Author Topic: AARC history  (Read 6831 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
AARC history
« on: September 15, 2004, 05:47:00 PM »
New book coming out soon which includes a lot of the early history of AARC. Is very positive.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
AARC history
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2004, 07:13:00 PM »
Who wrote the book? By that I mean, not what name is on it,  but who actually sat down at their computer to write it?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
AARC history
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2004, 02:29:00 PM »
You will just have to wait and see. Should dispell a lot of the bullshit, especially when comparing AARC to KIDS.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
AARC history
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2004, 06:18:00 PM »
My understanding is it is written by a graduate of AARC, and covers all parts of their life, not just AARC. Book should be available by the beginning of 2005. It was partly written to show people how the process works at AARC, and show the success with a seriously addicted youth.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
AARC history
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2004, 06:49:00 PM »
So in other words it is another biased testimonial that is slightly more than a strategic marketing attempt made by an AARC graduate to influence the masses that they have a successful modality of treatment for the chemically addicted adolescent?

As a fresh green graduate from the cultic rehab that I graduated from years ago, I would have been equally as eager to publish such an egocentrically motivated autobiography giving all praise to my program.  In hindsight, I am glad I never penned such a thing.  Today, it is a very different book in which I would write regarding that whole experience.

I would like to read someone's side by side comparison as to how AARC differs from the KIDS franchise as you mentioned.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
AARC history
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2004, 07:45:00 PM »
A biased testimonial? Well, if you consider that it is from someone who actually went through the program, then yes, it is biased. Who better to write about the program than a participant? You? A person who hasn't been through it? As for being a "green graduate", the author graduated over 10 years ago, is healthy and prosperous, and does not work for AARC. But your assumptions are telling. Perhaps keeping an open mind is difficult for you, but give it a try.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
AARC history
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2004, 09:52:00 AM »
My super enhanced bionic cultvision sees through your hint of dimly shrouded program propaganda.  
This compounds the difficulty of "keeping an open mind".

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
AARC history
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2004, 11:08:00 AM »
touche! Finally some homour! Now that is an indication of intelligence, and perhaps some recovery as well. I hope you read the book. I think you will like it. Namaste.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
AARC history
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2004, 12:02:00 PM »
I cant wait for the book.
Sign me up for a few copies

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
AARC history
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2005, 03:00:00 PM »
It has taken longer than expected, but the book should be out soon. Stay tuned to this space!

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
AARC history
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2005, 01:03:00 PM »
AARC is a  lot like Capitalism. It's got many problems and some people don't do well with it. Still I have not seen anything else that works better.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
AARC history
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2005, 04:30:00 PM »
"NIH Panel Finds that Scare Tactics for Violence Prevention are Harmful -- Good news is that positive approaches show promise"

The NIH study found that these are better alternatives than using scare tactics and the like:

http://www.fftinc.com/model.php

and

http://www.mstservices.com/text/treatment.html
and see this for a list of programs in different states:
http://www.mstservices.com/text/licensed_agencies.htm

Maybe read up on some alternatives that have been PROVEN to work?? NoOtice any striking differences that could be the reason they work better??

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
AARC history
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2005, 09:40:00 PM »
You have done some homework. The first web page you list http://www.fftinc.com/model.php
looks good. It seems to have a mission statement, goals, objectives, re-evaluation and re-focus with an eye to relapse as part of recovery. Hmmm...seems like AARC without any commitment but looks good.

The second one http://www.mstservices.com/text/treatment.html
I thought had a lot of big words, blamed everyone else including the system and would provide a lot of jobs for people in he social services industry on the taxpayers dollar. Would be interested to see their real success rates. The page talks around the issue of success in vague terms:

"preliminary findings from our current study evaluating MST as an alternative to psychiatric hospitalization (Henggeler, Rowland, et al., 1997) show an 85 percent reduction in days hospitalized, which should translate to considerable cost savings when the formal cost analyses are conducted for this project. Finally, these cost savings are especially noteworthy when the superior clinical outcomes and reductions in criminal activity demonstrated by MST are considered."

I guess that means they are helping those people needing help??

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
AARC history
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2005, 10:48:00 PM »
Well so you're going to ignore what the research says, the research done by the National Institute of Health...OK.

And the first one is nothing like AARC. If you are confused and think this, it is because AARC has taken the vocabulary from more acceptable approaches and redefined everything in their own sick way. That would be the source of your confusion. Notice that everything also applies to the parents. The method of achieving the goals listed, I promise, are nothing remotely like what goes on at AARC. They teach then how to ask for what they need. Something severely lacking at AARC. They teach them how to communicate their feelings (no blaming) but this means their REAL feelings. This would include anger, fear, confusion, anything. AARC doesn't let that happen, it's only certain feelings. Look at the therapist skills list to see what they value. This is things like positive reinforcement, reframing things in a more positive light and things like that.

I dont' understand your last statement.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
AARC history
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2005, 10:54:00 PM »
In other words, the therapist would model the behavior the parents should, to get them to talk about their feelings, and then get them to say it to the parents. There isn't any lecturing or criticism here. It's all very affirming and based on responding positively. That's how the underlying stuff comes up...through trust. TRUST. SAFETY. You have it all backwards.