Author Topic: Another perspective of Elan  (Read 1595 times)

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
Another perspective of Elan
« on: May 27, 2004, 03:24:00 AM »
My time at Elan was much, much different than all of yours.  I arrived in the summer of '97, just out of college, taking my first teaching job.  
Man, I'll never forget my first day there: all the yelling, all the students with nothing but the smallest glimpse of their true soul peering out from behind the fear and depression in their eyes, and the staff, Gestapo-like (I was even nervous of them).
When I walked into my first class to teach (English) at 7, I had no idea what to expect.  But any apprehensions I had were quickly gone.  You guys were great students.  I was immediately impressed with your insights and thougts.  You seemed relaxed in my class (well, as relaxed as you could be at Elan), and that made the class a lot of fun, and (I hope) an excellent opportunity for learning (for you and me).  Though I enjoyed the class, and it seemed that the students in the class did as well, the staff the directors hated that fact...and the fact that I had the class study Wordsworth along with Bob Dylan.
So at the end of the summer Elan decided to move me to another teaching position.  I left a lot of great kids in my 7 class (Jordan, Carlos, Tatiana...note: as a teacher, I never knew anything of your lives outside the classroom, but in my class you were ALL great students and great individuals, who, whether forced or not, showed me respect, interest, and intellectual energy in the class).  
My next positon was with the Illinois students.  They were a very small, yet diverse group.  That provided for great discussions over the works we were reading, and I saw amazing academic growth with many of these guys.  I'll never forget Jason and Matt writing research paper for extra credit, and so see which one would get a better grade...thanks a lot for making me stay up many late nights having correct those!).  
By the end of the spring 98, I guess Elan felt that you guys were learning too much (or enjoying yourselves too much) in my class, and did not renew my contract, which, I must say, was a total joke (unemployed people earn more than Elan teachers).  When I walked out of the year-end awards ceremony it was with a heavy heart (if any of you were there, you'll remember Jason coming over and giving me a hug in front of everyone...embarassing, yet one of the most touching moments of my life, which i'll never forget...geez, I bet he got put in the corner for a month for that too).
Though my time teaching there was wonderful (in terms of the class, not the staff or directors, who I never saw eye-to-eye with), I always felt bad about being apart of that terrible system.  I could see the pain in all of you.  And, as I was just out of college and only 23, I could easily empathize with each of you.  Each night when I'd drive home after class, I had mixed feelings: happy I had such good classes, and very sad that you were staying behind to endure horrors I'll never know...except for reading all your posts here.
I've taken my time to search out this site and to write this to let all of you know (well, all of you who were in my classes), that I think of you each day.  That's no bull.  I went on to teach at a public school after Elan, and that year was a total nightmare and forced me out of the career.  The public school students were no match for you in terms of intellectual aptitude, respect, and self-relflective insight.  Moreover, I think I remember all of you so clearly 6 years later because at Elan I was forced not to just see you as students, but as people who were in a bad place (literally and figuratively) and trying to get out.  I hope some of the thinking, discussing, and philosophising we did over some great works of literature (and song writing) helped you move in the direction you needed to move.
Best of luck to all of you.  And always remember, "There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so." (Hamlet)
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2004, 08:06:00 AM »
Mr lavaleee its Jordan, its great to hear from you, u were proly the greatest teacher i have ever had..

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2004, 08:14:00 AM »
and my email is all over this site, hit me up!!! your class was the only one i have ever gotten an A+ in, u even inspired me to write. they day u stood me up at the teachers meeting for my writing ambitions, even when i was shot down and shoe laceless drove a good message to the gestapo at elan: there was more to life than bullshit therapy, the education that was so lacking at elan, i think u made up for just by being the best teacher i had ever had.. one more thing 1 month to Euro 2004, GOOOOOOOOOO ENGLANNNNNNNNNNNDDDDDDDDDD.
[email protected]

Offline Marina

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2004, 11:47:00 AM »
I admire the teachers of Elan in particular for dealig with all the pressure imposed by the Elan education system and at the same time for their willingness to teach "the bad kids" for such low pay.

I'd actually look forwards to school time, since I felt so miserable in the house. School was the only time when there was no dichotomy, no fucking pull-ups, no arguing. We were just students trying to learn something. Most teachers there were extremely caring people.

I don't like the Elan educational sysytem and in my opinion, knowledge is something that can't be censored. You can't blame a teacher for encouraging his or her students, or simply for being liked. Tha basis of the Elan educational system is rather weak and I've had to do a lot of studying on my own in order to catch up with the other college students. Still, it's given many people hope for their futures. It gave us something to believe in as far as academics.

My favourite teacher was Mrs. Rourke. She was so caring that she used to visit Elan for X-mas and Thanksgiving. She used to go see me when I was on the corner and talk to me. When she moved out of Maine, she gave me her new address but Elan didn't give me permission to write to her and I don't have her address anymore. Does anyone remember her?

Peace!

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2004, 07:26:00 PM »
im bumping this one again.
-the bumper

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2004, 11:46:00 PM »
Does anyone remember Mrs. Rourke's first name?

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2004, 12:02:00 AM »
karen

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2004, 03:02:00 AM »
Im racking my brains. Mr lavalee such a familiar name
I know I had him but I cant place it. DAMN

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2004, 03:09:00 AM »
ya sum teachers were quite cool,, given the  enviroment,,,altho my stay in parsonfield  blasted my early elan daze out of my head,, i do remember   an english teacher while at 5, lettin class listen to umma gumma ,,{ grandchester meadows,, several species}  as a example of imagery of words and music,,,,   :em:

Offline Sheik Yerbouti

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2004, 11:41:00 AM »
summer 97, he taught english for the elan 7 kids.
jesus has risen, and he thinks you are a cocksucker\"

Offline Tatiana

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2005, 02:35:00 PM »
Mr. Lavallee,

I want to email you.. Can you give me an email address if you see this.

Tatiana (ur former student from e - 7)

Offline Tatiana

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2005, 02:42:00 PM »