Author Topic: askquestions.org is doing a story - due to be published 7/15  (Read 2847 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
I was just called by a reporter who is working on a story to be published on 7/15. If you haven't made a comment please do so.  

Here at AskQuestions.org, we received dozens of emails from families citing first-hand experiences with residental drug treatment centers that inflict abuses on American teenagers like the ones we saw in Iraq. Statistics from the federal government indicate that teen admissions to drug treatment programs increased 49% from 1992 to 2001 with more than 140,000 teens admitted to treatment programs in 2001. According to the statistics, 62% of the admissions are for marijuana use.

President Bush allocated $100 million to drug rehabilitation programs in 2004 and he doubled the money for 2005, most of it going to a voucher program called Access to Treatment (ATR). The White House says, "For many Americans, the transforming powers of faith are crucial resources in overcoming dependency, and this new program will work to ensure that treatment vouchers are available to the programs that work the best, including those that are faith-based." You can read about the President's drug treatment funding at his drug policy website.

The National Mental Health Association (NMHA) strongly condemns teen ?boot camp? drug rehabilitation and coercive behavior modification programs citing research showing that interventions of this kind do not work and are not cost effective. The NMHA fact sheet is online.

And yet a parent seeking help for a troubled teenager may run across dozens of for-profit organizations offering exactly this kind of treatment regimen at costs ranging from $2,000 to $8,000 per month. Using aggressive and sometimes deceptive sales practices, these therapeutic boarding schools (TBS), wilderness programs, and residential treatment centers (RTC) are a booming industry. One site, NoSpank.net, collects news articles about the ?teen treatment industry? chronicling years of problems within these facilities.

Two specific programs have been the target of many complaints, and both of them are run by prominent political contributors. The Worldwide Association of Specialty Programs and Schools (WWASPS) is an affiliated group of private residental treatment centers and schools for kids with behavior problems. The Drug Free American Foundation (DFAF) has different financial and operational affiliations with several private drug treatment centers including Teen Challenge, Growing Together, and Kids Helping Kids. Families have filed lawsuits against both DFAF and WWASPS alleging abuse of various kinds. Both use a religious "tough love" approach to treatment. Government agencies in Costa Rica, Mexico and the Czech Republic have shut down WWASPS programs, and in 2003, Congressman George Miller of California asked the Department of Justice to investigate a growing number of allegations against WWASPS. So far, the DOJ has taken no action.

Families looking to find safe and effective programs must confront a mixture of commercial and often deceptive marketing tactics that sometimes include paid testimonials and false promises. For example, a seemingly independent referral service may have undisclosed commercial ties to the programs it recommends. The industry is not regulated and most facilities operate without a license. Staff background checks may be inadequate. And there are many other confusing issues confonting parents seeking help. However, some of the following information might help families find needed resources:

The International Survivors Action Committee is a nonprofit, independent watchdog organization. Teen Advocates USA is another one.

Here are well researched, recent news articles: From the NY Times, January 2003 Parents Divided Over Jamaica Disciplinary Academy. and from the British paper, The Guardian an article published last summer also looks at the Tranquility Bay program in Jamaica.

Personal testimonials from survivors and their families can be found at Fornits.com

The US State Department specifically cautions parents not to send their children to any offshore treatment facility without first inspecting the program because the American government cannot always protect children enrolled in these unregulated, private programs operating outside of the United States.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline darkhunterhope

• View Profile
askquestions.org is doing a story - due to be published 7/15
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2004, 06:01:00 PM »
How do we get a copy of this published article?
o be able to look back upon one\'s past life with satisfaction is to live twice.

-  Marcus Valerius Martial

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2004, 01:00:00 PM »
The article will be published on line at
http://www.askquestions.org
on or after July 15.

Offline Nihilanthic

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2004, 01:51:00 PM »
When I told AQ.org about this I was desperately trying to get votes and people to comment on this. I had no idea it would actually go this far. I really, really, really hope they can finally blow the lid on this bullcrap and end the abuse out there!

Maybe now the authorities will reform this and protect the kids insid who might have been abused.

:cry: Maybe I'll be able to sleep one night without having to think about everyone in those camps. I can only hope.
DannyB on the internet:I CALLED A LAWYER TODAY TO SEE IF I COULD SUE YOUR ASSES FOR DOING THIS BUT THAT WAS NOT POSSIBLE.

CCMGirl on program restraints: "DON\'T TAZ ME BRO!!!!!"

TheWho on program survivors: "From where I sit I see all the anit-program[sic] people doing all the complaining and crying."

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2004, 02:15:00 PM »
How will this article, above all other articles, past, present and future, bring down this industry?  Please explain.

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2004, 06:01:00 PM »
Well, as I see it, the Troubled Parent industry is a scam. That most of the hawkers buy into their own bullshit doesn't change that a bit. It's still a scam and cannot stand scrutiny or logical assessment. So all we really have to do to protect the next generation from having to endure what we did is to just get people to question and examine the industry.

That's what the Vth Estate is all about and why freedom of the press was included w/ that of speech, religion and peacable assembly in the first article of the Bill of Rights. It's that important and powerful. Every little bit helps.

The German Nazis and the Russian Communists came very close to us in their methods, but they never had the courage to recognize their own motives. The object of persecution is persecution. The object of torture is torture. The object of power is power.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0451524934/circlofmiamithem' target='_new'>O'Brien, the apparatchik

"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline darkhunterhope

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2004, 07:10:00 PM »
On 2004-06-28 10:51:00, Nihilanthic wrote:

"When I told AQ.org about this I was desperately trying to get votes and people to comment on this. I had no idea it would actually go this far. I really, really, really hope they can finally blow the lid on this bullcrap and end the abuse out there!

Maybe now the authorities will reform this and protect the kids insid who might have been abused.

:cry: Maybe I'll be able to sleep one night without having to think about everyone in those camps. I can only hope. "

Good luck with that man, I've been a survivor from these shit holes and I have nightmares and flash backs every singlefucken day of my life and its not like there is really anything you can do aboiut it, this is just one of those shit holes that is so big and so deep that it will take so much to close them down that it is fucken unbelievable, i am now up at my summer job and have a binder of info. on proovo for all to read and i have a copy of the petition in there for all too sign to, so i guess we shall see how far that goes, but everyday i always meet somone new who is amazed by the shit that went onthere, and i hate laptops i cant type on them!!!
o be able to look back upon one\'s past life with satisfaction is to live twice.

-  Marcus Valerius Martial

Offline Watchaduen

• View Profile
    • http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BethelAcademyAbuse/
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2004, 06:03:00 PM »
Not to blow any of this down.  But prior to my husband and I sending our son to Bethel Boys Academy (only to be beaten and tortured), we honestly didn't know this could happen in the United States.  The few articles I ever read on these types of places seemed so out of my thinking.  If these places really were that bad then the kids that were sent there were equally as bad.  Young kids who belonged to gangs, doing drive-by shootings.  Or teens already so messed up in the head they had raped young children.  Robbing elderly people with a loaded gun.  You get the idea.  
These stories never get the point across that a parent (keyword being ANY parent) can send their child away to these places.  Or any parent can be deceived into believing these places will stop their child from simply talking back (a common thing teens do).  Or skipping a little school, smoking a little pot or ciggys.  Curing the desire to have sex at 16 yrs. old.  All things that many average teenagers out there do.  It needs to come out that "average" teenagers are sitting in these cult child abuse compounds.
heryle - My son was TORTURED and ABUSED at Bethel Boys Academy aka Eagle Point Christian Academy, aka Pine View Academy, Lucedale, MS.

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2004, 07:43:00 PM »
Cheryle, that's a big part of it. In fact, it's my understanding that the bogus diagnosis in Miller Newton's intake routine at Kids of No. Jersey was an essential part of establishing the cause of action that finally brought the place down.

The intake process is every bit as important as the more shocking overt abuse stories, maybe moreso. People seem to think Straight was one of the worst of the worst places; maybe because it got shut down or maybe because we're such a bunch of psychos now. But I don't think that's the case. I think a lot of these places are a whole lot worse in some ways, but they all seem to have a few common threads.

One of them is that they turn parents against their own children. They convince the parents that behavior as normal and benign as breaking curfew, slipping grades, fashion experiments, etc. are sure signs of some unsuspected dire and deadly condition for which they, alone, have the cure. This RedBoook diagnostic method is supported in daytime talk/confrontation shows, advice columns and public service ads and it needs to be challenged.

See Greg's very good discussion of credulous thinking here for a little junk food for thought on the topic.

http://fornits.com/wwf/viewtopic.php?to ... t=70#51198

A wise and frugal government, which shall restrain men from injuring one another; shall leave them otherwise free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement
http://laissezfairebooks.com/product.cfm?op=view&pid=FF7485&aid=10247' target='_new'>Thomas Jefferson

"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline Nihilanthic

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2004, 03:10:00 AM »
BUMP! Its the 16th.

Where's the beef? :tup:
DannyB on the internet:I CALLED A LAWYER TODAY TO SEE IF I COULD SUE YOUR ASSES FOR DOING THIS BUT THAT WAS NOT POSSIBLE.

CCMGirl on program restraints: "DON\'T TAZ ME BRO!!!!!"

TheWho on program survivors: "From where I sit I see all the anit-program[sic] people doing all the complaining and crying."

Offline nite owl

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2004, 03:50:00 AM »
I understand that it costs about one-dollar for a copy of the article.  That's odd.  It should be interesting to see what was written.

I am not a vegetarian because I love animals;  I am a vegetarian because I hate plants.  
-- A. Whitney Brown

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2004, 09:28:00 AM »
okay - it's now July 17 - and it looks like they are 100% funded - so where's the story?  Do we have to pay for it?

Offline cherish wisdom

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2004, 06:32:00 PM »
here's the latest - sent by e-mail

MOST POPULAR QUESTIONS
We continue to work on the question about teen treatment centers. We are
planning to publish our article by the end of July. Please stay tuned. People
have donated $500 and our reporters are busy developing the story. The
donations are extremely helpful. We also learned that the BBC is working on a
story about the Worldwide Association of Specialty Programs and Schools
(WWASPS). When we know the air date, we will pass it along.

The question about war profiteering in Iraq is gaining popularity in recent
weeks. And people have been recommending information sources for that
question, too. You can see the latest version of it here:
http://www.askquestions.org/details.php?id=26

TRAFFIC
Since we launched in March, more than 8,000 people have visited our site. As
the numbers grow, the flow of good questions and comments increases, and the
site begins to feel more and more useful.

Remember that if you do not want to receive this email newsletter from
AskQuestions.org. just send an email to [email protected].

Thanks for your continuing support for this project.

Cheryl Woodard
Executive Director

The only maxim of a free government ought to be to trust no man living with power to endanger the public liberty.
-- John Adams, (1772)

If you lack wisdom ask of God and it shall be given to you.\"