Author Topic: Reefer Madness (This is really lame)  (Read 1443 times)

Offline ehm

• View Profile
Reefer Madness (This is really lame)
« on: July 21, 2004, 12:40:00 AM »

Stronger pot causes policy shift
Kids treated for marijuana dependency up 142 percent

WASHINGTON (Reuters) -- Alarmed by reports that marijuana is becoming more potent than ever and that children are trying it at younger and younger ages, U.S. officials are changing their drug policies.

Pot is no longer the gentle weed of the 1960s and may pose a greater threat than cocaine or even heroin because so many more people use it. So officials at the National Institutes of Health and at the White House are hoping to shift some of the focus in research and enforcement from "hard" drugs such as cocaine and heroin to marijuana.

While drug use overall is falling among children and teenagers, the officials worry that the children who are trying pot are doing so at ever-younger ages, when their brains and bodies are vulnerable to dangerous side effects.

"Most people have been led to believe that marijuana is a soft drug, not a drug that causes serious problems," John Walters, head of the White House Office of National Drug Control Policy, said in an interview.

"(But) marijuana today is a much more serious problem than the vast majority of Americans understand. If you told people that one in five of 12- to 17-year-olds who ever used marijuana in their lives need treatment, I don't think people would remotely understand it."

Jump in pot-related detox
The number of children and teenagers in treatment for marijuana dependence and abuse has jumped 142 percent since 1992, the National Center on Addiction and Substance Abuse at Columbia University reported in April.

According to the report, children and teenagers are three times more likely to be in treatment for marijuana abuse than for alcohol, and six times likelier to be in treatment for marijuana than for all other illegal drugs combined.

And it found the age of youths using marijuana is falling. The teenagers aged 12 to 17 said on average they started trying marijuana at 13 1/2. The same survey found that adults aged 18 to 25 had first tried it at 16.

For National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA) director Dr Nora Volkow the final straw was a report her institute published in May in the Journal of the American Medical Association showing the steady growth in the potency of cannabis seized in raids.

According to the University of Mississippi's Marijuana Potency Project, average levels of THC, the active ingredient in marijuana, rose steadily from 3.5 percent in 1988 to more than 7 percent in 2003.

Volkow said many studies have shown the brain has its own so-called endogenous cannabinoids. These molecules are similar in structure to the active ingredients in marijuana and are involved in a range of activities and emotions ranging from eye function to pain regulation and anxiety.

Brain cells have receptors -- molecular doorways -- designed specifically to interact with these cannabinoids.

The cannabinoids in marijuana may use these ready-made doorways into brain cells and this is why they cause a high and reduce pain sensations. But Volkow believes the effects may go beyond the general feeling of well-being that most marijuana users seek.

Stronger pot's effect on younger brains
"I would predict that stronger pot makes the brain less likely to respond to endogenous cannabinoids," Volkow said in an interview. The effects could be especially marked in young brains still growing and learning how to respond to stimuli, she said.

While the research so far is inconclusive, Volkow believes that cannabinoids affect the developing brain and that stronger pot, combined with earlier use, could make children and teenagers anxious, unmotivated or perhaps even psychotic.

As an analogy, Volkow said opiate addicts are more sensitive to pain, as their overuse of drugs have raised the threshold at which the body responds and their own bodies produce fewer natural opiates.

NIDA is seeking proposals from researchers who want to investigate such possibilities for cannabis, she said.

Proponents of legalizing marijuana disagree with the official line. Krissy Oechslin of the Marijuana Policy Project disputes the finding that cannabis products are stronger.

"They make it sound like the THC levels in marijuana were almost nonexistent, but no one would have smoked it then if that was true," she said.

"And there's evidence that the stronger the THC, the less of it a person smokes. I don't want to say it's good for you, but I'll say (more potent marijuana) is less bad for you."

While Walters stresses that drug abusers are patients and not criminals, he hopes to crack down more on producers. And he says, there is a way to go in getting cooperation from local law enforcement officials. "For many in enforcement, marijuana is still 'kiddie dope'," Walters said.

He is quick to stress he does not want to overreact.

"We shouldn't be victims of reefer madness," he said, referring to the 1930s propaganda film "Reefer Madness" that became a 1970s cult classic for its over-the-top scenes of marijuana turning teenagers into homicidal maniacs.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.cnn.com/2004/HEALTH/07/20/re ... index.html

The overwhelming majority of people have more than the average (mean) number of legs.  
-- E. Grebenik

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2004, 05:35:00 AM »
What this tells me is that the kids of today are smarter. They are using less hard drugs, and are sticking with only pot. Being that marijuana is now the menace of our society, it is important to make it sound progressively more dangerous than the mello pot of the sixties.

I have always questioned that statistic about pot being so much stronger these days. I just don't believe it. I have always heard that pot these days is ten times stronger than sixties pot, but I don't think so. There are varying degrees of potency, but I don't believe it is ten times stronger across the board. That is probably propaganda designed to make parents of pot smokers scared out of their minds.

The fact that they have to go against pot means they have become irrelevant now that hard drug use has declined. But if they impose the nazi tactics that were employed against us they are going to damn the youth into taking the hard stuff. They are imbeciles. What more can be said?

Offline Scarstruck

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2004, 05:46:00 AM »
They are comparing like todays cannabis cup type hydro weed to 60s schwag...

Now I smoke marijuana about 7 times a day ( I smoke all fucking day and night) and rarely smoke that hydro ..I cannot afford it.
 At 20 a gram I can smoke cocaine for that price..

The average kid..person...isnt smoking BC blunt, and Blueberry, and all the named hydro...

The pot is alot stronger due to hydro technology and cross strains but it doesnt make it dangerous..

The average commercial weed is prolly the same ..

They need to be busting speed labs for fucks sake.. Thats whats tearing up the community drug wise is meth.
b] KATHY DAVID IS A CHILD MOLESTOR[/b]
\"You knew I was a snake when you picked me up\" ~S.S

Offline GregFL

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2004, 08:51:00 AM »
I think it is ten times stronger, but that makes it ten times safer.

Stay with me here.

When I was a kid of 12 or 13, we would get a dime bag which was nearly a fucking ounce and smoke the whole thing. I would cough and my lungs would get inflamed....and I would get stoned.

Todays youthfull pot smoker need only take a hit or two to get the same affect. Less smoke=less danger to developing lungs.

After all, the only proven danger to marijuana is tar and inflamation of the broncia. If you take this danger away, what is left?

These fuckers fail to see the irony in their report, that treatment is up 142%.  Virtually all of these young people being treated for Marijuana are not addicted and end up in  TC type treatment.

Those responsible should be ashamed.

Offline ehm

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2004, 03:25:00 PM »
Just sounds to me like they're trying to stir up a bunch of fear, to give the Drug War a little energy boost.  :roll:

He, who has nothing, and who himself belongs to another, must be defended by him, whose property he is, and needs no arms. But he, who thinks he is his own master, and has what he can call his own, ought to have arms to defend himself, and what he possesses; else he lives precariously, and at discretion.

--James Burgh 1774

Offline Cayo Hueso

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2004, 03:27:00 PM »

On 2004-07-21 12:25:00, Lezli wrote:

"Just sounds to me like they're trying to stir up a bunch of fear, to give the Drug War a little energy boost.  :nworthy:  :nworthy:

I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure.

--Clarence Darrow

t. Pete Straight
early 80s

Offline Scarstruck

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2004, 06:05:00 PM »
Well they can say what they like..but the fact is the illagality of marijuna means about jack shit to me.

They can make it a felony and Ill still smoke whenever the fuck I want...as will about 9 million other people (i pulled that number out of the air)

And yes higher potency = less plant material smoked = lass tar inhaled....but the tar and carcinogens arent even a factor...NOONE has gotten cancer/emphyzema from marijuana (Now Im sure some cigarette smokers that have it also smoked marijuna...but from what Ive read noone has gotten cancer, etc, from marijuna alone)
  Dont know why but tobacco just seems to strip my lungs down more than pot..(probably the additive chems they spray on the tobacco)
b] KATHY DAVID IS A CHILD MOLESTOR[/b]
\"You knew I was a snake when you picked me up\" ~S.S