Author Topic: help  (Read 1767 times)

Offline worriedmom

• View Profile
help
« on: July 26, 2002, 10:49:00 PM »
OH, I forgot to mention that he had nothing but my total love and support in every way last year. I kept him out of trouble at Juvie. I got him private tutors. I kept him out of trouble with his teachers. I gave him money when he needed it. I kept trusting him. I had faith.
He signed a contract that he would not smoke pot while living under our roof. Then he went out in the backyard and got high. He began selling to support his habit. I kept believing him. I wanted to. You're right, I was duped, by my son, who I still love more than anything in the world. And he knows that.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
help
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2002, 01:26:00 AM »
Believe me, I understand what you're going through. I have an 18 year old daughter who scare the living hell out of me for a couple of years. If I didn't know better, if I hadn't been through what I'd been through, I would very likely have taken the same bad advice my parents did. But I knew better and so, while I can't say I always did the right thing--that would be a lie--at least I didn't do the most awful things that were done to me.

Who gave you the suggestion that it was a good idea to put conditions on your love for your son? Who cares if he smokes pot in the back yard? Does that really make him deserving of getting kicked out? Locked in boot camp? Further controled and manipulated in some boarding school?

Look, if whatever he's doing is really intollerable to you, then let him go like the prodigal son. But please don't pay people to hurt him for you. I know the brochures look all glossy and pretty, but that's exactly what these places are all about. If you did to your son at home what these people do to kids in these camps and boarding schools, you would go to prison for felony child abuse. No lie!

Please, take Facekhan's advice. He's got quite a few friends with direct and recent experience with these places. If you're afraid to bring your son home, then take him on  vacation somewhere pleasant for a couple of weeks. Hike the AT. Take in Costa Rica--it's cheap and fun. Take some time for him to sort things out and clear his head. He's just been through an extremely demanding and stressful experience.

And, wherever you're thinking of sending him, go there yourself and see with your own eyes. Look these kids and counselors in the eye and listen with your heart to what's going on day-to-day. Any legitimate school should be at ease and proud to show you all you want to see. Any aprehension over your having free reign to poke around should send up some red flags.
"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline worriedmom

• View Profile
help
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2002, 09:12:00 AM »
My entire reason for posting here was to get some feedback on some schools that don't torture. Are you all saying that every school out there will abuse him? Hasn't anyone had a positive experience? Or at least one where they weren't deprived/beaten/humilated? BTW, he is not being hurt or tortured at his boot camp. At most, he is getting a lot of exercise. I can see that many of you have really had horrible traumas being sent to awful places, and I am truely sorry for your pain.

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
help
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2002, 05:18:00 PM »
Here's my best suggestion. Talk to your son about what universities he might want to attend. Or, if he hasn't thought that far ahead, about what kinds of careers he might envision himself pursuing. Then pick a few good universities and ask their admissions offices to suggest a few good prep schools or jr. colleges that might best meet his needs.

I guarantee they're not getting a whole lot of promising applicants from any of those "schools" promoted by Tom Croke. They tend to leave their graduates emotionally and socially retarded and somewhat less then indipendent thinkers.
"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
help
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2004, 08:14:00 PM »
wonder how this turned out?
Mom, you still out there?

Offline RedHottAva

• View Profile
help
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2004, 07:55:00 PM »
i can only comment on the cedu and brown schools and fact of the matter is their out for your money if you really love your son you will try and take care of him to the best of your abilities.
oxo--ava

Offline GregFL

• View Profile
help
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2004, 11:39:00 PM »
On 2002-07-27 06:12:00, worriedmom wrote:

? Or at least one where they weren't deprived/beaten/humilated? BTW, he is not being hurt or tortured at his boot camp. At most, he is getting a lot of exercise.

Mom, how do you know this?  I guarantee you if you ask any program parent while their kid is in if they are being abused the answer is no.  Abuse takes all forms. I personally was never beaten while I was in the program (although a few others were) however, the sleep dep, food dep, humiliating rules and "behavior modification" had years of negative effects on my life.

then there is the idignity and ego suffering you get just by going to one of these places. You tend to feel like damaged goods for years and years.

best advice I got?  remove him from boot camp tomorrow. Bring you son home if you love him.[ This Message was edited by: GregFL on 2004-04-03 20:40 ]