Author Topic: Art's Motives . . In the Beginning & Later ???  (Read 2573 times)

Offline Filobeddoe

• View Profile
Art's Motives . . In the Beginning & Later ???
« on: August 21, 2004, 11:10:00 PM »
Until I stumbled on this board... I really hadn't thought much about The Seed for years. Some would say it's because the horrendous memories needed to be suppressed (i'm exaggerating to make a point) while others might think it was a good/bad experience (like other experiences in life) that happened a long time ago.

My QUESTION really is this: What was Art Barker's "thoughts" and intentions when he first developed the program? Were they to really help others who were in trouble or did he plan to aspire for power and/or wealth & be the "leader" of a large group/following?

Did he start out doing good things for the "right reasons" then something went wrong?

I personally don't know Art. I saw him of course while in the program several times, spoke of him often in raps, passed out brochures for him when he was running for some political office in '76, listened to him (and Shelley) in open meetings- but was not in his "inner circle". We never had a personal or private conversation. He never asked me for my opinion about anything. I graduated after 12 mos & never really looked back.

There is a saying that 'power corrupts & absolute power corrupts absolutely' & I wonder if that happened? I don't know & probably never will, but judging by all the harsh feelings I hear from others... maybe this did happen.

If someone who was in the "inner circle" would shed some light & share their opinions about Art's real thinking it would be interesting to alot of people I would think.

Is/was Art an evil person or a maligned good person?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2004, 12:44:00 AM »
The mother fucker stole my family from me when I was about 6 years old. I don't think I can really be objective. Good intentions don't count when you're fucking w/ other people's lives.

And I doubt very seriously that any of the inner circle are allowed to post here.

I'm for truth, no matter who tells it. I'm for justice, no matter who it is for or against. I'm a human being first and foremost, and as such I am for whoever and whatever benefits humanity as a whole

--Malcolm X

"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline Filobeddoe

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2004, 12:55:00 AM »
I understand your feelings Antigen. He is responsible for screwing up your life & some of your family's.... and from what I have read, you are one of many who feel that way (My own feelings aren't so clear-cut).

By inner circle.. I don't really expect anyone still close to Art to respond, but there are alot of former jr staff & sr staff who knew Art alot better than me & can maybe offer some thoughts?

Offline GregFL

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2004, 03:56:00 PM »
Art's Motives?

One can only speculate...I think he initally wanted to help kids with what he had been thru...the AA techniques.. People in the seed very early have indicated it wasn't restrictive at all.

As his ego blew up (like most cults I might add) he started believing the seed was there to save the youth of america and he was solely qualified to make this happen, started requiring or coveting the hero worship he was getting, and everything went weird from there.

Offline GregFL

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2004, 03:58:00 PM »
That political office thing he ran for in 76?  that would be congress.

That means you were there when Maggie showed up from ST Pete, and when the incident at the poolside happened...I have asked questions about both Maggie and about the pool incident in front of girl's staff...ever know Maggie or hear of that occurance?

thanks.

Offline GregFL

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2004, 04:01:00 PM »
One last thing Filobee...you didn't "stumble" onto this board...you actively searched it out. It is impossible to just stumble upon this discussion site.

Offline Filobeddoe

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2004, 06:40:00 PM »
First to respond to a couple questions....

The political office he ran for may have been Congress?... or County Commissioner? I don't recall. In my scrapbook I have a copy of a bumper sticker (white background with Art Barker in big red letters) and a photo of him from the brochure but the part I kept didn't say what the office was. All I remember about it was that he lost & I passed out some brochures and may have put a bumper sticker on my car.

Don't remember anything about the poolside incident with you & Art. He wouldn't have mentioned it to anyone in the group unless he could have used it as a way to impress people. He probably kept it quiet & only people there & sr staff knew about it. Seems like something he wouldn't want anybody to know about? Might have been quite embarrassing to him.

I "did" stumble across this board... did a search for The Seed Art Barker because I was thinking about an old friend from the seed & found this board. Your statement to the contrary seems to suggest you didn't believe what I said?
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

As to the original topic... everyone can have a theory (conspiracy theory or otherwise) or an opinion as to the motives of this person (Art Barker) but only a few prople really have a good idea.

People who were on staff saw things & heard things that most of us never knew about & might offer some insight into this man. It would have been interesting to be a "fly on the wall" during meetings with the inner circle.

I personally would like to know if he was a) a Great Man b) a egotistical meglomaniac or c) something else....

Offline shanlea

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2004, 06:55:00 PM »
Try B and C and let your imagination do the walking in filling in C.
hanlea

Offline GregFL

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2004, 08:04:00 PM »
I only meant that you had to go searching for this site, you really can't just stumble upon it like you might a well publised site. You can't even type "the seed" into a browser, you gotta couple it with "Art Barker" to get a hit.

The seed was a big part of all of our young lives. I don't blame you for looking for some discussion of it.  

Glad to have you around here, and I have no reason to doubt one word you have said...

Offline GregFL

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2004, 08:06:00 PM »
Filobbe, in 76 or 77 he ran for Congress in Broward County, Florida and lost. It was during my post seed days and I felt it totally crazy that he would even be considered.

Offline GregFL

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2004, 08:09:00 PM »
On 2004-08-22 15:40:00, Filobeddoe wrote:

I personally would like to know if he was a) a Great Man b) a egotistical meglomaniac or c) something else....

"

There is a thread here full of quotes from Art Barker during his heyday. Read his own words and draw your own conclusion. Your opinion of him is your own......

http://www.fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.ph ... forum=8&26

Offline Filobeddoe

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2004, 11:17:00 PM »
There is a thread here full of quotes from Art Barker during his heyday. Read his own words and draw your own conclusion.

Of course, anything he was quoted as saying would be self-serving.... he was intelligent & would be careful what he said to a reporter.

But, I suppose you could draw some conclusions about his ambition/delusion? of having The Seed all across the country. I recall one time Darlene mentioning Art wanted to have programs all over the country...

Offline GregFL

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2004, 12:06:00 PM »
On 2004-08-22 20:17:00, Filobeddoe wrote:

"

There is a thread here full of quotes from Art Barker during his heyday. Read his own words and draw your own conclusion.

Of course, anything he was quoted as saying would be self-serving.... he was intelligent & would be careful what he said to a reporter.

You sure about that?

:grin: