Author Topic: SEPT. 21: Montel Williams Show on Medical Cannabis  (Read 2261 times)

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
SEPT. 21: Montel Williams Show on Medical Cannabis
« on: September 17, 2004, 08:02:00 PM »
To: ARO
Sent: Friday, September 17, 2004 2:31 PM
Subject: ARO: SEPT. 21: Montel Williams Show on Medical Cannabis

Hello Everyone,

September 21, 2004
The Montel Williams Show   ---   Topic:  Medical Cannabis -- A full hour
of mmj.
In the CA Bay Area it Airs on Channel 2 at 10:00am or at 5:00pm

The Montel Williams Show airs on Channel 2 at 10:00am and at 5:00pm.  I
am not sure which time it will air, my guess is the 5:00pm showing.

The Montel William Show will be airing it's first medical cannbis show.
Montel is a MS patient who uses medical cannabis.  The entire hour will
be focused around medical cannbis.  Guest on the show include:  Angel
McClary Raich who has a case pending before the US Supreme Court, Irv
Rosenfeld who is one of the federal governments IND patients, Rob Kampia
from Marijuana Policy Project, Donald Abrams, M.D. who does medical
cannabis research, Debbie Jeffery's and her mother spoke about Debbie
son Jeffery who used cannabis, and other guests along with Andrea
Barthwell who was Deputy Director at the Office of National Drug Control
Policy.

See Montel chew Andrea apart!  This will be a good show!

--
Compassion and Justice,
Angel McClary Raich
[email protected]
510-764-1499

Fresh beauty opens one's eyes wherever it is really seen, but the very abundance and completeness of the common beauty that besets our steps prevents its being absorbed and appreciated. It is a good thing, therefore, to make short excursions now and then to the bottom of the sea among dulse and coral, or up among the clouds on mountain-tops, or in balloons, or even to creep like worms into dark holes and caverns underground, not only to learn something of what is going on in those out-of-the-way places, but to see better what the sun sees on our return to common everyday beauty.
-- John Muir

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2004, 09:00:00 PM »
http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/stori ... 524&EDATE=

Marijuana: Illegal Drug or Medical Treatment: Airs on THE MONTEL WILLIAMS SHOW: Tuesday, September 21, 2004

NEW YORK, Sept. 17 /PRNewswire/ -- On the Tuesday, September 21, 2004 episode of THE MONTEL WILLIAMS SHOW, Montel Williams presents a very personal appeal for the legalization of medical marijuana.  Montel publicly announces that he uses marijuana to ease the debilitating pain of Multiple Sclerosis (MS).  He is joined on the show by several guests who use medical marijuana to aid their illnesses, and experts who offer pros and cons on the topic of legalizing marijuana for medicinal purposes.

On the show, Irvin Rosenfeld, a stockbroker from Lauderhill, FL, tells Montel that he has been receiving medical marijuana from the government for over 20 years as part of a federally funded program.  He suffers from a rare condition called Multiple Congenital Cartilaginous Exostosis and says he has been enrolled with 12 others in a compassionate-care program that allows treatment with government-grown marijuana from The University of Mississippi. Though President Bush ended the program in 1992, Rosenfeld still receives medical marijuana on a monthly basis from the government.

Don Murphy, Maryland's former Republican State Delegate, says he "voted for higher penalties for large amounts of marijuana and other drugs."  But then, he says, his father died of cancer, and he learned too late of the value of medical marijuana.  According to Murphy, "My father died in 1997 of cancer, and I didn't even know marijuana's medicinal value for him."  He says he "didn't try to get it."  But, Murphy continues, "I can tell you one thing, elected or not, I would have (tried to get medical marijuana for his father to ease his pain), and I defy anyone in this audience or anyone else to say they wouldn't do the same thing."

The opposing viewpoint is stated by Dr. Andrea Barthwell, MD, former White House Office of National Drug Control Policy's Deputy Director for Demand Reduction, who says to Montel, "The problem with trying to bring medications to the marketplace through a popular vote ... is setting modern medicine back to the turn of the century."  Barthwell continues by saying, "We developed a process through which we would evaluate botanicals, biologicals, even a molecule that we found in a lab, and would manipulate that in a way to increase its efficacy, reduce its side effect, and bring it to the people in a way that protected the public health."  She claims that legalizing marijuana at this point in time, compares to "snake oil salesmen handing out medication from the back of a stagecoach."

Montel passionately rebuts her statement, referring to the government funded medical marijuana program that Rosenfeld openly discusses on the show. Williams exclaims, "Talk to me about stagecoaches.  Tell me about the stagecoach from Washington D.C. that delivers this to a pharmacy every single week!"

To which Dr. Barthwell replies, "Well, there are some exceptions, and there are other patients that could get it through exception, but what we know is that ... independent scientists who determine medicine in this country ... determined that there was potential for medication development for marijuana, but that the research should follow the same scientific principles that we follow for all other medication development."

To which Williams responds, "For 20 years in a row there's been research garnered by the US government.  You can research this guy (Irvin Rosenfeld)!"

Other guests on the show include: A mother and grandmother of an eight-year-old boy from Rocklin, CA, who claim his aggressive behavior was initially treated by over 16 psychotropic drugs with no success, until they discovered medical marijuana.  And a woman from Oakland, CA, whose body is unable to synthesize traditional medication and can only function with regular intake of medical marijuana.

Also appearing on the show are: Dr. Donald Abrams, MD, Professor of Clinical Medicine at the University of California/San Francisco; Rob Kampia, Executive Director of the Marijuana Policy Project; and Roger Curtiss, addiction counselor and director of alcohol and drug services of Anaconda/Deer Lodge, an outpatient treatment facility in Montana.

THE MONTEL WILLIAMS SHOW is a Mountain Movers production in association with Paramount Domestic Television.  Montel Williams and Diane Rappoport are executive producers.

Paramount Domestic Television is part of the Viacom Entertainment Group, which includes the Paramount Motion Picture Group, Paramount Television Production, Paramount Worldwide Television Distribution, Simon & Schuster and Paramount Enterprises (which is comprised of Paramount Parks, Famous Players Inc., Paramount's interest in United Cinemas International, Famous Music Publishing, Consumer Products and Paramount Digital Entertainment).

Viacom Entertainment Group is part of the entertainment operations of Viacom Inc.

Paramount Television Group is part of the entertainment operations of Viacom Inc. (NYSE: VIA)

SOURCE Paramount Domestic Television  

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

More news from PR Newswire...

Issuers of news releases and not PR Newswire are solely responsible for the accuracy of the content. Terms and conditions, including restrictions on redistribution, apply. Copyright © 1996-2004 PR Newswire Association LLC. All Rights Reserved. A United Business Media company.  

The optimist thinks that this is the best of all possible worlds, and the pessimist knows it.
--  J. Robert Oppenheimer

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2004, 10:55:00 AM »
I wonder if Montel enjoys an occasional bowl of TBPITW.

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2004, 08:31:00 PM »
Actually, Montel uses MMJ to treat multiple sclerosis. This show is his official coming out. I don't think he's every addressed the issue on his show before this. I don't know, I don't watch the show, but I hadn't heard of it. I have seen some public statements on the topic from him.  

I heard from someone who was there for the taping that, together, Montel and his other assembled guests tore Barthwel the hell up. This should make for some very entertaining and informative viewing!

...the people have a right to keep and bear arms.
-- Patrick Henry and George Mason Debates

10/80 - 10/82
Anonymity Anonymous
Some days, it's just not worth chewing through the leather straps.

Offline Cynthia

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2004, 02:00:00 AM »
Too bad it isn't going to be on a more respected show such as 20/20, Dateline or 60 minutes. It is unfortunate because the older folks wouldn't touch it unless it was legal. Drugs just weren't around when my Dad was younger and he thinks that pot and crack are equally bad. Fortunatly, he isn't ill, but there are many that think like him and would suffer before breaking the law. I do wonder how they could regulate this. It would have to be grown in hot houses and be dispensed at the pharmacy. I think because it needs to be smoked, it will be a tough one to pass.
 Being as old as myself and not having smoked for years, is there any other way to get high from it that is reasonable? Hash caplets?

Offline idioteque

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2004, 08:55:00 PM »
I think because it needs to be smoked, it will be a tough one to pass.
Being as old as myself and not having smoked for years, is there any other way to get high from it that is reasonable? Hash caplets?

Some people report success with hash caplets (hashish or kief saturated with fatty oil and placed in capsule form). Also orally effective is the ubiquitous "special brownie." Butter with extracted THC can be used in all sorts of cooking applications. However, many users insist there is a qualitative difference in the effects (ingested THC is generally agreed to produce more of a "physical high" than the markedly psychoactive one that accompanies smoking).

As for smoking, there is a new form of smoke-less inhalation called "vaporizing." The marijuana is placed on a specialized heating element contained by glass and the resulting THC-active mist is inhaled through a tube (imagine an unholy marriage of crock pot and hookah.) Many medical patients report great success with this system.

Finally there is Marinol. Marinol is an FDA-approved pill that contains synthetic THC. Efficacy is widely disputed, even by clinical trials.

For more information, visit erowid.org or yahooka.com. There's a wealth of information about this out there.

Offline Deborah

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2004, 01:43:00 PM »
I have some great news. Representative Elliott Naishtat has announced that he will author a medical marijuana bill during the 2005 Texas legislative session!

We believe the bill has a strong chance of passing due to the overwhelming public support for this issue. Last month a statewide poll was released which stated that 75% of Texans support medical marijuana legislation. Earlier this week AARP released a nationwide poll showing that 72% of people over 45 years old support changing the law to protect medical marijuana patients from arrest.

So, to convince the legislators to pass the bill we are organizing a Lobby Day at the State Capitol. Medical Marijuana Lobby Day will be Thursday, February 17th in Austin. I sure hope you will be able to attend!

We are holding organizational meetings in Dallas, Houston, San Antonio and Austin to discuss the many activities planned for Lobby Day including: a morning training session with breakfast provided, a press conference, a complementary lunch, and then legislative visits in the afternoon. If there is enough interest we will be chartering buses to bring people from Dallas, Houston and San Antonio. If one of these meeting is taking place in your area feel free to bring your friends and hear how you can participate in influencing Texas legislators to enact a medical marijuana bill for Texans.

Dallas Meeting: Monday, January 3, 2005, 7-9pm, Lakewood Branch Library, 6121 Worth Street (214-670-1376).

Houston Meeting:  Thursday, January 6, 2005, 6:30-8pm, Oak Forest Branch Library, 1349 West 43rd Street (832-393-1960.

San Antonio Meeting: Monday, January 3, 2005, 7-9pm, Bazan Branch Library, 2200 W. Commerce (210-225-1614).

Austin Meeting: Monday, January 10, 2005, 7-9pm, 1210 Rosewood (512-220-9209).

Happy Holidays,

Karen Heikkala
Public Relations Director

http://www.texansformedicalmarijuana.org
gt;>>>>>>>>>>>>>><<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Hidden Lake Academy, after operating 12 years unlicensed will now be monitored by the state. Access information on the Federal Class Action lawsuit against HLA here: http://www.fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?t=17700

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2004, 03:34:00 PM »
http://apnews.myway.com/article/20041218/D8722F0G0.html

AARP Poll: 72% of Seniors Support Medical Marijuana
Dec 18, 7:50 AM (ET)

By ELIZABETH WOLFE

[Excerpts]

WASHINGTON (AP) - Nearly three-fourths of older Americans support
legalizing marijuana for medical use, according to a poll done for the
nation's largest advocacy group for seniors.

More than half of those questioned said they believe marijuana has
medical benefits, while a larger majority agreed the drug is addictive.

AARP, with 35 million members, says it has no political position on
medical marijuana and that its local branches have not chosen sides in
the scores of state ballot initiatives on the issue in recent elections.

But with medical marijuana at the center of a Supreme Court case to be
decided next year, and nearly a dozen states with medical marijuana laws
on their books, AARP decided to study the issue.

"Overall, 72 percent of respondents agreed "adults should be allowed to
legally use marijuana for medical purposes if a physician recommends
it." Those in the Northeast (79 percent) and West (82 percent) were more
receptive to the idea than in the Midwest (67 percent) and Southwest (65
percent). In Southern states, 70 percent agreed with the statement."

See also: SATIVEX - INVESTIGATIONAL CANNABIS-BASED TREATMENT FOR PAIN AND MULTIPLE SCLEROSIS
Developed by GW Pharmaceuticals, Sativex is a whole plant medicinal cannabis extract indicated for relief of symptoms of multiple sclerosis (MS) and for treatment of severe neuropathic pain. Bayer has secured exclusive rights to market Sativex in the UK with the option to extend this to other countries in Europe and Commonwealth countries such as Canada.

http://www.drugdevelopment-technology.c ... s/sativex/

Religion is comparable to a childhood neurosis.
--Sigmund Freud, Austrian-born psychologist

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2005, 11:22:00 AM »
Marinol is marijuana in a pill form.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2005, 11:25:00 AM »
On 2004-11-13 17:55:00, idioteque wrote:

"
I think because it needs to be smoked, it will be a tough one to pass.

Some people report success with hash caplets (hashish or kief saturated with fatty oil and placed in capsule form). Also orally effective is the ubiquitous "special brownie." Butter with extracted THC can be used in all sorts of cooking applications. However, many users insist there is a qualitative difference in the effects (ingested THC is generally agreed to produce more of a "physical high" than the markedly psychoactive one that accompanies smoking).

As for smoking, there is a new form of smoke-less inhalation called "vaporizing." The marijuana is placed on a specialized heating element contained by glass and the resulting THC-active mist is inhaled through a tube (imagine an unholy marriage of crock pot and hookah.) Many medical patients report great success with this system.

Finally there is Marinol. Marinol is an FDA-approved pill that contains synthetic THC. Efficacy is widely disputed, even by clinical trials.

For more information, visit erowid.org or yahooka.com. There's a wealth of information about this out there."

I'm vaporizing right now, and I can tell you-- it's definitely the best delivery method. Eating seems like a good idea, but you have very little control over how high you are. One or two puffs of the vape in the morning, and I'm set-- pain free (back pain) for hours.

I've talked to people that have tried Marinol, they say it doesn't work at all.