Author Topic: Death at Skyline Journey 13 July 2002  (Read 17112 times)

Offline cherish wisdom

• View Profile
Death at Skyline Journey 13 July 2002
« Reply #45 on: November 09, 2004, 05:22:00 PM »
The main problem with all of these programs is the fact that the authorities do little to nothing when complaints from former staff and former patients and their families come it.  The State of Utah protects the programs instead of the patients or participants.  Laws that could have been established to better protect the children purposefully die in the legislature - while those responciple obtain handsome political contributions.  This is a dirty secret in Utah and must be exposed.  The people in Utah need to wake up and realize that this industry is an embarrassment not only to their State but to the prominent religion in Utah (LDS) since many of the owners and staff of these youth programs are members of "the church."

There have been so many reports of abuse that have been burried by those who have been elected and hired by the people of Utah to protect the safety and rights of institutionalized children.

Institutionalized child abuse is alive and well in Utah - with no end in sight. This is outrageous and should not be tolerated by a civilized society where many have died for freedoms sake.  

The object of persecution is persecution. The object of torture
is torture. The object of power is power. Now do you begin
to understand me?

--O'Brien to Winston Smith

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
If you lack wisdom ask of God and it shall be given to you.\"

Offline redtail

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 09, 2004, 06:17:00 PM »
In defence of Mark Wardle, I must clarify that he did not support the students' prohibition of their companion from eating until a punishment was inflicted.  He backed me on getting food to the student, but he also criticized me for taking things too seriously, told me to lighten up.  When I told him that the students were running the program he said that they were supposed to be, that we were supposed to "empower the students," that the first students felt like they were junior staff, and that the program would tighten up more on procedure with time.  

When I later told him that it was he who had told me to "come down hard on standard operating procedures," he told me, "Yes, but I didn't tell you to come down hard on the students."  

Mark assumed that because the majority of students were against me that I was being too harsh.  I disagree.  I was doing the best I could with the limited training I had.  I was imposing no consequences other than reporting unacceptable behavior to therapists.  

I don't think you can condemn Mark for being behavior modification-oriented or of creating an atmosphere of fear and torture (as most of you seem to think happens in all programs).  He was basically the Santa who came in occasionally and sweet-talked everyone, and left us to figure out how to get the students to take care of safety and health concerns without offending anybody when he wasn't there.  

The program may have changed in the year after I left.  My tendency is to take the students very seriously and get advice from an M.D. before hiking a student who says he's sick.  I sometimes get suckered, as some of the students are adept manipulators.  I'm sometimes criticised by younger staff who think either I don't want to hike or I am a coddler or a babyer.  It's not always an easy call, not cut and dried as some seem to think.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 09, 2004, 09:29:00 PM »
Ian finished his water, his supply already reduced during the previous night's hike, and began to complain of thirst. Some teens shared their water, and Hale gave him half of her quart at one point. Ian drank it in a gulp.
    The group crossed three ridges, one hill after another. Ian labored, at times stumbling. Two teens started urging him along.
    "Come on, man, you can do it," one teen told Ian, according to a witness statement taken by the Millard County Sheriff's Office.
    But as Ian crested that final hill around 11:30 a.m., after hiking 1.4 miles, all he could see before him was more of the same: up, down, up and down, an undulating landscape of sagebrush, native grasses, broken shale and scattered junipers and pinyon trees. To his right spread the Sevier Desert, empty and browned under the summer sun.
    On the ridge, Ian stood still, his body already in the process of shutting down as his blood thickened in the heat and he became delirious. One teen noted Ian didn't seem to know what was going on.
    "Come on, man." Ian didn't respond. "You can go down this hill willingly or we can put you down it," his hiking companion said.
    Gause, who had reached the crest of the next hill, watched the agitated teens as they spent approximately 20 minutes trying to get Ian moving.
    "Come on, man, who dogs it on the downhill?" one frustrated teen asked Ian.
    Ian just stood there, dazed and sweating "like a pig."
    The teen grabbed him and began pulling him along. Ian finally responded.
    "Oh, I can do it," he said.
    When Ian didn't move, the boys threatened to drag him to the next camp.
    "No, I can do it," Ian said. And then he sat down. The two teens pulled off Ian's 29-pound backpack, and Ian lay against it.
    One teen backtracked to Hale, who was about 20 yards away. She called out to him: "Ian, get your pack on and let's go."
    When Hale reached Ian, he stood briefly and then sank back down to his pack.
    "So do you need a break? Are you tired? What's the problem?" Hale asked Ian. He crossed his arms and stared at her. Hale tried to cajole Ian into moving for about 20 minutes. According to one teen's taped statement, Hale nudged Ian with her foot, shook him and slapped his face to try to rouse him from his stupor. Finally, she pulled out her radio and called Mark Wardle, who was in Delta.
    "I can't convince Ian that he needs to continue hiking," she told Wardle. "What should I do?"
[Uh, check his temp? Give him some water? Allow him to rest and cool down?]

Wardle told her to check Ian's consciousness by doing a "hand drop test" -- holding his arm above his face and letting it go to see how he reacted. It flushes out fakers, Hale would say later, because a conscious person will protect the face.
    Ian's arm slipped to his side.
    "I need to know if there's something wrong," Hale said to Ian. "Respond to me, tell me your name."
    "Ian," he said.
    Hale called Wardle again. "He seems to be conscious," she reported. "I can't get him to hike. What should I do?"
    Wardle, who already had begun driving toward Marjum Pass, told Hale to pour water over Ian and move him into the shade.
    Hale beckoned to Gause to come assist her. Ian now lay on the ground, motionless, his eyes open and occasionally making contact although his breathing was "strange," a mixture of a moan and a cry.
    The counselors sat Ian up and tried to get him to drink water. It merely dribbled down his face. They poured warm water from their bottles over his head, chest and back.
    The noon sun had burned down on the dying teen for more than an hour when Gause grabbed Ian's torso and Hale held his feet and "pulled" him 10 feet to a patch of shade under a pinyon tree.
    Still convinced Ian was faking illness, the two counselors split up -- Hale [an EMT] running ahead to check on the rest of the clan and Gause moving 30 to 50 feet away so he could observe Ian from behind another tree.
    Gause noticed Ian's moans stopped minutes after Hale left -- proof, he figured, that Ian was acting. Gause waited about 10 minutes and then crept closer to Ian.
    As Hale made her way back to the tree, Wardle called for an update.
    "How is Ian doing?" Hale yelled over to Gause, who, figuring his cover was blown, hurried to the tree.
    Ian had stopped breathing and lacked a pulse.
    Sitting alone under the pinyon, Ian August had died.

Sorry, they're all guilty. Mark Wardle included. Two hours passed from the time when Ian could no longer hike and the time rescuers were called. Sitting in the sun, baking to death. There is no reasonable justification for what they did to that child.

Offline redtail

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 10, 2004, 03:43:00 PM »
Yes, the people at Skyline Journey certainly bear some enormous responsibility for this tragedy.  I''m not arguing otherwise.  I left the company about a year previous to this death because I saw a lot of problems at the company that no one seemed willing to face.

One of the benefits of a forum like this is that these problems are brought out in the open.  What I would clarify is that this does not all come from the uptight, overstrict, behavior modification, thought control philosophy.  Some of it comes with the "hands off," let the students run things, let the staff come up with their own answers approach.  

The other problem is that these programs (whether Mormon or non-Mormon owned) are conceived and ran largely by people of strong idealistic temperament.  They  (like the rest of us, I suppose) have blind spots they don't want to look at.

The incredible idealism of these people makes some of these programs very positive for some youth, who thrive on the attention and positive feedback from idealistic staff.  The shadow side to this is that an untempered idealist often has the tendency to reject any negative feedback and to maintain the illusion that the physical world is not all that real, and that therefore all physical challenges can be overcome by spiritual resolve or faith.  

Some of the idealists I deal with seem to have an incredible amount of sympathy for people in spiritual pain, but show a surprising incredulousness to physical pain.  When they see a kid struggling with a backpack, they assume it is a spiritual weakness or denial.  I tend to look for a problem in technological or physical construction and stop to make adjustments, and am therefore seen as a coddler.  

It's not just that.  Many of these people tend to dismiss all negative feedback as a problem of attitude, faith, or will.  It can be very annoying and has caused me much anger.  From my experience at Skyline Journey, in my more understanding moments, I can see such an event stemming from this base, rather than outright conscious brutality.  (Though I saw a certain amount of what I perceived as sadism at SJ, it seemed directed towards field staff, not students).

I have my own blind spots.  So I have to realise that every trip out into the woods is filled with danger as well as promise.  Perhaps that's the way it is- nothing ventured, nothing gained.  It is indeed a sobering thought, and I thank you all for bringing that to remembrance.  More accountability is in order.  But I think that part of that accountability would come in to the companies themselves if they would hire more pessimists, logistics people, and technologically oriented people to work directly in the field so all bases are covered.

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 27, 2006, 10:17:00 PM »
Victim's mom decries teen program's return
Utah teen-help industry: She wants the owners, whose first license was revoked, to be banned from the business
By Kirsten Stewart
The Salt Lake Tribune
Salt Lake Tribune

http://fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?to ... t=0#168564
gt;>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Hidden Lake Academy, after operating 12 years unlicensed will now be monitored by the state. Access information on the Federal Class Action lawsuit against HLA here: http://www.fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?t=17700