Author Topic: Seeking Personal Accounts  (Read 2916 times)

Offline Timoclea

• View Profile
Seeking Personal Accounts
« on: May 03, 2004, 10:48:00 AM »
Hi, for any of you who have gotten to know me a little on Fornits, I'm Julie Cochrane and I'm a Science Fiction author.  I'm not a bigtime A-list writer, but I may get some hits on my website along the way that the normal range of sites blowing the whistle on this industry don't get.  I may get some different people that might not otherwise hear about this problem.

I'm in the process of writing an article, that I plan to put on my website, about why the Troubled Teen Industry is a problem that needs people's personal attention, and their calls and letters to their elected representatives.

I'm hoping the article will be the kind of thing people will print and hand out to their friends and neighbors and spread the word.

One of the things I need, to document what goes on  in these places, is personal accounts from people who don't mind that personal account going up on a website, with their name (and city and state--no address).  I'd need contact information to verify I'm talking to a real person.  If there's a reason a real live person doesn't want their name up, I can do what magazines and newspapers do with letters and say "name withheld on request"--but it will reduce the impact of the story.  I'd rather have the story and not be able to print the name than not have it at all, but I'd prefer to be able to publish names.

What I'm interested in is: why you believe you were sent, which facility you were in, what dates, what you remember of the rules for the different levels and the punishments for breaking the rules, what you wore, what your average day was like, what the food was like, whether any therapy was confrontational or supportive, whether students had rule enforcement power, whether students were expected to snitch on others, what kind of contact you were or weren't allowed with the outside world, whether you witnessed or experienced any acts of egregious abuse, whether you were drugged and the circumstances, whether you experienced or saw restraints or takedowns used on someone who was not immediately being violent to self or others, whether you experienced or saw denial of appropriate medical or dental care, what any education provided was like, the equipment and training for you and conditions of any "wilderness" activities, whether you graduated or your parents pulled you out early, whether you went on to college and whether you graduated, whether you worked in a program in your adult life, whether you have been diagnosed with PTSD or any other program-caused injuries or conditions, and your relationship with your parents now.

Personal accounts, whether positive or negative or mixed, will only be considered if they include the approximate amount of detail above.  I reserve the right to choose what to publish, and I reserve the right to base that decision on my own criteria including asking for additional detail.  (i.e.--no detail-bare "I Just Got Out and the Program Saved My Life!" accounts will be considered.)

I recognize that there are conditions that require residential treatment and that there is good residential treatment out there, and that disclaimer will be in the article.  But this article is, necessarily, going to be primarily about the problems and the need for reform.

Please feel free to share this request for personal accounts with other program survivors you know, either personally or on the internet.

Mostly, I intend to put up these accounts with a link from the article to them, and use them as part of my supporting documentation.

When I talk about this industry to people, the first question they ask is, "Who says so?  How do you know?"

I think personal experience accounts from survivors will go a long way towards convincing the skeptical.

You may include the names of program employees or owners in your accounts, in fact I would prefer you do so, but I will redact/change the names of individuals to ensure that the focus of the story is that it's a personal account, and for obvious legal reasons.

I reserve the right to edit any accounts for length, spelling, grammar, or readability *but* any edited accounts will be run by that survivor for approval prior to being posted.

I don't expect to submit this article for print anywhere.  If I do end up submitting it or giving permission for reprint, any proceeds will go to the Red Cross.  I'm not writing this for money.

I would really appreciate any personal stories people would be willing to send me.  I think it's very important to get the word out and stop this from happening to future generations of teens.

Please send any accounts, with contact information, to [email protected]

Julie

The only maxim of a free government ought to be to trust no man living with power to endanger the public liberty.
-- John Adams, (1772)

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2004, 11:04:00 AM »
bump---Ginger, I hope this is okay--I want people to see it.--thx

Offline Nihilanthic

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2004, 07:37:00 PM »
Where will these be posted?
DannyB on the internet:I CALLED A LAWYER TODAY TO SEE IF I COULD SUE YOUR ASSES FOR DOING THIS BUT THAT WAS NOT POSSIBLE.

CCMGirl on program restraints: "DON\'T TAZ ME BRO!!!!!"

TheWho on program survivors: "From where I sit I see all the anit-program[sic] people doing all the complaining and crying."

Offline cherish wisdom

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2004, 08:14:00 PM »
Some of the victims of these programs are still minors - you would need their parent's consent to print their names.  You may tell those who are still minors or victims of sexual assault that their names can be with held because of their circumstances.  I don't know of too many  sexual assault victims who want their names in print (in fact it's against the law without their authorized consent). You need to realize that many of the female patients have been sexually assaulted.  

Emotions rule the world; Is it any wonder that it's so mucked up?!
http://fornits.com/rates.htm' target='_new'>Bill Warbis

If you lack wisdom ask of God and it shall be given to you.\"

Offline darkhunterhope

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2004, 12:17:00 AM »
Really? Sexually assualted? I mean I know that a lot of us were sexually harassed, but I guess I just never thought of staff sexually assualting the girls, then again anyone ever tried to touch me or my friends in the wrong way I'd just grab they're wrist and twist it so damn hard that I'd sprain it, then they'd leave us alone and they never said anything, I wonde why, but then again, I have only run into one guy like that really.
o be able to look back upon one\'s past life with satisfaction is to live twice.

-  Marcus Valerius Martial

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2004, 10:49:00 AM »
Sexual assault can include many things; especially when your talking about minors.
For instance, A girl who gives it up for some favor or privilege may not view herself a victim of sexual assault, but she is. Especially so, if she is a "student" who provides the favor to staff.
And, I have read accounts where assault of a more "typical" nature took place. Remember, gropping is assault; and exposing the family jewels is a type of assault; as well as threats of sexual predidation for the purpose of intimidation and humiliation is also sexual assault; Especially in the situation of a captive "Student" and staff.
And its a big mistake to think girls are the only, or even most common victims. As a matter of fact, from my admittedly limited experience; the more common victims of such things in The Program have been young men.
There are persistent but as yet (as far as I know) unproven accounts of upper level kids taken off grounds to parties and allowed drugs and drink in return for the kinds of favors alluded to earlier.
If *you* are a student (or contrite staff) who experienced this; you need to know this was sexual assault and you are a victim (or perp) of molestation and exploitation and it needs to be reported.
The national center for missing and EXPLOITED children would like to hear from you; as would ISAC or any other watch dog group or organization.

Offline cherish wisdom

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2004, 03:55:00 PM »
I think that dark  hunter may have misunderstood. What I meant to say was that many of the female, and some of the male students/patients are mentally ill (depressed/self destructive, suicidal) as a result of a sexual assault that occure prior to admission.  This may be the reason they are using drugs, self mutilating and having suicidal thoughts. Often the predator is a friend or family members so therapists frequently recommend residential programs to get the kids away from the predator and the aftermath (especially if there is a stressful legal pursuit). Perhaps darkhunterhope can shed some light on this since she was in a female facility.  

And suffering is not a badge of honor. Experiencing tyranny does not deserve a bow or a kiss. The honor is in removing the stumbling stone. The honor is in the impolite destruction of tyranny through honest, powerful dialogue - not etiquette. Not political correctness.

http://fornits.com/wwf/bb_profile.php?mode=view&user=1153' target='_new'>Maximus

If you lack wisdom ask of God and it shall be given to you.\"

Offline darkhunterhope

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2004, 11:53:00 PM »
ah, okay, I understand now. And shed some 'light' on what exactly, I mean I can shed light on a lot of things, but that would take many moons.
o be able to look back upon one\'s past life with satisfaction is to live twice.

Offline Timoclea

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2004, 08:12:00 AM »
On 2004-05-05 16:37:00, Nihilanthic wrote:

"Where will these be posted?"

If/when I get enough material to use as support for the article, I'll put a link off my home page to the article, and the personal accounts would be part of the material hyperlinked from within the article.

I am not a vegetarian because I love animals;  I am a vegetarian because I hate plants.  
-- A. Whitney Brown

Offline Timoclea

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2004, 08:16:00 AM »
On 2004-05-05 17:14:00, cherish wisdom wrote:

"Some of the victims of these programs are still minors - you would need their parent's consent to print their names.  You may tell those who are still minors or victims of sexual assault that their names can be with held because of their circumstances.  I don't know of too many  sexual assault victims who want their names in print (in fact it's against the law without their authorized consent). You need to realize that many of the female patients have been sexually assaulted.  

Emotions rule the world; Is it any wonder that it's so mucked up?!
http://fornits.com/rates.htm' target='_new'>Bill Warbis

"

I'll check on whether the person giving the account is a minor, and then handle that with the individual minor if it arises.

On the matter of rape survivors, as a rape survivor myself, I'm sympathetic to any issues arising from that.  Again, if someone contacts me they personally have something they're willing to say and obviously whether they're identified or "Name Withheld" is up to them.

Were it left to me to decide whether we should have a government without newspapers, or newspapers without a government, I should not hesitate a moment to prefer the latter.
http://laissezfairebooks.com/product.cfm?op=view&pid=FF7485&aid=10247' target='_new'> Thomas Jefferson, 1787

Offline Anonymous

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2004, 07:03:00 PM »
Teenagers post on the web all the time using their real names without their parents' permission.

If this is only going on a website, if a kid wants to use his or her name, he or she can.

There's no law requiring a release-- journalists tend to get them only because their employers are afraid of being sued.  They don't get them for print publications much of the time other than books and some major magazines, but tend to for television.

Also, kids write for their school newspapers-- which are often online these days-- all the time without getting specific permission.

Kids have very few rights, its true, but the first amendment seems to apply to them so long as they aren't writing or speaking for a publication run by a school.

Offline darkhunterhope

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2004, 08:38:00 PM »
blah blah blah blah blah, whatever, bottom line, it's up to the kid if they want they're name up or not and that is all there is to it, I sent a e-mail to whoever started this thread of who's name I cannot remember righ tnow, sorry, but I have no clue if they got it, been waiting for a reply before I waste my time typing up the other shit that goes on at and in Provo.