Author Topic: 2 U.S.-Affiliated Academies Abroad Are Shut Down  (Read 1489 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
2 U.S.-Affiliated Academies Abroad Are Shut Down
« on: September 12, 2004, 11:22:00 PM »
http://www.nytimes.com/2004/09/13/inter ... exico.html

By TIM WEINER

Published: September 13, 2004

he overseas programs of one of America's largest behavior modification associations for teenagers were shuttered yesterday after authorities closed one program in Mexico holding more than 500 youths and Hurricane Ivan struck a second in Jamaica, with 300 youths.

The Casa by the Sea program in Ensenada, Mexico, and Tranquility Bay, in St. Elizabeth, Jamaica, were two of the largest and most profitable programs of the World Wide Association of Specialty Programs and Schools, or Wwasps, of St. George, Utah.

Mexican immigration officials said teenagers at Casa by the Sea showed signs of mistreatment in an inspection on Friday. Teenagers at Tranquility Bay, on Jamaica's southern coast, were sent to a hotel nearby after the guests had been evacuated as the hurricane approached.

In interviews with The New York Times last year, scores of teenagers and many of their parents said the techniques Wwasps used in Mexico and Jamaica included physical abuse, long solitary confinement and little professional treatment.

Program officials in Mexico and Jamaica, who could not be reached for comment over the weekend, said last year that the programs were tough but not abusive.

Casa by the Sea, which opened in 1998, and Tranquility Bay, founded in 1996, were the overseas flagships of Wwasps. A program in Costa Rica closed last year after a government inspection led to a revolt by teenagers against the administration.

The Wwasps overseas programs paid less, charged lower fees - roughly $35,000 a year - and faced lower licensing and legal hurdles than similar programs in the United States. Several thousand American teenagers had been enrolled in the overseas programs in the last eight years. Wwasps says it is one of the fastest-growing groups of its kind.

Casa by the Sea, which is housed in a hotel 60 miles south of San Diego, had nearly 600 youths enrolled last year. Mexican officials who closed it after a surprise inspection on Friday could not be reached by telephone.

Some children were picked up by their parents in Ensenada and Tijuana, Mexico, and others were being taken to a hotel in San Diego, parents said. Many may be transferred to Wwasps affiliates in Utah, Montana, New York, California, Iowa and South Carolina, which have a total of about 1,500 youths.

Tranquility Bay, also housed in an old hotel by the sea, was struck by Hurricane Ivan hours after the raid in Mexico. Parents said they were told that the 300 children there would be moved to another hotel nearby.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2004, 11:24:00 PM »
Got that off a google search posted 50 minutes ago:

http://news.google.com/news?q=St.+Eliza ... F-8&tab=wn

Offline darkhunterhope

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2004, 11:58:00 PM »
Okay, so those of you who really know me, know that I am passionate about the Provo subject. Well on 10 news today I saw that 3 borading schools in Mexico were shut down. One of them is called Casa by the Sea, which is run by Dr. Robert Linchfield. Robert Linchield and Dr. Robert H. Crist founded PCS together back in the day till it was shut down in the 80's for child abuse, it was then reopened later on, but Linchfield went in another direction and opened RTC's all over the world because then he could do almost anything to the children and parents really almost cannot get their children back. Anyways, I have been trying for years to get the medias attention and I was likeholly shit! This is the time, this is the time for change. So I called 10 news and told them that I have loads of information for them and lots of dirt, and they were at my house in like 40 min. So I did a interview with them and it will air tonight at 11 and loop until 5am, and that's good cause then I don't really have to worry about campers, cause that was a HUGE worry for me. But this is SSOOOOOOO important to me. And I have so much more information for them, so he told me to e-mail him and I did. And I literally almost started to cry in front of the camera, cause he just hit some really sad spots of mine, and I had to really stop and suck it back and be like come on don't do this not now, cause I hate crying in front of people and then all of San Diego, you know, not good, not for me anyways. But I'm so happy and excitied, because it's like finally! Maybe a change has come, maybe something will really happen, and it was just the best feeling in the world, I mean I haven't felt that gleeful in such a long time, it was just a damn good feeling.
o be able to look back upon one\'s past life with satisfaction is to live twice.

-  Marcus Valerius Martial

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2004, 12:16:00 AM »
Man, it's a shame we can't view KGTV News 10 (correct station right?) live on the net :sad:

I am really happy for you and hope the interview goes well on the air, can you let us know please? There are a lot of us out here working on community improvement too. I know it is a great relief for me to see these WWASP assholes getting the publicity they TRULY deserve!

Now, lets hope that these people in the U.S. Government get off their dead asses and investigate the welfare of 300 hundred children trapped in Jamaica somewhere.

Offline Nihilanthic

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2004, 03:46:00 AM »
PLEASE tell me someone recorded this!!!

Everybody's lost just waiting to be found. Everyone's a thought just waiting to fade.
-- Billy Corgan of The Smashing Pumpkins

DannyB on the internet:I CALLED A LAWYER TODAY TO SEE IF I COULD SUE YOUR ASSES FOR DOING THIS BUT THAT WAS NOT POSSIBLE.

CCMGirl on program restraints: "DON\'T TAZ ME BRO!!!!!"

TheWho on program survivors: "From where I sit I see all the anit-program[sic] people doing all the complaining and crying."