Author Topic: Former students from Provo Canyon School???  (Read 14844 times)

Offline acurry

• View Profile
Former students from Provo Canyon School???
« on: July 20, 2004, 03:21:00 PM »
My name is Angela Currry.  I was there from 92-94.
I also attended with my best friend Megan Flynn.  If anyone remembers us drop me a line.
[email protected]
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Nihilanthic

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2004, 09:53:00 PM »
Tell us your story!
DannyB on the internet:I CALLED A LAWYER TODAY TO SEE IF I COULD SUE YOUR ASSES FOR DOING THIS BUT THAT WAS NOT POSSIBLE.

CCMGirl on program restraints: "DON\'T TAZ ME BRO!!!!!"

TheWho on program survivors: "From where I sit I see all the anit-program[sic] people doing all the complaining and crying."

Offline acurry

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2004, 03:07:00 PM »
My story is not that interesting.  I was there for 16 months.  I did just enough to get by.  I got sent home when my therapist was leaving.  Basically I was told that the I had hit a platu in my treatment, and I was wasting time.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2004, 11:04:00 PM »
Maybe the money ran out. It seems that's all they are interested in. Did you witness any abusive acts while there?

Offline acurry

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2004, 03:11:00 PM »
Yes, I saw some.  Not really of my own, but I saw very severe cases of mental abuse.

Offline Memento

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2004, 01:38:00 PM »
First off I appreciate your posting.  Even with the anonymity that web posting allows for it takes guts to get up here and talk about such a hard experience as provo.   I went to ascent in, well I'd prefer not to say.   I am not sure if you are familiar with the place but they referred a lot of kids to provo.  Sometimes they would come back with stories.  I was always intrigued by the goings on there.  Kids said that there was a lot of heavy medicating there.  Also that there was a very restrictive daily routine.  If you would be willing I'd appreciate it a lot if you'd expand on those claims and outline a typical day there because the above is very vague.   I really hope to hear back.  
Just caLL me  Robert

Offline cherish wisdom

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2004, 03:10:00 PM »
I was a parent who chose Provo Canyon School for my own child's treatment for depression. It was a huge mistake. Fortunately I had the opportunity to rescue her after she attempted to escape. I was not aware of the reputation until after she was there.  I became suspicious when her therapist called to tell me that he thought she was lying and being manipulative.  She was there for severe depression.  Anyway - there are several site that have information from survivors of this program. The best is a site created by former survivor, Angela Smith. It can be found at
http://www.beyondbusiness.net  
There are also comments on the petition to close PCS that can be found at
http://www.heal-onlin.org/sign.htm
There have been several lawsuits.  In the successful Milonas/Rice vs. Provo Canyon School case there was a permanent injunction that was imposed against four common practices at Provo Canyon School.  Three of those practices were used against my own child.  Regardless of court orders and injunctions they are still employing extremely abusive measures in their efforts to control children.  
These are a few of the things my child either experienced or witnessed:
Screaming from the area occupied by the 11-13 year old boys night and day; isolation for entire days and nights in a cold, small, concrete room; stripped naked to humiliate; forced druggings with injections of Haldol; human takedowns where five to seven adults dog pile children; human restraint in the prone postition for more than 15 minutes; kids with broken noses and black eyes; fractured bones and backs; denial of medical care; children suffering in their rooms with respiratory infections - going without medical care; (this is just a partial list). This Program should be SHUT DOWN - I have told all of the authorities - including the Attorney General of the State of UTAH and every legislator these horrific occurances  - and guess what - THEY DO NOT CARE - THEY CONTINUE TO USE TAXPAYERES MONEY TO INCARCERATE CHILDREN AS YOUNG AS 11 years old in this place.  Even Child Protective Services did little to nothing to help the girls and boys whose abuse was witnessed and reported (in a ten page report) to the authorities.  Anyway - see the above sites for survivor stories.  ....

Q. I simply ask, why is PUNISHMENT the solution with regards to the narrow group of behaviors which encompass illegal drug use....?

A.Pharmaceutical Business, both legal and illegal, run by the same people either way, money coming to the middle from both ends.  Bush.
http://www.luxefaire.com/' target='_new'>Bill Gallagher

If you lack wisdom ask of God and it shall be given to you.\"

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2005, 05:34:00 PM »
What I remember about PCS... many of the unit staff members (read- the uneducated local people they employed to run the facility), many of them had a similar body type:  short, and very rounded- round belly, round butt... and not in a sexy way, and smaller on top.  

Many of them had this type of body that is similar to someone with *Down's syndrome*.

Even at age 14, I was thinking "A lot of these women are real funny shaped".

Outside of Utah, I have never, ever seen so many people with this particular type of body.

So, putting this together, I have come to the conclusion that the rumors are true... these people have been breeding too damn close in the gene pool.  

I do not intend to be mean.  This was something I figured out, by applying scientific facts to my observations.

Offline cherish wisdom

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2005, 05:40:00 PM »
Here's something a former patient wrote - this patient was there in 1988-89:

ATTENTION PARENTS - ATTENTION PARENTS ---- If you truly love your child you will not be deceived by PCS.  Their tactics and lies are evil in more ways than one.  I was locked up at PCS in 1988/1989.

FALSE ADVERTISING---------------------------------

PCS mislead my parents in the 80's and I am sure they are doing the same now.  PCS has pamphlets that show the numerous activities that the child will take part in once at the school.  This simply does not happen.  Neither does the therapy sessions that are meant to help the child.  PCS is not truly a "school."  Although the teachers could be just as vindictive as the counselors who were hopped up on steroids, employees of PCS saw school as a privilege for the child.  The counselors would often not allow children to attend classes so that they would always have some kids to punish during the day.  I was at PCS for fourteen months and probably attended class about six of those months.  

ABUSE - PHYSICAL AND MENTAL-----------------------

For minor misbehavior or no bad behavior at all, the child would be made to stare at a wall anywhere from three to ten hours a day.  For many children including myself, this would result in dizzy spells.  This was mainly because of the room that this was taking place.  It was in a unit of the school that had locked doors and no windows.  During my stay there was a time when I stared at a wall ten hours a day for six months straight.  There were other eight foot by eight foot rooms that were used for solitary confinement.  I was locked in solitary for over 24 hours once, and I have seen friends locked in for over three days for what counselors would regard as a "poor attitude."  PHYSICAL ABUSE would often occur as well.  Almost daily you would see a small child slammed to the floor by a 250+ pound BYU football player.  Of course these goons had absolutely no credentials to work these positions.  Most of them were not bright and resort to violence when they were frustrated with a child.

INSURANCE FRAUD-----------------------------------

This may be an area that does not receive as much focus as the other complaints by former students.  However, this is something that is very disturbing and very real.  According to the staff members at PCS, your child is so fucked up and such a mess until the time when your insurance begins to run out.  You will be told that your child is (magically) transformed into a well-adjusted person only when your insurance is gone and you are no longer of any value to them.  Another disturbing fact is the financial compensation that Psychiatrists across the United States would receive for referring parents to PCS.

I have dozens of disturbing stories regarding my stay at PCS but it is probably best that I do not get into all of the specifics in this forum.

EVERYTHING WE SPEAK OF IS TRUE--------------------

As someone who endured fourteen horrible months in such an evil place, I see it as my duty to educate parents about what PCS is truly all about.

Though I feel that sites like this are a positive thing for former students, friends, and family, I am also very aware of the amount of power and wealth held by PCS (PCS was owned by The Charter Corporation when I was there).  I have knowledge of payoffs that PCS has made to former students in order to stay out of court.  The class action lawsuit (twenty+ students) that I was a part of in the late 90's was only thrown out by the judge due to the statute of limitations law.  Previous to that ruling PCS had tried to settle with all of us for about $5,000 which was an incredible insult.  We are talking about an evil facility that is absolutely petrified of receiving bad press and going through a huge trial.  They know that if they ever go to court and the truth comes out they will be forced to pay up big time.

I have always been consistent in saying that as much as it would be nice for me to receive financial compensation for what PCS put me and my family through, I would rather not receive a dime if it meant that PCS would be shut down.

By the way, there are hundreds more former students out there that don't even know that this forum and ones like it exist.

THERE ARE OTHER OPTIONS--

GOOD LUCK AND GOD BLESS--

By 1940 the literacy figure for all states stood at 96 percent for whites. Eighty percent for blacks. Notice for all the disadvantages blacks labored under, four of five were still literate. Six decades later, at the end of the 20th century, the National Adult Literacy Survey and the National Assessment of Educational Progress say 40 percent of blacks and 17 percent of whites can't read at all. Put another way, black illiteracy doubled, white illiteracy quadrupled, despite the fact that we spend three or four times as much real money on schooling as we did 60 years ago.
--Vin Suprynowicz

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2005, 06:12:00 PM »
This is true-  I saw so many kids get involved in "physical incidents" that were instigated by staff.  

Many times, a kid would try to walk away from a staff member (who might be badgering or taunting them), then the staff member would (call for backup) then just "take her down".  

Rarely did these kids present (at the time) a clear and present danger to themselves or anyone else.  

These staff lack the education and training necessary to work with these kids in a theraputic manner.  

Scary, but PCS has made some revisions  to their website (surely in response to the information availabe on the internet).  

They now have a section called "Liscensing and Accrediations".  On there, they have a long list of PhDs, MDs, RNs, and the like.  

The reality is that these "liscensed" and "accredited" people have little to no contact or direct dealings with the kids there.  The program is implemented & the kids performance evaluated by unliscensed staff with no "credentials" and no educated required more than a high school diploma (or equivalent).  

Conviently, the PCS website also no longer describes employment opportunities (as it used to), it just directs potential employees to "Contact Human Resources".  

That place is surely the most abusive, dysfunctional institution I have ever seen, and the staff are the most unqualified, unprofessional, and meanest bunch I have ever come across-  and I'm a **nurse** at a hospital in **downtown D.C.**, and I see all kinds of f*ckd up things...

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2005, 07:25:00 PM »
http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://www ... anyon.com/

Government is not reason, it is not eloquence, it is force; like fire, a troublesome servant and a fearful master. Never for a moment should it be left to irresponsible action.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/188301123X/circlofmiamithem' target='_new'>George Washington

"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2005, 07:30:00 PM »
Holy crap! Are those Wackenhut colors just a coincidence?

Don't laugh when you leave this courtroom, thinking you have beat the system because you have looked these things up yourself. We are going to get you down the road.
http://proliberty.com/observer/20020101.htm' target='_new'>Washington Superior CourtJudge Rebecca Baker

"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline cherish wisdom

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2005, 09:04:00 PM »
Their website is soooo deceptive. It looks like a private high school - coed - freedom.  Nothing could be further from the truth.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense

--Buddha

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2005, 09:48:00 PM »
It seems they have deleted the more recent versions of the website (the much older,  less descript ones are still available).  Hmmmm...

I actually called there one time, posing at a the parent of a potential student.  

I asked them many questions.  The guy I spoke to gave me half-a$$ answers, (regarding punitive measures, and qualifications of the staff) and when I questioned him again, looking for a straight answer, he became evasive and defensive.  

I really think that is more parents ask them detailed questions, and persist until they get straight answers, then enrollment will decrease.  

I guess that has already happened, though.  The last time I spoke with my old therapist from PCS, he was telling me how they had gotten kids sent from "Arabia" (Saudi Arabia).  This is a country where all information, including that avaialble on the internet, is hard to come by, and heavily censored.  

The staff at PCS cannot even understand or work with kids who are from the East coast!  I can't even begin to imagine how they interact with kids from Saudi Arabia!!  Unbelievable...

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2005, 11:42:00 PM »
Just so I may receive proper credit for my statements:  

My name is Megan Flynn, I am a Registered Nurse, and I posted previously under this topic, regarding the (un)qualifications of the PCS staff, as well as the physical abuse I witnessed (under this particular topic, I have not detailed the psychological and spiritual abuse I experienced/witnessed, but will provide a detailed account of such abuse upon request).

My boyfriend is a PhD and MD, and will testify that the (PTSD) symptoms I have experienced (which he has been witness to) are a direct result of what happened at Provo Canyon School.  

If anyone has any questions or comments, please feel free to contact me at any time.  

[email protected]