Author Topic: Marnie, Jennie & Kenny Sykes  (Read 12074 times)

Offline wayeast

• View Profile
Marnie, Jennie & Kenny Sykes
« Reply #30 on: July 25, 2002, 08:44:00 PM »
Bill,

When I was there in September and October of 82, there was a guy who was tall, with dark blond hair, and thin, who I can't ever remember speaking in group during that period.  His face was a complete blank, like he hadn't smiled, cried, laughed, or shown any emotion in a long time.  It was like he'd been there so long that they'd bleached the emotion out of him. He sat in the third or fourth row usually, and I was on the front row, so I don't know if he ever motivated, but seeing him sitting there, it was hard to imagine that he did.  I wondered what his story was. Could that have been you?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline wayeast

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 25, 2002, 08:52:00 PM »
Was Alan the taller, thin, dark-haired guy who looked like he was too old to be involved in Straight?  There was a guy who looked like he was in his late twenties or early thirties.

Offline Tampa survivor

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 25, 2002, 09:08:00 PM »
Yeah, that description sounds like me me.  I was in a severe funk as I had been busted down hard, then split, then caught.  By late October I decided it was time to go.  I am slowly getting the details straight in my mind...which split went with which phase, foster home...hell.  I made second phase again,FOS of course, while living with a Darren Chastain, great family, nice home in Symrna.  Being a Tampa kid I stayed with them after making second.  Well, right before X-mas, I took a letter out to be mailed, said goodbye to Darrens cute as a bug little sister, and scooted through the woods.
So yes, that was probably me.  I thought a lot.  I nearly lost my mind, but by that time I was fully internalizing, not fighting anymore.  I will never forget ruth-Ann and Satan Newton threatening to send me to cincinatti if I didn't get my crap together. They taunted me in group about my dislike for cold weather, and lied about my parents supporting a transfer to Cinci!! Arrogant shits...I talked my parents into giving it a shot and never stepped foot in either St pete or ATL program again.
You could also be remembering a Bobby Ruggles, who was also from Florida....hard case that went a million miles away for days at a time, then fought like a monster to let it out.  He got busted from 5th about the same time.  He had straighter hair than I.  I did what it took to get 2nd and get the fuck out....I was NOT DOING a THIRD X-mas at that place.
Bill H
St Pete & Atlanta, never surrendered!
12/80-12/82

Offline Tampa survivor

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 25, 2002, 09:31:00 PM »
I can say that the earlier mentioned Gwinnett county guys were like 22 and 25 or some crazy crap.  I was 15 when I got out.
Bill
Bill H
12/80-12/82

Offline wayeast

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 25, 2002, 09:36:00 PM »
Oh, man. I can't believe I'm talking to you. I've always wondered what the hell happened to you to put you in that pale, zombie state (not that we weren't all pale).  I was kind of surprised you didn't get confronted for never saying anything.  It seems like I remember that one time they started picking on you trying to get a reaction, but you weren't cooperating by getting mad.

As for Bobby, I remember that he was kind of a jerk as a fifth-phaser. When they busted him, they put him on "zero phase, which is about one step away from getting thrown out of the program."  I want to say it was Pam who made the announcement, but I can't remember that for sure.  It may have been ex-stripper Debbie Castro. I don't remember what Bobby was like after getting busted.

I'm whole-heartedly and sincerely glad to hear you lived. It was obvious that something was really wrong. You must have scared the hell out of them.

Offline kpickle39

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 25, 2002, 09:41:00 PM »
My first day was Dec 26, 1978.  Don't know if you remember me . . .  You never gave me a hard time, although I don't think you were on staff for too much longer after I got in the program. Good to hear from you.  Hope you are doing well.  take care

Mike, Straight Survivor '78 - '80  

[ This Message was edited by: kpickle39 on 2002-07-26 19:15 ]

Offline Tampa survivor

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 25, 2002, 10:13:00 PM »
Oh, I remember her raising hell in St pete back in the day.  She went on and up and I even stayed in her house one time when I was misbehavin in atlanta, but I never got to see her strip.  I heard she screwed up bigtime.  What ever happened?   She had a cute butt...Bill
Bill H
12/80-12/82

Offline Marnie

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 26, 2002, 09:51:00 AM »
Hi Mike....Yes I Do remember you from St. Pete - My memory is quite foggy - it has been so many years and I knew so many people - I have seen a picture or two of you from some of the events you have attended and hosted - sounds like you are doing very well - I sent an e-mail to B Patterson about my life from Straight to know - So as not to repeat myself I can forward that if you would like

I would like to hear more about what you are involded in now

thanks for the post ......Marnie

Offline ClayL

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 26, 2002, 10:12:00 AM »
I remember there was another transfer from St. Pete, a Mark (?). Short, worked out, dark hair. Y'all remember him. I think he was the only transfer there not on a mini-program. I came in April 1982.

CL

[ This Message was edited by: ClayL on 2002-07-26 08:00 ]

Offline Tampa survivor

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 26, 2002, 10:18:00 AM »
Mark Short...WOW...that took a minute.
Yeah, me in him were on 4th in St Pete, 1981.  He was a cool enough guy, we went on "permission", so forth.  Did he do ok?  I hope so.  I wonder why he went to Atlanta?
Anybody know?  How'd it turn out?
Bill
Bill H
12/80-12/82

Offline ClayL

• View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 26, 2002, 10:58:00 AM »
Shortly after making 5th phase they sent him back to St. Pete so he could 7-Step from that group. That was in '83-'84. Atlanta was much more laid back than St. Pete and he was really scared. Don't know what happened to him after that.

CL

Offline 85 Day Jerk

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 26, 2002, 12:23:00 PM »
During the first few months in the Morgan Yacht building after the start of school in the fall of '78 you used to team up after lunch with a dude that looked the a dark haired version of Robin Zander (lead singer of CHEAP TRICK) I finally remember his name.
Chris Burns, it was and you two were unbeatable at getting performance out of us.
Chris had hair like a rock star, and the girls would gush when he came into group.  You had us kids eating out of the palm of your hand.  While Liz & Chris Cassler had cornered the market on Love Raps, you and Chris were tag team champs at getting us to uncover hidden weaknesses.  I remember this one rap where you gave us 1st phasers a chance to stand up a higher phaser and describe them in just one word.  You called on me and I stood up a guy that had only related 3 or 4 times in big group since I had been there.  He was a 4th phaser named Dan Tishner.  The word I used to describe him was 'illusion.'  I was'nt trying to impress anybody, but our eyes locked briefly and it was like you were staring into a crystal ball or something.  It scared the shit out of me.  He got put on a refresher that day, and split the program the next morning, the minute the car door opened in front of the Yacht building.  His short lived oldcomer even kept the beltloop as a souvenir!  That event always freaked me out and I made it a point to never let it look like I was a staffer's pet ever again.  Just because I had a little more insight from being a jerk and simply observing, did'nt mean a kid deserved to be taken away from home and treated like shit like that.
Inside a warehouse behind Tyrone Mall
we walked in darkness, kept hitting the wall.
I took the time to feel for the door,
I had been \"treated\" but what the hell for?

Offline Tampa survivor

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 26, 2002, 02:40:00 PM »
Marnie,
Whats it like to read the above and see you remembered as a staffer?  Having worked through the program, then willingly join staff to lead interrogation raps which set people back,etc.  I ask this because I have just stumbled into this emotional roller coaster, and find myself drawn to reading the old posts, people far away in places 10 and 15 years after us continued to go through this.  It is hard not to get overwhelmed by all this.
Bill
Bill H
12/80-12/82

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 26, 2002, 04:28:00 PM »
Was Short really his last name?

I remember a guy who fit that description who did my intake. He ended up making a run for it, but then got caught and came back.  The girls were making fun of him because he ran straight back to his girlfriend.

Offline ClayL

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 26, 2002, 04:47:00 PM »
No, he was short, well er, shorter than me about 5'6".

CL