Author Topic: The Tampa Screw-Up  (Read 1144 times)

Offline 85 Day Jerk

• View Profile
The Tampa Screw-Up
« on: August 14, 2002, 10:07:00 PM »
One of the darker periods of my program was the wonderful weeks that followed the Tampa Screwup.  During the summer months of 1978, the price of gasoline skyrocketed.  The folks living in Hillsborough, Pasco, Polk, Sarasota, and Manatee Counties were hit pretty hard.  One by one, families had to give up their newcomers because it cost too damn much to drive to the building every day.  They even cut some slack to the 3rd and 4th phasers.  It got to the point where they only had to attend Fri open meeting and all day Sat & Sun and that was it.  With all that freedom and no newcomer responsibility,
alot of them started messing around.  It was not long before several were back on drugs and "conning" their way through the program.
It was ludicris.  They would get baked in the car on the drive over from Tampa, hit the visine, come into group, and confront people like me!!!  I had my suspicions, but
who was going to listen to a lowly 1st phaser
on a court ordered program that had only recently stopped being a jerk?  The screw-up
first happened in May of 1978, and did not surface until September, when we moved from the Milton Roy/Silor Optical building to the Morgan Yacht Building behind Tyrone Mall.  Once the word got out all hell broke loose.
End of Part One...............
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
Inside a warehouse behind Tyrone Mall
we walked in darkness, kept hitting the wall.
I took the time to feel for the door,
I had been \"treated\" but what the hell for?

Offline MommaDebi

• View Profile
The Tampa Screw-Up
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2002, 07:22:00 PM »
I was in that same building for my incarceration in the "Seed" Straight's parent program. Got damn hot in there....didn't it?
I went by there the other day when I was in St Pete, felt sorta strange to sit outside it and remember those "physical" exercises, those horrible canned meat sandwiches, or pimento loaf ones...
To this day I have never made my son drink KoolAid (he's 18 now :smile: lol)
debi
can't wait for part two...
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
...every five years I look back on my life and have a good laugh...\" {Indigo Girls~~ \"The Watershed\"}