Author Topic: IS CEDU SLIGHTLY LIKE IRAQ ?  (Read 3418 times)

Offline Maximus

• View Profile
IS CEDU SLIGHTLY LIKE IRAQ ?
« on: May 07, 2004, 12:23:00 PM »
[ This Message was edited by: Maximus on 2004-05-12 17:36 ]
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
    • http://wwf.Fornits.com/
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2004, 03:29:00 PM »
I know how you feel. Thought you might apreciate this.

http://fornits.com/glory.htm

To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children; to earn the appreciation of honest critics and endure the betrayal of false friends; to appreciate beauty, to find the best in others; to leave the world a little better; whether by a healthy child, a garden patch or a redeemed social condition; to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is the meaning of success.
--Ralph Waldo Emerson

"Don\'t let the past remind us of what we are not now."
~ Crosby Stills Nash & Young, Sweet Judy Blue Eyes

Offline chinsk

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2004, 06:51:00 PM »
Not to be a dick or anything, but how about we keep the political talk off the board.  There are a million forums one could visit to have those kinds of talks.  It will simply detract from the real point of the board.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2004, 03:17:00 PM »
Section: THE HANDLE

Page: B1

Author: By Kevin Keating Staff writer

The parent company for three pricey schools for troubled teens near Bonners Ferry is being sued by two

former students for fraud, racketeering and battery.

The suit was filed in District Court on Tuesday. It alleges that Rocky Mountain Academy, Northwest

Academy, Ascent and their California-based parent company, CEDU Educational Services Inc., grossly

overcharge parents, and have ill-trained staff who verbally and physically abuse students.

Alleged abuses include one student's arm being broken by a counselor and several students being

punished by sitting on stools in the cold for as long as two days.

School officials referred questions to their attorney, David Wohlgemuth. He said he had not seen the

complaint and could not comment on it.

The lawsuit claims the schools' counselors are paid based on how long they keep students enrolled.

Counselors receive bonus pay if they can persuade parents to transfer their children into other schools or

programs run by the company, according to the lawsuit.

Programs can cost from $6,800 a month to $16,000 for a six-week outdoor course.

Much of the lawsuit stems from information parents and lawyers received about the school after a student

riot in January 1997. Five people were injured, including students and school staff members in Bonners

Ferry.

Boundary County law enforcement was called in to quell the riot. It launched an investigation of the school,

but no charges were filed. The riot was not reported to Idaho health and welfare officials. But after reading

about the melee in the newspaper, state Child Protective Services officials launched an investigation of

Northwest Academy, a rustic outdoor program.

``It is our belief that the cause of the riot was the result of frustration by students over mistreatment by a

number of staff towards these children,'' said a health and welfare report. The report is included in the

lawsuit.

CEDU charged former student Kevin Accomazzo's parents $30 to drive their son to the hospital after a

school counselor restrained and broke the teenager's arm, the complaint said.

According to reports by health and welfare officials - included in the lawsuit - the counselor grabbed

Accomazzo and put him in a bear hug to stop him from leaving a room. He wrestled the teen to the ground,

and they both heard a ``snap.''

In their report, health officials said the counselor laid on top of Accomazzo for 10 to 15 minutes before

sending someone for medical help. After the teen's arm was put in a cast, the doctor ordered him not to lift

anything heavier than a pencil.

But Accomazzo was put back to work at the camp, chipping ice, shoveling snow and hauling pots of water,

according to the lawsuit. His arm failed to heal properly. It had to be rebroken and a plate surgically

implanted, the lawsuit said. Weeks after the surgery, Accomazzo was forced to sleep in a damp, unheated

tent.

``It is our opinion that this injury should never have occurred,'' the report by health and welfare officials

stated. They recommended Accomazzo be pulled from the school and the counselor ``should not ... work

with children in any capacity at CEDU.''

Accomazzo's broken arm was not reported to state health and welfare officials as is required by law.

The school has a consultant, Rich Donavon, to make sure it complies with state requirements. Donavon, the

former director of the Idaho Department of Health and Welfare, claimed the broken arm was an accident and

didn't need to be reported.

``During the previous two years we have made it clear to the administrators of CEDU, including consultant

Rich Donavon, that any suspicious injury needs to be reported,'' the health and welfare report said.

``Injuries such as that experienced by Kevin Accomazzo clearly should have been reported, along with the

findings from a medical examination.''

The school was also chastised by health officials for making students sit on stools in the cold as

punishment. Some students were allegedly placed on the stools for as long as two days. ``Allegations

regarding abuse and neglect by specific employees of Northwest Academy are found to be valid,'' the

health and welfare report said. A copy of the report was sent to state officials who license the academy.

Accomazzo and his parents also claim they were bilked for thousands of dollars. The Accomazzos paid

$16,000 for a six-week outdoor program called Ascent.

In addition to tuition, the family was charged $60 to $80 a month for laundry, and $40 for their son's ride to

the dentist. A van typically took six students to Sandpoint for a dental visit, a 30-mile ride. All the students

were charged $40 for the trip, according to the lawsuit.

``These charges are exorbitant,'' said the lawsuit filed by local attorneys Steve Very and Todd Reed, who

also is a deputy prosecutor for Boundary County. They asked a judge to bar CEDU from continuing to bill

parents for ``unconscionable'' sums of money and sending out false billing statements.

Claims made by Stanton Lewis, another former student who filed suit, are similar to those of Accomazzo.

The lawsuit alleges CEDU has breached its contract by not providing the education that was promised.

The CEDU program is one of the largest employers in Bonners Ferry. Some famous troubled teens have

attended the program, including children of Barbara Walters and Roseanne Barr.

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2004, 03:23:00 PM »
The comparison between what is now happening in Iraq prisoner of war camps and CEDU is an important discussion. If a person does not want to be a dick then he would be best off not trying to control speach

Offline chinsk

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2004, 06:10:00 PM »
Well then why don't we start a conversation on how cedu can be compared to just about every other pow camp that occured in any war, you can find similarities in any of them.  I will stand by my earlier statement.  If you want to converse about politics I suggest finding the correct group, you will have a much more interesting conversation there.  BTW no one is trying to control your speach.
On 2004-05-09 12:23:00, Anonymous wrote:

"The comparison between what is now happening in Iraq prisoner of war camps and CEDU is an important discussion. If a person does not want to be a dick then he would be best off not trying to control speach"

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2004, 06:25:00 PM »
On 2004-05-07 09:23:00, Maximus wrote:

Now I know there is a false analogy here. But Does this abuse in Iraq trigger any feelings of trauma in other people with regard to slight similarities to CEDU? It does in me - and I didn't even experience much of it directly.

I didn't know exactly how to respond to this when I first read it. But it's been banging around the back of my mind for awhile now.

Feelings of trauma, no. More like a noticable lack of shock and outrage compared to other people I know. I view this story very much like Ellen Degeneres's "coming out".

What, you didn't know that when you get a bunch of young people whipped into a lather over subjugating an enemy that they'll abuse and humiliate that perceived enemy if they get a chance? Does it honestly surprise you that these same kids who we train to bomb and kill are somewhat jaded about inflicting pain? Were you born last night?

Sorry, maybe I'm too jaded. But this is a nice example of why I identify as a Libertarian. People will be assholes. There's no changing that. But we could eliminate our biggest troublemakers' ability to be assholes to people accross the planet and to pretend they're doing it for our benefit.

"Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys."--P.J. O'Rourke

He, who has nothing, and who himself belongs to another, must be defended by him, whose property he is, and needs no arms. But he, who thinks he is his own master, and has what he can call his own, ought to have arms to defend himself, and what he possesses; else he lives precariously, and at discretion.

--James Burgh 1774

Offline Maximus

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2004, 12:50:00 PM »
[ This Message was edited by: Maximus on 2004-05-12 17:37 ]

Offline Maximus

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2004, 01:12:00 PM »
[ This Message was edited by: Maximus on 2004-05-12 17:36 ]

Offline chinsk

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2004, 01:38:00 PM »
I will pretty much end my participation in this thread right here.  You have misconstrued my comments on keeping on topic to some type of attempted suppression of your freedom of speech.  The below quote does nothing but make you seem childish in my eyes.  Go ahead and practice your "free speech", no one is trying to stop you.  Good bye.

On 2004-05-10 09:50:00, Maximus wrote:

"Dear Chinsk,

If it is my discussion or speech that you intend to redirect then you will get more and more of what you resist.

"He who would be a man must be a nonconformist"

(Emerson)

If it is conformity and control you want, then I am your worst nightmare. If you choose to go to battle with free thought - let me know how that works out. Here is a quote for you.

"We are Americans. There are a lot of screwed up things about us right now, but one thing that most of us have in common is that we don't like someone telling us we can't see something. We despise censors, and the worst censors are those who would dare to limit thoughts and ideas and silence dissent. THAT is un-American. If I have to travel across the country and show it (his new movie) in city parks (or, as one person offered yesterday, to show it on the side of his house for the neighborhood to see), that is what I will do."

Michael Moore 2004

And, I make this guy look like Mr. Rogers. Look at those films and see what your president represents and if you like it - tell us. If you want to hide it then that is telling about you. You must have very little knowledge about what this country stands for. Why don' you post something you consider valuable? Why don?t you take a stand about something that someone wouldn't like (i.e., anything).

There are a lot of people out there who could not think or talk their way out of a paper sack. And those are the ones who want the rest of us to keep their opinions to themselves. Ironically, they are also the ones who rant and rave about freedom and hang flags and eagles in their trucks - all the while advocating censorship, stifling dissent, shutting down free thought, speech and dialogue. They are usually those religious right assholes who preach "turn the other cheek" and "thou shalt not kill" while they say privately "pray for aids to kill them all" and "a dead rag-head is a good rag head." I hear this sickening language from religious conservatives every day.

You can't stop the truth from being told in a free society. And, I'm sure, that while you are telling the rest of us to shut up, you bemoan violations to free speech and our bill of rights. Now change your perspective - looking at one's colon 24 hours a day is permissible but it is unhealthy and does not leave room for intellectual growth.

"

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2004, 01:56:00 PM »
On 2004-05-10 10:38:00, chinsk wrote:

Go ahead and practice your "free speech", no one is trying to stop you.  Good bye.

On 2004-05-10 09:50:00, Maximus wrote:

"Dear Chinsk,

If it is my discussion or speech that you intend to redirect then you will get more and more of what you resist.

"He who would be a man must be a nonconformist"

(Emerson)

If it is conformity and control you want, then I am your worst nightmare. If you choose to go to battle with free thought - let me know how that works out. Here is a quote for you.

"We are Americans. There are a lot of screwed up things about us right now, but one thing that most of us have in common is that we don't like someone telling us we can't see something. We despise censors, and the worst censors are those who would dare to limit thoughts and ideas and silence dissent. THAT is un-American. If I have to travel across the country and show it (his new movie) in city parks (or, as one person offered yesterday, to show it on the side of his house for the neighborhood to see), that is what I will do."

Michael Moore 2004

And, I make this guy look like Mr. Rogers. Look at those films and see what your president represents and if you like it - tell us. If you want to hide it then that is telling about you. You must have very little knowledge about what this country stands for. Why don' you post something you consider valuable? Why don?t you take a stand about something that someone wouldn't like (i.e., anything).

There are a lot of people out there who could not think or talk their way out of a paper sack. And those are the ones who want the rest of us to keep their opinions to themselves. Ironically, they are also the ones who rant and rave about freedom and hang flags and eagles in their trucks - all the while advocating censorship, stifling dissent, shutting down free thought, speech and dialogue. They are usually those religious right assholes who preach "turn the other cheek" and "thou shalt not kill" while they say privately "pray for aids to kill them all" and "a dead rag-head is a good rag head." I hear this sickening language from religious conservatives every day.

You can't stop the truth from being told in a free society. And, I'm sure, that while you are telling the rest of us to shut up, you bemoan violations to free speech and our bill of rights. Now change your perspective - looking at one's colon 24 hours a day is permissible but it is unhealthy and does not leave room for intellectual growth.

"

"

Offline Antigen

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2004, 03:12:00 PM »
On 2004-05-10 10:12:00, Maximus wrote:

What did he do wrong?

Nothing at all, probably. There just isn't quite enough support for it yet. But it's coming along. All the Western states are in open rebellion on medical marijuana. And there have been a few counties in recent years in states like Wyoming who have excercised their right to dissallow federal agents acting against their residents w/o permission. If I remember right, that had to do w/ 2nd amendment rights violations as well as tax enforcement.

The first American Revolution was not carried out by peasants w/ clubs. It was initiated and supported by the sitting governments of each locality. I think we're going to do it again as we did over 200 years ago. It is the American way.  :tup:

The spirit of this country is totally adverse to a large military force.
--Thomas Jefferson

Offline Maximus

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2004, 04:28:00 PM »
[ This Message was edited by: Maximus on 2004-05-12 17:38 ]