginning to rain and lightning to the south and west of us.  I've discovered they really don't have a plan, just wait for the kid to give up and get back to the road.  

Heck, we don't even have cops here.  A sheriff deputy lives in town and is on duty occasionally.  Search and rescue is all volunteer local residents.  They're gonna call them out in the morning.

Toni

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2004, 08:43:00 PM »
Search and rescue is that crappy? When I went to TAR, there was a story about three kids who escaped The Barn (not Roundy; they at least had shoes and stuff) who holed up in one of those canyons and get discovered by helicopters the third day out. The staff recounted it agitation, like they remember the fear of having to deal with the would-be litigious parents of dead children. There really isn't a comprehensive plan for any escaped child from the place. Usually they enlist the help of level 4's and 3's and do their redneck footstep-tracking bullshit. Who knows, maybe this kid will martyr himself and get the shithole closed down.

Offline spirithelps

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2004, 11:22:00 PM »
Nope, he spent the night through rain and most of the next day out.  They caught him in town.  He escaped (I'll use that term 'cause I'm seeing these facilities more and more as prisons with no civil or legal rights) just before nightfall, so, yeah, they took some of the kids and drove the roads, but not enough time before dark for him to get to any roads.

Two others on horses and one on foot tracked him til dark, then returned.  Staff drove the roads all night which is pretty crazy 'cause all he would have to do is see their headlights coming and ditch behind some bushes til they passed.  So, I assume he returned to the main road during the night and made it the 13 miles or so to town on foot, I should say, on barefoot.

Pretty crazy.  I would never, ever have placed my kid in these kinds of circumstances, totally out of their loop.  The parents told TAR that he would run, yet, he was left alone, duh . . .

Toni

Offline spirithelps

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2004, 11:27:00 PM »
I heard a story about some kids who escaped during a flash flood and got caught in quicksand.  They couldn't budge.  

They were discovered by a group of wilderness hikers who just happened to stumble upon them and got 'em out with ropes.

When I worked there, a group of Barn kids returned from a hike with Wayne all excited.  They said they almost had to hike back to get help 'cause Wayne had gotten stuck in a vertical crack and couldn't get out.  How come Wayne can take groups out by himself, without other staff members around, even the girls?

Toni

Offline cherish wisdom

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2004, 11:44:00 PM »
Hey - Sprit - do you work for one of these places or just live by one?  Just curious.  All of these programs in the beautiful state of Utah need to be seriously investigated for child abuse. The children need to have some way to communicate with the outside world. Even prisoners can use a pay phone.  Even prisoners can ask for a lawyer.  These children are being denied basic human and civil rights.  They are extremely vulnerable to physical, sexual, emotional, psychological and verbal abuse.  Many suffer from diagnosed mental illnesses and these programs are inappropriate...

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0345371984/circlofmiamithem' target='_new'> Douglas Adams, _Last Chance to See_

If you lack wisdom ask of God and it shall be given to you.\"

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2004, 12:30:00 AM »
The ongoing road block being- they're minors. They have rights- no they don't. It appears that the latter is accurate.

There's always more than one way to approach any situation. Consider what's happening in Texas.

Find out which programs CPS sends kids to. Hammer CPS for using fraudulent and abusive programs and paying for it with TAX DOLLARS. Demand an investigation of CPS and the facilities they refer to, by the state comptroller. Are kids in CPS-supported programs being illegally medicated or over medicated?

Is there any group organized in Utah to take such actions? How many advocates in Utah?

The shake down going on in Texas isn't directed at programs per se, but the entire abismal failure known as CPS- where a child is 5 times more likely to be hurt or killed in an out-of-home placement. CPS just happens to place children in RTCs and wilderness programs. While all programs won't be scrutinized or closed, there will be fewer, and with any luck things MIGHT improve for the kids who are destined to be warehoused in such torture chambers.

http://www.fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.ph ... &forum=9&5
gt;>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Hidden Lake Academy, after operating 12 years unlicensed will now be monitored by the state. Access information on the Federal Class Action lawsuit against HLA here: http://www.fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?t=17700

Offline spirithelps

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2004, 09:33:00 AM »
Turn-About Ranch, Escalante, Utah is just down the road from my house.  It's one of the bigger employers here now that the Fed gov has shut down all the rest of our economy (they're trying to drive us out of this little town to claim it for their namesake town of the Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument which was stolen by Pres Clinton in 1996).  

In one of my more desperate times earlier this year, I went to work for them.  That lasted almost 2 months when I quit after turning in male staff wrestling with female students, the same male staff taking females off to work alone, and the same male staff trying to brainwash me into believing that I was coward after I had seen and heard all of this.  First, I heard it from a female student who was interrupted mysteriously by the male staff who appeared out of nowhere as she talked to me, and then, just an hour later, God set up a scenario which allowed me to see it all with my own eyes.  

I was at their Roundy facility just as a substitute 'cause someone went home sick and I didn't normally work there.  The place felt so evil, I had seen and heard so much that I just wanted out.  I sat down on the porch and prayed for God to get me out of there, and He did.  Within 15 minutes of my prayer my supervisor was radioing me that my replacement was on their way and to return to the Barn where I normally worked.

I turned all of this in to the office, originally thinking that they'd take care of the problem.  They didn't, they gave me a gold token and basically said, now shut up.  So, then I quit and turned 'em into the Sheriff's Office, CPS, and their state licensor lady.  All of these offices were originally aghast with my reports (particularly since a duct tape incident happened at Roundy the exact same day as I turned in my report).  All 3 of these "protective" offices closed their cases within just days . . . no investigation at all even though they individually had said they would do an extensive investigation, get to the bottom of it, and they would force people to talk.  Yeah, right, Mormons cover other Mormons' backs.  I know, for the state of Utah, it's part of the "new economy" they want vs. the old economy they've shut down.

So, professionally before I moved to this little berg I was a business consultant and I saw plenty at Turn-About that needed correcting, just from their liability standpoint and implementing procedures to cover their asses from a lawsuit.

Now, I'm a researcher and writer who exposes the programs involved in the takeover of the world by the One World Order geeks -- the Trilateral Commission, the Council on Foreign Relations, the United Nations and all of their affiliates of nonprofits that do a lot their dirty work for them.

For 15 years, I was one of northern Arizona's main environmental leaders.  I'm used to raising the alarm and actively pursuing change.  I got into enviro activism due to a prayer about my concern over haz waste burning near our home and a promise that I would do whatever it took to beat it.  From this daily prayer, came project after project landing in my lap.  

So, my daily prayer turned into I would do whatever work God needed done.  I naturally ask Him for help along the way and for what I need to get the job done.

More here on my webpage, if you're interested:
http://www.spirithelps.com/about_us.htm

Yes, the kids need someone to talk to, but as staff there, I couldn't get them to trust me much, even though while raising my own kids, I was the neighborhood mom for everyone 'cause the other moms were never home.  It was always a priority for me to be home, I changed my life so that I could fit more into my children's needs.  Today, my kids are grown, but we have a very strong bond between us, and we're open and honest with each other.  I never lied to my kids either, I try to walk my talk!

Toni

Offline cherish wisdom

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2004, 08:47:00 PM »
There sure is alot of political corruption involved in this Utah teen-industry. You did the right thing by reporting this.  Did you also report it to Ken Stettler at Health and Human Services.  I would suggest that you do so - particularly since the investigatin went no where. I'd also report it to the press if nothing is done.  Sometimes the media can light a fire so hot that someone will have to get off of their ass and do something.  
You can e-mail Ken at [email protected]
The spelling may not be right - so check it out.  
Take Care Spirit.....

Age is mind over matter. If you don't mind...it doesn't matter!
--  Chuck Gauran

If you lack wisdom ask of God and it shall be given to you.\"

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2004, 09:19:00 PM »
Wayne has been allowed to take Roundy kids (the meek, mild ones) on "nature walks" that usually run down to the TAR sluice and back, winding around to stop at some of his favorite Native American artifact sites.

He's not often an overnight staff, but I can recall a few times when he was present. One example: an ESL kid spoke French in his sleep and was placed on "impact" the following morning. Of course, the rules that come in the back of your blue folder prohibit the use of foreign language (lest you use them to organize escape or blaspheme, etc.)

Offline happydad

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2004, 12:58:00 PM »
After reading this I felt strongly that I had to respond.

The young man attemtpting to bail out of Turn-About-Ranch was almost certainly my nephew Andy. His father (my brother) and I brought him to Escalante in desperation and fear for his life. Andy has a long history of drug and alcohol abuse, running away, theft, etc. He has put himself in harms way so many times that it is astonishing he is still alive. It's likely that he was at less risk in the canyon country on a cold night than in many other situations he has willingly placed himself in.

Andy was caght crossing a road after a couple of days and sent back to Roundy. A few days later he ran again and made it to the outskirts of Escalante. He broke into a house and fed himself canned goods from the pantry and hung low for a couple days. Because the water to the house was off he made a pretty good mess of the place. He also stole a knife from the house, presumably for defense. After a couple of days he called a taxi company in Cedar City (about 100 miles away) and arranged for them to meet him at the TAR headquarters after business hours. I gather that the driver showed up early and there were still people at the office. He (the driver) explained why he was there, and the TAR folks were able to snag Andy when he showed up for his cab.

After his attempts to run away from the ranch Andy was sent to another Aspen group program in Loa, Utah. Andy's behavior there included a hunger strike, refusal to use the toilet(soiling himself instead), and repeatedly sharpening branches and sticks and implying that he would use them offensively or self destuctively. Eventually the program people decided that he was unreachable.

Andy was placed in the Central Utah Youth Correctional Facility in Richfield, Utah charged in the break in and theft. He also has charges pending in his home state in association with a school break in, possessing stolen property, purse snatchinf, etc. Afetr a 45 day observation and assessment period the authorities in Utah came to the same conclusion the the Aspen people did: essentially, Andy is unreachable, unwilling or unable to participate in his own emotional growth, dismissive of all who try to help him, and unable to control his impulsive behavior.

Understand something else about Andy...this kid verges on genius. He is fully bi-lingual, extemely musically talented (I am personally in awe of how well this kid know a guitars fret board), and as crafty and persuasive as they come. He comes from a good family, they have their issues as so we all, but they are solid people who care deeply about him.

So now they are preparing to send Andy back to his home state. The state of Utah isn't interested in pursuing the issue with a kid who doesn't care, and evidently doesn't mind jail too much either. It's likely that he will be commited to a psychiatric institution. The courts at home will probably enforce a conviction of some sort (completeing a program entitled him to a diversion program that would have left his record clean). His parents have to foot the bill for a wasted effort, as well as a $200 cab trip. And ultimately Andy is no better and no better off.

Dont't fool yourself into thinking that I don't know what I'm talking about, or that I'm just periperally involved in all this.My daughter was at TAR for 92 days in 2003, and has done very well since.

She was chronically truant, failing her classes, experimenting with drugs, sexually active with an older boyfriend, etc. Homelife was hell, and the stress on my marriage and worklife was extreme.

The program at TAR has done wonders in many ways, but the single greatest contribution (in my opinion) was the opportunity for  Emily ( another Emily) to re-invent herself in a new environment, uninfluenced by the social pressures and habits of her peer group at home. Once she was no longer having daily contact with her "friends" here, and in the rather austere and demanding environment at TAR, she was free and encouraged to take stock of herself in a supportive atmosphere. Accepting her own contribution to her decline (don't get me wrong here, my contribution was SUBSTANTIAL), seeing her way clear to integrate change in her life, and commiting herself to taking this new found attitude beyond the ranch has done a world of good for my daughter.

Emily is not perfect today by any means. She has had a lot of challenges since leaving the ranch. Not all her decisions were good ones, and she doesn't always see things as we do. But she has learned to learn from her mistakes. She considers consequences, and displays a willingness to learn from her mistakes. She is in school, doing well even great, and looking forward to college and adulthood. She has a sense of who she is that is independant of what others think of her, and she is commited to living a spiritually healthy and sane life.

I have asked her and she said that she never witnessed any abuse on the part of staff at TAR, although she indicated that they were pretty harsh if you got out of line. No, she wasn't very fond of Wayne, or her experience at Roundy, but she feels like it was a very important part of the program. I mean, after all, the whole objective of impact is to shake the kid up, right? And as far as Max Stewart goes, she was scared to death of him at first, then cautious, and finally became very fond of him and sees him today as one of the most positively influential people in her life.

The program at TAR is not life in a vacuum. Don't send your child there if you aren't able or willing to accept whatever role or contribution you have made as parents towards your son's problems. The counselers at TAR and the program itself is geared toward a broader base than simply what the childs problems may be, but offers great hope to families that can work together toward resolving a range of issues. If you think that TAR can solve all your problems for you by dealing with your child out in the boonies of southern Utah without your active and commited participation, think again. Save your money if you can't buy into your own contribution to the chaos that exists. I don't mean to imply that you are the whole problem, but teens are largely influenced by those around them, and parents can be awfully toxic.

I'm not certain what this forum is all about. Yes, there are some pretty awful programs out there, and a lot of charlatans too. I read a lot of bitching and moaning that sounds like a bunch of whiners who need to grow up, and also some obviously legitimate complaints. But without goood effective programs like TAR children like my daughter are going to have a hard time becoming the happy productive adults they deserve to be.

Offline hurleygurley

• View Profile
    • http://www.thetroublingtroubledteenindustry.org
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2004, 11:47:00 PM »
Please report it to Ken Stettler! I'm trying to get everyone who's having problems with Utah programs to lay it on him. Don't settle for a licensor. [email protected]. Be respectful but very strong about endangering MORE kids lives... Please let me know of any of these contacts! I'm collecting the archive and any responses.

Lord help this kid.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2004, 01:13:00 AM »
Andy's uncle - you know sometimes youth need to find their own way - learning the hard lessons of life somehow changed me for the better.  Before these programs were popular kids learned the hard way.  We all became adults and I'm sure we did some of the awful things your nephew did and some of the things your daughter did.

Sometimes when I'm discouraged with my own children I have to reflect back to the time when I was their age. I need to remember how I felt.  One also needs to realize that experience - be it good or bad - really is the best teacher.

When wayward youth are shipped off to these mind-control programs they are being denied the opportunity of learning the hard lessons of life.

Instead - some are seeing the worst in humanity.
What kind of a life-altering experience is that?

Offline spirithelps

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2004, 01:35:00 AM »
From my experience at Turn-About as staff, I have to say that most of the "troubled" teens had no parents in their lives.  That isn't to say that they had no parents, it's just that the parents weren't ever involved in their lives.  The kids went, as you say, from institution to institution.  TAR cannot, nor can any "group home", ever provide a family atmosphere, nor can they teach morals, standards, or family values.

It was my feeling as staff that the only way this type of program would ever work is if the parents were there with the child, working together, for the 3 months.  It was my impression that very few of these parents would ever be willing to give up 3 months out of their lives for their kids, when in reality the kids' problems stemmed from bad parenting, or maybe worse yet, no parenting.

I didn't know Andy, I had already quit TAR over unresolved sexual abuse by staff members.  It's a place that I could not morally work.  I did, however, go out for hours driving back roads looking for him because, if you were actually here in Escalante you might have noticed the 2.1 million acres of extremely remote, rough, rocky, steep canyons unlike no place on Earth, surrounding us.  We have out-of-towners die out here every year.  Every year we go looking for them in the hopes of finding them before they do.  

I was extremely worried for Andy that night, but yet, you, his uncle, supposedly, show very little concern for his safety as he was missing overnight, in this rugged country, in a heavy rainfall, in cold weather.  You only continue to blast away at Andy.

You sound more like an Aspen or a TAR employee.  At least, that was always their attitude, the kids get what they deserve.

Who's the moderator here, can you check this uncle's IP for me?

Toni