Author Topic: Straight alumni with teens today...your perspectives????  (Read 1600 times)

Offline Tampa survivor

• View Profile
Straight alumni with teens today...your perspectives????
« on: July 29, 2002, 11:36:00 PM »
As a parent with a teen today, I wonder sometimes where the line of "reasonable teen mis-steps" crosses to a "problem" with our experience with straight and our own selves prior to the program.  My kid is popular and our house is the one where lots of kids hang out, so I know them well, and hear all about the things 13,14 and 15 types are into today.  Do other parents out there have any stories or experiences with a rebel in the house after being one yourself?  
Bill
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
Bill H
St Pete & Atlanta, never surrendered!
12/80-12/82

Offline MommaDebi

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2002, 12:52:00 AM »
I have two different experiences.

My son who just turned 18,and graduated High School, Starts at New College of Florida in August. He has been a wonderful, trusting, responsible, open and loving son. I am sure that he did some things that I assume all kids do, In fact there were a couple of times that I thought he might have come home high.

I did not confront him those few times. I know it seems crazy, but I actively chose NOT to confront it. #1 I was not sure, #2 I did not want to accuse him....I was always accused of doing things that I did not do as a child...I did not want to pass that behavior on to my son.

He was a straight A student (4.85 gpa when Graduated), JROTC officer and Commander, Nat Honor Society Chaplain,Student Council Representative for his Jr & Sr class.He also has worked for a Local Law Firm for the past 2.5 years.His curfew was 11pm until 11th grade then it became midnight.Thought he would challenge the curfew when he became a Senior,but never did. He only missed it twice and called both times to let me know he was going to be late.

He was/is always polite,friends are over here all the time,has a focus,talks of his life goals and feels he has a strong moral code of ethics that he is very proud of. (IE wants to wait until he is married before he has sex....don't know how long that will last but the longer the better from this parent's perspective LOL.)

Those are the reasons I decided to let my suspicions remain just that. Should those items, (or as I think of them "parameters") started to be different~~ I would have acted differently.

I have always been open to him about the mistakes I have made in my life. I always spoken with reality when discussing different drugs, their effects and their consequences. He takes great pride in the fact that he is "smarter than I am" !! LOL-- whatever works right?!!  

debi

[ This Message was edited by: MommaDebi on 2002-07-29 21:55 ]
...every five years I look back on my life and have a good laugh...\" {Indigo Girls~~ \"The Watershed\"}

Offline MommaDebi

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2002, 01:14:00 AM »
On the other hand, my stepson was placed in a rehab (the ARC of Bradenton) when he was 17 (now 22) by the courts because of his troubles with the law [he stupidly did a B&E on a dealers house, as it was being watched by cops], his truancy, and his admitted drug and alcohol use. It was a very stressful time for all of us. Still is at times.

1 1/2 years ago had to pay a dealer almost $8,000 to get him out of trouble.

I have never lived with this child, although I have dated his father (for 7 years, now married almost 5) from the time he was turning 11.

I can say that I think I know what happened to him. He was always in the way w/mom & men,she's been married three times to violently abusive men since my husband.

I remember how she would go in her room and lock the door when the son was 14-15 and acting out, hitting the walls, throwing things....did not contact his father until this behavior had been occuring regularily for quite some time. She has always put down his father (he is a recovering addict/alcoholic) telling her son "he was just like him". She let him stay home so much from school in the 8th & 9th grade, because he had a headache,renting him videos and stuff to do while she was at work and him home "sick".

By the time he was in the rehab he had only enough credits to be considered barely a Sophmore and he was turning 18! Yet she demanded he return to school instead of getting GED and going on to some VoTech class.

She would call me and tell me her troubles and ask what I would do. Yet she never did anything I suggested. Even when he cursed her and said "My life sucks", the phone, the TV, the stereo, the car all stayed in his possesion. I would have made his life suck so he would have known the difference!!LOL.

He used to tell me, when he was 12-13, how his mom said that "smoking pot makes your brain bleed" and other nonsense stuff. So of course, when he did smoke it, and nothing happened, he believed the rest of her warnings were bullshit too.

I went to him and tried to warn him, tried to get him to "play the game" (ie "wait until you are in the car w/buddies before saying what a bitch your Mom is." you know the basic courtesy and respect game goes along way I think)

I thnk it important to treat kids with courtesy and respect and trust. Praising them for their right choices and discussing the rest of it when they are young, so that they have a strong sense of self when they are older.

I consciously parented my own son with the intent of doing things very differently than my parents did. I was never good enough, a B on a report card was cause for grounding etc.

Unforunately,She and I parented very differently and we have very different children at the end of it all.
 Of course now he wants to come live here with his father and I....he's 22, no HS diploma/GED..no focus..and lots of anger.UGH!

Oh well. I am sure we can figure out how to manage that transistion too.
...every five years I look back on my life and have a good laugh...\" {Indigo Girls~~ \"The Watershed\"}

Offline 85 Day Jerk

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2002, 02:42:00 AM »
I apply a rule from my days at straight. (Gasp!)  Empathy and Sensitivity.  That along with honesty, meaning I don't hold back any punches telling a kid I care about what I think of where they are headed, etc.  When I lived in Woodlawn, I used to let a 15 year old girl borrow my car when she needed it.  She was 10 years younger at the time, but she had earned my trust, she was responsible, and extremely mature for her age.  I was friends and neighbors with her mom, and it helped take the load off of her mom who's car had died, leaving them to have to rely on our crappy bus system.  In contrast, my neighbor's grand-daughter was 24, and there was no way in hell she was using my car, because she was a lying manipulating little tramp that could'nt be trusted.  As far as what kids do these days, it's like Forrest Gump said. "Stupid is as stupid does."
Inside a warehouse behind Tyrone Mall
we walked in darkness, kept hitting the wall.
I took the time to feel for the door,
I had been \"treated\" but what the hell for?