Author Topic: Staff Raps  (Read 2218 times)

Offline shanlea

• View Profile
Staff Raps
« on: August 01, 2004, 08:19:00 PM »
One thing I always wanted to know was if teh staff had raps amongst themselves and if they were as crazy as the house raps. Were they the same? Different?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
hanlea

Offline mad

• View Profile
Staff Raps
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2004, 08:37:00 PM »
I went to RMA in the early 1990s.  My understanding from some staff with whom I used to be close, is that they used to have staff raps facilitated by Dan Earle, Carmen Earle, or in the early days, by Mel Wasserman.  I was told that they were intense, that staff would often get nervous about them, and that they were generally thought of as helpful.  Dan and Carmen left RAM in the late 1980s and with their leaving, staff-raps stopped.

There also used to be staff-only workshops -- those too had happened during the the first 10 years of RMS's existance -- prior to my going to the school.

Best, M
n the road of experience...

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Staff Raps
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2004, 07:44:00 AM »
I was at CEDU RS when Earle was there as a counselor. Talk about megalomania this guy thought he was God's gift to mankind. It's amazing this program was based on Synanon which came from a guy who had been through AA who value humility as a fundamental quality.

Also, I heard Earle got in trouble screwing some little girl student there and was fired. I think someone was talking about it on this Yahoo group - http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/therapsheet/

Offline blownawaytheidahoway

• View Profile
Staff Raps
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2006, 03:01:00 PM »
i remember that there were a couple of staff raps and wierd camelot workshop. I attended a leadership conference, they called it, which was a chance for older staff and older students to integrate newer staff more in the program. Make what you will of it, there were some indictments made that even a few students got in on! but only if they were very careful, it wasn't really a rap, but suggestions were made on bahavior to staff. There were some strange "turnover times" especially when staff changed or left. There was a lot of shuffling towards the end of my stay.
Life is a very wonderful thing.\' said Dr. Branom... \'The processes of life, the make- up of the human organism, who can fully understand these miracles?... What is happening to you now is what should happen to any normal healthy human organism...You are being made sane, you are being made healthy.
     \'That I will not have, \' I said, \'nor can understand at all. What you\'ve been doing is to make me feel very very ill.\'
                         -Anthony Burgess
                      A Clockwork Orange

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Staff Raps
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2006, 03:09:00 PM »
I know staff had to go through propheets and there were at least some staff raps at CEDU-RS. I hear they got a little ugly.

Offline try another castle

• Registered Users
    • View Profile
Staff Raps
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2006, 04:15:00 PM »
I'm pretty sure they had staff raps, but what I remember more was the staff workshop "here forever", which I believe was run my Mel himself. The Here Forever workshop was the one after the Camelot one. I remember because for the longest time, they had a camelot poster on the board (Which happened before I got there) and then the students made a here forever poster for when the staff came out of the here forever workshop.

I remember that leadership conference. I wasn't allowed to go.

[ This Message was edited by: sorry... try another castle on 2006-03-02 13:16 ]

Offline former CEDU therapist

• View Profile
Staff Raps
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2006, 04:48:00 PM »
Geez - what a great question. I don't have any idea if they had them in Running Springs. But what I gathered about raps was that they were intense, abusive, hurtful, blaming/shaming events. Hmmm... I can think of a few staff I knew whom I would LIKE to have to go through something like that...

The descriptions of the raps that I heard were that they were the exact opposite of therapy. That kind of stuff certainly isn't therapeutic, and I think it can become a lingering, painful part of a person.

I'm wondering... having gone through a lot of "raps" (I always thought the name was stupid, as well), do former CEDU victims have difficulty with meetings in the workplace? I'm imagining - a big meeting and the CEO is unhappy... would these people be more nervous because they were subjected to raps?

On 2004-08-01 17:19:00, shanlea wrote:

"One thing I always wanted to know was if teh staff had raps amongst themselves and if they were as crazy as the house raps. Were they the same? Different?"

Offline blownawaytheidahoway

• View Profile
Staff Raps
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2006, 05:02:00 PM »
oh hell yes.
Life is a very wonderful thing.\' said Dr. Branom... \'The processes of life, the make- up of the human organism, who can fully understand these miracles?... What is happening to you now is what should happen to any normal healthy human organism...You are being made sane, you are being made healthy.
     \'That I will not have, \' I said, \'nor can understand at all. What you\'ve been doing is to make me feel very very ill.\'
                         -Anthony Burgess
                      A Clockwork Orange

Offline OKB4RMA

• View Profile
Staff Raps
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2006, 08:06:00 PM »
I don't even want to think about raps...especially the ones in propheets where EVERYBODY had to get blown away...and if you weren't getting blown away for being a dirtbag etc...then you were getting blown away for being a "lookgood"...always a lose lose situation in my mind.

And if you even tried to call a faculty on their obvious B.S. then you would systematically hear "WERE NOT TALKING ABOUT ME HERE!!!...THIS IS ABOUT YOU!!!"...and on and on...feeling free to insert expletives at random only to beat you down even further for having dared question their authority.

I have yet to hear anybody yell as loud at a sporting event, concert or any other gathering as I have heard in raps.

Offline try another castle

• Registered Users
    • View Profile
Staff Raps
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2006, 09:24:00 PM »
I'm wondering... having gone through a lot of "raps" (I always thought the name was stupid, as well), do former CEDU victims have difficulty with meetings in the workplace? I'm imagining - a big meeting and the CEO is unhappy... would these people be more nervous because they were subjected to raps?

Not workplace meetings, but I was adverse to group therapy for years. I also always immediately thought I was in trouble if one of my bosses called me into their office. (But that might just be normal for anyone.)