Author Topic: The Day The Monkees Came to Straight  (Read 2063 times)

Offline 85 Day Jerk

• View Profile
The Day The Monkees Came to Straight
« on: July 23, 2002, 08:20:00 PM »
Every now and then another blood vessel would harden in Helen Petermanns brain, and give fresh non-Nazi cells a chance to run things for awhile.  Such a wonderous occasion happened near the July 4th weekend on the year of our Lord Nineteen Hundred and Seventy Eight.  I had finished with lunch, and sat there contemplating whether or not to nail the chick sitting 3 seats deep in the second row with the remaining cubes of ice still in my cup, for narking on me for checking out the new girls, or savoring the last of the coolness in my mouth.  Suddenly the Prehistoric outlines of Mrs. Petes enormous coiffure entered my field of vision as she sauntered up to the front of the group.  Her bombadier blue eyes gazed back and forth across the guys side like a searchlight.  She had heard that with the addition of a guy named Mark Bell, that we now had guys who looked like all four of the Monkees and wanted to see for herself if it was true.  She called on these guys and they all came up front of the group.  It was sorta like a contest, because we had three guys that could have passed for Davey.  I was nominated to be a Peter Tork look-a-like, but because I had been being a jerk, I had to sit down.  After about a half hour of haggling, they settled on four finalists and she had them do that arm & arm, leg over leg thing while we sang the Monkee's Theme.  Here we were, all happy go lucky, even the short scrappy Italian chick that had been brought to group after splitting the program carried to her seat "alligator style" seemed happy to be there. Something was'nt right, I felt and began looking behind the group towards the front of the warehouse and staff offices.  Them dumbasses should have never let me sit in the back, because I saw who all of this was for.  Marshal Cleaver, a promonent radio announcer and talk show host for WLCY studios.  I just wish he had been there 3 days earlier when this psycho girl named Susan had burst from the group, leaped into a perfect swan dive and landed on her face, sliding along the concrete like a freshly clubbed baby seal. Where was Geraldo Rivera when we needed him?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
Inside a warehouse behind Tyrone Mall
we walked in darkness, kept hitting the wall.
I took the time to feel for the door,
I had been \"treated\" but what the hell for?

Offline GregFL

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2002, 11:37:00 PM »
Great story, Victor. You are a hoot.

Offline Marnie

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2002, 05:52:00 PM »
You really are a good writer with a wonderful sense of humor - you should write a book! - Your memory is quite Superior - I would love to read more stories!!!!!!!!!

Marnie

Offline Marnie

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2002, 05:55:00 PM »
I remember that day - you describe Mrs. Pete as if she is standing right in front of me!!!!!

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2003, 05:28:00 PM »
from Atlanta I believe.  Nice guy.  One of those guys that I would not like to piss off...fortunately I never did.  Wonder what ever happened to him?  I think one day, he just didn't show up and he neve came back....strange.

Offline Majiktrvls

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2003, 05:58:00 PM »
Great story, Bob!!! WE need you to keep posting your incredibly humorous tales!!
The New Definition of BITCH....Babe In Total Control of Herself!!

Offline Majiktrvls

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2003, 05:58:00 PM »
Great story, Bob!!! WE need you to keep posting your incredibly humorous tales!!
The New Definition of BITCH....Babe In Total Control of Herself!!

Offline 85 Day Jerk

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2003, 12:01:00 AM »
Mark Bell graduated from Straight 2 weeks before I did.  He stayed at Steve Howes house through most of his program and attended St. Pete Junior College during the last half of his program.  He had 3 times the moral fiber and backbone of anyone I ever knew in the program.  He was due to inherit a whole lot of money as his family was related to those in Bell Aviation.  I believe he still resides in the Marrietta area of Georgia.  The last time I saw him was in 1980 at the reception of Mr. and Mrs. Steve Gay's wedding at the Wine Celler Restaurant.  He had a girlfriend named Tammy that was completely and totally gorgeous.  Whether they married or not I don't know, but word around the campfire said his inheritance was $ 1.2 million dollars.

[ This Message was edited by: 85 Day Jerk on 2003-04-04 21:02 ]
Inside a warehouse behind Tyrone Mall
we walked in darkness, kept hitting the wall.
I took the time to feel for the door,
I had been \"treated\" but what the hell for?

Offline Powerful Attitude

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2003, 12:35:00 AM »
This is a little off the subject except that your writing skills I enjoy as well, especially where you got 85 Day Jerk, way to stand in there.  I could see it all as my wife and I got a good laugh out of it. You do have a way with your words.  

I was looking at your avatar, and it reminds me of an old buddy I met right after Straight and out on the streets.  I will never forget the day I met him. I was running from everybody and everything at this time and met a punker on the streets to run with for a little a while. Basically we were just trying to find a place to rest and call home. So we go on this journey to meet his friend, Chris, who was the epitome of your avatar.  I had the car, he knew the streets, and we rocked out to the same music, and could drink the worst of beer. Hell, we were partners and remained for about six more years until he moved and got married. That?s one person who could get me laughing on some crazy stories, together we made life worth living and I trusted him with all.

Anyway, I don?t want to drag on, but every time I read your posts I already have a good feeling because the ?avatar ? helps me remember a friend from a long time ago. I think this each time I come across one of your posts, so there it is.

Don?t know the dude you?re talking about but that?s a heck of a lot of money. I wonder if it made him or broke him, maybe both.

P.A.

[ This Message was edited by: Powerful Attitude on 2003-04-04 22:28 ]
t. Petersburg 1985-86, Dallas 86-87