Author Topic: Senator Tom Harkin  (Read 889 times)

Offline thepatriot

• View Profile
Senator Tom Harkin
« on: August 19, 2004, 10:26:00 AM »
Thursday, Aug. 19, 2004 8:48 a.m. EDT

Harkin Lied About Vietnam War Record

Sen. Tom Harkin, who called Vice President Dick Cheney a "coward" on Tuesday for not serving in Vietnam, has been exposed for lying about his own Vietnam service - or, rather, lack thereof.

"Senator Harkin is a proven fabricator when it comes to his own Vietnam-era record," reports the Wall Street Journal in Thursday editions.

Revisiting its own 1979 report on the tart-tongued Iowa Democrat, the Journal notes:

"In 1979, Mr. Harkin, then a congressman, participated in a round-table discussion arranged by the Congressional Vietnam Veterans' Caucus. 'I spent five years as a Navy pilot, starting in November of 1962,' Mr. Harkin said at that meeting, in words that were later quoted in a book, Changing of the Guard, by Washington Post political writer David Broder. 'One year was in Vietnam. I was flying F-4s and F-8s on combat air patrols and photo-reconnaissance support missions. I did no bombing.'"

The Journal continues:

"That clearly is not an accurate picture of his Navy service. . . . Mr. Harkin's Navy record shows his only decoration is the National Defense Service Medal, awarded to everyone on active service during those years. He did not receive either the Vietnam Service medal or the Vietnam Campaign medal, the decorations given to everyone who served in the Southeast Asia theater."

"It turned out Mr. Harkin had not seen combat and was stationed in Japan."

In fact, rather than doing his part to beat back global Communism, Harkin was actually an aider and abettor to Moscow's cause.

Unnoted in today's Journal report; in 1986 Harkin famously traveled to Managua, Nicaragua to assure Fidel Castro's proxy Daniel Ortega that Senate Democrats were working overtime to thwart President Reagan's efforts to bring Democracy to the region.

With him on the mission - fellow peacenik Sen. John Kerry.

Man I am sick of all of these idiots on the hill making issues of their Vietnam record, they are all full of shit, Dubya...well he dissapears, Kerry 2 out of three purple hearts were bullshit and he only spent a few months in country anyway 3 months which should have been a 12 month tour, Harkin falsifies his record, Dick Cheney..well defferment yeah thats what happens when your come from a family with a lot of doe you are above the rest of us working stiffs. I imagine at that time he was being schooled to rip off retirement accounts of the working class. Shit will the real vietnam heros standup please....Tom McCain...the rest of you idiots need to have a seat and shut the F@#$ up.....give me a break please.

[ This Message was edited by: thepatriot on 2004-08-19 07:29 ]
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
arasota Straight Escapee

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
Senator Tom Harkin
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2004, 01:05:00 PM »
I'm tellin' ya, man! Our Federal government parted ways w/ our Constitution long ago. No one should be very surprised over the result. It's high time state and local governments started doing their job and pimp slap the Feds back down to their rightful role in a Constitutional Republic.

The right of self-defense is the first law of nature; in most governments it has been the study of rulers to confine this right within the narrowest possible limits. ... and [when] the right of the people to keep and bear arms is, under any color or pretext whatsoever, prohibited, liberty, if not already annihilated, is on the brink of destruction.
-- St. George Tucker, Judge of the Virginia Supreme Court 1803

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes