Author Topic: GINGER - help, please!  (Read 4683 times)

Offline former CEDU therapist

• View Profile
GINGER - help, please!
« on: July 23, 2004, 03:33:00 PM »
Ginger, would you please delete the ugly and offensive posts that have started showing up? I don't know the policies, so I'm asking in case you do delete them.
Thanks!
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Cayo Hueso

• View Profile
GINGER - help, please!
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2004, 03:42:00 PM »
You can't be serious.. :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:

Under the benign influence of our republican institutions, and the maintenance of peace with all nations whilst so many of them were engaged in bloody and wasteful wars, the fruits of a just policy were enjoyed in an unrivaled growth of our faculties and resources.
http://www.angelfire.com/pa/sergeman/foundingdocs/inaugural/madison1stinaug.html' target='_new'>James Madison

t. Pete Straight
early 80s

Offline Son Of Serbia

• View Profile
GINGER - help, please!
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2004, 04:27:00 PM »
it seems to me that the only people who would be offended by the posts on these pages are cedu sheep who are in denial...someone like, i don't know, maybe a FORMER CEDU THERAPIST!  i got a solution for you, if you don't like our posts, then how about this: GET THE FUCK OUT OF HERE!!!!  ::soapbox::

Offline Sid Vicious

• View Profile
GINGER - help, please!
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2004, 04:28:00 PM »
Piss off you bloody fucking wanker!
ou\'re so pretty you\'re vacunt

Offline mikehunt

• View Profile
    • http://suicidegirls.com/members/ilovemikeHunt/
GINGER - help, please!
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2004, 05:48:00 PM »
damn, i must have been a bit confused...
it must actually be right to spu hatred at gay people at random.

you know what, if you people honestly hate gay people and are inclined to say the werd "faggot" to hostilely showcase your disapproval, you should go right ahead... be honest.  but you should also ask yourself why you're so angry and hateful; meditate on it for a minute.
if not, just know that "fag" is a symbol of oppression which has made many individuals' lives hellish.
aura solomon

Offline Cayo Hueso

• View Profile
GINGER - help, please!
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2004, 05:53:00 PM »
Well...my laughing was at the request for Ginger to remove something.  You obviously don't know the forums or her. It's an open forum, as clearly stated.

"...In general, it's just an overall sign in America that there doesn't seem to be as much respect for authority figures, and that's a bad trend. It just strikes me that people can say whatever they want to and get away with it, and that's not good."

--But David Murrell, exec. dir. of the Florida Police Benevolent Association

t. Pete Straight
early 80s

Offline mikehunt

• View Profile
GINGER - help, please!
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2004, 05:56:00 PM »
i actually do know her.

i do believe in freedom of speech and lack of censorship.  
"fag" is a pejoratively-charged werd which provokes a more intense reaction in most people than your average werd, and upon using it, one must prepare oneself for the repercussions.
so, basically, everytime a hate-bomb is thrown out there, be prepared for the discussion which follows.
[ This Message was edited by: mikehunt on 2004-07-23 15:00 ]
aura solomon

Offline shanlea

• View Profile
GINGER - help, please!
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2004, 08:10:00 PM »
Former Cedu Therapist, I understand your appeal. Homophobes, racist and other vicious remarks only deter from the purpose of this site. I came to this site to get perspective/closure/and activism on the topic, CEDU.  In my personal life, i would not choose to hang out with a bunch of racist, sexist, homicidal moronic a-holes and it really turns me off this site. I know it turns other people who want to discuss CEDU off, too.  In fact, some no longer visit this forum for this reason, which is sad because it defeats the better intentions of posters trying to raise awareness.  On that front, it would be great to kick 'em off.

But it's probably not gonna happen here.  Some of the other sites are worse. Hey Ginger, if you are reading this thread, what is your philosophy in this regard? Is there a line that shouldn't be crossed?
hanlea

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
GINGER - help, please!
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2004, 09:55:00 PM »
On 2004-07-23 17:10:00, shanlea wrote:

Hey Ginger, if you are reading this thread, what is your philosophy in this regard? Is there a line that shouldn't be crossed?

It just happens that I did read this thread. I may go weeks or months w/o ever looking in on a particular forum, though, or days w/o even checking hot topics. So it wouldn't be practical for me to try and watch everything posted to these forums or for you to expect me to protect you from offensive material.

You probably wouldn't really like it if I did, either, cause then it wouldn't be an open, unmoderated forum reflecting the views and passions of all comers. It would be a representation of whatever I think is worth reading or writing.

The line I won't cross is the one tightly drawn around my responsibilities for myself, my kids and my own words and deeds as they effect others. I don't go around keeping adult strangers in line. Es no mi job!

First they ignore you. Then they laugh at you. Then they fight you. Then you win.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0826400035/circlofmiamithem' target='_new'> Gandhi

"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline Cayo Hueso

• View Profile
GINGER - help, please!
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2004, 10:42:00 PM »
On 2004-07-23 14:56:00, mikehunt wrote:

"i actually do know her.

i do believe in freedom of speech and lack of censorship.  

"fag" is a pejoratively-charged werd which provokes a more intense reaction in most people than your average werd, and upon using it, one must prepare oneself for the repercussions.

so, basically, everytime a hate-bomb is thrown out there, be prepared for the discussion which follows.

Don't mistake what I'm saying.  I've been round this bend before here.  Take a look.  Couldn't stand what someone else was saying...thought he crossed every damn line in the book.  And you're right...what followed his posts was an absolute blood-bath.  But in the end, because nothing was censored, we all saw him for the ass that he was.  I'm stating no opinion one way or the other about the actual issue....just an observation from one who's fought the same battle you're in now.  They've got all the rope in the world to hang themselves with.

Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0807059099/circlofmiamithem' target='_new'>Mahatma Gandhi, My Autobigraphy, p. 446

[ This Message was edited by: cayohueso on 2004-07-23 19:44 ]
t. Pete Straight
early 80s

Offline shanlea

• View Profile
GINGER - help, please!
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2004, 02:53:00 PM »
OK, what Ginger says about it not being her job to place constraints on the more abusive posts, whose job is it?  I mean I can (and should)take personal responsibility for what I say. But what about all of us who want this particular forum to be taken seriously? I want potential parents and ex-students who are dealing with the reality of CEDU to have a safe haven to vent/discuss/decide without being turned off by the total freakin' lunatics advertising various brands of hatefulness.  Is it better to tell these people they are in the wrong forum or just give their posts ABSOLUTELY NO ATTENTION WHATSOEVER.

Never mind, I may have answered my own qustion.
hanlea

Offline mikehunt

• View Profile
GINGER - help, please!
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2004, 03:02:00 PM »
i feel ya...
i'm attacking the mentality, not the language (which, i think we both agree, should not be censored).
i've been meeting a lot of anti-gay people lately... i'm just trying to get a better understanding.
aura solomon

• View Profile
GINGER - help, please!
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2004, 10:39:00 PM »
This makes me really sad. I see this forum as a serious place to discuss something very serious - abuse of kids for a profit.

The hate and anti-gay posts here are inappropriate and off-putting. How can one make an intelligent argument while spewing hatred? I'm trying to do something good here. I hate CEDU. I want to warn parents off. When they see such vituperative posts, they are less likely to take our points seriously.

I am frankly astonished at Son of Serbia's angry post.

No, Cayohueso, I don't know much about Forums. I am an old, yet very busy psychologist and don't have much time for them. This is the only such web site I've visited. So yes, I am ignorant of the policies. I simply was appealing to Ginger, and if you will read my post carefully, you'll see I clearly state that I DON'T know the policies and asking in case she does delete some. I am confident, however, that there are web sites that do censor.

So, please don't attack me, people. I am not the enemy. Ignorance, abuse, and hate are. Believe me, I am on your side. However, I am NOT on the side of hatred nor abusive language, no matter whom it comes from. These hateful posts towards gays concern me. And, by the way, I don't have a gay bone in my body. I am simply a kind and compassionate person. Please try to be one, as well. It won't hurt you.[ This Message was edited by: former CEDU therapist on 2004-08-01 22:28 ]

Offline Cayo Hueso

• View Profile
GINGER - help, please!
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2004, 12:41:00 AM »
I'm an almost 40 year old mom, I don't know anything about forums except for what I've read/done here.  I'm not attacking you, really.  As a matter of fact, the circumstance that I was refering to before was almost identical to this...bigotry and hate, just directed differently.  I just feel that if Ginger started "editing" his posts because you or me or anyone else was offended, then 1.  it would leave an oppty. for someone to say we were hiding something, and 2.  the pro program people would all be clammoring for her to start editing in their favor, so to speak.  IMO, it's better to let posts stand as they are.  Most people here are intelligent enough to weed through the bullshit.

Point taken about credibility.  It's been made many, many times here.

Ardent advocates of prohibition were obsessed by a zeal that bordered on fanaticism. They supported politicians who voted to outlaw liquor, no matter how much of it they privately consumed, and spurned politicians who voted against prohibition, no matter how sober they were personally.
http://www.ncpoliticalreview.com/1101/Ervin/cohen.htm' target='_new'>Sen. Sam Ervin, Preserving The Constitution

t. Pete Straight
early 80s

• View Profile
GINGER - help, please!
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2004, 03:44:00 AM »
Well, thank you, Cayohueso, for taking the time and effort to post your thoughtful response. I wasn't feeling attacked by you - I was, however, feeling attacked by Son of Serbia and Sid Vicious, I think. Don't know what a wanker is, and I don't know if Sid was talking to me. It's hard to tell in these posts! I'm half expecting Hell on Wheels to jump in and yell at me. I'm trying to do a good thing here and hate to see some of the  ugly and pointless posts.

You make some good points. I still do wish that the really hateful, homophobic posts could be deleted. I mean, what's the point of them here? I guess you're right - most people know idiocy when they see it. I just hate seeing it![ This Message was edited by: former CEDU therapist on 2004-07-25 00:48 ]