Author Topic: Gong Show '78 Part 2  (Read 2575 times)

Offline 85 Day Jerk

• View Profile
Gong Show '78 Part 2
« on: July 25, 2002, 03:39:00 AM »
I think it took a week and a half to pull off the Gong Show.  The first thing was to find a gong, and sure as hell, one of the wealthier parents just happened to have one lying around.  It was a blessing to not having any full of shit 3rd, 4th, or 5th phasers in the group raining their durision down on all our heads.  They were all too busy building a stage and making costumes and what not.  I stopped being a jerk long enough to gain talk that Friday and T&R the following Monday.  It was amazing how far we all came along in our programs when we could speak freely about our past without some asshole trying to grandstand on us.  When I say "we" I mean all the first and second phasers in group at the time.  I cannot recall the precise day of the show, but I am pretty sure it fell on a Wednesday so it would'nt mess up any Parent Weekend.  The stage was pretty impressive and Stage Right had the Judges Table complete with a gong. I can't remember who all the judges were but I think it was Dave Crock, Liz Cassidy,Terri WhatsherFace, and Mrs. Pete had veto power.  I think Scotty Cassidy, the parent rap leader was the emcee.  The parents sat closest to the stage in the part of the building used primarily for parent raps.  The only part of this building that was used by us was an old machinery room with 2 doors that was used for when the jerks done pissed off Mrs. Pete or staff one time too many. I shimmied up the pole in there and scratched the words "Jerk Power" with a little fist and my name on the top of the pole near the ceiling, where someone would risk busting their ass even with a ladder trying to remove it.  Hell, it might even still be there to this day.   Anyway back to the story
then.  The group was seated behind the parents and they had "Standing Corporal" 3rd Phasers to stand around the group that nite. The show got under way, and was a real treat, I must say, and still one of my fonder memories of the program.  A few people tryed playing guitar and singing songs and I remember Steve Gay got half way through the old 'Chicago' song called Colour
My World, before Mrs. Pete scrambled over the table and gonged the shit out of his act, claiming the song was an "old tie."  What a Gypp, then the curtains opened and the first music I had ever heard on my program starts playing real loud.  It was disco, for christ sake!!  All these girls file out dressed really nice and start doing this dance routine.  As if on cue, this standing 3rd phaser leans in and goes "Now don't be checking out the girls."  "Shut up you fucking faggot," we all said in unison.  He just stood there with his mouth opening and closing like a fish in the bottom of a boat.  It was too funny!!  The highlight of the show was a skit based on M*A*S*H  that they did vaudeville style.  They put up a sheet and shined a light behind it like shadow theatre.  They had a guy lying on the table and they pulled all sorts of props out of his 'chest wound.'  It was hilarious!!
But the funniest act was done by a guy who had only been on front row less than a week.  During Chris Cassler's synthesizer light show, he slipped away and made it to the back of the group.  He was found a few minutes later in the think room.  I guess he must have thought the doors led to the outside or something.  Another 5 minutes or so, and he could have slipped out with the parents as they left at the end of the show.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
Inside a warehouse behind Tyrone Mall
we walked in darkness, kept hitting the wall.
I took the time to feel for the door,
I had been \"treated\" but what the hell for?

Offline GregFL

• View Profile
Gong Show '78 Part 2
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2002, 11:38:00 AM »
Reminds me of the "talent show" we had at the Seedcirca 73-74. In fact, I am sure Ms. Peterinhermouth got the idea from that as she was there.
Rich Leverone played the guitar, we had a dowoop band,Talent skits, Art Barker emceed it himself, lot of "Luv" floating around, and all I wanted to do was get the fuck out of there.

Offline Marnie

• View Profile
Gong Show '78 Part 2
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2002, 06:43:00 PM »
Yes What a great story - I do remember that day - were you there for the haunted house? - If so I would love for you to retell that one - Didn't Liz Marry Steve Gay?

I sent you an e-mail - I wish my memory was as clear as yours.....or maybe I'm cloudy for a reason!

Marnie

[ This Message was edited by: Marnie on 2002-07-25 15:43 ]

Offline MommaDebi

• View Profile
Gong Show '78 Part 2
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2002, 12:08:00 PM »
Wow, reading your post....
brought it right back to me.

I wanted out that night (& every other night too). I seem to remember he came up to St Pete quite a bit especially at the beginning. Is that true?
...every five years I look back on my life and have a good laugh...\" {Indigo Girls~~ \"The Watershed\"}

Offline GregFL

• View Profile
Gong Show '78 Part 2
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2002, 03:09:00 PM »
Yep, thinks to air Florida (39-49 round trip air from Ft Lauderdale) Art was there at least twice a week for quite some time. He used to lead raps, smoking cigs & wearing his little jackets in the middle of the summer. I hated the fucker...
In fact, I almost got in a fistfight with him once after I graduated. Iwill post that story soon on the Seed site.
GregFL

Offline mike kelch

• View Profile
Gong Show '78 Part 2
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2002, 01:08:00 AM »
i remember the synthe sizer show it was pretty cool i used to like that staff member or thought he was cool after that it was almost like i couldnt see him using drugs til after that    who are you?
ooking to find old friends from straight in st pete both buildings and in cincinnati also please feel free to call or e mail me. love ya

Offline wesfager

• View Profile
    • http://www.thestraights.com
Gong Show '78 Part 2
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2002, 07:39:00 AM »
Wait a minute. Are you saying that Scotty Cassidy had been a parent?  Later there was a Scotty Cassidy who was a Straight officer and today a Scotty Cassidy runs Second Chance, a Straight legacy program in Memphis Tenn. with a Christian theme.  Please tell me all you can remember about Scotty Cassidy, his wife and his daughter Liz.

Wes Fager, a researcher
http://www.thestraights.com
es Fager
www.thestraights.com

\"If David Miscaviage can go to his deposition as Admiral Farragut, then Keith Henson can go as Bozo the Clown.\"  Wes Fager

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Gong Show '78 Part 2
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2002, 10:08:00 AM »
Yes I Remeber Mr. Cassidy - I use to go spend the night hat their house with Liz when she was on staff - I remember when they put Liz in Straight - He definitely started as a straigh parent!

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Gong Show '78 Part 2
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2002, 05:14:00 AM »
If you think that Chuck Barris wasn't completely blasted when he was hosting the gong show, I've got some great blue chip Enron stock to sell ya!!!

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Gong Show '78 Part 2
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2003, 03:33:00 AM »
I remember Scotty Cassidy all too well. I only met him, however, after he opened Second Chance in Memphis. He had a couple of children... Liz came and visited Second Chance a few times as did another of his daughters, I think her name was Carol. Not only did Liz complete Straight, Mr. Cassidy also claims to be a recovering addict. Mr. Cassidy was never a problem to me but his wife was sure kooky. Although he "founded" Second Chance, she is the one who actually ran it while I was there. I went into that place only a year or so after it had opened and it was one horrible experience for me. The mental suffering at these people's hands was life altering for me.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Gong Show '78 Part 2
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2003, 08:14:00 AM »
ah yes, Scotty Cassidy.  That entire family was pretty strange.  Liz, my god that woman scared the shit out of me.  The only one that terrified me more was that amazon woman, Amy Wright (wrong).  Never heard of second chance.  Guess that was the Cassidy clan's way of  getting a "second chance" to fuck with people.  Sorry you had to deal with that.  Is second chance still open?  web site?

Glad to see you surviving.

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
Gong Show '78 Part 2
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2003, 08:26:00 AM »
Never heard anything about this program. Care to elaborate?

Welcome

T'is an ill wind that blows no minds.
--Syadasti

"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Gong Show '78 Part 2
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2005, 12:25:00 AM »
My daughter was in SC- Memphis in 1999.  She admits to a little bit of therapeutic value, but even now, she regards the whole experience has hugely damaging.  Any specifics you could give me would be greatly appreciated.  It's very hard (& emotional) for me to hear her complaints, but I chose what I believed was the best option for her at the time.

Thanks so much.

Offline linchpin

• View Profile
Gong Show '78 Part 2
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2005, 02:58:00 AM »
85 day jerk has all the best stories
img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v495/Toothfairy_TP/u100.gif[/img]